Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hey guys, since that Goon race pack never actually happened, I'm gonna throw my own together.

Submit your custom empires now!

Anyone who wants to contribute, feel free to post in this thread and include the words "SPECIES SUBMISSION" and then put the actual data for the race in pastebin or a code tag or something (I'm just gonna search through the thread later looking for those words and I don't want to miss yours). Also include a screenshot of the details if you want. Resubmitting your previous submissions is fine. I'm going to try to push this out by next Friday. Include a description or your entry will be REJECTED.

You can get the data for your custom race from "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/user_empire_designs.txt"

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Anticheese posted:

How do you drug a synth?

Synthetic drugs. Obviously.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I don't know why I asked for a spoiler tag, haha. I meant like a code tag or something else that obviously sets it apart form the body of the post. Spoiler tag is bad.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Is it all right to link to a pastebin? Is there a limit on submissions?

Yeah in hindsight a pastebin is probably better.

As for the limit, consider 3 to be a soft limit. That's about how many I'd probably be willing to do before getting bored with your civs and "forgetting" to add the rest, unless they are really good, in which case there is effectively no limit!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait, "collectivists" (lol that name) are the only ones able to keep slaves??
I thought you just had to be a non-individualist :(

Collectivists, Xenophobes, and Spiritualists can keep bio-slaves.

Collectivism will also be no more in the near future.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I would pay real DLC dollars for a graphics pack of just more humans. Militarist humans, religious humans, space hippies, happy utopia humans. Basically give me a human clothing pack and I'll buy it, specially if it's some how tied into the ethos system. So my break-away xenophobic militarist empire dress like fascists and it's easier to know who to punch in the face.

Have you installed any/all of the additional clothing mods?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Especially since: Properly responsive AI is often a really hard problem. You want to make the AI good but not TOO good. You need it to be smart, but also to be stupid - but the right kind of stupid. You often need to build multiple AIs for different difficulties... and if you want it to be genuinely good, you also want multiple AI's for different "personalities" as well so the players have to fight against various strategies instead of the same thing over and over again.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 26, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

CrazyTolradi posted:

Prepare for war, but let the hostile civ declare war so the defensive pact is to your advantage. Try making a pact with someone else if possible. If/when the hostile civ declares war, try taking a planet or two of theirs as an objective.

I just learned that making multiple defensive pacts really sucks when your opponent decides to declare on your smallest ally instead of you, meaning that no one else in your defensive alliance is actually going to help.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I find that even at 100% there are often times where parts of the galaxy seem devoid of habitable planets or are just full of grabage planets that aren't really worth settling on. This often leads to huge areas where you're not able to exploit anything because there's no way to extend ypur influence through it, so it just sits unused.

Is this... bad?

I have found a bit of neutral unclaimed territory can often be a good thing.

PittTheElder posted:

The most human of moves.

Still, I feel like Defensive Pacts are almost pointless in this game past the very beginning, it's not hard to outbuild even an advanced start AI.

Yeah but unfortunately the two biggest non-FE AI in the game joined in on that war together. I could have beaten either one of them, but both was... not terribly doable. (I also had it on hard, admittedly)

It doesn't seem fair that they can declare war on another guy to seize MY planets and thus get around my defensive pacts.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Poil posted:

I wonder if Solitary and Communal wouldn't be better if they worked like Charismatic and Repugnant. But Communal would probably need to be at +0.5%. Or maybe they were given flat 5% because it's simpler and redundant to go further with it. :v:

Yeah, it would be fun to alter a race into being shortlived or something just to hurt them some more. Or remove their fast breeder trait at least. drat repugnant pests!

Communal and Solitary should work based on adjacent pops. +2%/-3% per pop.

For xenophobes, alien pops don't count for communal and count double for solitary unless enslaved. For any pops, robots and droids don't count for either and synths depend on policy.

Also introduce a variant called Highly Territorial that gives a bigger penalty, but only for pops of the same species.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Splicer posted:

GlyphGryph posted:

Communal and Solitary should work based on adjacent pops. +2%/-3% per pop.

For xenophobes, alien pops don't count for communal and count double for solitary unless enslaved. For any pops, robots and droids don't count for either and synths depend on policy.

Also introduce a variant called Highly Territorial that gives a bigger penalty, but only for pops of the same species.

This would be cool because it gives you a playstyle with a reduced incentive to remove tile blockers, since your guys are actually super happy about being surrounded by giant carnivorous life forms instead of their friends or family. More importantly, a bunch of decadent solitary humans only happy when they're living on planets with a minimum 2:1 enslaved robot:utopian human ratio is basically Asimov's Spacers.

See, Wiz? The idea is popular! Make it so, and bring me one step closer to my precious Ur-quan with a Territorial trait!

Roland Jones posted:

I was suggesting this in the Dev Diary thread in response to people suggesting such a trait (would increase food production from them being Livestock and perhaps Processing) and debating whether or not it'd a good idea since making your own species with it would be silly, unless you're role-playing or something. As an option for genetically engineering a captured species, though, it's both appropriate for evil empires and rather horrifying, in a good way. And it'd easily make it a "positive" trait, something people were debating, since you're getting a benefit from it.

Hey, adding it to your own species basically gives you a free trait point, with the possible unimportant side effect of making any sentient-eating species see conquering you as THE priority target.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Well, as a positive trait (i.e. one that costs points) it doesn't make sense to add to your own species, and as-is you can't add negative traits so it'd have to be positive for the genetic engineering scenario. Also adding it to a slave species in your empire is pretty much a pure positive here (boosts their food production, literally the only thing Livestock slaves do), so even if you could add negative traits it wouldn't make sense as one when looking at the mechanics, even if thinking about it a species being tastier is an odd "advantage" for them.

You can pick negative traits to start with... Delicious is obviously something that should be inherent to your species. Also, it would obviously be a negative trait.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

My species will be delicous livestock, seeking out alien species to serve them :V

Give us a trait that lets our pops be happy if others eat them, or at least alright with it!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Sigh, why are my spiritual militarists not allowed to purge or enslave people.

I guess I should have gone for xenophobic rather than full spiritual for my space confederates but goddammit, the idea of 'The Wrath of God' theocratic dictatorship just seemed right.

I guess I can console it in but then I gotta do it every time I play because it doesn't stick.

They are, you just have to pick the government type that allows slavery. At least that is how it worked last time I played spiritualist.

Edit: Looks like that was changed, that sucks. Especially since the description basically says everyone in the state is a slave still. Weird.

Rather than using the console just mod the ethos, imo. I can throw up a quick mod for you tonight that does that if you want

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 29, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait, what's an ascension goal?
Is that a real in-game thing?

Because my game has reached the point where all I can really do is take some chunks out of the massive radical purifier empire every decade or so. Which isn't exactly a win-con.

Sadly they are not the sort of wincon-like end goal mission accomplished sort of thing the thread discussed, just another in place modifer for your empire, at least from how it looks so far. Although admittedly a pretty cool one

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 31, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also yes please give us a dino earth

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Wiz posted:

People are a lot less willing to accept losing planets when they didn't have a chance to fight back. It's the same with say losing territory through espionage/sabotage, things that you can only fight back against 'indirectly' tend to be very frustrating when they have a large impact on the player's experience.

If you implement a culture system without giving a powerful counterplay system aka "a way to fight back" you have only implemented half of the system so yeah duh players dont lile half finished game systems.

that doesnt mean peaceful annexation is bad it just means you need to finish the feature. Blue control decks in Magic arent inherently bad but they would be if there were no way to fight back against them.

Also again I am gonna point out there have been strategy games like 7k where fighting back and countering espionage is often fun in and of itself.

Ironically enough cultural annexation and espionage based systems when implented together can provide strong counterplays for each other.

(also, no way to fight back is actually a good way to describe the current combat system since counterplays are so limited and weak under the majority of circumstances. An espionage and culture system that let you engage on multiple battlefields could help fix that... or make it worse depending on how you implemented it of course)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 3, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Wiz posted:

When I say 'fight back' I literally mean 'fight back' as in shoot lasers at it.

Then let one of the counterplays be literally shooting lasers at and violently suppressing any cultural uprising or attempted annexation? And then shooting with lasers anyone that complains about it?

Maybe the pacifists would be appalled, but fellow militarists would totally understand your completely justified defensive war against those hippies.

Also personally speaking I would and do usually find a war of influence and organizational priorities and planning much more enjoyable than mashing number stacks against each other. I understand that for a chunk of players the combat is important but imo its still the worst part of the game and i would really love a way to "fight back" against other empires that didnt rely completely on it. Right now we have... what? Frontier Outposts and thats it?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

If you can see a ship on your sensors you already can tell its exact construction (unless it's a FE/pirate/other nonstandard ship).

It would be really nice if I had some way to remember them, though

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Except I totally said a (non-pacifist) Empire should have the opportunity to stop it from happening through judicious use of violence.

But it's not like it's impossible for peaceful transitions to happen - are you ignoring the whole Scotland leaving the UK to join the EU thing that actually potentially happened in real life? Do you think the UK would have shot them to stop it?

And they're on the same Island, not separated by a vast gulf of empty space.

Pacifist Empires, especially Democracies, wouldn't have the violent suppression option but would obviously pretty adept at counter-cultural warfare of their own. Adding more non-shooty gameplay for Pacifist and less militaristic Empires to engage in would be a good thing.

Also, you could do things like funding and promoting this sort of result hoping they will violently put down the peaceful secession attempt and use that as a cassus belli to convince a few other normally pacifist countries to invade them with you as a result of the rep hit and "liberate" the planet directly into your Empire the way you can with planets that are conquering back (I think that's how that works?) in violation of the normal liberation limitations pacifists operate under.

But yeah you're right outright stealing a planet will be a bit more rare, but stealing some resources through 'heavy investment' and 'media popularity' should be more than doable.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 3, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Rakthar posted:

I'm glad that I get to read a recounting of the argument you had on reddit arguing about the same old labels that have been discussed since release, as well as explaining that your position is the right one because you are not a crazy person.

These are new labels actually

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Truga posted:

Doesn't high happiness provide a percentage bonus to pop productivity?

with the faction rework i hope they remove that mechanic because it was super dumb.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 5, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah the faction system is completely different and so intrinsically entwined with your government ethics that it seems entirely pointless to try and figure out any particular strategies right now.

It does a good job in making happiness actually useful though, there needs to be some distinction between 'just happy enough' and 'really happy' otherwise you will always want just enough happiness to keep people in line and any extra is kind of useless.

It actually does a real lovely job at making happiness useful and by its very nature as like a fourth order widespread benefit it is super hard to balance too.

They might be keeping it, but the new faction system seems far more effective as a tool to give happiness real and significant value. Make happiness represent stability and resiliance at cost, while unhappiness is cheaper but risky if you dont maintain strong control over your citizens

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 5, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Zurai posted:

Yeah, +20% production of every resource sure is useless.

This is such a stupid comment in like three different ways at least.

One I didnt say it was useless, I said it was a lovely way to make it useful. Having every tech you research give you 50% more minerals would make them more useful but would still be a lovely way to obtain that result.

Second its absolutely not a 20% increase in production. Dont confuse whats displayed with the actual result.

Third, yeah a 20% increase in production from a feature you basically have to shape your whole empire around to achieve actually is super lovely and we arent even getting that

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 5, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Truga posted:

Actually, it's a really good mechanic.

why?

quote:

Happy people are far more productive than angry people, even enslaved ones.

this is as untrue as it is seemingly irrelevant

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Truga posted:

Yeah you're right, that's why all the world superpowers run on slaves, because slaves are more productive

in game slaves are more productive. That is what i meant by it not being true. i didnt think you were going for quite this level of irrelevance. "something sort of similat happens in real life" is not an argument that something is a good game mechanic

Truga posted:

Because it gives a benefit of going beyond an arbitrary number. Numbers that give a penalty when below number x, but absolutely nothing when above the same number is poo poo game design. It's why most RPGs have gotten rid of accuracy, or give accuracy some kind of additional bonus when you go above 100%.

"It is better than literally nothing" is a pretty weak argument especially when you arent arguing against someone advocating literally nothing. Also your points dont even tie together on top of assuming half the system would still be in place and its just :psy;

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 5, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Splicer posted:

Why is it super dumb?

Because its boring. It does nothing to actually change the way you play or approach the game as a result.

Also the bonus is minimal after you consider the resources and opportunity costs of achieving it.

A diplomacy bonus would be more exciting than yet another minimal resource bonus for which you need to build a complex spreadsheet to figure out if its even a bonus at all

As a placeholder its better than nothing but woth the rework implied by the next update I am hoping they replace it with something a lot more fun

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 5, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Until there's a way to meaningfully interact with other empires beyond warring with them, the game cannot really be played in a pacifist manner.

Based on the Wiz comment that players dont like problems with counters that arent shooty laser based, combined with him not liking victories that arent military based, combined with him not liking the idea of victory being applied in a non zero sum way... I do have a lot of hope for this game, but satisfying pacifist themed gameplay is definitely not among them. I sort of get the feeling that Wiz basically doesnt believe players who like non military solutions and goals exist, or least in numbers significant enough to try and cater to. (I base this on him actually questoning whether people who like economic and tech victories in other games are real)

Even if he was convinced they were worth appealing too I am not sure he grasps the mindset well enough to design as well for it as he does for the rest, but hey, I would love to be pleasantly surprised here!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 6, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

For economic and tech victories, it's tough because the map you play on is a territory map. What it tracks is military strength and expansion, not economic or technological success. So it's hard to see who else is performing well and how.

If he was open to considering non exclusive victories as victories on par with he current military victories (which are basically just an arbitrary congrats you won popup) then that would be completely irrelevant. :V

Its the specific combination of different things rather than any specific one of them

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

John Lee posted:

If you're almost entirely concerned about which options have the best mechanical benefit and you don't care about the flavor at all, this might not be the game for you.

I'm not trying to be condescending, or tell you to get the gently caress out of my precious thread, but if this is how you've been reading my posts, you haven't understood any of them, ever, since literally the most common thing I've suggested as better rewards than number twiddling is more unique events and flavour stuff.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Like I specifically just finished explaining how whether or not the benefit is powerful has nothing to do with whether i think it would be good. With an explicit example of how a powerful benefit would be lovely even though it was strong, because what I really want is mechanics that supporting engaging, interesting, flavourful interaction with those elements over tweaking a few numbers.

I am someone who literally always picks Xenophile or Xenophobe because I love their respective flavour texts for so many events. I have lost every multiplayer game I've played (at least as the game defines winning and losing) and badly because I stick to my gimmick through thick and thin. "Best mechanical benefit" is absolutely the furthest thing from my mind, and the current happiness mechanic doesn't even offer that - it certainly doesn't offer any rewards that someone playing a happiness empire because they want their people to genuinely be happy would care about. And that's what I would love them to implement.

Happiness based events. Faction stuff that is influenced in and based on happiness. Getting treated differently by other Empires, having aliens breaking down your doors to get in (not for the mechanical benefit, either, but just because it would make me happy to know that my people are so happy everyone else wants a piece of it). I don't want happiness to be powerful, I want it to be engaging. Completely different.

I don't know how you got what you wrote from my posts, but I think you completely missed my point.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 6, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Edit: Nevermind.

No one has submitted in a while, so I'm gonna focus on putting together that species pack now instead of arguing about poo poo.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 6, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Goon Species Pack v1.0

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858191485

Have species of your own you want to see added to it? Let me know!

Note: Goon species are set to spawn "ALWAYS". So disable this mod if you don't want to see them around constantly I guess? Open to changing that.

Also: Feel free to submit Fallen Empire flavoured empires as well. I'll also try to include any custom behaviours you might want or anything crazy like that.

Edit: As always, if you want to submit, include the words SPECIES SUBMISSION in your post, since that's what I search the thread for.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 6, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I am so incredibly excited for this update.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Isn't flak and the like actually pretty good against corvettes too?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Coolguye posted:

again though, the question more becomes "what's the best VALUE" because for most of the game you have to husband your resources carefully. you're mostly fighting the entire galaxy here. and in that case using autocannon corvettes or destroyers to counter alpha-strike plasma thrower corvettes is where the smart money is. which makes some sense because if you're slotting autocannons those ships are sure as hell not gonna be useful on anything larger than an enemy destroyer.

Corvs die quick. which means that you lose dps quick and they need to be replaced more often and their shields go down quicker and living metals have a smaller benefit. They also tend to take more damage due to lower armor so their defenses need to be compared too

Destroyers or carriers I could see using to help counter corvettes but i am struggling to imagine why you would field corvettes of your own.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 6, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

why oh why does the list position reset when you make a choice. the worst

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

And to that end, remove Spaceport modules that give a permanent bonus to ships built there.

They have already largely done this and i hope it continues

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Reminding people I want more custom goon races, a lot more, especially some FEs.

If you submitted in the old thread that was NOT to my mod but to the one that got abandoned so please resubmit here.

use the keyword SPECIES SUBMISSION so I notice your post

Also someone mention this in one the stellaris discords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The main problem with federations is the leadership structure. If I could just.. choose not to lead the federation, then they would be great because I could let the AI handle all the war poo poo while I focus on my happy little empire management game. That would totally be worth all the other drawbacks.

• Locked thread