Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not a fan of neologisms.

Reading the thread is making me interested in this. I don't like the look of paradox mapgames generally but this looks sufficiently 4xey to make me like the look of it. Also it doesn't appear to be a MOO clone, which is good because I don't particularly like galciv/moo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

I doubt that's it. It seems more like entering a realm like where the Unbidden come from, or, since this update is named after Banks, Sublimation. "Ascend to a higher plane of existence" and all that.

Running up against a quiet barrier around a section of the galaxy would certainly be one way to do terrain obstacles in space.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A roomba that shuts off the sun is a black hole, surely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Jesus Christ, that's so sick. Like you could have eaten them as non-sentient creatures (maybe??), but nooo, you took the time to raise them up to self-awareness while indoctrinating them into believing that you, their gods, have given them the special and holy mission of being your food. Now they know what happening to them, they know and have been brainwashed or engineered into accepting it. :stonk:

Look a dumb animal may experience distress due to not understanding the vital role it plays in the perpetuation of your species.

It's really more ethical to ensure your food understands and is at peace with its role.

ChickenWing posted:

Alternatively, make a race of Pesce-Pescetarian-Tarians. People who only eat fish who only eat other fish

Pretty sure that's just a shark.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Forcing a degree of specialization I think is good because otherwise your optimal configuration simply becomes the optimal mix of all techs.

One thing I enjoyed about sword of the stars was that it randomly removed techs. Sometimes you just wouldn't have some techs, or even some branches of the tree. Just gotta do without them and adapt.

Doing that for everyone in the game could be cool, some things just aren't possible in the reality of this particular game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does this ever go on sale?

It looks good but my aversion to paradox mapgames and budget makes the standard pricetag a little high. Might be willing to risk it with the new content being shown in streams and on sale though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarquinn posted:

Paradox had it on sale a couple of days ago. :eng99:

Huh, oh well. I was kind of expecting it to maybe go down when the expansion hits as that is usually how steam does it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

If the eat option is limited to xenophobes instead of including authoritarians, thats some dumb poo poo.

Xenophobes may not believe aliens are really people, but that takes half the satisfaction out it!

Authoritarians recognize you are people, they just want you to understand that your proper place in society is at the bottom of the food chain.

Also I really want to be all devouring authoritarian xenophiles, seeking to embrace the alien and find them their one true place in my society. With that true place ranging from leadership to dinner, depending on their intrinsic value.

I mean by that logic collectivists should also be fine with eating people because what matters is the good of the whole.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh did they change the ethos sliders?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if I was going to be armchair political philosopher I would say that egalitarian isn't entirely the opposite of authoritarian whereas individualist/collectivist seemed pretty easy for me to get.

It'd also be a bit weird to have a bug hive and a dictatorship using the same ethos.

Maybe I just have a soft spot for bug empires though because the gene modding bugs in sword of the stars were my favorite faction.

E: Mind you I guess that collectivist/individualist would now be sort of based on the unity mechanic, literally how collectivist or individually divergent your empire is.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 12, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What the hell other kind of helmet is a parrot going to wear?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Minor whinge but I always thought it weird that mind merged creatures referred to themselves in the plural in sci fi.

It would be like me calling myself a plural because I have cells.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ulmont posted:

:siren:

Stellaris on sale for the weekend (I know most people in this thread have it already, but since apparently some people are waiting for sales, here you go)
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/paradox-weekend-sale/

:siren:

Grabbed it. Though humble store didn't email me the key first time :/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am enjoying that I am literally on the other side of alien conspiracy theories at this point in the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do not enjoy that my enemies are using level 4 lasers while the highest any of my science people have rolled is a level 2 weapon :/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ulmont posted:

No, that's great! You can bypass level 2 and reverse engineer level 4 from their debris!

I could if they didn't wipe out everything because one of their destroyer cannons is better than one of my station guns.

With the lack of apparent reason to use anything other than a single vast fleet and the inability to really do anything if your fleet is worse than their fleet, I'm not really sure how combat is supposed to work in this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WMain00 posted:

I NEED MORE SPACE FOR MY CITIES!

*bulldozes the Alps*

You say that as if shoveling the alps into the med isn't the logical way to get more lebensraum, for your space nazi empire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

This is a little odd to me; I don't really see aliens declare closed borders unless I go out of my way to piss them off or if they're xenophobes. Borders are open by default now so you'd need to have really bad luck for everyone to close them.

I mean they all close them to me but maybe that's because I picked repugnant militarist xenophobe despots who hate everyone and who like invading primitives for their land.

If you build your species to be dickheads the galaxy will treat you like it.

Truga posted:

I've had AI tell me "hey, that planet is too close to the border for comfort, please buzz off"

To which I've said no, and then nothing happened, because we were surrounded by purifiers and other xenophobes and the AI was making GBS threads their pants about it.

What would they suggest you do about it given that you can't decolonize a planet other than by exterminating everyone on it?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 14, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wiz posted:

The problem is it would require reworking which species are considered the same, as its based on name + portrait right now. This is in plans to do, but not time for it for Banks.

I did notice that the xenophobic human empire I made and which showed up in my next game, didn't seem to mind my morally vague human science directorate. And I could declare wars for their planets. Cool that it actually keeps track of that!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aethernet posted:

I find other forums to have far lower standards of writing; on Reddit threads I normally feel like I'm wading through sludge when trying to read innumerable uninteresting posts. People seem to put a degree of thought into these dead gay forums.

One thing from the AMA that's been raised before but is worth discussing agaim is Wiz's response on FTL types. He plans to redesign them at some stage. Personally, I rarely play anything but warp since its speed buff, as everything else involves faff, even though wormholes are technically better. I find I can largely ignore whatever FTL type the AI is anyway, aside from irritating whack-a-hole to take down generators. Speed is fairly consistent across all types.

I've been playing with everyone locked to hyperlanes because I much prefer having some terrain to play on, it would be nice if there could be elements of that for all FTL types like patches of space that block FTL.

Also being able to build interdiction fences around your empire to actually stop people just jumping into it wherever and whenever.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 16, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure you could sew two big blobby cotton sheets together and stuff it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why do evangelizing zealots make friends with other evangelizing zealots?

I don't recall the crusades being Christendom and Islam teaming up with India to go beat up all the atheists. But apparently my galaxy is chock full of murder-crazy lunatics who get along just fine with each other and keep circlejerking each other with NAPs, defensive pacts, and federation associations while me and my one not-complete-rear end in a top hat-but-completely-crap-at-expanding buddy on the outer western arm are sitting here watching them murder the entire rest of the galaxy because the two biggest ones are cockblocking us by having a defensive pact with each other and being situated right on the northern and southern quadrants of the galaxy.

E: and some how the literal imperium of loving man is friendly with all of the loving xeno lunatics :wtc:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 17, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't matter actually because I researched sentient AI just to troll the gently caress out of all the spiritualists in the galaxy and it turns out that my building a hyper materialist intelligent natural engineer society with a homeworld covered in research centers on a 25 tile planet means I can build pretty drat good spaceships. And I poured enough research agreements into my buddy to make them at least able to field 20k or so fleet power.

Annexed the remaining bits of a small empire that was in between me and my ally and unified our arm, pushed out through the hyperlane gate they were sitting on into the middle of the galaxy and started smashing heads of the nearest dickhead empire in the south, liberated three of their planets hoping to make a new federation buddy to feed the dickhead empire to...

My buddy doesn't like the new state because they share my ethics and won't vote for them to join... I forgot that the reason my buddy likes me is because I gave them some free poo poo because they were the only people I found that weren't -150 with me to start with...

I might scream.

Though on the plus side the northern dickhead empire happened to be sitting right next to a dormant fallen empire.

The empire just woke up, they're crazy religious lunatics too, and their only way out is right through the middle of the imperium of man.

:getin:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a way I can change theirs without invading them? I could win easily but it's a pain in the arse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They still contribute to your fleet cap don't they? I don't imagine they would give allied fleets, though they do make their own constructors and I've seen them occasionally build military stations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So the religious crazy fallen empire declared war on the isolationist materialist fallen empire and wiped their fleets out. Seeing an opportunity I sent my fleet to the south and got there exactly as they were doing the final push against the materialists' ringworld. I time my entry to arrive on their flank as they're engaging the fortresses, manage to do enough damage to their fleet to drive them off, then begin cleanup, as I do, the other two empires who declared opportunistic wars to claim a piece of the ring warp their fleets in from two other sides and start heading to claim the ring. I declare war on them because gently caress off it's my goddamn ring. Manage to fight their fleets off and my fed bud goes to start wrecking their space. I manage to capture the entire fallen empire, declare a clean peace with everyone else i pissed off except the evangelist FE, but I now have one intact ringworld and two damaged ones, have secured my southern flank, and managed to get a hold of psi jump drive technology, which... could be interesting as I have everyone locked to hyperlanes.

This game creates some super cool events.

E: Oh, poo poo... I have a forced truce with the people I was fighting to control the ring. That means they also get to scan the debris from the battles...

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 18, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Debris is empire unique, you only get to research tech from battles you fought.

Well either way everyone piled in and snapped up debris, so I assume everyone now has access to the tech.

Also, it turns out that demanding other species cleanse their worlds counts as genocide, so now my ally has -500 relations with me and broke the federation.

Sooooo I'm gonna have to 'liberate' the poo poo out of them.

I was trying to play a relatively nice empire this time but gently caress it, if the galaxy is full of dickheads I'm gonna be a dickhead too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Freudian posted:

I mean, relatively, but given the norm for this game...

I kind of thought that was just "relocate" not "kill all you are selves"

I figured if I wanted to genocide people I would actually have to break out the death squads and couldn't do it just by asking them to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Freudian posted:

My dude. My guy. It's "cleanse planet" of an alien ethnicity. It is literally ethnic cleansing.

Yeah but, like, when the game has a complex model for killing civilians and does stuff like having it take time and incite rebellion and require occupation of the planet, I kinda thought that "cleanse planet" just meant "get your colony the hell off it" and that you couldn't actually just kill an entire planet full of people by saying "hey please do this guys" and the guys you said that to would be like "ok right sure boom done" and they all just disappear.

Essentially I didn't expect instant autogenocide to be a negotiating option.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's more that mechanically I didn't really understand why you could just ask them to do it and they would agree.

Again it didn't occur to me that getting people to kill themselves on the scale of several planets could be a negotiating option.

Relocate sure but, what, do they send out their own death squads and dig their own mass graves or whatever? Surely that would trigger an immediate secession of the affected worlds?

It's just really weird in a game that actually models all of that stuff and already includes a specific option for killing planets full of people by occupying and purging them, so I figured it specifically must be a way of gettting rid of the colony that didn't incur the penalty but required you to resettle the worlds as a tradeoff.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 20, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jazerus posted:

It isn't, necessarily - it's a war goal. Realistically, you are probably just preventing evacuation and killing them yourself instead!

As above I figured that was what happened if you occupied and purged, if both options are you murdering everyone I would think that occupying and purging would be a substantially better option in almost all cases as you don't have to pay for colony ships and can just resettle people and purge the aliens.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That event was very buggy for me too, The mutants were using planetary fortifications which I couldn't bombard because it was still technically my planet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kitchner posted:

Wiz should mention protecting people from the terrible secret of space again.

Him and Cknoor mentioned it on the pre launch stream and i think only them and like the 10 of us in this thread that got this at launch appreciated the joke.

Pak Chooie Unf would be a perfectly reasonable name.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The ship designer is fun though?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

That science joke flew right over my head. I'm a proud product of a failed public school so my puns are more on the level of "I have to make bad chemistry jokes because the good ones argon."

I've heard tell of good chemistry jokes, but I've never Xenon myself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Might just be that different displays round values differently?

That would be my assumption also.

The combat is much more involved than I expected for the game but I would probably describe it as "having a lot of room for expansion" rather than necessarily bad.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 22, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love to get rid of the planet grid, the system view or at least any tactical movement within it, and cut ship design and just have pre-set balanced ships that get better/unlock with tech. Merge planets, orbitals, and mines into a single system view that just listed the system's combined statistics and open slots. Orbital mines/labs would just be a slot system within the system view. Energy Mine 5/6, Mineral Mine 3/8 and so on in a list. Every planet and orbital would simply increase the pop capacity. So that nice big continental planet adds +23 capacity, but you also have pop slots open up by building orbital improvements and dome-colonies and poo poo on planets. Click on that barren planet, build a colony dome and now the system has +5 pop capacity. Have most all the important stats and basic building menu fit along the bottom or side of the screen when you click on a system, or double click for a more detailed view that shows all the pretty planet art if you're into "graphics" or what ever.

Only if you give me the option to un-buy the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Interplanetary bureaucracy should be a technology option, not the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the game but I wish I could make it entirely imaginary and just think about numbers all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hate map games so I would much prefer not.

• Locked thread