Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I'm doing okay with the game so far. Not really loving it but can't put it down either. There needs to be a breakdown of how many of each residential, com, ind buildings you have and how much income you're making in each. There are zero real consequences in this game which is I guess how these idler games work? Is this supposed to be challenging at all? The only thing you could measure yourself against is the time it takes to reach the population goal but the actual time isn't kept! A par time or gold/silver /bronze goal time with rewards you could take to the next city would go a long, long way.

Some questions /observations:

In my first play, I upgraded property tax a time or two and sat there waiting for my population to go down. I thought as a person coming from a simcity perspective that the tax rate mattered which of course it doesn't. That isn't really clear at all until you play a while.

When you move to the next town, available constructions isn't cleared properly and leaves you with a button you can't click until you develop enough plots to clear those out.

What does unlocking buildings with keys do exactly? Just add more buildings the game will generate like all the rest? Do these buildings have special attributes? I've never played an idler, what is prestige and why do the keys matter to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

So its a way to restart the game before you actually beat the last level. The hope is that you're doing it at the right time to make it so you're so upgraded at the beginning that you'll finish the last town before you would have without using prestige? Or am I over thinking it and it's just something people do to scratch the make numbers go fast itch?

I completely maxed out city number 4 and continued playing it for another hour or so just to get that last Starbits Coffee. That is a real choice and actually sort of felt fun to do. The coins I gathered doing that are totally useless but the bux weren't so there is that.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

IllegallySober posted:

What does the "historical" check box do on some of the buildings?

If keeps it from being upgraded into a different building though it will still get upgraded a Level and remain the same building.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

wisdomHNOX posted:

Right now I am having a hard time trying to justify building more than one type of building at a time. The way the upgrades work, it makes more sense for me to upgrade incomes from one type of building, say residential, and focus on building more of that type of building before moving on to commercial or service. If there was a coin incentive to having a relatively equal number of each type of property, that might make people build cities that aren't 100% housing, or 100% stores early on.

This is what I've been doing. I'm not building on blue or buying any of the business perks until the end. Much, much faster this way.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

Build 10,000 buildings are you actually serious :stare:

I started this quest at the same time I started city 6. I'm now at 20% done with city 7 and still just over halfway on the 10,000 quest. Might be my playstyle though.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I'm in total agreement on the windmill perk. It's a complete waste

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

eeenmachine posted:

Yeah, we can tweak it. You mean the tier 7 upgrade, not the Game upgrade right?

It's the Clean Energy Credit on tier 7 yes. While you're at it, I don't think tier 7's Transportation Study does anything. I've tried looking at my total per second and tried watching coins every time I upgraded it and I just don't see what's happening there.

Edit: the game upgrade Smart Grid is really obscure as to what is doing. Are the rbs buildings now making their own power if I buy that? Isn't that a total waste of bucks now that the windmills upgrade themselves at no cost?

EdwardSwifferhands fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 28, 2017

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I'm sticking to the ones that increase the number of keys you get for now. When I bought that upgrade the first time it applied to the keys I already had so I want to bump it a couple more times before I prestige.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

marshmonkey posted:

:siren: New Build :siren:

+ New! Regional Bank Earning allows you to continue earning a percentage of profits from past cities!

- Increased Large Lot cost
- Reduced Instant Build cost
- Added Construction Overtime Game Upgrade
- Boosted Autonomous Driving, Dock Tax
- Nerfed Land Use Tax
- Reduced boat cost by 20%
- Fix to try and help with problems getting ads

I have the latest update. My city was earning just shy of 10b/sec but is now down to 5b/sec. That's a hell of a nerf! I don't get any of the previous city Bank benefits so I'm in for a really long slog trying to buy these last 500 lots on the last city. Ouch.

Edit: now I see my small car bonuses have dropped from 37b to 20b. I can't continue like this. Spending the next two weeks doing nothing but small lots has zero appeal. I knew it would take about a week to finish before this update came which I wasn't thrilled about but accepted. This is way too much.

EdwardSwifferhands fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 2, 2017

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

Kin posted:

I've found that the grind and insane costs for completing cities 7 and 8 are so high that after just a day or two of not playing, I really can't be bothered coming back.

There's not enough here to keep me hooked besides completing a city and If that's more or less impossible without literally sitting here tapping coin bonuses for 3 hours+ then, welp, no point in playing.

I feel the same way. I've been on city 8 for nearly 2 weeks. The cost to purchase a lot keeps increasing but my income barely moves. I'm lucky if I buy 20 lots in a day and I have over 200 to go

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

eeenmachine posted:

Thanks. How many keys do you currently have?

I hope none of this comes off as complaining because it's not really. I'm just beta testing and giving feedback. This is where I am and what I'm thinking. I am currently playing on the last city on first playthrough. I play between 20 and 60 minutes a day and usually watch an ad for a double earnings twice a day. In all my playing I have not really encountered any bugs. No lost data or anything like that either. I still think a lot of the descriptions for the upgrades you can by need a usability pass where you look to see if how it's described is clear to a new player. A good trick to this is have your mom or grandma read it and if it makes sense to them then you're good to go.

I have 588 keys but I have not prestiged yet. Since I've been playing since the beginning I did not get to benefit from the update that rolls 10% of your previous cities incomes into our current earning. I realize that this slows my growth significantly when first starting a city but near the end of a city that income really doesn't matter much.

I earn 10.5b/sec
Cars earn 41 billion per small coin
I need to purchase 244 more small lots
My next lot that I purchase costs 17.5 trillion
So I have to collect 426 small coins to buy one lot.
It takes about 28 minutes for the city to earn enough money on it's own to buy a lot or 280 minutes offline for the bank to save that much.
Obviously I get the boat and plane upgrades and the big coins help speed things along a lot but you kind of have to wonder - small coins and the city itself - are they intended to have such small income and for purchasing to take this long? Also at this point it takes so long for each building to upgrade that new lots I buy pretty much sit unleveled for a very very long time before they even get a chance at a construction and the income they provide is extremely measly.

I've bought every upgrade except the last boat which I wouldn't mind having but that's a lot of lots I could buy and I don't think at this point it would be a worthwhile investment. I've spent bux on Keeper of Keys three times and when I eventually buy the pension pig I'll go up one more time on that.
Right now I'm saving bux for the Real Estate License. I very much understand that if I just prestige that things will be much smoother sailing but I'm trying to see through finishing the last city even though I don't play enough time per day to really get it done in a reasonable amount of time. I probably buy 15-25 lots per day at this rate and really it's horribly grindy and boring. That brings me to my last suggestion or comment about this game - and that is that things are not tiered properly.

As you move up through cities 1-5 (or at least when I did a few updates ago) as you unlock the next tier of upgrades those you can immediately see adding benefit to your earnings, you actually strategize a bit and then you finally finish buying all the upgrades available to you when you've only got about 20% of the city left to buy and you're just grinding it out for a bit at the end. In the last 3 cities it's the same as above but when you finish buying all the upgrades you have an increasing amount of work to do at that level of income. Off the top of my head you have like 35%ish left to buy when you're fully upgraded in city 6, 50% or so left in city 70, and then it seems like you have about 75% of the lots left to buy in city 8 once you've bought all the upgrades. So you're pretty much done with strategy way too soon in the last 3 cities and left with only grind. Either smooth it out so that you can't upgrade so fast or reduce the amount of lots that need to be purchased.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep playing but I don't know how much longer my interest will remain for daily play.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

If you're looking for things to add I don't see why you wouldn't add bitizens. I've seen enough other goons mention it and not seen much of a response about it. In most of the other Nimble games the bitizens are what add the charm to the game. The whole job/dream job thing from the tower game would be a natural fit here. You could have a pool of 3 bitizens that need a job, they would each have a certain education. Teaching, doctor, sanitation, etc would be ones that would give a +10% boost to a service building since they have service related educations but if you actually match a firefighter to a firehouse (a la dreamjob) you could get a +30% for the firehouse income. Then you could have a random chance of getting the Auto Mechanic, Mayor, Banker, Pilot, and Boat Captain Bitizens who if you slot them into the parking garage, city hall, bank, airport, and boatdock would unlock new features for those buildings. For example the pilot if placed into the airport would give each plane increased coin respawn rates or unlock some special plane maybe. It would also give you somewhere to go with adding quests that aren't just "build 5 ball diamonds", collect coins, or do 10,000 construction quests). There could also be some pretty cool ideas here where if you get a historic police station, firehouse, hospital, and school all with dream job people inside them you unlock a new city hall or some other ridiculous prize. To tie into the moon/mars thing, if you did manage to slot dream job bitizens into key buildings (to build a utopia city!) you would unlock the NASA building which once you have it built allows you to move on to Moon/Mars locations.

Surely you guys have tons of bitizen art assets sitting around and this wouldn't be that hard right? right? This game has very little charm once you've played the first 3 cities, bitizens have a ton of charm.

e: It occurs to me that the residential buildings don't open up much avenue for unique jobs but THOSE could be where the bitizens come from. For each residential plot you buy, you get one more bitizen in your pool.Those would be slotted into the business or service jobs. That would require actual game choice and another thing you'd have to try and balance.

EdwardSwifferhands fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

Long time player checking in. I've prestiged a few times now and finished city 8 three times I think? I finished city 8 about a month ago and just let the game idle and didn't prestige in anticipation of the new cities being released.

A few comments:

-I'm getting huge amounts of keys for every lot I buy. The last small lot I bought in city 10 gave me 153 keys. I don't know if this is intended or not.
-Profits from the banks of cities 1-8 did not get applied to city 9. I don't think it's supposed to since city 9 is so small.
-City 9 onward appears like it's going to be extremely slow. I have a +2,787% increase in income due to previous prestiging. City 1 took me a while (probably an hour total) to finish and city 2 looks like maybe 90 minutes? I don't mind prestiging at some point to make the later cities easier but if I have to start back at city 1 it's going to be annoying to climb through 1-8 yet again. It's the nature of the game I guess but I can't say I'm looking forward to i.t
-The solar farm makes a comment about "The Wind Farm" in it's description.
-It's been mentioned before but the splash screen (Nimblebit logo) while loading the game is off center.

It's good to be playing this a little again, I'm glad there's new content even if it is just a new skin on the same dog.

• Locked thread