Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Sure, I'll build a bit city. I guess? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eeenmachine posted:

Correct, the whole challenge of the mission is marking things as historical. Perhaps we should change the mission functionality to actually be "Have 2 Baseball Fields marked as historical".

To be honest, I really dislike the "X buildings of a particular type" challenge, because I think they're extremely counterproductive to actually progressing. It's just raw RNG as to when or if you'll complete the mission, and specifically, waiting for the RNG to look in your favor with two consecutive rolls on a single plot of land. There's literally nothing the player can do to speed it up, and you can screw it up just by not noticing something. I don't think that's a challenge - that's just tedium. It's also unlike every other mission in the game by being so harshly RNG dependent, and one where the correct answer to complete it is to stop expanding and putting in new buildings while you hope you get lucky with some virtual dice.

I had the "3 recycling plants" (out of 4 total available large spaces in the city, ask how long that took) and "6 pizza shops" (out of who even knows how many small spaces in the city) and at both ends that wasn't fun or good, that was frustrating.

I don't think changing it to "mark them as historical" addresses the root problem of the type of mission being really obnoxious. And I don't see a way to make them work in the context of so much control being outside the player's hands with upgrading buildings beyond tapping a button to upgrade something, somewhere in the city.

On another point, I don't see the appeal of an RCI indicator as the game stands. If the ideal ratio is 1:1:1 then all that seems to do, for me, is to add yet more tapping where I have to pick which color to make each individual building when in the end I'll have the exact same number of each color as the maps offer me by default now. If I don't get anything significant out of an RCI indicator and selectable cells, then ... why waste the time? More taps for no change in the end result? If this were Bit SimCity, hell yeah, but ... it's not, so I'm not sure it fits.

I'd also really love to see a statistics pane when I move from city to city, so I have some feedback on how well I did. How much money did I make total, and what were all the sources? RCI, cars, boats, planes, taps, that kind of thing. It'd help me change up my strategy for the next city to figure out what works best.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 23, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

On a much more positive note, missions aside, it's growing on me. I was a little weirded out at the start because it threw me into a game and I've never played Egg Inc so I had no idea what I was doing, but I got my bearings pretty fast. It is a little dry in terms of NimbleBit Charm(tm) - and I was surprised not to see stuff like the Pocket Planes blimp at the airport or similar easter eggs, and yet I still spent way too much time yesterday building a city, so you're doing a lot right :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

marshmonkey posted:

That would be cool, maybe you could even have a "time completed and a comparison to your previous time (if you have prestige) to show that you are progressing faster.

:siren: just FYI we are holding off on adding more people to the iOS testflight until we have the next build out :siren:

yeah, I hadn't thought about that but comparing to a previous prestige would be great. might really help sell the idea of prestiging multiple times, too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

Not directly related but your comment made me think I was really impressed by how far I could zoom IN.

Try the photo mode and check out how it looks - it gives you different perspective choices.

It's pretty neat.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's still at least half of a city 6/7 and for 125 bux, which I could collect off planes/trains/boats (dear Nimblebit: add trains please) in 10% of the time, the reward seems a bit skewed even if the challenge itself is fine and simple to do.

Personally I think that's going to be 'fixed' if/when we have multiple running missions at once so no single one is a blocking challenge, but I believe they're taking a look at that already.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm really okay with power not being a significant barrier in the early cities. You've got enough to deal with (few purchasable bonuses, low cap on number of upgrades at a time, etc)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Bug: completing City 1 before the tutorial breaks the tutorial. Prestiging to return to city 1 and finishing the tutorial lets you progress. Specifically, I went to city 2 before the "tap on the garage and buy a car" mission completed - and in city 2 I could not tap on the blue button or the city hall; they did nothing.

I guess the tutorial should lock out city 2 before it completes?

RCI: I think the penalty calculations aren't working in a friendly way. f I have exactly 3 buildings built, 1:1:1, everything is normal. If I build a second of anything, I get a low demand hit (2:1:1) despite literally being unable to balance it out until I can build 6 buildings (returning to 2:2:2). Some sort of grace or check for number of buildings would be nice to prevent this from being unavoidable on your 4th and 5th buildings no matter what they are.

It also hits your very first - you build one large service as your first plot, for example, -20 right off the bat, with nothing to do about it.

I'm guessing it's because at low building count each one has huge impact on percentage citywide? Maybe only apply the RCI penalty if there's greater than a 3? 5? building variation along with the percentage flag otherwise don't?

e: new version, iOS, for what that's worth, let me know if you want other details.

NaN bug is still there on building info screens, too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dali Parton posted:

Transitioning between cities still feels unsavory, in my opinion. The momentum sort of...breaks(?) each time I progress? For example, early game in city 3 and city 6 feels exactly the same, except in the latter I have a bit more to spend. I'm bad at explaining this stuff, but in short, progressing to the next city never feels good because my previous city vanishes and my income is back at 0. And then I'm doing the exact same starting moves.

Yeah, this didn't bother me too much when I was doing 1-7 the first time but then I prestiged for the new version and it's not great. The RCI penalties don't make it any better, even if that's almost purely psychological vs actual monetary loss (I mean 10% of barely anything is ... barely anything)

not sure what a good solution is. Some of your city upgrades carrying over?

also it amuses me to call it RCI because in this game it's RBS but hey, we all know what RCI means :v:

e: giving me a city quest to have 3 hospitals on a city which doesn't even have 3 large tiles available is rude above and beyond me not liking those quests

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The quests aren't tied to cities, though. I think once you're on the map with the airport and dock, you should be all set to handle most if not all requests. The city after that, for sure.

I know, but when I prestige and I'm on city 2 or 3 or whatever I feel like there should be some logic preventing me from getting a quest I am literally unable to complete until I move to a new city. Also I still think the "have X of a building type" ones are bad. So.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, hey, I've been recently saving up my bux so I was looking up what I could get for a ton of them, turned my screen off.... went back to it a few minutes later, and was still on the bux screen. I saw something that was green, as in purchase-able, and immediately clicked on it.... thus spending around 360 bux on getting a higher chance of big vehicle rewards. :smith:

I mean, it's nice and all, but I was aiming for one of those rewards that cost 1,000+ bux. Ah well.. here's hoping I don't run out of missions any time soon. Is there a way to just 100% reset your game progress? Ha, so many of you are reporting that your games got wiped, and I actually want to restart mine.

big vehicle rewards are actually awesome, because it means a better chance of big coin and bux drops. Buy enough cars and it's like permanent triple-time for how much they add to your income/sec.

Also vehicles (of any type) spawn bux frequently enough they're worth getting into even when the missions run out, if that ever happens

e: that said, the way taps seem to work on press down instead of release means an awful lot of errant taps, so I sympathize

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 26, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Forum Joe posted:

Late to the discussion, since this was being discussed way back before the latest patch, and the QoL improvements that it brought, but I'd like to disagree with nearly everyone here and say that the "build 3 hospitals" missions aren't the worst, they're actually the only interesting ones because they require user input and strategy to achieve, as opposed to every other quest which will just happen automatically.

you build X [residential / business / service] slots and you wait while the RNG gives you what you want. How is there any skill / input / strategy involved?

Serious question - it's all RNG. The only difference between those and the "10,000 buildings" is one requires you to tap recycling buildings and one doesn't, but they're all fundamentally waiting for cranes to upgrade your buildings. One is just more annoying - but that's not strategy. There's no way to strategize beyond the initial placement of tiles (e.g. prioritizing large service if that's what you need), but that hasn't changed since the first release.

Also I disagree with a pause button. If this game has any flow, it's the flow of constant, constant cash ticking in. Breaking that to 'fix' a quest seems like the cure is worse than the disease. Maybe there's utility or value I'm not seeing, but pausing progress just doesn't fit for me. Again, if this were Bit SimCity 2000 (note to NB: make that next, please) sure, absolutely - but it's not? :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Forum Joe posted:

Do you understanding how flagging historical works? Because it makes the "have X buildings" missions a game of skill. It says you have a hospital so YOU'RE TRYING TO FIND THE HOSPITAL BEFORE THE AUTOBUILD GETS IT. If you find it, you can make it historical. That, to me, is a game of skill, and the better you are at it the sooner you will complete your mission. Yes, it still relies on the RNG, but it has some skill interaction. Unlike the 10,000 builds quest where the player can do nothing to speed it up or slow it down or have any impact on it at all.

You need to step back and re-evaluate your priorities if you are literally all-caps yelling on the internet about a minor quest in a f2p mobile application. I'm not using that to deflect from the substance of the argument, but okay, wow.

As to the substance: read my post again, you'll see I understand how they work just fine. In fact, they rely on the RNG more than any other quest. You need two rolls to go your way each time. One for upgrading the right tile, and the second to pick the correct building - made moreso because this has to repeat multiple times to actually get 2-3-6-however many to even spawn.

I think that's bad. :shrug:

Psion fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 28, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

CaptainCaveman posted:

I just realized that this game will never seem finished without a Bitizen who is really angry about roads. Not sure if having advisors makes sense, but somehow.

In all seriousness, advisors might be an angle to add the bitizen angle this game is missing compared to Bitbook from TT and the like.

Lowness 72 posted:

I was playing Bit City and my phone caught on fire.

I'm (mostly) kidding. I was playing it on the subway, then got off at my stop and put the phone away in my pocket. Was in a shop and heard POP! Smoke starts pouring out of my jacket pocket. Luckily I was able to toss it on the floor before it really started blowing up. Ugh.

Anyway - I won't be able to continue testing for a while lol.

I thought they'd recalled the Galaxy Note 7 :stare:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The optimizations seem to be working in the latest build; my phone isn't getting hot with too much traffic on screen. Car motion seems different, a little smoother?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

They added a new plane (blimp) and boat (sailboat) and redid the prices. I agree, though - 6.21t for the 4th boat is pretty drat steep and that's after the discounts I've already bought.

unless I've lost it and blimp/sailboat were always there :confused:

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 29, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I don't know what idea I'd support, but I like all the discussion about trying to smooth over the transition from one city to the next. Right now it's really raw; there was idea of keys giving you more starting cash, that'd be nice. Some way to avoid having to rebuy everything would also be nice - just save me some taps. Not sure what the ideal outcome is, but agreeing with everyone that once you hit a new city a few too many times it's just a slog. You leave a city performing at peak efficiency - max upgrades, probably, max buildings, everything running 100% ... and you start over with probably not even enough money to buy 3 tiles.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The bank savings thing does start to kick in about city 4-5 and be useful; I think there ought to be a keys-related lump sum of cash thrown your way to ease repeat visits through earlier cities (not that the cash only happens there, but that it's only a relevantly useful amount there) - how many keys do you think the players should have before they can just sleepwalk through those early cities? because I feel like I have a lot at 360 but I'm not :shrug:

I think some of the +fixed sum earnings are a bit off. Like +x to cars, or +15k to planes, or whatever - especially at the high end. I think there was one plane upgrade which cost nearly 20 billion and gave you 15,000 per second per plane (and it's unlikely you'll have all 6 planes at that point) ...ouch. The scaling may need review?

I'm also not sure about things like Solar Panels - it claims building increase by 100% but when I did it early the other day I went from like 7.1m to 7.8m a second in a city which was predominantly buildings for earnings. That doesn't feel like 100% at all; what's it doing?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Someone posted about how expensive the bank upgrades were so I looked and it was like 1300 bux for 1% or something?

noooooooope

Perhaps every few bank coin upgrades could add a percent as well as time? Really get you to invest in that thing. The buy-with-bux ones would raise the floor from always starting at 10% per city to always starting at whatever higher number percent per city.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think high-end prices, for everything, should get reviewed and possibly curved. Right now the high end of many city upgrades, car, plane, and boat purchases are all ridiculously expensive compared to ROI. Like there is no conceivable way I'm going to spend 100 trillion on a cargo ship when I have to fill in another 100 lots that happen to be 1.5 trillion and up, and if I did, it'd probably take weeks for me to break even on that cargo ship. Just a bad idea all around. Same with planes and - especially - cars. Or spending trillions to get an extra 15k per plane. All of that.

Also, much like my idea of bank upgrades giving you per-city percentage boosts, this could also apply to buying out more and more of the cars/planes/boats give you an upgraded chance at big coin/bux rewards. Considering the huge new drain on bux that is buying special buildings, I don't even think it'd really alter the IAP friction but it might help with the lategame balancing, where cities 7-8 are just a huge drag of tapping.

the bank upgrade does well to make 1-6 much, much better and I like that, but it's also a victim of the high end at city 7-8 so :shrug:

VodeAndreas posted:

Intentional or not thanks for the tip, it's nice to have a mode where you can tap wildly for coins without constant building popups from being a couple of pixels off/fat fingers.

some form of automated or area-tap coin collecting assistance would be pretty cool.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think the game needs to hint a little more heavily about prestiging a few times because I think the natural inclination is to "win" by doing 1-8 and ...that sounds painful. Snorkzilla proved that :v: Also do you get any bonuses at all for finishing city 8? Something to hook you into starting over at city 1 aside from keys?

One thing I wanted to point out that I really appreciate is how distinctive the building art designs are even from pretty far zoomed out - much as I grumble about "find six sky burgers in your town, haha good luck nerd" at least the buildings are pretty distinguishable at almost any zoom level. So uh, good pixels.

e: I would support a lot of city 7/8 lots being turned into large lots just to reduce tapping. Or some way to bulk buy, or something, I dunno. When you're just filling in tiles to hit the pop limit, it's not very satisfying.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Speaking of how autobuild interacts with historical, I had a situation happen the other day where I had a building marked historical and I was in the info screen viewing it. I tapped historical off, and autobuild came in and changed the building on me literally while I was still in the info screen.

two things:
-The "bottles canned" or "cups of coffee served" or whatever line changed immediately to reflect this, but the name of the building ("bottling plant" or whatever) did not refresh immediately.

-I'd appreciate it if removing the historical toggle only took effect when you close the info panel.

In this case it was an intentional tap on something I was doing so no big deal, but if someone was trying to get X of a building type and they had one sniped out from under them due to a mistap, I bet that'd be annoying. Holding the actual removal of historical status until they close the panel would give someone time to tap it back on if they made a mistake.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Boten Anna posted:

God dammit missed another window to join this it looks like :cry:

I'm not nimblebit but it seems real close to release so you don't have to wait long

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cender posted:

Most of the times I open the app the idea of repeating the buy/choose/buy/choose/buy/choose process keeps me from actually doing it so I assume that may be a detractor for long time players.

i'm on city 8 at the moment and I've filled in all the large plots ... trying to fill in like 500 small plots to finish out the city is :negative:

I don't know what a good solution is, but I think this is an issue. It doesn't matter how fast you make money, so it's not like restarting for more keys solves this. And it's not every city - most cities are small enough that it's fine but 7 drags and 8 is just ridiculous on this front, imo.

Also, small bug on the "Megalopolis" mission - reach a population of 500,000. On my phone the progress numbers under the bar wrap onto two lines, so they actually overflow onto the button. Like it does this:

quote:

437,000/500,0

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

marshmonkey posted:

Yea, I'm noticing it in my game as well. One thought we had is to figure out some button somewhere that puts you into a mode where tapping on an empty lot just buys it.

Something like that would auto cycle between types to keep you at 33/33/33 right? I could see that working okay. Sort of like the autostock button in TT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Before that gets patched, please let me know what the steps to reproduce are.

You know ... for science.

• Locked thread