Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

It's that time again, where we invite you to play our latest mobile game before everyone else and tell us why it sucks!

Bit City is an idle city building game. You could think of it as a mash-up between Egg, Inc and SimCity.

quote:

Build your own Bit City! Start from a tiny town and grow to a thriving metropolis in this city building idle game from the creators of Tiny Tower. Collect profits and invest in upgrades that keep your city growing. Fill your city with new types of cars, planes and ships. Unlock cool new buildings, including famous landmarks to customize the look of your city. What are you waiting for? Start building YOUR own Bit City now!

:siren:INSTRUCTIONS TO RECIEVE BETA:siren:

If you are on Android, go here to install: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nimblebit.bitcity

If you are on iOS, go here: https://goo.gl/forms/x9NSJXeJ8I6zB4RN2 and submit your email for us to add to Testflight.
Once added you will receive an email with instructions on adding the app via Testflight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

glam rock hamhock posted:

Really like it so far. The constant upgrading scratches that clicker itch really well. One question: What does double time actually do?

it doubles the timescale for the game so everything is running at 2x speed

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I've never played Egg Inc so this might be a mechanic from that but I don't understand the upgrade function. Do I just keep slamming it? Do the upgrades eventually start taking longer?

yep, pretty much keep hitting buttons, buying land and upgrading stuff

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Namaer posted:

Hey I'm on a Galaxy s6 and when I try to watch an ad to get the double time boost, I just get stuck on a popup that says "channel surfing...".

could be a network issue, it's trying to download an ad but not finding one. Maybe try switching wifi on or off to hop onto a different network?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Geekslinger posted:

Sorry guys I was hoping for a bit more Sim City with time gated building, but this game blows.

Thanks for the feedback.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Yea, I definitely think that we need to give players more of a reason to be *completing* each city. Right now it's just thrown out there as "this is just how it works".

Not like a whole storyline or anything, but just some kind of feeling/presentation that you are the city planner and you have a new mission each time to build a city...

Maybe like a mission screen at the start of each one giving some background about the location and what the goal is.

I do think getting rid of the large empty surrounding terrain would help some, it would be more obvious, as in "there is literally no place left to put buildings".

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Yea, we definitely need to add a little (i) info button next to the historical checkbox that pops up a description of what it does.

IllegallySober posted:

Yeah, this would have helped me.

Also, I see the piggy bank on the upgrade screen goes up as I spend bux but clicking on this takes me to the shop that's closed. What's going to be the use of this function?

The piggy bank goes up every time you research stuff in the game, and you can buy however many bux are in it for a flat price in the shop (forget what it's set at). So it becomes a better and better deal the longer you play the game.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

IllegallySober posted:

Something else that would be nice would be to expand the possible "task list" from 1 item to 2 or 3. For example, right now I have to build two baseball fields in my city, which means I'm stuck at the mercy of the RNG and depending I'm quick enough to lock it as historical and/or push the task list button- but I can't be working toward any other task at the same time.

Yea, that would be a good system I think.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

IllegallySober posted:

Do I understand correctly that the buildings I unlock with keys are thrown into the random rotation of buildings that can show up, but the bonus I get from unlocking those buildings is permanent and exists regardless of whether that building is currently in my city or not? I'm guessing yes but it's a little unclear.

Edit: Also, when I prestige for the first time, I had 29 keys. I bought the first two buildings and had nine keys left over that I couldn't spend anything on. When I restarted, I was back to zero keys. Seems like those extra nine keys should carry over, yes?

Edit 2: The last post on the previous page answers my question about where my keys went, but I agree with that poster that this should be more obvious.

Correct about how they work.

Yea, can se how that is confusing, re: key counts.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

causticBeet posted:

How do the prestige buildings work? Is the bonus only active when they're on the map, or is it a general overall bonus to income?

It's a general bonus

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Doctor Zero posted:

It would be cool to have random uncontrolled surprise things show up that if you see them you can click them for a bonus. For instance a sea monster appears randomly and if you click it you get a big bonus. Or maybe a UFO. This may give more reason to be looking around at the extra space outside your city.

oooo, that would be a lot of fun. I can already imagine a bunch of ideas for special rare cars / boats / planes

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Thanks for all the well thought out feedback guys!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Psion posted:

I'd also really love to see a statistics pane when I move from city to city, so I have some feedback on how well I did. How much money did I make total, and what were all the sources? RCI, cars, boats, planes, taps, that kind of thing. It'd help me change up my strategy for the next city to figure out what works best.

That would be cool, maybe you could even have a "time completed and a comparison to your previous time (if you have prestige) to show that you are progressing faster.

:siren: just FYI we are holding off on adding more people to the iOS testflight until we have the next build out :siren:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

pixaal posted:

Any goal for when you will have the next build out? Sounds like there are going to be some pretty significant changes and you don't really need any more feedback on the current version.

Started on changes today, so probably sometime this week for sure.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
I think there are some optimizations going into the next build that should address some of that which didn't make it into the current build.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Chadina posted:

I've noticed on my several year old phone that cars are lag incarnate. The slowly spawn in when you start, so that may be part of it. I stopped buying cars and my phone doesn't lag at all anymore on later levels.

Yea, that is what we did some optimizations to that will be included in the next build.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
:siren: Ok, emails have gone out to the iOS Testflight people that signed up. :siren:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My quest actually got cancelled with the update, so :toot:

Hey devs, are there a finite number of these quests? Or do they just keep going? I wanna know if I have any shot in hell of ever earning enough bux through gameplay to raise the bank saving rate :ohdear:

It's a finite number.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Michaellaneous posted:

I cannot believe you made a game with so little depth. Saying it is somehow a cross between Egg Inc. and Sim City is an insult to Sim City.

Great avatar / post combo

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

omg

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
:siren: New Build :siren:

- Added greetings to each city start
- Added city names
- Added extra checks to prevent game wipes
- Better scrolling limits
- Shadow improvements
- Car performance improvements
- Fixed missing locked building
- Collecting bux bonuses now adds to Pension Pig
- Lot demand stays Normal when you have less than 6 buildings

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
I feel like the dock tax could use a buff too.

Also the shadows in the building focus models are fubared.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

- Added “Original” tab to Building Shop to view original buildings
- Added building model for applicable mission menus
- Added progress bar above construction cranes
- Added confirmation to prestige button
- Changed instant build costs to scale with level
- Changed large lot costs and build times to be 4x small lots
- Fast Forwards now complete constructions

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Was trying to brainstorm ways this afternoon to make the un-lockable buildings more special. One idea we had was to try and pair each one up with some sort of bonus to another specific building, that would scale with the building lvl. So for instance maybe the vertical garden building (forget the exact name) would give a bonus to the heath food store.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe we need to make it feel more like you are redeeming the current city. Like don't up your key count until you move to the next city, or give you some bonus keys or buxs relative to how big of a city you just finished. With some sort of finish / redeem screen that counts up all your bonus goodies?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
OK NEW IDEA

Add a function to the bank where you can collect transfers from your previous cities banks. This would work based on some function of your previous city bank lvl and city level. So, say you were on city 6, your bank would have a list like this:

code:
Cactus Town Bank    [|||||||||||||||]     148 K      [COLLECT!]
Peanut Park Bank    [||||           ]     3.8 M      [12m]
Greenville Bank     [|||||||||||||||]     253 M      [COLLECT!] 
Dusty Plains Bank   [||||||||       ]    1.03 B      [1h, 24m]
Palm Island Bank    [||             ]    10.4 B      [3h, 8m]
These would accumulate up to city 8, when you are forced to prestige and would reset along with everything else.

Would also give you another reason to upgrade / interact with your bank, which I usually ignore pretty quickly.

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 31, 2017

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Doug Sisk posted:

I like this idea. One further suggestion to give the feeling of progression between prestiges other than the cash multiplier is an additional building type. Business, services, residential, and landmark. Landmark gives you the option of your purchased buildings, and each can only be built once and is automatically historic. This allows you to slowly collect them and add uniqueness to your city.

Do you think the ability to choose the building is enough of a factor to make you want to put these down (apart from earning money like a normal building). Or do you think they would need some other sort of bonus?

Also, only some of the unlockable buildings are "landmark" worthy. Quite a few are pretty normal type buildings.

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 31, 2017

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Yea, it seems like enough of a game event that we should pop up a screen as soon as you finish the city - with the bitizen from the start saying congrats / thank you and with some sort of message about another city that needs work. I think some basic stats would be neat too, not sure what sort of information we are already tracking, though it wouldn't really make sense to show those before you have actually hit the button to finish the city.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Len posted:

I just reinstalled the app and now power isn't a thing to worry about? So does that mean the premium currency I previously spent on the power upgrade are useless?

We changed the game upgrade to make the power station earn more money per building.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

+ New! Regional Bank Earning allows you to continue earning a percentage of profits from past cities!

- Increased Large Lot cost
- Reduced Instant Build cost
- Added Construction Overtime Game Upgrade
- Boosted Autonomous Driving, Dock Tax
- Nerfed Land Use Tax
- Reduced boat cost by 20%
- Fix to try and help with problems getting ads

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Should have a new build tomorrow with things tweaked so that earnings are back to close to what they were. Made some other adjustments too that should help the early city game go a bit faster.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
If you delete and re-install and don't log into the cloud system it won't find your old game. Eventually if your game gets to a point where it is farther than the saved gave it should overwrite if you do want to use the cloud.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
:siren:New Build:siren:

+ 10x increase to Regional Bank Earning
+ Added current bank branch profits
+ Reworked windmill earning function
+ Boosted Large Lot Earning Upgrade

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

+ New "Special" buildings with increased earnings are now unlocked with bux (you might encounter some special buildings without boosted earnings in existing games due to this change)
+ Keys now give bonus as soon as collected (cannot be spent).
+ Key earning boost now displayed in current earn rate
+ UI improvements

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

voodoo dog posted:

Right now when I unlocked my phone, I can't do anything in Bit City, it just doesn't react to any input. I never got the popup with my afk earnings, so I guess something went wrong there. Can't really give you much more information, wasn't doing anything special. I think I didn't manually lock my phone but it just timed out, but not sure. Switching to home screen and back didn't fix it, restarting did so no big deal.

See if you have the latest build, we spit out a quick build right after the one I posted about to fix a bug that could have caused this.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

** Thanks to everyone who is still testing, we're near the end!

- Fixed special building bug
- Fixed Video Ad Bug
- Fixed incorrect bank earning
- Fixed ability to unlock unlocked buildings
+ Added special building explanation in building shop

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
It was changed because people were having a hard time understanding how the keys worked, especially since you don't get the bonus for the keys until you spent them on a building - so you really had 2 (3?) key counts. Keys you are about to earn, keys you have earned but have not spent, and keys you have spent. This change simplifies the whole idea of the keys a lot. Once you press the key button, you get the keys and the associated bonus. There wasn't really a good reason that the keys were tied to the buildings before, except for that we kind of had both things floating around at the same time during development and thought we could kill 2 birds with one stone by using keys to get the special buildings. That comes with a built in problem though, which makes the game content limited. Once you run out of buildings to unlock with the keys - the game is over until more buildings are added. This way you can keep earning and applying the key bonus forever.

Unlocking the special buildings with bux gives you another thing to spend bux on (which makes bux more valuable to earn in game) and gives you an additional bonus on top of the same key bonus as before. The bux cost and bonus per building are certainly tweakable - but the basic design change is pretty sound we feel.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Cender posted:

I'm now stuck on river ridge because I'm missing one plot of land to buy. After looking for two minutes I gave up cause, well, systematically going through hundreds of plots looking for the one empty one is boring at the least.

I'll try again later. This would be another reason I'd suggest an autobuy feature.

We are going to change the design of the empty lots to stand out more at least.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Psion posted:

i'm on city 8 at the moment and I've filled in all the large plots ... trying to fill in like 500 small plots to finish out the city is :negative:

I don't know what a good solution is, but I think this is an issue. It doesn't matter how fast you make money, so it's not like restarting for more keys solves this. And it's not every city - most cities are small enough that it's fine but 7 drags and 8 is just ridiculous on this front, imo.

Also, small bug on the "Megalopolis" mission - reach a population of 500,000. On my phone the progress numbers under the bar wrap onto two lines, so they actually overflow onto the button. Like it does this:

Yea, I'm noticing it in my game as well. One thought we had is to figure out some button somewhere that puts you into a mode where tapping on an empty lot just buys it.

*edit* even moving the zone buttons to the center of the screen, closer to where you just tapped the lot would probably make a difference.

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Psion posted:

Something like that would auto cycle between types to keep you at 33/33/33 right? I could see that working okay. Sort of like the autostock button in TT.

Either that, or you would pick the type before going into that mode. Cycling through types would probably be the simplest though.

• Locked thread