Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Horn posted:

Seems pretty addicting so far. My only gripe is that it pauses my pod casts when I open the app back up even though I've turned off the music and SFX. I'm on android 7.1.

Yeah, that is a fun bug with the version of Unity we're using :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Namaer posted:

Just tried it on the mobile network and having the same issue.

I think we have an s6 in the office, I'll try to reproduce. Thanks!

Edit: I was able to load an ad so doesn't look like a device specific issue anyways.

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 20, 2017

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

HelloWinter posted:

Hello!! I'm big fan of Nimblebit games, especially Tiny Tower.

If you were planning to stick to the 'new town' upgrades instead of expansions, I would recommend maybe adding more varied personality with each town... The simplest way I can think of is designate some sort of mayor/important person bit person to run the town/city. Or even a slight change of palette colour with the environment, as I feel that the only indication of change is the amount of places you can build a building... And as the environment looks to be about the same size ratio for each one, it's probably why most people are jumping into the "why not expansion?" boat because that huge mass of land just screams "I want to build !!!". Again, if you want to retain the mechanic of progression of jumping from town to town, either change the visuals to reflect that, or maybe even shrink the land into small island-like places, that way players could more understand the limitation and want to move to another island.

Is there an option to revisit previous cities that you helped build somehow? Another reason that the game feels level-ish if that you can only concentrate on your progress, it feels more like a chore than intended because there is really no reason to want to switch to a bigger city at the beginning of the progression. No incentive is what I'm trying to get at, but if this game is meant to feel like Egg Inc, maybe it just conveys it a bit more poorly...

Anyway, these are my 2 cents. I might write more later on after playing a day or so.

Mind blown. I think you're right about the land size vs build area giving a bad vibe.

No plans to revisit cities. We were bug fans of Egg so we are shooting for that kind of feel. I can understand players get more invested in a city than a chicken farm.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Great stuff, thanks guys. I think I'll definitely try out letting the player pick the zones and maybe just limit them to a certain percentage of total lots.

Edit: I've been using the cloud stuff not sure what the issue is. I can get more details on Monday if it is still borked.

One other thing I'd always wanted was a little ticker at the top that random news and reactions to the city growth. Would take a ton of writing though so it would definitely need to add a lot.

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 21, 2017

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

lags posted:

Haven't been able to find a starbits shop for the fully caffeinated mission. Also you misspelled "caffeinated".

Also just reiterating it would be really nice to be able to pick which buildings to upgrade if I wanted or at least upgrade lowest levels first.

Oh yeah and if it's a mission building it should automatically become historical because the poo poo just made me mad 😁

We made the upgrades prioritize low buildings at one point but it didn't feel good at all. Every time you'd buy a new lot you'd spam the poo poo out of it (no other choice) and you would never see the low level buildings in the game. You might as well just start the building off at the level you want. Spamming build while a crane sits there for a minute or two wasn't great.

Edit: It might be interesting to have an upgrade that raises a buildings start level though...

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 21, 2017

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Wow learn to spell marshmonkey!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Enigma posted:

I restarted my phone and it totally wiped all progress.

Wow. Not even remotely sure how that could happen. No other real details to go off I guess right?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Are all the folks getting their games wiped playing on Android?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I think we are lucky in that the feedback has been so similar. Just spitballing, but what if population was tied to earnings instead of building count, and you could continue earning keys after reaching the population required to advance. The key earning rate would go up with each city but you could sit on a "completed" city for as long as you wanted without getting like you were wasting your time.

The one downside I see right off the bat is there wouldn't be much incentive to build more than a handful of buildings.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
What if the population was based off building levels rather than buildings? Then it would go up even without expanding (albeit slower and slower), and you'd still have an incentive to expand.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Ok trying to get organized before tackling as much as we can on Monday. What am I missing?

Issue: General confusion for new players. Questions about functionality of build mechanic and clicker progression in general.

Improvement: Replace current “mission” tutorials with new tutorial system to improve onboarding.

Issue: Dislike for the current way you advance to the next city. Feelings of wasted opportunity to grow the previous city to its full potential. Advancement feels too forced.

Improvement: Crop landscape closer to city boundaries to remove “wasted growth opportunity” and make next city feel that much bigger. Move to a combined building level based population and allow keys to be earned even after reaching the pop limit to advance.

Issue: Desire for more player choice (as in Sim City).

Improvement: Allow zone choice when buying a new lot. Add RCI-like balance graph with % building earning boost to promote balance.

Issue: Frustration with specific building missions.

Improvement: Show preview and describe zone type and lot size of require building. Add explanation to historical button.

Bug: Total progression wipe.

Bug: Lag when closing menus in large cities.

Bug: Autonomous Driving upgrade underpowered.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

bubbapook posted:

Just to add to the "turn the Task list icon from red to green upon completion" feedback, it would be really helpful to have an at a glance indicator of completion for the current quest. I am constantly opening the task list to see if one of my four recycling plants exists (which is almost impossible to spot in city 6).

You could "fill" the task list icon with green for each of the collectibles needed (e.g. when it's full the quest is complete) and put god rays on a collectible building when it spawns and teach the player to make it historic.

More visual stuff would be good. Also I've made it so that mission progress can never go backwards meaning once you hit the required number it will stay completed.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I just mean that if you need 2 baseball fields and miss marking the second as historical before it disappears you won't be screwed.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

IllegallySober posted:

Sure, but what you're saying is that if you didn't mark the first one as historical, and rebuilt on the first spot, simply having another baseball field show up later would not trigger the reward. Correct?

Correct, the whole challenge of the mission is marking things as historical. Perhaps we should change the mission functionality to actually be "Have 2 Baseball Fields marked as historical".

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
It's fun doing careful manicuring of parts of your city when you can choose the zones.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

porktree posted:

I really like custom zoning.

Twice now I have entered the prestige menu by clicking on the key, and had my city reset to ground zero.

Edit: 3 times.

Like just tapping the key button restarts you, or you're accidentally tapping the blue trophy button on that screen?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

B Is For Razor posted:

Just experienced another full wipe. Clicked a notification that my vault was full and went straight to the opening tutorial.

Was everyone else wiping after tapping vault notifications? What platform are you on?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Wee Bairns posted:

Also had a progress deletion bug, swiped down an Android (7.1.1) notification, swiped it up and away, was returned to splash screen with progress lost. Nexus 5x.
Still loving the hell out of this, especially after the recent update.

So while in the game you pulled down the notifications and when you swiped back up to get to the game it reloaded the app with progress gone?

Did you guys have cloud services activated? There is a lot we do when the game leaves/comes to the foreground so it is hard to nail down. Hope I can get it to reproduce.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

porktree posted:

Duh. Not accidentally. I am dumb.

So you'd be in favor of a confirmation dialog there I'm assuming?

Also has anyone hit the game wipe bug on iOS?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Wee Bairns posted:

Yes, this is precisely what happened. Like it forced a restart of the game, failing to load the original save and instead replacing it with a new one. This was before I activated cloud sync, I might add, silly of me, yes, but likely played a part.

Are you playing on multiple devices? We've had some weird issues from Google Play Games Services syncing game data in the background.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

pixaal posted:

What about if spending keys also increased starting cash making it not feel like a huge slot when you start over. You have 200% increased income but your starting point is low and that first map is boring and sucks to do over and over. If I could get enough keys to instantly buy all 4 plots I'd feel like I'm progressing.

Nice idea. Going to try it!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Snorkzilla posted:

I'm in total agreement on the windmill perk. It's a complete waste

Yeah, we can tweak it. You mean the tier 7 upgrade, not the Game upgrade right?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Lowness 72 posted:

I was playing Bit City and my phone caught on fire.

I'm (mostly) kidding. I was playing it on the subway, then got off at my stop and put the phone away in my pocket. Was in a shop and heard POP! Smoke starts pouring out of my jacket pocket. Luckily I was able to toss it on the floor before it really started blowing up. Ugh.

Anyway - I won't be able to continue testing for a while lol.

O_O

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Kraven Moorhed posted:

On the other hand, I tried doing small lots first a few times to see how it went, and it just ends up screwing you over -- since you'll have more lots before you start getting the big ones, their build times will become a huge chokepoint for upgrading any later large lots. I figured wind power might offer an incentive to getting more buildings or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Really, large lots just seem strictly better in every case I've seen so far. Yeah, you can use them to tweak your percentages, but that's about it. Might need some tweaking to keep it interesting.

Yeah too many advantages to the large lots. They are actually too cheap, the cost for one is the same as a small lot (n+1) and it should be (n+4). Also the build times should be 4x as long as a small lot of the same level. Fixing those these might balance things out.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

bubbapook posted:

Something that's been gnawing at me while playing is this: what am I trying to unlock/gain from progress?

In Pocket Trains/Planes it was new vehicles and awesome routes around the world. In Tiny Tower it was a new floor or stacking dream jobs.

I am kind of struggling in Bit City to find that same hook, tiny as it may be. The new buildings that you can unlock with bux don't really do anything different outside of the flat, generic earning bonus.

I feel like there needs to be some additional carrot in here, especially with the prestige mechanic. This obviously won't be any kind of news to you guys, but just wanted to express it from a customer point of view, and one who's played both your other games and plenty of other tappers/idlers (currently deep into Tap Titans 2, for example).

In this analogy, what did the new Tiny Tower floors you would unlock do differently besides look different?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Ephphatha posted:

This doesn't appear to be working as intended. Large lots cost a flat 10b more than a small lot on my (in progress) city. Haven't been paying attention to build times so I can't comment on that.

Yeah I phrased it wrong. The problem was that the next lot was costing the same (but just multiplied by four for big lots). The cost for new lot when you have n lots is now LotCost(n+1) for small lots and LotCost(n+4) for large lots.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
So the idea of just adding on to one enormous city instead of restarting has been around for a while but it has some issues.

1) People will be just confused/upset when their buildings stayed but all their upgrades we reset, and they lost their cars, planes, and boats.

2) You'd quickly run out of space with limits to how many buildings can render. Even starting with the size of city 8 you'd end up with way less lots to build at each distinct level.

3) While it would take longer you still would have to restart your city at some point, only now players are even more attached to it.

We really would like a way to better ease the transitions between cities, but I'm at a loss so far on a method that would actually work in practice.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Dali Parton posted:

Why not have certain city upgrades carry over?

I'm not sure that would scale as people will be going through quite a number of cities. Also unless it was obvious and visual I bet many wouldn't notice.

This is actually reminding me of when we added prestiging to Tiny Tower and ended up saving copies of your tower to the server for you to view later if you wanted (non-interactive). Do you think people would like that?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

porktree posted:

What's up with 'Instant Build' - in the last iteration, I could insta-build some buildings until I got the right one for a dollar. Now the costs are insane. Leaving me to ask how long it's going to take to build my trailer park slum in River Ridge.

Yeah, probably needs to be lowered back down.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

chiefnewo posted:

Another bug in the new update: when you try to get an ad and it fails, the "Technical Difficulty" popup keeps popping up when you close it. Pops up at least half a dozen times before going away properly.

Yeah, fixing this (happens 2x now will get it down to 1 later) and the prestige bug now and putting up another build.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Don't worry we're not trying to slow the game down intentionally. We were just adjusting the large lots so that they aren't the only thing people build at first. We'll get things adjusted better quickly.
Edit, also the regional branch profits are supposed to be 10x higher, I just made a mistake.

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 2, 2017

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

VodeAndreas posted:

Since 2 updates ago it keeps asking for Location permissions on my android phone, why does it need this? Is it for targeted ads or something?

Yeah it is required by one of the ad networks we use. What happens if you just decline it?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

DontMindMe posted:

I haven't been getting ads at all for awhile now. I got them when I started for the first time, but then after the first day they just stopped appearing, and since the more recent update, instead of hanging forever, it eventually says "There was a problem playing your video, please check back later!"

This is on the android version on Galaxy S6

EDIT: Oh weird, it finally started working again after I prestiged for the first time.

Just curious what country are you in?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Anyone with a high key count notice abnormal earnings? I think I might have introduced a bug.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, when I get a special building I unlocked it automatically marks it historic. I guess that's okay because you want to see your cool new buildings. But the bonus the building provides is always happening whether or not it's present, right?

Also if I uncheck historic and it randomly builds it again it re-checks the box which is a little more annoying.

Also also I unlocked the university, and the first big lot business I built was that. In the pas I wouldn't get it for a lot more building levels.

The way it works now the building must be present and only that individual building gets the boost. It has a high chance of showing up and only one will appear at a time. This needs to be explained somewhere.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Are the only people having trouble getting ads on iOS?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

BobTheJanitor posted:

Just noticed this existed, but the android version says the early access program is full. Any chance you'll be opening more space soon?

Hope so, I had to limit it after I looked and saw we had 30k beta testers O_O

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Chadina posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you consider the goal or hook for this game? Just collecting the buildings?

I mostly ask because I updated and started the game for the first time in quite awhile. I prestiged immediately to check out the new features and the game plays much nicer and than the early builds. But after the shine of the new features, I don't really have any reason to keep playing at the moment. I beat city 8 on a previous build, so there aren't any new cities to experience. Getting more keys doesn't really do anything useful for me now since I've got a significant bonus from them. The only thing I have left to do near as I can tell is spend money on bux to buy buildings, which buying buildings doesn't help me do at all since I no longer have incentive to advance my city. Basically, near as I can tell, I have no more content with these updates.

As with Egg Inc, if the game does well I'm sure we'll add additional cities (the moon maybe?).

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Doctor Zero posted:

The special building explanation is good. But I'm still a little confused. I had a sushi restaurant and motorcycle dealer unlocked and they are getting flagged as historical but they don't get any kind of % bonus. The university I unlocked does. Is it just not displaying the bonus for the sushi and motorcycle place? Or did you remove them from the list of Special buildings but they are still getting auto marked as historical?

The last thing you said. The latest update should strip the "Special" buildings from your which no longer are actually special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Chadina posted:

That might help, but you'd have to find a way to keep scaling outside of just making the city bigger. As-is I seem to recall City 8 had like 1000 lots you had to build on and clicking twice on each lot is already tedious as gently caress. You'd need a new advancement mechanic in place to keep making the cities interesting or at least not tedious.

I honestly wish I had an actual suggestion, but that is always the challenge with an idle game: how do you keep the concept of bigger numbers engaging?

I'm imagining starting small again on the moon but everything is much more expensive and you have a new list of available upgrades.

• Locked thread