Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Hasn't he flavor claimed King or something? He seemed pretty confident in it. I don't like that he advised us to immediately attack, given that he looked at the guide and left out the part where we meet another character there. It does seem to be deliberately misleading, and I don't remember, did he respond to that accusation?

It appears not.

##vote Moat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

chaoslord posted:

The answer I was looking for was "Of course not." Like, you have zero motivation to claim right now. You're -7 to lynch! Why in the world would you just randomly, unprompted, throw out your flavor? Especially an hour out and needing 8 votes to be lynched.

A nervous scum not wanting the winds to change and land on him would, though. Especially because like no one was talking about the votes on him. The funny thing is he would have skated by just fine if he hadn't tried to beat the story to the press.

Why exactly are you emptyvoting me? Like, what am I supposed to do, sit here and hope that you're not scum making a last minute baseless push on a town player? Because that's what it looks/feels like to me.

So I claim flavor (which doesn't affect the game, and is something multiple people have already beaten me to) and suddenly I'm "flailing scum"? Don't emptyvote me and push a last second mislynch on me. It's stupid and annoying and transparent.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

chaoslord posted:

Yes I as scum made as last minute push with an empty vote for a player no one was taking about and then decided not to even follow it up with more posts pushing that person, rather than going after one of the leading candidates that people were taking about. You caught me.

An hour from deadline is not a last second mislynch. Don't be dramatic.

Why did you empty vote me 90 minutes before deadline, making me -1 from the vote leader?

You did it for a reason, I'd like to hear it :)

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
The more people resist lynching a player who did something deliberately anti-town, was called out on it, and never responded to it, the more I want to lynch them.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

Is this in reference to me???

Why did you say we should attack a princess????

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
In IS's defense, I picked a job and didn't get any response either.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Infinitum posted:

I claimed Bowie because I was tunnelling Stickup, who I still believe to be scum, and was wanting to see what his reaction would be to the pressure.
I didn't like his reaction, thus I firmly believe him to be scum.

It was less trying to get a claim out of him, and more seeing how he reacted under pressure.

(Remembering that he was Emperor Purple Praying Mantis last game)

Lol that was Kash.

I was so happy when he flipped PPM

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
My guess is that one of the jobs gives a 1-shot NK and scum had a spree.

At least I hope it's one shot, 4 NKs every day is pretty devastating.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

this is a stickup posted:

it's black mage. started with 1-shot vig

I used mine to kill infinitum because he is a bad bad aus man with a fake fake meta read on me

turns out he is only scum in real life, though

Why did you kill him instead of me, the person you were voting/pushing?

Not that I'm complaining, just wondering why you didn't kill the player you were convinced was scum/hard pushing to lynch.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

Effort case?? :allears:

I feel like we should mass claim at this point and the game may be solveable? What are your thoughts?

How is mass-claiming anything but egregiously anti-town?

1. It will allow scum to easily pick off their targets with their N2 vig spree.
2. Scum have what, 5 options for fake-claiming other roles?

Bifauxnen posted:

I doubt it would be solvable, cause anyone could've freely chosen anything. I was hoping maybe later on we could press people under suspicion to quickly explain their whole backstory of job choices and use that as a way to judge how sincere and forthcoming they are, but who knows if we'll even have a D3 at this rate, bloody hell

What do you mean by having people explain their job choices? Everyone but scum is basically choosing blind.

Everyone is a power role, yeah? And since everyone who is town can have any role, claiming the role that was chosen, even under pressure, (or pushing for claims) only hurts town, because obviously duplicate or triplicate roles are a possibility.

I really, really dislike both these posts. They're ignoring the mechanics of the game we're playing and advocating for town to out the jobs they picked. It allows scum to solve the game.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

Tobbs actually presents a hella good read on Moat and Bif. The only way you can judge players "based on their job choice' is to know what the jobs do ahead of time. Possible major slip. Otoh you can generally discern what your job would do just based on the job right? White mage is probably a doc. Thief probably steals CP. Black mage kills. The other 3 are a bit harder to discern tho.

That would be my guess (for those jobs).

But if you're town and you have any of those roles, is it remotely helpful to claim them, even under pressure?

No, because:

1. Scum know all the jobs and can fakeclaim anything.
2. Any role can be duplicated or lied about by anyone (except town with regard to lying).

This, pretty obviously, should be a claimless game. Everyone should pick whatever role they want, never crumb it, and only come out if they have a useful result. Otherwise scum can game solve.

Moat, and to a lesser extent Bif are advocating claims, which based on the mechanics of the game, helps scum and hurts town.

I'm just repeating myself here, but based on the setup I'm pretty sure I'm interpreting the game correctly and would very much like nobody to claim anything, ever, because there were 4 deaths and we can't afford to make any mistakes.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

King Burgundy posted:

I can confirm that one of the roles provides protection. I'm fine claiming if we wanna go that route.

Scum already know what all the roles do, so maybe it's worth sharing?

KB: I am a protective role, and I think optimal play is to tell everyone that.

First off, even if you're telling the truth, being a protective role doesn't make you town. Why? Because potentially every player can have a night kill. If scum doesn't have a doctor then they could be in trouble.

You know how this post reads to me?

"I'm a scum player who doesn't want to be targeted by a town vig, so I'm going to claim a protective role."

Does anyone else think a town protective role would never, ever do this?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

jon joe posted:

This reads to me as fake outrage.

The "to be honest" is what sells it.

##vote IS

Of yesterday's lynch candidates I am leaning more towards Moat (ILU MOTE) being scum. I was really, really hoping that the vote would swing back towards him, but that didn't happen.

King Burgundy posted:

Ok, 8 minutes.

##vote IS

In fact, KB tossed out the vote putting IS two votes ahead of Moat (instead of tying them). I know, making alignment calls on unflipped players is atrocious, but KB's vote stood out to me for a couple reasons.

King Burgundy posted:

Naw, she really didn't have any valid point even after I accounted for that. It just doesn't make sense without additional information/insight. Like for that pairing to make sense, there is a missing piece. Like really, for it to work, she'd have to be saying that I always drag the game out of joke phase. And that is not something I do on the regular. It's just impossible for me to have been trying hard during joke phase without participating in it. It's not like I can exist in my own bubble without interacting with others.

When I looked back at my games to prove her wrong I confirmed that I wasn't missing anything in regards to that. I won't reiterate what I found here.

I still think what she was saying seems made up, and it seemed to me like she was shifting her opinion to respond.

I'm waffling a bit now because I somewhat agree with what she's been saying on claiming and it doesn't seem like it's coming from a scum place.

So, what did Asiina say about claiming?

Asiina posted:

How?

Scum already know what the jobs do.

Yeah if everyone claims it'll be bad, but I don't see how a few people claiming does anything other than help others make informed decisions, especially since I don't think "check an FAQ" is going to be as useful as you think.

I picked Red Mage because Red Mages are typically really good early game and poo poo late game. My level 1 power is that it counts as both martial and magical, so when I pick a new job later the CP cost will be whatever is more favourable. This is a borderline useless power and completely opposite of what I thought it would be considering the role RMs have in FF games.

I would suggest other people if they haven't picked yet pick something else. Maybe it will be good on D3 when I get my Level 2 power, but I'm likely not going to wait that long.

I already asked CPig if we could change more than once per day because honestly I'd spend all my CP just going through as many jobs as I could and then announce the level 1 powers, but he said 1 per day.

She was for it, and KB was agreeing with her. Now, we know that Asiina was town, but I think her view on claiming is either misguided, or she really, really didn't like whatever the Red Mage did and that was coloring her opinion.

However, KB keeps up with the suggestion that we claim, as he decided to claim protective role D2, possibly to start a chain of claims?

Moat is also very pro-claiming. I don't like it. It stinks. I feel like KB and Moat should know better, and while KB is trying to be subtle and Moat is being bold, the end result is that these guys want all the info out there so that scum can target town effectively.

I would be comfortable voting KB or Moat today, though I'd like to hear their responses first. KB mentioned he'd only be able to post in the evenings for the next 3 days, and I imagine Moat will respond eventually.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

Really my main issue is we have two people jump up and claim the kills

We have 2 unclaimed. This does not sit well with me. I explained this after I was trying to get everyone's opinion on claiming

I am seeing your KB idea but really you're barking up the wrong tree with me

Did you not read the part where scum know what every role is and can fake-claim anything? Also, with the jobs system people can change their roles on the fly.

The only effect claiming has will be to let scum know who to target at night. Are you really not seeing this?

As for Kash/stickup (IIRC those were the claimed vigs), claiming their actions is pretty bold. They both apparently have another vig tonight, and hopefully they'll choose scum as targets. Now that they're outed (and 4 townies are dead) they have a better shot at hitting scum.

Unless all the black mages are scum. In that case they can just roll town and there's really nothing we can do about it. This is also why I find it hard to believe IS's outrage is faked. A setup where every scum player can kill two nights in a row and town is flying blind with regard to roles is about as bastard as a setup can get. We already may never recover from N1.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

Really my main issue is we have two people jump up and claim the kills

We have 2 unclaimed. This does not sit well with me. I explained this after I was trying to get everyone's opinion on claiming

I am seeing your KB idea but really you're barking up the wrong tree with me

Also, is your argument for a mass claim that the scum team is going to out themselves?

"drat, Moat got us, time to claim that we are scum-aligned black mages."

Come on Moat...I love you man but...really?

[i]Really?]/]

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Also, is your argument for a mass claim that the scum team is going to out themselves?

[i]Really?]/i]

Mafia edit. (who fucks up italics? Tobbs. Tobbs fucks up italics.)

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Really?

omg

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

He gave scum an easy out to towniness, which to me implies he isn't really thinking hard about what he says before he says it. That's a town move.

I don't really see picking the black mage, killing a townie, and claiming it as the towniest of deeds.

Really, all scum has to do is kill someone and have a reasonable reason for it. If so, they can claim it freely as a town vig that just happened to hit the wrong, but scummy, target.

I didn't really read Asiina and Infinitum as being very scummy. Like, the top scumspects for D1 were obviously Moat and IS. We had information on who was voting them, and their flips would have given us information.

But nobody killed the previous day's vote leaders after a no-lynch, so we have zero information.

How, exactly, is that pro-town? I've seen stickup (as town), for example, murder a player with a daykill because we were about to no-lynch. And now, on N1, he picks neither a vote leader nor the person he himself was voting for and kills them.

Yes, you can justify your vigs as hitting a player you say you thought was scummy, but all the kills were zero-info kills.

Also, you both claimed vig right away (and someone has apparently been roleblocked). Why claim before we had more information? Now if you are town, you're almost certainly going to be blocked N2.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon's_Peak

Dragon's Peak, also known as the Road to the Summit, is a location from Final Fantasy III found just to the east of Canaan. Bahamut is first encountered here, but is impossible to defeat at this stage. Once the Warriors of the Light rescue Desch from becoming the meal of Bahamut's offspring, and themselves in the process via jumping off Bahamut's nest, the Warriors can never climb the mountain to the summit again once they return here via ship or airship, at least in the Famicom version.

Since Bahamut is impossible to defeat, I suggest we not use Magic items on him (they'd just be wasted).

Leaning A.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Gonna lock in A. The walkthrough was pretty accurate as far as how things turned out last time, and since we can't beat Bahamut it's probably best to try and avoid it.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

Whether you were trying or not, your vote just happened to fall at a time when Moat and Stickup were equally tied. So yes, it would help build momentum whether you liked it or not.

As I said right there in the post, if Moat flipped town (which we do not know yet), I would want to look back at that vote of yours as suspicious.

I mean, you say you weren't trying to, and you say it was just chosen by rng, but I do not know this because town does not know everyone's alignment and thus sometimes, we have to wonder whether things are a lie because they are from scum!

Making cases based on votes moving from one unflipped player to another is bad.

Take Moat vs. Stickup for example. If Moat flips town, it doesn't mean anything. It only potentially has meaning if Moat flips town AND Stickup flips scum.

Is that your case/reasoning? Do you know stickup's alignment? Is that why you're continuing down this path of logical reasoning, rather than saying "I probably shouldn't be casing people for changing momentum from one unflipped player to another."?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

that would be why I said "note to self", to "come back to this" to check out AN, after that happened. This would also be why I did not bother to vote for AN or act like this was something that could be called scummy yet. You are correct though that it only means something special if Moat is town AND Stickup is scum, otherwise there is no reason to try and sway the vote. I did think Stickup was fairly scummy though, and was still voting Stickup myself at the time, in hopes Stickup could have been lynched by then. It was something I thought interesting at the time, and wanted to remember for later.

Might be hard to follow though, what with my placing 4 votes over the course of 24 hours.

I do still think stickup's claimed vig target (non-vote leader, not even who he pushed) is dicey.

Like, I can see him not killing Moat or IS if he had a strong town read on them, but he pushed me all day and then killed Infinitum.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

I think bif and kb are scum together and I feel really left out rn

:(

I am waiting for KB to post lol

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

what is your goal here? do you want me to kill you tonight to make up for it?

If you do I would suggest not claiming it lol, it will look bad. Just say x number of kills must have been blocked N2 and you withheld your night action.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Mithross posted:

Promoting lies? I do not like this tobbs.

You are missing that we're talking snarkily about him murdering me.

(I hope it's snarky don't kill me)

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

This road, it's familiar. Town aligned dayvig/nightvig lol.

(pls no im gud)

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

tobbs is suicidal!

Noooooo

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

King Burgundy posted:

I dunno, I think it could be for a few different reasons. For one thing, people were kinda freaking out at the number of kills, and learning that Stick and Kash apparently get another kill tonight, which, if they aren't scum, is in addition to whichever scum may have taken that job. Well, if we know the roles, maybe we can figure out a way to stop kills from happening, or severely curtail it. It's pretty clear from my posting that I'm soft claiming a role that would prevent a kill. I won't out it if people really think it is a bad idea, but I was just thinking if one of every job claimed what it does, that would give all of us as a whole the same info that scum have and people can change jobs as needed to stymie the scum team.

I really don't think your logic is necessarily sound. I mean, sure, mass claiming may not be a great idea, I haven't run the numbers and can't really without knowing what all the jobs do, but surely just having one rep from each job claim what they do wouldn't be?

KB, what good is an outed town protective role?

As good as dead. We have no idea what each other's roles do, and since they've already been chosen, there's little we can do with the info from claiming.

All it accomplishes is to give scum a much better chance at killing the "right" players.

I think it was Bif who suggested claiming if you're as good as dead and at -1. There's no chance it can save you, given that scum can fakeclaim any role.

Also, scum could take your idea and run with it, hoping for town cred, and nobody would be the wiser.

You should know better KB. I expected you to back off on the idea after the explanations I've given, not double down.

I think you're scum. Town KB would never have outed himself as a protective role. He's much, much smarter than that.

##vote KB

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

oh jeez another thing I found wrong with this post

if you're at -1 about to die, claiming doesn't need to save you to be worthwhile. You need to just dump your job info before you go so town doesn't lose it. Scum already know all the job details.

plus anyone else who picks black mage now for shits and giggles

I was pointing it out as an okay way to claim.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

King Burgundy posted:

I didn't, but I honestly don't see the harm and I'm tired of dancing around it.

I took White Mage, it gets 1 shot doc at level 1. It gets another 1 shot of doc at level 3.

As to how we'd make it to the later crystal's jobs, maybe black mage only gets the two kills. And there was no guarantee that anyone who took black mage would get a kill off if there were similar numbers of people who picked white mage.

Since you've decided to claim doctor, mind telling us who you protected N1 and why?

Also, wouldn't you be suspicious of someone claiming a protective role? If they are scum, they would likely do that in order to draw a town protective visit, not having to worry about night kills.

King Burgundy posted:

Still not done reading but, no. I'm probably in no danger. Depending on what all the other roles do. If I shared the info, maybe other people could also not die. I'm torn on if you are just being yourself, or if this is a scum push.

Also, the worry about scum getting cred from it somehow is obviously ridiculous given your hounding of anyone who wanted to claim including flipped town, right? That's a straw man.

Oh, I see, you've already covered that angle. I just finished a game with a claimed cop and two doctors. Neither doctor protected the cop and he died.

But you're completely unworried about having a protective role and being night-killed.

Why?

Oh, and I wasn't hounding Asiina post-mortem. You said you agreed with her position on claiming, so I needed to quote her to provide context. She was okay with claiming because she said Red Mage sucked.

I think you didn't want to bring up claims yourself because you are scum and you know it helps you. Rather, you latch onto town players who suggest it as a way to push the issue.

Also, think a bit further ahead. You and Bif strongly suggest switching between Wind Crystal jobs. Won't that make it less likely that we'll have enough CP for subsequent, possibly more powerful jobs? I will tell you freely that I'm not going to waste my CP switching now. I'll get a new job every time a new crystal opens, because I assume that they'll have "better" roles.

So that's really two strikes against your idea.

1. You don't acknowledge the advantage scum gains by knowing which roles to target each night.
2. You don't acknowledge the disadvantage from switching between Wind Crystal jobs, rather than waiting for potentially more powerful jobs.

I want to have as much personal capability as possible, as well as as much town diversity as possible. Why? Because if the scum team has to worry about potentially every role being in play, and not knowing who can do what, they will have a tough game.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

Please remember you can literally swap jobs daily

Kashuno posted:

also idk about you guys but I have WAY more than enough CP to swap jobs a few times

Right. And if you reach level 5 in your current job, it will cost 10+5 CP to get a fire crystal job. Keep that in mind. As well as the fact that thieves steal CP, which could lock you out of the Fire Crystal jobs.

Even the level 3 people need to spend 8 CP to switch. So if you have a level 3 town player they have 25 points (10 + 10 + 10 -5), and would go down to 17 from switching. Not to mention they'd never get whatever their level 5 ability is (the one that can probably be used by spending CP after changing jobs).

Am I the only one who thinks it's a better idea to reach level 5 in a job, then switch to a new job from a better crystal, effectively making me a dual power role?

I guess so.

This isn't setup spec or anything, it's Math. Since scum know every job, they've probably planned out their job paths. Switching now ensures that scum will always be a step ahead. Besides, if we believe that both you and Stickup are town, there were at most two scum kills last night. 4 town deaths sucks royally, but it's entirely possible that scum is playing a longer game and had other roles in their repertoire in order to provide diversity.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

You should be willing to swap jobs based on the current game state not just getting to lvl5 I don't really have an interest in getting yet another vig so I will probs swap

The current game state is that scum can also change their jobs. Do we want to play catch-up, or see what's in the other tiers?

I have no idea what kinds of roles CPig has made, especially with vig and doc being cheap and easily accessible. If those are the weakest roles in the game, we'd best be prepared for when scum reaches the next tier.

If scum have 4 night kills every night, the game will be over quickly regardless of whether or not we try to coordinate.

All it takes is scum saying they picked White mage, getting town to heal them, and vigging any player that falls for it.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
The guide says to grind before facing her since she's so difficult.

However, I think that A might be a trump card that keeps scum from getting CP if used at the right time.

Agree with Kash, AC good BD bad.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

Doesn't this make it all the more important to know what the jobs actually DO? If someone was convinced by Asiina's claim to avoid picking Red Mage, for instance, they wouldn't have to swap out once they find out a different job is better. I'm not sure what you're even railing against anymore, before it was against claiming, now it's just against switching. But having just a few people claim should help prevent excessive switching. It seems like you just wanna rant at me and KB on any topic whatsoever so you keep shifting the goalposts. Hell, I'm surprised that you bothered to write all this poo poo but never replied to the stuff I wrote when I voted you, about what you said was an "okay way to claim". No clarifications or righteous town anger at being misunderstood? Or are you hoping to play it scum cool and it'll just blow over if you don't overreact?

Speaking of writing all this poo poo:

For someone who was being so obtuse and clueless about the most basic implications of this setup, like the need for town to gain some information, and the reduced impact of one single person claiming a protective role, you seem to be nerding out way hard all of a sudden over these exact math details. Like, I am miss spreadsheet who loves to analyze this kind of poo poo usually, but even I haven't bothered touching it cause all I saw was "wind role = 5 CP" when I've got plenty of CP to cover a few changes if I wanted, and who the hell knows if anyone's gonna live long enough to afford more poo poo. But maybe you're more concerned about it cause you don't have as many points to spend for some reason!

(hint: the reason is cause scum have not been awarded as many points)

I'll try to address the bolded parts, which I think are important.

wouldn't have to swap out once they find out a different job is better
having just a few people claim should help prevent excessive switching
"wind role = 5 CP" when I've got plenty of CP to cover a few changes

There are a couple advantages to town not swapping roles within the same tier constantly.

1. Based on the claims that we have, it looks like level 1 and level 3 are 1-shot abilities. If a job reaches level 5, it will probably give an ability that isn't 1-shot. Per the OP, those abilities can be used for the rest of the game by spending CP, even if you switch your job.

CapitalistPig posted:

One last note about jobs, You will be able to use the powers of all previously attained jobs by spending Capacity points to do so. Skill level 1 powers cost 10 CP, level 3 powers cost 15 CP, and Level 5 powers cost 20 CP. You have to have attained that skill level at the previous job though, you will also not be able to spend CP on powers from previous classes if the ability is X-Shot and you have used it up already.

2. Claiming power roles gives scum major advantages. They know what capabilities each power role has, and what they will allow players to most effectively evolve into later.

3. Changing jobs between affinities can be prohibitively expensive, as illustrated in the OP.

CapitalistPig posted:

Affinity:

The other thing that has an effect on Job Cost is Affinity, basically each job fits into a category and certain categories do not synergize well with others. It is based on the following chart.

If the job you are currently in does not "flow" to the job you are currently changing to it will cost an additional 10 CP to change to, so this creates an affinity of sorts, Martial classes (Warriors, Knights etc..) will be able to change to Agility based classes(Ranger, Ninja, Thief etc..) with no extra cost but will incur a 10 point penalty switching to a Magical class (Black Mage, White Mage, Sage etc...)

All classes can freely move to and from default classes(Freelancer and the hidden job) without additional cost.

So, if you're a level 3 warrior it would cost 5CP (base) +3CP(Skill) +10CP(affinity penalty) for a total of 18CP. Also, you'll never get to use whatever the level 5 ability is if you need it later (assuming that skill levels 1 and 3 are 1-shot).

Do you still have plenty of CP to spend changing jobs?

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I think it was Bif who suggested claiming if you're as good as dead and at -1. There's no chance it can save you, given that scum can fakeclaim any role.

I'm not sure what to tell you here. If people want to claim at -1, it's fine because it shouldn't get anyone out of a lynch. If someone claims something at -1 and suddenly people are unvoting them, I'd find it incredibly suspicious. Really, claiming at -1 is the only time someone should be talking about roles that they have. For the record, here's what you said before you started tunneling me.

Bifauxnen posted:

We're in new territory here since FF1 and FF2 had set roles, instead of people choosing for themselves.

I don't think having people claim too early is a good idea, especially if it's just to report what each job gets. Whatever we can report now wouldn't help people figure out how good the later abilities are, or how well an early job goes transitioning to a later job. People should probably just look up an ff3 gamefaq to get a vague idea of which role does what, and plot out a gameplan for themselves.

We should end up with a decent mix of jobs this way anyway, since people have different playstyles.

Does this contrast with your present statement, "the need for town to gain some information"?

Bifauxnen posted:

Also, anyone right about to be lynched could obviously just fullclaim whatever they know on the way out.

Is it super surprising that I'd find your position, up to that point, reasonable? Before you started voting and casing me, you completely agreed with me.

Bifauxnen posted:

##vote Tobbs

Blah blah blah hey guess what, maybe we could get even more protective roles all signed up today, if people knew whether or not it was a decent choice to make. If you switch jobs now to a protective role, will you be able to protect right away at level 1? Or will you have to wait and survive a night and not be able to do anything till level 2? These are pretty important things to know, that town does not yet know.

Having one person say "ok I picked White Mage yesterday and here's what I got" says nothing about how many other white mages are out there, or even if that person is gonna keep on white maging every day.

In any case, KB's already hinted enough already so he might as well tell us the technical specs. If that's supposed to be a bad idea cause it'll get him targeted, well, all the more reason to spill the deets before he gets his rear end killed.

Based on this post from D1 (in conjunction with his "softclaim" at the beginning of D2),, I already assumed that KB could protect at level 1

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I mean, I guess we could just level up, do the story and get jobs. With no night kill there isn't really any kind of ticking clock.

But having said that, I have reason to believe there are kills in this game, even if no night kill. So it may not be that straight forward.

I guess my best response to your case/vote on me...is to agree with you?

Bifauxnen posted:

I don't think having people claim too early is a good idea, especially if it's just to report what each job gets. Whatever we can report now wouldn't help people figure out how good the later abilities are, or how well an early job goes transitioning to a later job. People should probably just look up an ff3 gamefaq to get a vague idea of which role does what, and plot out a gameplan for themselves.

We should end up with a decent mix of jobs this way anyway, since people have different playstyles.

I apologize for quoting the same post twice. I just find it odd that once I started casing KB, you jumped on me and pushed me despite earlier expressing the very same opinions you're asking me to explain/defend now.

It's almost like your opinions are completely fabricated to push a lynch on a player that is casing your scumbro. I'm wrong, aren't I? Surely you're town and wouldn't do something so obvious, right? I expect people's opinions to evolve organically, or at least for them to remember the opinions that they were pretending to hold earlier.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

feeling too lazy to quote all those bits between other quotes so let me just sum up Tobbs, on D1 I thought it would be better to just hold our horses and do those few claims on D2 so scum don't have a clue during the night who picked what. But then we woke up to 4 people dead and it seemed a bit dumb in retrospect to keep waiting around.

The other thing to consider is that nobody has a level 5 ability, or knows how strong they might be.

Claiming your job gives scum exactly how many CP you have, what power role you have and may receive at level 5, and what roles you will or will not be able to switch to later (based on inflated affinity cost), all of which greatly simplify their ability to pick targets and wipe out players who will soon become dangerous.

Do you think it's worth all of that to claim on D2, when you don't even know the level 5 ability?

I'm all about compromise, but depending on how useful my level 5 ability is, I may or may not claim it once I switch to the next tier. I might decide that it's so useful I don't want scum to know I could, at any time, use it.

However, if I don't like the level 5 ability and am never planning to use it, I might reveal it once I switch. The only reason I might not, for example, is that if I claim that I started as a White Mage, for example, they will know that my next class is either Magic or Warrior (unless I want to waste 10CP switching to agility).

Lastly, if I were scum, I would absolutely want one of each class to claim. They would go in a spreadsheet, and I'd know exactly what is possible for that player to do now, as well as a day or two ahead. I'd have fun with it.

So far only 3 living players have claimed. If scum have a spreadsheet, it's got to be mostly empty. Let's keep it that way, huh?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

Tobbs who is scum

My confidence in scumpicking is shattered post-eccogame, but I don't see KB, as town, claiming Doctor D2.

I also don't buy stickup's choice of vig target.

Moatillata posted:

I feel like we should mass claim at this point and the game may be solveable? What are your thoughts?

I don't like this post from Moat suggesting everyone claim, as well as my having a town read on IS and KB putting him in the lead over Moat close to deadline.

King Burgundy posted:

So diving into this further, no final vote count, but reconstructing, here was the last vote count posted:

Then I voted IS, MMT voted Moat, Inf voted IS(but didn't like it), JJ voted IS.

So interesting note, two of the people who wanted to cuddle IS died. And a third person who was willing to vote him to avoid a no cuddle, also dead. And one person who voted Moat.

I wouldn't be shocked if the extra kills on people who wanted to vote IS is because he's scum.

This case from KB is about the worst I've ever seen from him. Asiina is one of the people voting IS who was killed...by you. Yet instead of casing you for killing Asiina, he uses your kill as evidence that IS is scum. He also throws Gulag in there as someone willing to lynch IS to avoid a no-lynch? The other bit of evidence from his case is that stickup killed Inf, but again, he's voting me, not stickup (despite agreeing with me that stickup's kill is odd).

This is scum KB. He's voting me because I've called him out on his scummy behavior, not because he thinks I'm scum. He apparently feels that IS, Kash, and stickup are scum due to flips and claimed night kills, and he's casing IS based on stickup/Kash's alignments.

Which is really dumb. Bif was doing the same thing (making connections to players based on other unflipped players in their case against ANarc).

Bifauxnen posted:

Whether you were trying or not, your vote just happened to fall at a time when Moat and Stickup were equally tied. So yes, it would help build momentum whether you liked it or not.

As I said right there in the post, if Moat flipped town (which we do not know yet), I would want to look back at that vote of yours as suspicious.

I mean, you say you weren't trying to, and you say it was just chosen by rng, but I do not know this because town does not know everyone's alignment and thus sometimes, we have to wonder whether things are a lie because they are from scum!

Here's Bif saying that ANarc is scum for putting Moat ahead of stickup, but as talked about, ANarc's vote doesn't mean anything unless you know stickup's alignment. So, what's Bif's opinion on stickup at this time?

Bifauxnen posted:

ok I'm feeling Moat for just as scummy as stickup right now. Part of it is cause stickup thought Tobbs was scummy, and I kind of agree with that, so that's a point in stickup's favor. But I really didn't like the feeling of stickup possibly sucking up to me. Not just the "I agree with Bif" thing, but also this:

Usually when I get that feeling and convince myself to not take my running joke too seriously, it turns out they were scum after all :v:

##vote stickup

still a bit suss on BK too though btw

Soft bus with smilies.

Ok, so who is scum?

KB, stickup, Bif, Moat.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

I know people like to throw around "misrepresenting" a lot when someone vaguely misinterprets something they said, but this is like one of the clearest examples of it literally happening. He literally quoted a post where I worked through a changing opinion and cut out nearly all of it, then complained that my views weren't evolving organically. I mean what the gently caress.

Sorry about that! I was looking specifically for the bit where you said claiming near lunchtime would be a good idea.

You're right, though, you and KB both mentioned that Asiina brought up claiming, and used that as a way to say, "I'm not introducing this idea, someone else is!"

Neither you nor KB admit that claiming could have negative consequences, you focus only on the positives (of which there are few, especially before the level 5 skill is unlocked).

As yet, I don't see many people agreeing with you and claiming. I consider that absolutely to be a good thing (as I've exhaustingly justified).

If you and KB want to case/lunch me for explaining to you guys why your ideas are bad and wrong, go ahead.

Claiming helps scum more than it helps town. If you disagree, keep telling me why! I am pretty sure you guys are very much wrong and will happily argue my points further, which if you're lucky, will provide enough material for you to fabricate a case and get me mislynched.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

what the gently caress dude, when I said "note to self, come back to this later if..." that is literally what it meant. And it is why AN is NOT IN MY SCUMLIST YET cause I have NOT MADE THOSE CONNECTIONS YET

After the soft bus of stickup and pointing out ANarc's vote, I hope for your sake stickup ISN'T scum.

Because anyone looking back on this will think that you knew his alignment D1.

Also, relax, I'm not even voting you. Hell, KB is a strong player when he's town, and deep down I hope I'm wrong about him and that he can change my mind.

As yet, that hasn't happened.

Bifauxnen posted:

Well one reason not many people might be claiming is cause if they have RM, WM, or BM, someone else has already come forward to explain the role. Thief has also been inferred a bit with Mr. F claiming he had CP stolen during N1.

btw one other thing that's been bugging me is you sure seem unconcerned with the fast pace of this game, just leisurely expecting to make those choices of dual-classing once you get to level 5, is there some reason you don't expect to be nightkilled in the next big wave of BM vigs?

Not particularly. I'd like to experience all the mechanics first-hand, but if I get killed I get killed. At least the one person against claiming will be confirmed town, hopefully preserving my legacy and giving the town a chance :)

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Infinitum posted:

You realise I have purposely put a Legendary Piece of poo poo gangtag in my avatar for a reason right?
Cause I'm a sarcastic arsehole?

So don't get a stick up your butt when I make jokes baby~

I've read your case on IS.
I have stated I am currently voting Moat above IS, but both look slim shady.

Would vote either.

Infinitum posted:

I'm voting Moat because he loving lied to the thread by presenting misinformation, potentially influencing a vote to shift the wrong way.

I can acknowledge your case and not agree with it.

Infinitum posted:

Me watching people vote IS over Moat with 5min to go

Infinitum posted:

2min to go

Vote Moat

Lynch scum

Infinitum posted:

I do not agree with this vote

##vote IS

Also, to further throw shade on KB's "case" for IS being scum, here's a few posts from Infinitum.

He wanted Moat deaaaaaaad. If you think IS is scummier because Infinitum died having his vote on them...you're either not reading the thread or deliberately misrepresenting what happened.

Also, Infinitum called out KB for advocating a lurker lynch D1.

Terrible, terrible casing by KB. KB is not town.

Bif of course disagrees and thinks that KB's case is excellent and that I'm scum for bringing it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

Inf seems quiet wtf thats weird

ur joking rite inf ded

• Locked thread