Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Can I be Buttz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CapitalistPig posted:

Already full! role pms TONIGHT

poo poo, then I actually have to read the rules.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
confirmed I'm not reading this thread tonight.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hi, last night was T/D and today was housework. I'm gonna start making dinner and will read the 150 posts of this thread that I have not read, including the OP.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Update: I read the OP. I barely understood any of it.

I haven't played in the previous game(s?) so I don't know what the encounters are but we'll see I guess.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Wow that took no time at all to read because it was like 99% shitposts.

1) I wanna be a wildcat

2) f u tobbs only bssbsbb can call me Assna.

3) Hey Gulag, what do you think of the game?

4) KB isn't trying and he always tries ##vote KB

5) CPig you suck for using the DS version it's garbage. There's like a crazy difficulty curve right near the end for no reason at all.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I thought for sure 150 posts would take a few hours to read but nope cause there's barely any content.

Also I would have also voted B if I was here.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

I'm curious what you would consider trying in this game so far?

I expect more from you.

Unfair but there it is.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

I know I just welcomed you to the wildcats but I Don't Like this post and think it's weird/scummy

Which part? That there's barely been any content and 150 posts took like 15 minutes to read or that I would have voted for B?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

So to be clear. You think my normal play would be to stop joke phase to analyze only joke posts/votes to find the scum early on D1?

I just want to make sure I understand what you are claiming.

I don't normally see you participate so actively in joke phase. It is unusual to me.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
:allears:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Your story seems to be changing.

##vote Asiina

How so?

Would you classify any of your posts as participating in the game and not joking?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

That's actually a decent point. If I hadn't seen Asiina contradict herself as town in another game I'd be sold.

For now I'm just gonna keep an eye on her.

The one thing that's off is that multiple people have scum claimed and Asiina hasn't jumped on them as she usually does.

Are you not voting them because you're the scum Asiina, and you know they're joking?

I was overwhelmed with scumclaims.

Also please tell me where this "contradiction" is tia.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Your response to this question:

Was this:

Which goes counter to what you said before. What you are saying doesn't hang together. Please explain to me what I normally do during joke phase if your claim is now seemingly that I don't participate and simultaneously I also try harder?

I don't normally see you participate in joke phase by joking. You seem to be more likely to try to play for real immediately, even if there's only a little content. You're not doing that here, you're making jokes in jokephase which I feel is unusual for you.

It's like Quid. Quid almost never participates in jokephase. He's usually a lot more aggressive in being like WE ARE PLAYING FOR REAL NOW EVERYBODY *4000 posts and/or words* but same basic attitude.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Actively participating in jokephase = Not trying. Like moreso than trying to find what little content you can.

There are people who contribute to jokephase and keep it going via that contribution and I don't see you as one of them, so it's odd behaviour.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Naw. Give me a recent example game to look at that you are basing this supposed opinion on? And I guess it should be a game where I was town, since you seem to be implying that I would act like I am here as scum? Or are you saying I never do this in any game? In which case, what?

I mean I can look this up but it's more showing the negative. Like it's more productive again my point if you show me a game where you're town and you participate actively in jokephase. BTW if you show me this I'll back off.

I'm not going to spend my Saturday night looking up games of yours, trying to find out if you were town, to find a jokephase you didn't participate in just so you can say "it was a different kind of game than this one because X was happening"

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

You didn't answer most of my post here. Please confirm what you are actually saying my meta is. Are you saying I DO participate in joke phase as scum? And I do NOT as town? Like I feel like you are trying to weasel out of your opinions by not stating anything clearly now that I've caught you in a contradiction. I don't normally associate this kind of arguing with you.

I am saying my recollection of you as town is that you do not participate in jokephase. I don't have any specific memories of you as scum participating or not participating in jokephase, but that doesn't change that I find the way you participated here to be different from how you usually do and I consider that odd and enough for an early D1 vote in a game with exceedingly little content.

I'm once again not going to scour games to find one in which you are town where you did not participate in jokephase but instead went straight into really playing because I know the argument against that is just going to be that "there was content in this game to go on, but there wasn't here." or you'll accuse me of cherry picking so I would have to find a lot of examples. I can't prove a negative wherein I show you NOT doing something, I'm just going based on my impression.

Again if you can show me an example of you, as town, shitposting it up with the rest of a shitposting thread, I will unvote. I'm willing to be wrong here, but I don't think I am.

I do agree though that I don't know that any of this will lead to a lynch for either of us but I am very interested in people giving opinions on this argument. It is actual content, time to weigh in shitposters.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I hate these auspol shitposters. I can never read any of them.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Alright, my desire to prove someone wrong on the internet was too strong.

A selection of some oldies and some newies:
DS9 mafia, which you ran -- I only posted jokey/non game related content(although one of my jokes was a breadcrumb) until the game came out of joke phase. I was town.
Dragonball Z mafia - Participated quite a bit in the early joke phase I was around for. I was town.
FU mafia, which you ran -- I slept through most of joke phase, but participated in jokes early on while not doing any true casing or the like(only voted for lurkers). I was town.
FF2 mafia -- I was joking right off the bat, but game had a very short joke phase. I was town.
Cat Lady mafia, which you ran -- I participated in the entirety of jokephase, got ended fairly early. Once it ended, I shifted into normal mode. I was town, and a good cat.

----

FWIW, The only pattern I can see in my own games is, if I'm around for joke phase, I participate in it. If I'm not, I don't. Example of the latter is Shine I. I missed the entire early game so by the time I started posting there was real content to examine. The only games I seem to get serious from the get go in/end joke phase early are the games where there is something serious to talk about due to the style of game it is. An example of this is League 3. There were the zones we could move to and vote on which gave me serious stuff to talk about right away.

I think you were stretching with some of those, but the DBZ one is straight up shitposting so I'm convinced. Withdrawn ##unvote

I am a little sad because now I have to pay attention to this garbage that Inf, stickup, JJ, and tobbs do in every game where they call each other scum based on zero casework whatsoever and it's impossible to follow.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Like is it just me? I find I can't follow what they are even arguing for or against 90% of the time.

Please someone who is calling someone else scum make a coherent case that involves actual content.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'll go with B then.

Let's gently caress this thing up!

(Suddenly a tonberry)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So for people who played this game before, how did claiming work? Should a few people claim if they've taken various jobs, so other people know what to expect? I feel like since scum have all information, then getting some of that out to the town can't hurt too much as long as not everyone does it.

I don't mind claiming what I took and what it gave me so other people can make more informed choices.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

scum post.

How?

Scum already know what the jobs do.

Yeah if everyone claims it'll be bad, but I don't see how a few people claiming does anything other than help others make informed decisions, especially since I don't think "check an FAQ" is going to be as useful as you think.

I picked Red Mage because Red Mages are typically really good early game and poo poo late game. My level 1 power is that it counts as both martial and magical, so when I pick a new job later the CP cost will be whatever is more favourable. This is a borderline useless power and completely opposite of what I thought it would be considering the role RMs have in FF games.

I would suggest other people if they haven't picked yet pick something else. Maybe it will be good on D3 when I get my Level 2 power, but I'm likely not going to wait that long.

I already asked CPig if we could change more than once per day because honestly I'd spend all my CP just going through as many jobs as I could and then announce the level 1 powers, but he said 1 per day.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
##vote ANarc

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

##vote asiina scum

Hey Kash you actually going to try this game?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

One thing I was confused about - if the Red Mage level 1 "power" is just having reduced cost to switch out of the job, how are you supposed to gain more proficiency in Red Maging except by constantly switching in and out of it at the slow rate of 1 change per day? But then I just answered my own question while I was trying to look up what CPig said:

Now what I'm still confused about is how CPig will deal with spells in his system. In the game, you didn't learn spells by levelling up in a job. The job just determined which spells you were allowed to use at the time. You learned spells by finding spellbook items or buying them from a shop, not from leveling up in a job. But there's no gold in this game apparently, just CP. So how do we learn the spells? Is it by leveling up in the jobs after all?

Like a Black Mage could use all black magic eventually, while a Red Mage could only use the more basic spells in both white and black magic. But according to Asiina, a Red Mage doesn't have the ability to do jack poo poo at level 1. (not even attack?) This sounds pretty drat weird. Unless all jobs start with jack poo poo and you need to level up a bit to do stuff with them, so we don't have pure role madness right out the gate.

Anyway, this exercise has got me thinking that Asiina has a bit of a point that revealing some mechanics could be helpful, so town can get a better understanding of how this poo poo works. But if we're locked in to only 1 change per day, and it's probably too late for most people now anyway, I don't see any point to it right now. It could at least wait till D2 so scum wouldn't have any idea of who's better to target tonight. Then tomorrow, just a few people who feel safe doing so could confirm some details in the morning, before people make their choices for D2 of whether they wanna switch jobs or not.

Also, anyone right about to be lynched could obviously just fullclaim whatever they know on the way out.

Right, I can't do anything which is partially why I think it's useful to claim. Like maybe the higher levels for Red Mage are better, but that really runs counter to what a Red Mage is.

Maybe because scum don't have a kill it's just going to be a bunch of night cycles of nothing until people level up, I'm not sure. I'm fine waiting until D2, since there's no harm in it you're not going to get NK'd, but I do think in general more information is better than less information.

I do agree with your last point though, that anyone who is about to be lynched should definitely claim whatever they know.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm proud of you, Gulag.

I also agree with it.

IS, was your vote on Moat a joke vote, cause it sure looks like a joke vote on someone who is currently the vote leader.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

IllegallySober posted:

You and I apparently have different taste in art. I see a whole lot of effort into typing up something that makes no sense at all.

If you or he or someone else wants to interpret it, then I'm happy to respond to it.

It's actually not that complicated a case. He quotes three posts

1) Your vote for B seems self-conscious. Nobody was ragging on you for not voting.

2) You agree with me about KB but then also think that KB joking doesn't make him scummy, so which is it?

3) Your vote on Moat appears to be a joke vote. Now that you've said it isn't, that feels like a really flimsy reason. I skimmed that walkthrough he linked too and came to the same conclusion. Why would he, as scum read the walkthrough enough to know that A was the best option for town, and then link that walkthrough which gives that information in the thread and go with option B? Like it's far more likely that he misread than he knowingly provided a way to show that he was wrong.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

This is beautiful. I can see what you mean here. But I myself was also weirded out by Moat's attempt to steer us wrong. It made me wonder if Pig gave the scum team the answer key this time. (He hasn't in previous games)

What do you think of my reasoning on why this doesn't really make sense?

Asiina posted:

3) Your vote on Moat appears to be a joke vote. Now that you've said it isn't, that feels like a really flimsy reason. I skimmed that walkthrough he linked too and came to the same conclusion. Why would he, as scum read the walkthrough enough to know that A was the best option for town, and then link that walkthrough which gives that information in the thread and go with option B? Like it's far more likely that he misread than he knowingly provided a way to show that he was wrong.

Like I can understand on the surface not choosing the right option could be scummy, but why point at something that is going to contradict you if you're intentionally misleading?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if anyone is going to take heat for being on the wrong option it should be me because I skimmed the walkthrough, missed the information, and also voted for B but you could make an argument that I was trying to start momentum for a worse option, but nobody is doing that so I find it hard to believe a vote on Moat for doing it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Moatillata posted:

I don't think ISs vote is a joke vote

It's misguided but honestly I deserve it for not really reading it all the way through

You really don't, because it makes no sense for scum to do that.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

IllegallySober posted:

Okay, this is easier to parse. Thanks.

1) The encounter vote only lasted three hours and I didn't see it until 40 minutes before the vote ended. I was simply saying I was glad I saw it in time to vote. I didn't want to miss the vote. That's pretty much it.

2) I'll quote what I said again:

My point, to restate, is that I could see where you were coming from but it wasn't the slam-dunk case you appeared to think it was. Seems like nobody else really thought it was, either.

3) So my vote, the first vote on the guy who's the current vote leader, that I cited a case (whatever you think of it) is a joke vote? Like, what? If he'd just linked the walk through as he did and then I pointed it out, fine, but he apparently read it enough to know who the boss was and then goes "nothing but enemies and a boss here!" in a separate post. THAT'S what I find scummy- not just the "mistake."

Fine on the first one, it's a pretty weak point as it is. The second and third don't really address the concerns which I guess were Gulag's concerns but I'm definitely on board with now.

You see where I'm coming from but then also don't seem to agree with it, saying that "I'm not sure a few joke votes on D1 makes him scum", which was the basis of my case. Like yeah it was a flimsy very early D1 case so I get not being convinced by it, but the point is you seem to be taking both sides. Other people didn't buy it either and I've totally backed off it since I was proved wrong so I'm not sure what anyone else has to do with your specific opinion.

The last point doesn't address the logical inconsistency at all of him realizing that town was choosing the right option, deciding to mislead town into choosing a different option, and then linking to the very information that proves him wrong.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Eh, I can see it going either way honestly. It also made me think Moat was scummier, so I can see why he thought so, if that's a real opinion. There are several reasons for why Moat would do it that way as scum, the first is what he already claimed, he didn't read through it enough to realize it contradicted his point. He could easily have found this as scum, if Pig gave them the answer key this time, and used it to try and drive the wrong choice and just not realized it didn't. To me that is the most logical possibility. But I suppose he could have also done it intentionally thinking no one would pay that much attention/read through that far. I find this less likely, because he's in a game with me, you, bifaux, etc who will chase things like that down, but you missed it, so it's hard to say.

This...what?

So he's scum who has the answer key (which we have no indication of and hasn't been true of previous games with this mechanic) plus he made a mistake?

This is the most logical possibility compared to he's town who made a mistake? Like one involves a whole lot more assumptions to be true than the other.

Again I can see on the surface why this is scummier, but actually think about it and it doesn't make sense.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I know I'm making sense here. This chain of events doesn't logically follow.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Except the name of the boss is in a big heading with larger font.

Here's a screenshot because I know people are lazy.

Skimming that, it's super easy to miss the line in the middle of the second paragraph about Sara joining you while still seeing the heading for the boss. I missed it when I skimmed to see if he was telling the truth.

And again, why link this walkthrough that proves you wrong. You keep dismissing it, but it's the big reason why this doesn't follow.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm not voting for Moat because I think he's town.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'd vote for IS, I'd vote for a lurker I suppose, but honestly peramene has a point that with no NK a no lynch isn't really that bad an idea.

##vote IS

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

IllegallySober posted:

Oh, I guess it's me. Well then. Why?

Cause I think you were trying to play both sides when KB and I were arguing, and because I think that if you're continuing to argue this Moat case even after considering that he provided his own way to be caught then that is bad and scummy.

I don't necessarily blame people who aren't thinking about it too hard and have since checked out since I pointed out it didn't make sense, but you've heard the argument on why it's not a logical case and are continuing to push it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

chaoslord posted:

So why is it impossible that scum moat skimmed it, saw a lead to a different answer, and posted it? You proved it was misable by skimming. I think it would be an easy thing to do of any alignment. It's a null imo.

Except if he's scum and skimmed it then he would have thought B was the "most correct" answer so why bring that as a possibility? Wouldn't that make him want it more to be A?

If he thought there were just enemies in the cave then A would have been the answer that gets us hurt for not attacking first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

You did see my reasoning as well right? Like the only reason you think it's illogical is because you seem sure scum didn't get the answers. You already think Moat made a mistake. He could have made that mistake as scum if they had the answers.

I don't want to fight hard for IS here, because I liked Gulag's first two points. But I do want to defend my own opinion which seems similar.

Except people have said scum didn't get the answers in the previous two games with this mechanic, so I'm going off precedent. Yeah, maybe you're right and they do this time, but I have no evidence at all that suggests that to be true so I'm not going to assume it in order to lynch someone.

Maybe you think they know the answers because you have access to the mod doc because you're a 3P who needs to make the game crash in order to win!

If I made that argument with nothing to back it up you'd say it's crazy and you'd be right. It's the same thing.

• Locked thread