Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
AnonymousNarcotics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
For the record, I'd like to drop the real talk sign down for a second, it would be demonstrably cruel of me to case anarc after the above reveal.

If someone who is not a manipulative shithead would please, thank you, BUT:

fwiw, my case was going to conclude regardless with "I sincerely doubt anarc rolls scum, sees a way to obtain a (TWO?) vig/s, and doesn't grab it D1 just to pop me N1 and have a little gotcha giggle between ourselves. tldr slight town read on grandi.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

King Burgundy posted:

The chaos thing doesn't make any sense to me.

pera, you claimed thief right? Is there anything about your role that lets you bypass things to steal?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by bypass and for a while there I thought maybe I got redirected (until IS confirmed - barring Super Weird poo poo) - there was at least one other thief among our number - but nah, the steal action is just a... straight tap, I think? Like the ability is called "Yoink!"

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BottleKnight posted:

gently caress it i'll play

"Will you tho?

BottleKnight posted:

I really liked Gulag's case though. My second pick for scum would be Asiina because she gut pinged me early with some awkward posts and then started posting A Whole Lot in a way I found forced.

Hmm. On IS? The really... weird one? ok

Asiina posted:

I'd vote for IS, I'd vote for a lurker I suppose, but honestly peramene has a point that with no NK a no lynch isn't really that bad an idea.

##vote IS

oh I guess I did make it. nice.

BottleKnight posted:

I'm a 3P Survivor. I had a chance to become light-aligned if I found Desch during the night, but Desch is dead. Just letting everyone know.

When I still had a chance to become good I didn't want to claim, but now that I have no chance, I figure it would be best to just come out and say it.

BK > NL just by default, as a 3P survivor he can co-win -- "finding Desch" would actually slap him into light-alignment, not necessarily the best call. Curiously, it is categorically not in his best interests to claim this. It is in his best interests to do whatever he can to make it to the end of the game. Why would he tell us this? He participates in the following encounter.

BottleKnight posted:

Option D
obviously

AT BEST submits a jokevote (which I wouldn't put past Mr. George Costanza over here, but he still voted for: "Understand that none of your choices matter and life is a pointless waste of time and succumb the the great beast that comes to devour your insignificant body." Which is fitting, because since I think he just left for PAX... like... best case is an inactive 3P worth keeping in-game? Does it serve a purpose I'm not aware of?

Where was he at deadling? Playing DnD with Me, AR, and CPig. Regardless, I present the preceding for your consideration.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

Ok. I just got confused about her wording because of course there had to be another thief because Mr F claimed to have been stolen from as well.

Indeed. Apologies for confusing you. At least one other thief, yes. But see, if I'd been redirected from IS to Mr. F, that was good intel to try to get. I was trying to get it.

Thanks to D&D I didn't get my night action in on time, but I didn't really know what it did either. Long story short I know what it does now plz no mafia dads.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

Lunar is the best game, I will bnot be voting gulag

Hm.

chaoslord posted:

People I would vote today:

*Bottleknight
*Tobbs

chaoslord posted:

Also I don't think a lightning rod worked because I am missing cp

...excuse me? How do you know? Did you not have enough CP to do what you were trying to do?

Hold the loving phone. Chaos, how much CP should you have versus how much you do have? That's an answer we're gonna be needing.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

IllegallySober posted:

My assumption is that he got a PM saying CP were stolen from him during the night, as I did when it happened to me.

that's not what he said though

chaoslord posted:

Also I don't think a lightning rod worked because I am missing cp

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

Someone is not reading the thread

eeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?????

Bif specifically tells you the situation to fix your language and then you adopt it?

Mithross got redirected to Mr. F. Or we had a third D1 thief. Mystery mostly solved.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
just for shiggles why'd you go thief, Mith?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

IllegallySober posted:

Has anyone claimed a job that provided a redirector at Level 1?

Not that I know of, but without access to a database of what every got dang job does who the gently caress knows. Maybe we had a third thief. Idk

##vote chaoslord

This kinda feeks lovely of me since I literally made the exact same sort of rules-mistake myself a smidge ago but this was a protracted campaign over the course of a pretty big while that got pretty confrontational and I'm willing to put my vote on it.

Scum should lurk like hell in this game and you kinda have been. You have just enough posts that you're involved. ScumCL comes out and tries to figure out what went wrong with the plan last night, feigns a rule mistake we've been over - Mr. "Someone's Not Reading the Thread" - and then waffles back and forth between... lies? Fake claims? At the very least you have a non-Freelancer starting role and ya oughta go ahead and fess up to that.

chaoslord posted:

Gonna call my shot with my vig, gonna shoot bottleknight probably. Pig mentioned other alignments in ff1 and ff2 op but none here. Know that isn't rock solid or anything so not confident enough to build a case but pera says he isn't probably going to be around much and at best an apathetic 3p at end of game sounds bad so just gonna take care of that

"I'm gonna shoot the one person pera suggested lynching as a last resort who isn't gonna be around and definitely isn't town without any idea what the consequences of allowing me to do that might be but might be, but at least he's an agreeable target to take pressure off of me."

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

this is a stickup posted:

what rule mistake did cl make?

chaoslord posted:

I failed all the actions.
I am "missing" my CP because I had to spend all of it to do my ability.
I was hoping to catch someone in a lie about succeeding an action or leveling up but apparently leveling up happens even on fails so that did not quite go as planned.
:ms:

But he still claimed to receive a PM from CPig saying:

Bifauxnen posted:

What do you mean "missing", like you got a message saying you lost some during N2?

his plan is objectively better than yours. what consequences are you even talking about? do you think lynching him would have different consequences or be better in any way? and in what way does this take pressure off of him except guaranteeing he doesn't guess wrong and hit town?

weird poo poo going on with say: redirections, protections, something to do with an ability BK could use slipping CPig a pm while otherwise lurking, any possible number of things. I have no loving idea what could happen during the next night phase except that I know there are unknown unknowns, to so confidently say "yeah, I'll shoot BK" screams otherwise to me. Just LOOK at the poo poo AR's claiming he has to put up with in his role, like there is absolutely no guarantee his shot is going to hit BK.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

you think that cpig sending him a pm telling him his cp went down is scummy? I got one when I switched jobs

That is a wild misrepresentation. Not down. Zero. And then he claimed to be missing. And then he said it was stolen from him. And then he tried one of the larger, most contentious intel gatherings we've seen yet while you yourself badgered him to just answer the loving question.

unless you have knowledge of bk's role, which it sure sounds like you do, do we have any reason at all to believe bk is a nexus? this is wild speculation.

You're god drat right it is, because as a town player in this particular game, paranoia is my only defense against CPig and Scum only knows what could possibly be out there.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
My argument doesn't even HINGE on BK being the one with a nexus, my argument hinges on the fact that CL says "I'll just shoot BK." which might work. Might get redirected to somebody else. Motherfucker might even shoot his goddamn self. With so little knowledge of what these jobs are even capable of - and so many more on the way, it is unreal that you would throw the sort of poo poo you're throwing at me, stickup.

tomorrow night I'm going to dare you to stay under 30 words a post and use no formatting or capital letters when playing mafia for the next 28 days

aww real talk? we would love to have you, even if you wanna do silly nonsense like this. the more the merrier.

(I'm also probably not gonna play much mafia in the next 28 days, I'm taking a break after C&L - I made an exception for this game 'cuz CPig and FF, I thought it would be different and holy poo poo is it ever.)

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

So I am starting to think it is a scum slip and maybe pera and mr f are scum together. Pera says "level after being RB" was something that was previously discussed but I don't think it was.

Aww here we go this is a good enough excuse to go looking.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
one post at a time sara, jeez

chaoslord posted:

Back to this real quick
did someone on D2 come in say they were roleblocked but still double leveled? I don't remember that but TBF I skimmed a lot of d2 from being on the road

I think it was actually earlier today? Ugggh I don't wanna go back looking. We did have the conversation tho. Accepting the premise that you were scumLord tho, it'd be a good play to try to make, right?

chaoslord posted:

Yes. That was sort of bending. My result PM did say I have 0 cp left, but that was a function of my ability costing All of my points.

Missing. Anybody fool enough to attempt to use an ability yesterday lost their ammo for their trouble (save, uh, AR? Do we even know yet? [Mafia Edit - Ah, I see you are claiming responsibility for the storm.]) I see very, very easily that you could get a PM like that after having cast something and not being able to afford it - I mean, can anyone comment on bottoming out and not being able to use their abilities due to bankruptcy?

King Burgundy posted:

Sorry, I've been using role/job interchangeably this game since I wasn't thinking about potential people like chaos with actual roles.

Not only same, but big loving deal?

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, fwiw, I read it the same way the first time. Only caught it on reread.

Also same, fwiw.

I'm sensing an awful lot of defense of chaos from stickup. Are we on the right track?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

is anyone else level 3 because I didn't receive a PM saying that

I guess cpig likes me best cause he proactively sent me a pm at like midnight telling me I was level 3

Mithross posted:

I had to ask CPig, and he confirmed it. If you class changed D1 and used your class ability N1, you're skill level 3 now.

and then somebody else at some point said something like it's using the ability, not successfully using the ability, which a handful of people said sure to? i think? but I can't find it and I'm tired

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
This is indeed Day 3 by the way but I never said otherwise. Just that we'd already been over it. I was in my therapist's office having a laugh with Kash I think when we had the chat.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

yeah, it's a big loving deal. they are fundamentally different, and one of the things you put out there was cl not coming forward about a non-freelancer job start.

you're also going after his choice of words right now. weird that you're brushing this off.

well, two against one, neener neener

none of these were roleblocks. I'm not sure if anyone had brought up roleblocks and leveling before.

this is entirely possible but it seems odd to me that you'd level if an action failed but not if you were specifically blocked? again we're back to information that just isn't possible to get

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't CL's .... thing... that made everybody who failed do something to stop them from leveling up?

Bifauxnen posted:

I don't know if we can or should presume BK is a nexus or some poo poo, but one thing I agree with peramene on is, I don't think it's a good idea to call out your vig shots if you actually want to see that person dead.

and I'm sorry CL I don't mean to - oh god, Mafia Mom - (be condescending) but this is like, holy poo poo, don't ever call your shots

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
"I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't CL's .... thing... that made everybody who failed do something to stop them from leveling up? " (if that were the case obviously)

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
realtalk if the accusation is pera+Mr. F I get that it wouldn't "clear me" at all what with the whole backstabbing allies in the past history but I would be totes down with swapping that vote, especially if KB and BIf slash whoever else wants to chime in thinks I'm being too hard on chaos (if so, sorry bro, still getting the hang of this poo poo and I thought I had you red loving handed, got over-excited maybe)

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I changed my mind. cl please kill pera, thanks!

I'm assuming it's possible to level up for the same reason, just clarifying

I would advise against this, but fwiw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq7SGQzeCEw

chaoslord posted:

I was hopeful that would be the case and that someone would come in with the level 3 role info for a role they shouldn't have

I get you. Like I so hear this. But man, if you're town, this seems a poo poo way to go about it and they'd be coordinating so effectively (assuming they aren't just all lurking, lmao)

Plenty of time 'til deadline and I've said quite enough. I'm not sure about Chaos but I'mma toss an olive branch anyway.

for now at least: ##unvote

chaoslord posted:

Mafia edit

loving mobile, right?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
well poo poo then chaos and sticks what do you think of

Mr. F!

(it just doesn't feel right unless you do it)

Just for laughs: a found poem

chaoslord posted:

TBF... you
might be over zealous
on me
and you
got a little sloppy

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
oh wow truth or dare is gonna gently caress this game up something aw--- heh

yeah we better have our votes locked in

hey cpig how about an extra twelve on that deadline

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Also I don't really have much else to say tbqh. Pera/BK/KB/MF in that order namaste

I forgot to case Kashuno! I'll try to get to it but man, except for one thing you said you've really struck me as town this game and at least to my memory nobody's really truly seriously gone after your balls this game. Seems like a waste of time. I guess I oughta though.

Beginning of the sentence... hmm...

I picked thief at first because I main a rogue in wow and also figured it would be a rarer choice. I stole from IS (my D1 scumpick) because I had this grand thought that I might be able to prevent a kill or be helpful by slapping away the CP because I fundamentally misunderstood how actions and CP and jobs worked.

:sigh:

Case me, Kash! Let's have fun with it. Surely either rounding up your votes on me or ultimately deciding I'm town is a worthwhile endeavor.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

jon joe posted:

probably because I am amazing and beautiful

Regrettably since this is totally Popcon 2 jonjoe and I join in "suspicious, but" reads on him, like, the above is emphatically true.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'm content to lock B in.

I thought Kash and I were gonna go a round and have fun with it but whatever, I'm pretty sure he's town anyway.

I've done my best here so far and it's just giving fuel to a fire I obviously don't want to build so with that in mind:

jon joe posted:

I am physically incapable of reading peramene's posts

Bif, if you're scum, you've played a hell of a game. ##vote jon joe.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
That was a compliment intended for Bif. I don't think jon joe is playing well assuming either alignment's best interests to the best of my knowledge. Neither is BK, but duh. He's not here in the first and he's waiting to see if he lives long enough to pick a side, a decision he now largely has no control over.

Mith and I apparently went thief D1 for similar reasons and while it wasn't my thought at the time, I agree that it seems to be an odd scum choice. But does it necessarily mean town? No.

But it does mean one of these situations is true:
a) I knew that IS had had CP stolen from him because I did it myself because I thought he might be scum and could maybe be a hero by taking 5 critical CP from scum (sorry buddy).
b) I knew that IS had had CP stolen from him because I'm in a scumdoc with the thief what took it from him.
c) I am in a scumdoc with IS, and we are both lying.
d) I am scum, lying, and got lucky as gently caress. (Hardly worth including, scumSara would never take a risk like this.)

So I'm not willing to support the notion that claiming responsibility for stolen CP is conclusive proof of a D1 thief pick nor is it an especially not-scummy choice, especially because scum have full knowledge of the job's abilities and town doesn't, but town is generating CP faster. Not by much, but a thief could supplement earlygame CP by 5 a night and take 5 from a target they know is at least not scum. One other consideration: if scum needs exactly X CP to pull off their ability for the night, and that's exactly what they have, their ability would fail if a thief stole from them that night - assuming night actions happen simultaneously, Diplomacy style. Otherwise, that's just another assumption I've made and fine whatever ignore me.

Switching my thought process to BMs, I feel the obvious D1 scum choice with what we know now was BM. They know they get those kills, especially if it doesn't cost CP after all to use abilities in your current job. If it's one-shot, the obvious scum thing to do in retrospect is grab four BMs and blow the poo poo out of the best town players, becoming 3rd level BMs and gaining access to a second vig? that remains usable, if a smidge more expensive late?. Moat says monks can redirect n1 attacks against themselves. If I were scum and had prior knowledge of this, I would be wary of it, but the best night to shotgun town for kills and/or info is night 1. Scum profits from identifying what job an individual is in. There's tons of reasons to just go day1 BM blast. Maybe there's something even smarter to do and it was only three of them blasting and then Kash being Kash. I dunno. AT LEAST two of those BMs were scum. Right?

So if I'm thinking Kash is just being Kash; I end up suspicious of stickup coming out second. As a scum BM, I would want to do exactly what he did, in theory. Wait for somebody else to claim, then tell the truth: that I, too, killed a townie I was suspicious of. Then I would wait for somebody to question me, and I would tell town what else I can do now - which actually doesn't give away any additional information on d2 and only on d2, because we could all do tons of stuff during d2. So article A&B. Later, because of the way he was going sooo hard on chaos, it actually inspired me to investigate chaos and then he turned right to me, immediately. To reiterate: stickup pushing chaos so hard alongside chaos' refusal to just answer the loving question is what inspired me in the first place to focus so hard on chaos' CP. I legitimately thought we had him dead to rights. I was wrong. A lot of us were wrong about rule things today. Hopefully we cool now. Article C. But then stickup tells chaos to kill me at night instead, y'know, jokingly. But after I had just loving pointed out that as scum well knows, these jobs have abilities that gently caress poo poo up. If chaos shoots BK, scum are mildly inconvenienced but knowing BK, he'd probably try to help town win anyway, wouldn't he? If chaos shoots BK but somebody somehow protects him or is a lightning rod or whatever, scum are happy and/or fine with that whether or not it's actually BK or another townie that dies. If chaos shoots me, even if you accept the premise for a moment that I am scum but something, anything anybody could do to save me and end up killing a townie - my scumbuddies and I would want exactly that, right? And we would/could have the knowledge of how to do it. We deflect the kill away from me at least - could potentially redirect that shot to a real night target instead, or at best, a random target. Article loving D. To deny that this is a possibility in the slightest is scummy as poo poo. To call it "wild speculation" to discredit it is scummy as poo poo. To actively discourage paranoia based on unknown unknowns while scum is the team in possession of known unknowns, holy loving poo poo, stickup. You either fundamentally misunderstand concrete core game mechanics to a ridiculous degree, or you are scum. Town-Kashuno, if you're out there and still just want to kill me, read the above loving paragraph at least, for goodness' sake.

The above is exactly what I would do in scum's position. Confuse, misdirect, discredit - even potentially go as far as to claim jobs you've worked out town definitely hasn't chosen and might not switch to; claim they have lovely or weird abilities - kinda side-glancing at you, AR - and do anything we could with our biggest asset to slaughter town as quickly as possible.

Here's my list: stickup > jon joe > BK

BK as stated as a last resort so he doesn't aid scum for the mutual win and IDK buys town a day, if that, maybe? BK is a potentially a scum asset, might stick to town because he's a Good Guy At Heart but honestly why? Is this possible? Maybe, if we were doing better. But he could lazily give scum the numbers needed to beat town and avoid getting killed for it easily. Or he lied.

Leaving my vote on JJ for now because I think more people agree about JJ, but if JJ flips scum, hey, maybe come back to this post and read that big paragraph up there again.

less "content-oriented" usual "frustrating" pera content in a loving spoiler tag, how about that?

I worked really hard on casing chaos in an admittedly flawed but hardcore investigation because god drat if somebody's CP balance bottomed out (esp, say, due to the actions of a thief??) and that gave them away wouldn't that just be PotG material?? And for what it's worth, I could do a way better "lost townie shtick," are you kidding? I've misunderstood some pretty big rules but I would've "not taken a job D1," I would've fabricated the exact "lucky" job path to be "most helpful to town" all the while insisting and asking what I should do with the powers I have, I would be constantly claiming my role over and over and making sure town understood I was a white mage or something and I would be dancing on all of your loving graves by now because my scum game is unbeatable but nobody ever lets me loving do it!!!! Town is boring as gently caress because all you do is get in slapfights or catch people who are poo poo liars being poo poo at lying which is boring. I expected this game to be wildly different than it's turning out to be - no offense, honored CPig. I am really looking forward to getting to read the scumdoc, which is pointless to say and fine Kash, here, a spoiler tag. "No actual content" after I worked my rear end off (pointlessly) on chaos, my goodness. If/when I flip town, IS is almost certainly town. I tried my hardest to wait for the second thief - Mith, perhaps - to come out about having stolen from Mr. F. The thought of it being redirected didn't occur to me until after I had specifically asked IS to confirm that he had had CP stolen from him, so in retrospect it was dangerous. If IS is scum, he has almost no incentive to back me up: if he didn't actually get the PM and he says yes but I'm lying, he can claim it must've been somebody else and not look that suspicious. He didn't breadcrumb that possibility like I would've as scum in his situation. I believe that he, like me, had less knowledge of the insanity of the mechanics at play with these jobs and as a result, confirmed it confidently. Go look at the post. Even if I were lying, he only has an incentive to confirm this for me if he is town, right? Look at anybody who tries to argue with what I say in the paragraph accusing stickup. Lies and misdirection might sometimes be useful for town, but the truth is always useful for town. Me going "I stole from IS" and IS confirming almost certainly means we are either both town or both scum -- but it doesn't work as strongly in the reverse if IS flips town, for reasons that are above: I could still hypothetically have known he got stolen from and am not as confidently clearly town, and that's just a fact I lay at your feet in earnestness, as is all of the above. I'm being especially verbose to attempt to secure that as best I can, apologies. I suspect might actually read this wall - if not now, then perhaps later - and scum will skip it because I am frustrating and a manipulative shithead besides, right? It's already a pretty loving long post. I hope it helps. I've been as honest as I'm capable of being and I've worked as hard as I can on this and for goodness' sake, I'm loving heading off to get ready for Truth or Dare now, though I will do my best to be back before the actual deadline to secure a lynch on one of the above or a well-argued case -- I did it once this game, but I will no longer be supporting this "omg never no lynch" mentality. I don't know why I was expecting a lighter, happier atmosphere - y'know, a slower burn - from a CPig game. I should've known what I was in for.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Grandicap posted:

Noone is making you do anything jj. But the thought process is well laid out and follows internally. Would not vote pera today.

By the way gcap, we have to bold our votes for the events. CPig might do his best to count you otherwise but he might also honestly miss your vote / think you were joking.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Grandicap posted:

Noone is making you do anything jj. But the thought process is well laid out and follows internally. Would not vote pera today.

Oh poo poo, I was so focused on helping you with the bolding and then figuring out what in the world stickup's phone had done to him that I missed the praise. I'm still new to this poo poo (like I didn't even know what OMGUS meant until stickup just used it again and I finally remembered to realquick look it up on the wiki - thank you stickup btw) and it means a lot to me personally to at least have the thought process receive the above praise from you.

jon joe posted:

what the gently caress are you really going to make me read all that poo poo

Nah, skip it.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

an important term! :eng101:

Growing up / back in the day I had totally different acronyms and sayings for everything. Re-learning poo poo is weird. This is what like... my 7th attempted game? I don't even know. I hear these terms and I see them as important but I tried to grok them from context until eventually loving BK pointed out the wiki to me; y'know which I promptly forgot about for 2-3 games. My above thanks are earnest and not a game-thing. Nobody should believe that obviously - always assume everyone else is a mastermind and every post matters, right? But I hope at least you do, personally, between us.

Speaking of games, as it is 10 minutes until T&D, farewell and goodnight until -- oh. The deadline is tomorrow, not tonight! Delightful. Regardless, good evening friends and foes alike.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
okay what the gently caress is with the puzzle

(see you tomorrow)

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
C, very nervously.

CapitalistPig posted:

I have just realized I have been failing to charge anyone CP for their skill level when they change jobs.
Whoops.
I just edited that rule out of the op.
Carry on.

Polite request that you doublecheck your maths throughout because I think maybe you remembered to bill me when I remembered? Of course, I am but a useless unemployed historian, goodness knows I can't do math. But if I suspect a mistake, even if there isn't one with me, perhaps there is a mistake with others. Second - this is a pretty substantial rulechange that... adds more advantage to scum, right? Some kind of town... buff?? To equalize? idk. Run your game how you'd like, beloved and high holy CPig.

jon joe posted:

And yet I never said pera is scum. Mithross is doing his own odd fallacy here, wherein he quotes an entirely null post in a case on me because he's scum digging for whatever he can find.

The first sentence here is true. Jon Joe said I was difficult to read, Bif said I was frustrating, I think Kash had an adhom too. On this point at least, Jon Joe is right, and I would like to ask Mithross to respond, not that it's enough to move my vote (tho this is a solid play JJ drat -- especially if both of you are scum) because it occurs to me that realizing the second thief never claimed and then claiming it (knowing they were dead now especially?) would be a great way to get me to empathize with you which is exactly what I did. I know that trick. Not necessarily convinced that's what you did, but let's talk about it because this is definitely at the very least an in for JJ to get at your credibility (or pretend to).

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bifauxnen posted:

It was simple:

* Suspect all along that the puzzles might have something to do with the "secret job" which has gotta be Onion Knight
* Look at those nice big puzzle pieces and compare against Onion Knight in the FF3 job artwork CPig's already been using, and see that it doesn't match
* Wonder for a second if it's a clue about what jobs the scum took instead, and check against all the other job artwork in that set just to be sure, starting with Black Mage
* Realize it still doesn't match cause nothing in that art set has that kind of Amano bead thing going on around the hand, but it looks like it should be some very similar character artwork
* Use photoshop to move a couple of the orange chunks together and get a better look at that distinctive sash bit
* Try looking up FF3 concept art in general, get mostly Amano stuff
* Look up Cloud of Darkness in particular cause I was thinking again about how the D choices are getting way more ominous, maybe the puzzle is actually about that
* See that Cloud of Darkness does not resemble any bits of this puzzle in any way shape or form, in any of the versions, but waaaait, one of these at least has a more similar style, the Dissidia one
* Google "FF3 Dissidia" now that I remember Dissidia is a thing that exists
* First image result :buddy:

Thank you so much for showing your work, this is really fantastic. Fantastic use of your knowledge of the franchise and possibilities for relevance to the game.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mithross posted:

I never said he was using it to call you scum, just that it was a useless adhom attack, in the middle of a weak post history.

As for the second thief thing, the only death we've had since n1 was Moat, who claimed monk d1. And the n1 deaths had their current job, which also would have been their only job.

Solid - I actually had a (Moat??) in my first draft, then removed it, wondering if you'd point it out. Thanks Mith.

The first two sentences are also obviously true, but "useless adhom attacks" are just... I mean, how should I phrase this...

"Welcome to SA Mafia. Hope you like miasma! adhom attacks!"

Even if it is a filthy militarist ploy to demean the rightful authority of the people :helladid:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Revolver posted:

Kashuno posted:

What's jerkcity

good answer

u scum?

Joke post.

Event 1 Response, first person to decisively vote after Bif recommends A. Nobody really talks about the vote and just votes their conscious or their conscious' bandwagon.

Absurd Revolver posted:

once again the impulsive quick vote is the right choice

also KB you have made yourself out to be the self-serious mafia overlord lately so that might be why?

Rationale for the above Event 1 vote and then jokephase content wrt KB from day 1 most of which went right over my head; I leave interpretation of jokephase content to the rest of you.

Absurd Revolver posted:

I have no idea who to vote for after reading all 12 pages of this day 1

Absurd Revolver posted:

to be fair, once again i'm dealing with the consequences of living in florida and we have another massive storm(this time, maybe tornados) bearing down on us

"A rare "high risk" severe weather outlook was issued on the morning of Jan. 22 by NOAA's Storm Prediction Center (SPC). This was the first high risk severe weather outlook to be issued by SPC since June 3, 2014, which gives an idea of how unusual they are, though the number of severe reports and tornadoes on Jan. 22 were less than expected." (https://weather.com/storms/tornado/news/severe-weather-forecast-south-high-risk-tornadoes-january-2017) - this checks the gently caress out tho for real

Absurd Revolver posted:

lot to unpack here

probably put together a solid effort case in the morning, but i for one did not pick up a job on day 1

also lol i can't believe i survived that massacre

"Didn't pick a job day 1" claim followed by a noncommittal promise of a solid effort case which never materializes.

Absurd Revolver posted:

i didn't pick one because i wanted to wait for a better job before spending CP, isn't that how the system works?

Technically speaking, this isn't as big a misunderstanding of the rules as I originally believed. When we take jobs day 1 and then use our abilities, we become level 3, which adds 3 CP to the cost of changing jobs per the original rules of the game at the time of this post. (This rule has since been discarded.) Think about how limited your CP pool has made you so far, town players: I've always had more than enough. AR had no way of knowing this was going to be the case, town or scum, and the fact that - presuming honesty - he's thinking outside the box hoping for more CP and taking a risk, this is exactly AR as I have known him. I want to suggest that consciously pooling remains scum behavior, but that may not have been as apparent.

Event 3 response - Like myself, AR missed event 2 entirely. His is the second vote for option A, following IS.

Absurd Revolver posted:

(8:38 PM) sorry i basically dropped out from posting, lots of stuff happened at once over the last couple of days and we're also in the middle of moving

After wildly misunderstanding how the CP and job system even works, I surprise everyone with a sincere effort case on my good friend AR. I point out to town that IS didn't bitch about me stealing from him (though Mr. F surely did - so that's inconclusive) but I may have just beaten him to the punch. AR responds:

Absurd Revolver posted:

(9:02 PM) i actually did take a job, just now

Absurd Revolver posted:

(10:45 PM) also i'm a geomancer

It has become apparent that town players should do what they can not to claim their current job. That is how scum knows what to anticipate. However, intel on what the job abilities do is highly valuable to town. The valuable information is the abilities, not which job. Here, AR gives town and scum players the exact wrong information from town's perspective. Only after receiving a vote from Bif does he remember to give town the information we actually want:

Absurd Revolver posted:

(11:27 PM) oh right

so i got to pick three terrain types which equal different abilities

every night i have 1/2 a chance to jail my target, 1/4 of a chance to turn them into a lightning rod, and 1/4 of a chance to jail/lightning rod myself

Absurd Revolver posted:

(11:29 PM) i chose Underwater(Jail), Cave(Jail), and Sky(Lightning Rod) in case anyone else wants to go for this class

I'm not certain it matters much, but there's a small discrepancy here - AR informs us of the Geomancer's level 1 abilities as a result of his terrain choices, and even offers this helpful clarification. Geomancer looks like an RNG-heavy nightmare. The sort of class that fits AR imo. Underwater and Cave together buff his initial chance to successfully jail his target; Sky gives him a 1/4 chance to make them into a lightning rod; and he begins with a backfire option: one of his abilities used on himself. Geomancer.

Absurd Revolver posted:

(12:06PM) my scumpinion for today is this is a stickup, just based on how people have voted/unvoted on them

i always get suspicious of people who have so many votes that ended up being non-commital

otherwise, i need more time to come up with a real and juicy read because life is a chaotic pit filled with more chaotic pits the farther you fall

AR glances at votefinder, comes up with a totally valid though perhaps unsound player to target. The first individual named in one of AR's game posts, and last night, stickup flipped town.

Absurd Revolver posted:

yeah i'm not gonna be around for deadline

##vote moat

this isn't the best vote but a no-lynch after what happened n1 is scary

He then totes voats Mote because there's a bandwagon forming, and like I've been saying since day 1.

Absurd Revolver posted:

Bifauxnen posted:

##vote Moat

goodnight sweet prince

(unless we nl again of course)

(and you also survive the black mage apocalypse)

(12:13AM Thurs) i'm planning to use my action on myself either i get jailed or i absorb every kill at once and am a hero

AR presents his plan to survive the expected n2 Black Mage Apocalypse or die in a blaze of glory. (Tangent: could he have known Chaos was using his ability that night? The two operating together would be particularly gruesome in this combination. AR makes this post as a "townie" breadcrumb, Chaos makes all abilities fail.)

Absurd Revolver posted:

(10:30 PMmy action sadly failed

now I have two more shots, with bus drive, roleblock, and poison vig added to my roulette

so 2/7 Jail, 1/7 lightning rod, roleblock, poison vig, bus drive, and that last 1/7 is a backfire of any of them

this is a weird role

Absurd Revolver posted:

(10:32 PM) Btw it was river for bus drive, plains for roleblock, and swamp for poison vig

Continues to share the information he's obligated to share, but doesn't Geomancer look like a hosed up, ridiculous class?

AR votes for the clear winner well after it is. (Grandicap jokevotes)

Absurd Revolver posted:

was busy all day without Internet except in spurts and I was more busy arguing with people about things and lifting poo poo

but f has somehow lurked more than I have and that can't be tolerated

##vote Mr f

Yes. That can't be tolerated, can it? AR hammers Mr. F.

Absurd Revolver posted:

my new actions include another bus drive, another roleblock, an assassin vig, and a juggernaut vig

Absurd Revolver posted:

it is basically a role full of random scum actions

all of which can hit me instead at random

and yet I love it

Ladies, gentlemen, and goons: AR is scum. The above represents his entire posting history in the thread. I slightly suspect the "backfire on yourself" element of his Geomancer claim is either fake - or failing that, an exhilarating rush to AR, regardless of alignment. Regardless, it is worth pointing out that this chance has decreased as he's gained in levels: something he would be fully aware of if he had access to that information. His job is full of what, by his own admission, are "scum actions," and absolutely, AR, I know you love it.

I suspect you may even have been clever enough to know not to even bother wasting the CP on the original jobs, even if you could get an extra kill, because god drat it, you know these people. You know somebody like stickup is gonna roll BM just because, and you knew what was going to happen when they did. And you loved it. You also know that that extra 5 CP in exchange for a tiny bluff could be the difference between winning and losing for using these Geomancer abilities after you switch jobs.

Night 3 - stickup dies and only stickup dies. AR claims to have targeted me and for it to have been successful. My guess? Stickup became a lightning rod, and died in a blaze of glory as almost all of the abilities used last night targeted him. Would anyone care to attempt to disprove this? AR does have other abilities that would've killed stickup. But he took aim at me knowing what was going to happen. Either I wasn't going to do it, or I was.

AR knows exactly what I did last night. Don't you, buddy? Pretty nice trick. And you know me well enough to know that I definitely used that 1-shot Nexus N2. You knew I was lying about only being level 4. Or you missed the statement entirely. Can't wait to read whatever does actually exist in the scumdoc.

Thief abilities are as follows, and require a certain amount of subterfuge to be used effectively: 1) Steal 5 CP from anyone. 3) 1-shot Nexus. 5) "Ultimate Thief" - a one-shot chance to hide behind somebody and they'll take any actions directed at you. You knew I was wrong about stickup and was gonna dive on him last night. So you targeted me and your action was successful. You sacrificed Mr. F, and then you used your advance knowledge of role abilities to take an honest stab at me or, if you were really right, me and, I assume, nobody else on the scum team bothered using a limited-use ability last night.

Town: If I am right about AR, I believe that if any claiming is to be done, the entire history of a person's night actions must accompany that claim. N2 claims are largely worthless - save for Chaos. I believe with all of that information.

##vote Absurd Revolver, beloved friend, brilliant adversary, incredible liar, and at the very least, a lurker.

And if this is right, bless you CPig, for goddamn once I got to be town and yet still lie my rear end off to secure victory.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
mafia edits; couple sentences lost their endings as I went through multiple drafts:

"...may not have been as apparent." --> "as apparent at that time."

"...and like I've been saying since day 1." --> "since day 1, town should not take the odds on obeying the Never No Lynch.

"I believe with all of that information." --> "information, the game may become solvable by town. But I don't believe it's there yet."

I might've missed a few others. Point 'em out to me and I'll correct myself. Sorry - kinda going senile on these pills; spent all my "morning energy" on this grand case because the second stickup died I loving knew my gambit had worked.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be around off and on throughout the day because beating my buddy at our own favorite game like this would be incredible.

fake edit: LMFAO IS NICE but please lowercase my p in the future thank you. Sorry you blew your ult the same turn I did.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
If the three of us are all really town and this is where the game turns in town's favor, I'd just like to point out that the Thieves' Guild collectively pulled off this amazing operation with no ability to coordinate whatsoever.

I'd say, "Feel free to take your CP back if you've nothing better to do with your turn, IS." But that won't work like that anymore once you change jobs. drat. WELL at least I'm walking away with the satisfaction of having stolen from scum D1 by proxy. Just wasn't right of me to take a fellow guildie's take. Won't happen again.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bifauxnen posted:

You claim to be a thief who stole from IS. IS backs up the loss of CP.
IS claims to be a thief who stole from Mr F. Mr F (scum) backs up the loss of CP.
Mithross claims to be a thief who stole from BK. BK keeps lurking and doing his possible 3P thing and never bothers confirming.

I was thinking earlier that if you were scum after all, peramene, IS would probably be your scumbro cause he could back up your fakeclaim of having been a thief and using that action N1, instead of vigging people with black magic. And now that Mr. F has flipped, it would make a whole nice drat chain of scum stealing from scum stealing from scum.

Not exactly a smoking gun but it means you two are in my "looks scummy all right" category.

This is a fair argument, but I want to clarify the timeline of - ahem - Guild activities.

D2 - Jan 24, 2017 3:22 PM Mr. F demanded to know who stole his CP. Mr. F is scum. - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806659&userid=219245#post468705864

D2 - Jan 25, 2017 5:47 PM: Having given other thieves sufficient opportunity to claim responsibility, I take the risk and claim not only that I am a thief, but that I attempted to steal from IS, not Mr. F. I believed thief would be a rare choice and that I could confirm redirects/abilities. - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806659&userid=216296#post468745998

D2 - Jan 25, 2017 6:19 PM: I explicitly invite town to consider that "Either IS and I are both scum, [or nonsense as I thought-out-loud, IS confirming the lost CP does nothing but confirm the theft or our cooperation.]

D3 - Jan 26, 2017 6:40 PM: Mith says he's a thief just to be helpful and answer a question asked of me. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806659&userid=175574#post468782315

D3 - Jan 28, 2017 11:59 AM: In-thread talk between Mith and I follows that you can take or leave as real or scummy but somewhere in all of this talk I counter my own suggestion that Mith's theft being redirected to BK with the possibility of a "third thief." ...which now that I type it like that, doesn't exactly look all that good with the timing of IS' claim, does it? Hm. Well, the truth always serves the town. I entertained the idea of there being a third thief. [Forums won't let me link specific posts anymore for some reason??]

D4 - Jan 30, 2017 11:32 AM: Just shortly before this post, IS FINALLY comes forward as the third thief and claims to have blown his ult standing behind me, while I stood behind Stickup.

It is possible with this evidence that IS and I are both scum, as has been the case from the moment he confirmed that I stole from him. Particularly suspicious because I foretold the existence of a third thief, et voila, here he is. However, unless I'm mistaken, for this to be true: both IS and I need to be scum. Not necessarily Mithross. Even if BK comes along (which he should today, incidentally, in just a few hours) and confirms Mith's theft, BK could very well be on our scum team too or as a Survivor devoted to the scum cause and now know to back Mithross up. I invite you to explore the order of operations and ask yourself if we are capable of it.

Looking at this in front of me, I can see the argument. I'm not sure if this is what anarc meant when she referred to a "setup spec" earlier? It sounds complicated but it is feasible. If you need to test it, lynch me instead of IS. I don't believe there is a justification to confirm my claim like he did, and when I flip town, he is at least a superior player. Assuming he survives the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

King Burgundy posted:

She said she hid behind Stick, so your action would have hit Stick if she's telling the truth.

I received only my PM that I had successfully hidden behind Stick. I have no PM indicating that you targeted me, no PM indicating that standing behind Stick did anything to him, no PM indicating that fellow thief IS had stood behind me. Indeed, in the event that I am wrong about him - IS claiming he blew his ult the same turn I did ON me is highly coincidental and an odd choice since there was no reason to believe I would be targeted but no reason to believe, at least based on my read, that he would be. I did everything I could to make sure I drew Chaos' shot and anything stickup could possibly throw at me because I could redirect them flawlessly.

I am a bit surprised at the mechanic but just for shiggles, if anybody would like to cop to target IS personally last night, it'd be fun to know if two Ultimate Thieves would chain.

inb4 Chaos shows up a little bit later today and says, "Oh, I just shot stick for telling me what to do with my own drat vig."

• Locked thread