Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Narwhal
Dec 4, 2002
This is the first time anything about the 49ers has made me happy in a while. Poor Tomsula.

Can someone explain how John Lynch happened? I actually really liked him as a player but... that's all he's got going for him as far as I know. I thought they had gone through a few rounds of interviews and had narrowed the search down to two guys but then boom they signed John Lynch for 6 years. I felt a glimmer of hope when they fired Chip but now I'm depressed all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Captain Narwhal posted:

This is the first time anything about the 49ers has made me happy in a while. Poor Tomsula.

Can someone explain how John Lynch happened? I actually really liked him as a player but... that's all he's got going for him as far as I know. I thought they had gone through a few rounds of interviews and had narrowed the search down to two guys but then boom they signed John Lynch for 6 years. I felt a glimmer of hope when they fired Chip but now I'm depressed all over again.

Jed! seemed to think the most important thing was a happy coach/GM relationship. Lynch was apparently Shanahan's choice, and I guess they're old buddies. He's surrounding himself with guys who know what they're doing (Adam Peters of the Broncos was his first hire), thankfully, so it shouldn't be an absolute disaster .

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Xpostin from N/V thread.

Guess who just got a promotion?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Bad Moon posted:

Xpostin from N/V thread.

Guess who just got a promotion?

Tony Romo?

Captain Narwhal
Dec 4, 2002

Coldforge posted:

Jed! seemed to think the most important thing was a happy coach/GM relationship. Lynch was apparently Shanahan's choice, and I guess they're old buddies. He's surrounding himself with guys who know what they're doing (Adam Peters of the Broncos was his first hire), thankfully, so it shouldn't be an absolute disaster .

That makes more sense, I hadn't heard they were pals. I am feeling a little better about it because it looks like they intend to surround him with more experienced people. Also it seems like the split of duties between Lynch, Shanahan, and whoever else isn't totally clear.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Captain Narwhal posted:

That makes more sense, I hadn't heard they were pals. I am feeling a little better about it because it looks like they intend to surround him with more experienced people. Also it seems like the split of duties between Lynch, Shanahan, and whoever else isn't totally clear.

It definitely is not yet, and won't be until at least after the super bowl (because Shanahan can't be hired or even agree to a deal until then, officially). The waiting and uncertainty sure does make the situation seem worse.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Carson Palmer does retire, then what do the Cards do at QB? Do they make a run at Romo, or draft some game-manager type who's only asked to hand the ball off/throw screens to David Johnson?

Arizona's kind of in a weird spot right now. On paper the roster looks ready to win now, but they're getting old in some key spots, and if Fitz follows Palmer out the door you have a bare cupboard at WR, with John Brown regressing and Michael Floyd DUI'ing his way out of town. Honey Badger is a game-changing talent, but he hasn't looked the same coming off a second ACL tear, and the Cards need him on top form to make that defense work.

A lot of people (myself included) pegged them as title contenders before the season, but they suddenly have more questions than answers right now.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 1, 2017

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Spoeank posted:

Tony Romo?

Jay Cutler

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Cutler would actually be an interesting fit in Bruce Arians' "gently caress it go deep" scheme, but he takes too many dumb risks and Arians is an old-school grouch about turnovers, so I doubt he'd be interested.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

matheiu had some kind of shoulder injury just when they said he was going to move back to slot corner and they shelved him instead of playing for a worse draft pick, plus he had a bad year after his first acl tear.

they don't really have an answer if fitz retires but they have some promising TEs that went on IR early in the season, and all the other WRs look legit and have progressed except for john brown who had his sickle cell thing pop up.

a big part of david johnson's game is catching passes so i'm not sure how great stanton would be feeding him.

i'd be fine with cutler but i'm not sure what it would cost to get him, and he's getting up there in age too. it's getting a little tiresome to get a qb, have an adjusting year, then make the playoffs once and have to reset. i don't think they can fit romo in the cap unless they let both calais and jones walk which they've said they aren't going to do

the draft, and the guys we drafted this year that sorta red-shirted, are going to be really important. i think nkemdiche played one game, brandon williams is incredibly raw but also got a lot of playing experience, etc.

drafting a qb has been on everyone's mind since pre-warner. arians has said he likes dysert but he's also 26 and has only ever been on practice squads and preseason rosters. my dumb rear end wants to swing big and get mahomes. we'll see, i guess. arians is another one of those coaches who bitches about QBs in college not taking snaps under center so we'll probably get "the next roethlisburger" from some small school.

i think the biggest part, that we can't really keep throwing money at, is how poor the o line has been. mathis retired so we'll finally see a full season of humphries or whatever other young gun wants to grab the right tackle position.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Benne posted:

Cutler would actually be an interesting fit in Bruce Arians' "gently caress it go deep" scheme, but he takes too many dumb risks and Arians is an old-school grouch about turnovers, so I doubt he'd be interested.

another thing about this, people bitched about palmer's interceptions in oakland. he still throws some head scratchers, and i don't really know how bad he was in oakland, but he's a good qb here. maybe Jay just needs some tough love from BA and carson's crazy camera and VR setup

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Cutler doesn't strike me as the type to respond well to "tough love". Think McDaniels tried that in Denver and all Cutler wanted to do was get out of Dodge.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Cutler with the Niners? Shanahan the Elder adored him in Denver so he might give his son* the good word.

*if he's hired as head coach

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

shirts and skins posted:

Cutler doesn't strike me as the type to respond well to "tough love". Think McDaniels tried that in Denver and all Cutler wanted to do was get out of Dodge.

McDaniels ran him outta town because he wanted Cassell

But yeah Cutler strikes me as mentally weak

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Tony Romo to Arizona would continue a trend.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/CardsMarkD/status/826821517719773184

well that's that. enjoy skydiving in the himalayas with larry, i guess

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I wanted Jay Cutler :mad:

SF you know what you need to do.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

hifi posted:

https://twitter.com/CardsMarkD/status/826821517719773184

well that's that. enjoy skydiving in the himalayas with larry, i guess

There's no blue checkmark next to this guy :tinfoil:

But yeah, even if Palmer is staying, dude is old and you have to consider how good he is, and that one bad hit forces you to start Stanton for a bit.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Bad Moon posted:

I wanted Jay Cutler :mad:

SF you know what you need to do.

Fire everyone and sign JFF as the new combination GM/Coach/OC/QB*?

*with an iron-clad 8 year contract

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Larry-Fitzgerald-Will-Play-In-2017/1dd24d85-da92-45bd-b3dd-6e74b8b976b0

N: Fitz is coming back!

V: Oh thank Christ.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Yep. Since it's very likely Larry, Carson, and BA are all gonna retire after next year they're gonna make it count.

Come on Seahawks just take a loving year off and then you'll run the division for like 10 years.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bubba Smith posted:

Come on Seahawks just take a loving year off and then you'll run the division for like 10 years.

Pretty sure they just did!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Chichevache posted:

Pretty sure they just did!

Only the o-line

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Spoeank posted:

Only the o-line

Earl Thomas took the last third off too

God drat do I wish we'd had him in the playoffs

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Our season was essentially over the minute we lost Earl Thomas.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
6 years $126 million seems like way too much for a backup QB. Niners explain

tybach
Jul 2, 2009
I feel like this season was just bad luck for the cards. The talent is there and if they can patch up the o-line next year should be much better. Plus, DJ is the greatest player in the league.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

6 years $126 million seems like way too much for a backup QB. Niners explain

AAC bro I jokingly rode the train about Kaepernick's contract with you but the contract is over so you have to learn a second thing about the NFL man

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

JPrime posted:

that 6-6 game drat near killed me so many times.

edit: No idea what the AZ "fanbase" is. Lots of transplants here...fleeing the cold from back east/north, the cost of living in california, etc.
The Cards were awful a good chunk of my life, so a lot of folks I grew up with became Cowboys fans. And then if you're older and left Arizona before the Cardinals became decent, your connection feels tenuous.

It's hard to pin down the Cardinals fan because so many people in Phoenix are from elsewhere.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The Cards were awful a good chunk of my life, so a lot of folks I grew up with became Cowboys fans. And then if you're older and left Arizona before the Cardinals became decent, your connection feels tenuous.

It's hard to pin down the Cardinals fan because so many people in Phoenix are from elsewhere.

That plus the team history all but encourages just bandwagoning during the good years because in between it's all pain and sorrow and Kevin Kolb.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Spoeank posted:

AAC bro I jokingly rode the train about Kaepernick's contract with you but the contract is over so you have to learn a second thing about the NFL man

Has Kap opted out yet?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Flikken posted:

Has Kap opted out yet?

He can't until March, but multiple sources have said it's definitely happening; like the Shanahan hire, it's unofficially official.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's the day of the Super Bowl and I still hate Jed York.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Flikken posted:

Has Kap opted out yet?

Even though he hasn't opted out (because of league rules), the 6/126 was ripped up last season for his current contract, which has the opt out.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Spoeank posted:

Even though he hasn't opted out (because of league rules), the 6/126 was ripped up last season for his current contract, which has the opt out.

Where does Kap land? Denver?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Flikken posted:

Hopefully

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Flikken posted:

If he's got anything in common with his passes either three yards short or ten yards beyond his destination.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
He'd be functional in any run first offense that doesn't depend on timing passes :shrug:

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Coldforge posted:

He'd be functional in any run first offense that doesn't depend on timing passes :shrug:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Maybe he could make a CFL team lol he sucks rear end $126 million for a 1-15 team

• Locked thread