Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Bentai posted:

God I wish it could be JPM/Helio/Button.

JPM/Alonso/Button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ricky Taylor hosed off to Penske. :stare:

I wonder if the motivation is an IndyCar ride since he's tested with them, as unlikely as that seems.

http://www.teampenske.com/news/index.cfm/c/687/53473/TAYLOR,_RAHAL&PAGENAUD_COMPLETE_IMSA_LINEUP

It's Ricky/Helio, JPM/Cameron for the pairings. SiPag and Graham Rahal are the third drivers for Daytona and Sebring.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

CBJSprague24 posted:

I wonder if the motivation is an IndyCar ride since he's tested with them, as unlikely as that seems.

http://www.teampenske.com/news/index.cfm/c/687/53473/TAYLOR,_RAHAL&PAGENAUD_COMPLETE_IMSA_LINEUP

It's Ricky/Helio, JPM/Cameron for the pairings. SiPag and Graham Rahal are the third drivers for Daytona and Sebring.

Was probably the worst kept secret this year for sports cars. Though now we have rumblings of Alonso doing Daytona with United Autosport (Zak Brown owns that too) and Jenson is looking around but may change with Acura being filled up now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

How about Jordan/Jenson/Jeff in the 10 at Daytona? :getin:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

How about Jordan/Jenson/Jeff in the 10 at Daytona? :getin:

Oh my

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CBJSprague24 posted:

A good run with Penske and you're set for life. It'd be idiotic not to take the seat

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I bet a part of Ricky's decision to move away from WTR was to prove he can still be a winner outside of the family business. As we all know, you don't want to be stuck racing for your father your entire life.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

WindyMan posted:

I bet a part of Ricky's decision to move away from WTR was to prove he can still be a winner outside of the family business. As we all know, you don't want to be stuck racing for your father your entire life.

Ricky Taylor has raced for other teams before so it's not an unprecedented move. I think the bigger thing to prove is that he can still win races without a clearly superior car (probably) and more preseason test time than anyone else. He's certainly a really, really good driver, but he might actually be the weakest link on a team as stacked with talent as Acura Team Penske. Not to mention having to go up against AXR's ridiculous lineup of Barbosa/Nasr and Curran/Albuquerque in the proven Cadillac.

drat, it's going to be good next year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

an oddly awful oud posted:

Not to mention having to go up against AXR's ridiculous lineup of Barbosa/Nasr and Curran/Albuquerque in the proven Cadillac.

Racer mentioned that WTR is after van der Zander or Marcel Fassler to go with JT, either way thats another great team. Joest is supposedly after Oli Jarvis and Earl Bamber, with Rene Rast doing the enduors. And ESM is gonna have Pipo full time, and I imagine they will probably split Pipo and Dalziel which is kind of a shame. That would be a monster car.

Won't be much room for fuckery next year. You better be on your game to win.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The question now: will WEC be worth watching if just for the trainwreck factor?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

Yes. Because trainwrecks in this kind of racing might result in something nuts like a P2 or GT overall win, and is therefore always worth your time to watch.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Christ, IMSA is the best.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Cygni posted:

Racer mentioned that WTR is after van der Zander or Marcel Fassler to go with JT, either way thats another great team. Joest is supposedly after Oli Jarvis and Earl Bamber, with Rene Rast doing the enduors. And ESM is gonna have Pipo full time, and I imagine they will probably split Pipo and Dalziel which is kind of a shame. That would be a monster car.

Won't be much room for fuckery next year. You better be on your game to win.

I would be shocked if Bamber left Porsche GT racing. All the rumors I heard were that Porsche was going to put him and Nick Tandy back in the seats of the 911 RSRs, since they were such a strong pair before they got brought up into the LMP program. Van der Zande seems like a more obvious choice for Mazda due to Troy Flis' relationship with the brand. But who the hell knows at this point

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I would be shocked if Bamber left Porsche GT racing. All the rumors I heard were that Porsche was going to put him and Nick Tandy back in the seats of the 911 RSRs, since they were such a strong pair before they got brought up into the LMP program. Van der Zande seems like a more obvious choice for Mazda due to Troy Flis' relationship with the brand. But who the hell knows at this point

It's the highest level of competition left to him unless he wants to drive one of the customer LMP1s. If Joest really goes after him, I think the only way Porsche keep him is if he's on the shortlist for the F-E team.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

P2 trainwreck plus GT thunderdome. It’ll be good.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Scott Tucker convicted. On house arrest (what, you thought rich people actually had to deal with bail and stuff????) until hes sentenced next year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-13/race-car-driver-tucker-lawyer-convicted-over-payday-loans

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Cygni posted:

Scott Tucker convicted. On house arrest (what, you thought rich people actually had to deal with bail and stuff????) until hes sentenced next year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-13/race-car-driver-tucker-lawyer-convicted-over-payday-loans

Remember when Rick Hendrick was a felon lol

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Darth Cayman and sibling are for sale, guess CJWR is moving to a different platform in Conti next year. Certainly a bunch to choose from, with the new R8 GT4, AMG-GT4, M4 GT4. CJ Wilson sells Porsches, Audis, BMWs, and McLarens, so my guess is either the Audi or the Bimmer. McLaren's have had too many electrical issues this year in IMSA to really be attractive for next year, only thing they have going for them is the weak pound, makes them cheaper than most of the others.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

WEC qualifying in the wet and heavy fog at Fuji right now. Prototypes are next.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Darth Cayman and sibling are for sale, guess CJWR is moving to a different platform in Conti next year. Certainly a bunch to choose from, with the new R8 GT4, AMG-GT4, M4 GT4. CJ Wilson sells Porsches, Audis, BMWs, and McLarens, so my guess is either the Audi or the Bimmer. McLaren's have had too many electrical issues this year in IMSA to really be attractive for next year, only thing they have going for them is the weak pound, makes them cheaper than most of the others.

It’ll be McLaren.

And hopefully I was just chicken and the weather at Fuji isn’t awful, but it’s supposed to be lovely and raining all weekend long.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

This "safari" idea is pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/GerardNeveuWEC/status/919084670871941120

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They’ve done it for Japanese events (Super GT and Super Formula, as well as events like NISMO festival) for a while, it looks fun but you have to be on the correct side to get a good view! It’s also not cheap and very popular.

[Edit] the WEC race has started, almost 40 minutes in. They started behind safety car for the first 10 minutes or so, still rainy and wet.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

harperdc posted:

They’ve done it for Japanese events (Super GT and Super Formula, as well as events like NISMO festival) for a while, it looks fun but you have to be on the correct side to get a good view! It’s also not cheap and very popular.

[Edit] the WEC race has started, almost 40 minutes in. They started behind safety car for the first 10 minutes or so, still rainy and wet.

I’m sure I saw a YouTube clip of a Japanese couple getting married on board a safari bus...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The WEC race has been off and on all day not for rain but for fog. The race is still under red flag and while there’s 37 minutes on the clock I doubt it gets back underway.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
10 minute dash apparently!

:woop:

e: nvm

Falken fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 15, 2017

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Unfortunately not, fog came back so it's straight to parc ferme from the grid now.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/FIAWEC/status/919454888911765504

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I'm pretty disappointed about how much of Fuji got red flagged or safety car-ed, but the foggy conditions were obviously unsuitable for racing so I can't blame the WEC for the call. The cool thing about rain racing is how much it amplifies and draws attention to all the differences in the cars, driver talents, tire manufacturers, etc. so you can get some really wild racing and unusual results, like when Nick Tandy beat all the prototypes at Petit Le Mans in a 911 RSR, so I was really hoping things cleared up enough to keep going.

I think that Toyota's silence this week regarding 2018 is probably not a good sign. I can't believe they wouldn't have made some kind of decision by now and, were they going to stick around, I would think they'd have wanted to announce it at their home track to their home crowd.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm pretty disappointed about how much of Fuji got red flagged or safety car-ed, but the foggy conditions were obviously unsuitable for racing so I can't blame the WEC for the call. The cool thing about rain racing is how much it amplifies and draws attention to all the differences in the cars, driver talents, tire manufacturers, etc. so you can get some really wild racing and unusual results, like when Nick Tandy beat all the prototypes at Petit Le Mans in a 911 RSR, so I was really hoping things cleared up enough to keep going.

I think that Toyota's silence this week regarding 2018 is probably not a good sign. I can't believe they wouldn't have made some kind of decision by now and, were they going to stick around, I would think they'd have wanted to announce it at their home track to their home crowd.

If the commentators weren't able to see across to pit lane...yeah. The rain wasn't bad, but the fog coming through sounded awful. I still kind of wish I'd gone but I also know it would've been a long, wet, frustrating day. At least I could watch it from warmth, and as soon as the checkered flag fell, switch over to the MotoGP coverage.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VFR looking like they will have another chassis change, this time to a Cadillac DPi.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/145117-visit-florida-weighing-switch-to-cadillac

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://streamable.com/5zb1s

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 22, 2017

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

hahaha

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

well, he's not wrong

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Nice.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm the GFCI outlets in a race truck. :pwn:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

orange juche posted:

I'm the GFCI outlets in a race truck. :pwn:

Clipsal makes those. Might as well put them right in line with the onboard.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Add another proto to the IMSA field. BAR1 to run an updated Riley Multimatic:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/145216-bar1-confirms-prototype-plans

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

Add another proto to the IMSA field. BAR1 to run an updated Riley Multimatic:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/145216-bar1-confirms-prototype-plans

This will either be sheer stupidity, or an amazingly smart choice, I mean if Multimatic is basically letting Joest build their car for them, it could be really good.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, what you have there is a Joest led chassis but presumably they'll use the spec Gibson.

Get an LMP2 friendly track and that could be killer.

Or.... and to be honest more likely, you're going to find yourself turbo-last all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Yeah, what you have there is a Joest led chassis but presumably they'll use the spec Gibson.

Get an LMP2 friendly track and that could be killer.

Or.... and to be honest more likely, you're going to find yourself turbo-last all year.

Everything Joest does to the chassis and suspension for the Mazda will be turned back to the Multimatic car too. That’s part of the ‘joker’ package approved. So yeah, it’ll probably be quick certain places (depending on their driver lineup and the circumstances of the factory cars) but rooted to the bottom for sure? Not necessarily. It’s IMSA, things will balance out.

• Locked thread