Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Formula E in Hong Kong trying its best to be Macau

Formula Pee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

Formula E is so god drat embarassing. For the love of god enough with the lovely rear end street circuits. At least make them into a real street track and not these horribly poo poo garbage not suitable for even a stray dog to run around

They want to do it in places where they won't disrupt regular traffic. Naturally, this ends up being airports, parking lots, and old abandoned lots.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

WTCC is getting renamed to WTCR and replacing the TCR International Series. Merging the regulars of TCR Int and WTCC seems like a good way to get some pretty solid grids together.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

njsykora posted:

WTCC is getting renamed to WTCR and replacing the TCR International Series. Merging the regulars of TCR Int and WTCC seems like a good way to get some pretty solid grids together.

I'm okay with this

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Friendly reminder that IMSA will have a TC class now as well in the lower series.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
And ostensibly the ST class is done soon :negative:

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
SpeedSource are done, with all of their equipment up for auction on the 19th including the last of the Lola chassis and their simulator which looks more like an arcade cabinet:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Button to Super GT. Gotta wonder how much money was in that bag from Honda. Should be fun.

http://www.racer.com/international/item/146097-button-confirms-full-time-super-gt-program-for-2018

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Xisticide posted:

SpeedSource are done, with all of their equipment up for auction on the 19th including the last of the Lola chassis and their simulator which looks more like an arcade cabinet:

LMAO is that seriously their simulator setup?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I love seeing that my home simulator setup is better than loving professional race teams

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/another-season-like-2017-unacceptable-for-lorenzo-985284/

Lorenzo fell into the same trap as Rossi at Ducati. Not going to win at all. Sounds like it's the boot if he doesn't drastically improve next season.

I like how with Rossi they were begging him to stay when everything was going to poo poo and didn't seem like improving. Here it's pretty much just an ultimatum towards Lorenzo to shape up or ship out.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/another-season-like-2017-unacceptable-for-lorenzo-985284/

Lorenzo fell into the same trap as Rossi at Ducati. Not going to win at all. Sounds like it's the boot if he doesn't drastically improve next season.

I like how with Rossi they were begging him to stay when everything was going to poo poo and didn't seem like improving. Here it's pretty much just an ultimatum towards Lorenzo to shape up or ship out.

He hosed himself by not moving over in the final race. He probably could've bought himself some runway by being a team player but if Dovi is faster again next year the team is going to ask why the gently caress they're paying him so much.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Norns posted:

I love seeing that my home simulator setup is better than loving professional race teams

Calling the last few years of Speedsource a "professional race team" is stretching the meaning of the term to the point of no recognition

They should've just stuck with running Miatas in CTSCC-ST where their level of strategy, preparation, and pit lane execution was passable

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

gently caress yes, DTM's coming back to Brands Hatch and using the full layout.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1y3KI1Du70

December tests at Daytona started this week.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Favorite part is the TCR cars nearly outpacing the GT4 cars. I bet someone at Audi would have lots of explaining to do if an RS3 beat an R8 on track

(shoulda used the RS5 or the TTRS there, audi)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Favorite part is the TCR cars nearly outpacing the GT4 cars. I bet someone at Audi would have lots of explaining to do if an RS3 beat an R8 on track

(shoulda used the RS5 or the TTRS there, audi)

Pretty sure that’s all down to BOP. None of those categories let cars run at their natural pace.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Pretty sure that’s all down to BOP. None of those categories let cars run at their natural pace.

They’re going to have to reign them in, especially if they have a hope of running something alongside as the ST class.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Oh they never weren't planning to peg them back. I just giggle at the thought of a VW GTI outpacing a McLaren 570S

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

GT4 spec should probably be locked into FR layouts which would help keep the exotics in GT3, but that would disqualify the Caymans and force Porsche to race the Macan

Actually nevermind, that would be great

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Saw this from the Daytona test notes on Racer.com

quote:

To the dismay of Wayne Taylor Racing, the engine from the No. 10 Cadillac was impounded by IMSA sometime around noon on the second day. Team principal Max Angelelli was less than enthused by the decision, according to those who witnessed the exchange.

loving lmao

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Wright Motorsports is jumping ship from PWC back to IMSA and is bringing Patrick Long and the GT3R to compete in GTD full time next year. As if that wasn't enough to be instantly competitive... his new co-driver? Christina Nielsen.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Yeah I'm stoked as gently caress for IMSA next season.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Long/Nielsen 2018 GTD champs, calling it now

(e: how long will it take for nielsen to get promoted to gold, jeez)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Well, you see *farts* she's not Carmen Jorda *massive wet fart* so she won't *high velocity hot chocolate*.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Definitely a major threat but I'm not going to count out Land as a dark horse, they looked top-notch at the few races they competed in last year and losing De Phillippi might not hurt as bad if they full-time Mies and van der Linde in the car

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Meanwhile...
https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/939793420511469568

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Was it him wearing the mascot?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Was it him wearing the mascot?

Probably.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m sure they would’ve gone through with the joke and the reveal had that been the case.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Rebellion has confirmed 2 LMP1's for the super season.

That brings us up to what, 10, maybe 11?

2 x Toyota
2 x SMP
2 x Ginetta - unknown team
2 x Rebellion
1 x Dragonspeed
1 x Manor/TRS
1 x ByKolles?

It's like we're just plowing straight through the planned 2010's decennial sportscar dieoff and right onto the next golden age.

Can't wait to see what kind of top speeds these non-hybrids develop at Le Mans, ByKolles was pushing 340 kph and was quite down on power to what we're expecting this season to keep similar pace with the 'yotas.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 13, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It's like we're just plowing straight through the planned 2010's decennial sportscar dieoff and right onto the next golden age.

if toyota was gone, sure. dont@me

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah if I'd known the privateer contingent would be this interesting I'd have wished for Toyota leaving.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It will be even more interesting to see how the non-hybrids keep up with the factory spaceship. It’ll be a “team’s” championship next year, so all of these groups will be fighting hard. It’s no guarantee that Toyota will be far ahead, and it’ll be interesting to see if any of the new prototypes will be fast and reliable.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
IMSA's official YouTube account is dumping late 80s-early 90s races right now for those who are interested.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mactheknife posted:

IMSA's official YouTube account is dumping late 80s-early 90s races right now for those who are interested.

I watched most of the 1991 Watkins Glen race last night, prime Hobbs and Varsha. I never knew that was so soon after Le Mans, too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

I watched most of the 1991 Watkins Glen race last night, prime Hobbs and Varsha. I never knew that was so soon after Le Mans, too.

Link?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Watkins Glen 1991 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AeX-mc-wU0

There are 1989, 1992 and 1993 Glen races on the channel as well. Also Mid Ohio 1993, Road America 1993 and Sonoma 1989.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That's pretty fantastic quality too, probably because it might have come from ESPN itself and not a guy with a VCR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Dudley posted:

That's pretty fantastic quality too, probably because it might have come from ESPN itself and not a guy with a VCR.

Yeah but those VCR rips have some great commercials in them.

I really like commentators on old broadcast as its a mix of who knows whats going on and what they think without a filter. In the '89 watkins video during a discussion about a penalty one of the commentators says "Well that driver is a foreigner and you know sometimes they don't comprende."

• Locked thread