Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
well seeing Ford finally get a drivers championship will be neat i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah the rally was good btw. Still need to un-neuter the events and get some properly long rallies back in the sport.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is silly since I made fun of someone earlier for saying Loeb/Ogier mainly benefited from luck, but god drat did Ogier get lucky at Monte Carlo. Made several serious mistakes which cost him time, but kept his car intact, while the only mistake Neuville made was minor but destroyed his rear suspension.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anyone following MotoGP testing, I'd give a shout out to Vinales as a good bet to win the title but he's already the second favorite on most betting sites so the odds actually aren't worth it probably

Still hoping that Iannone/Suzuki works out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kenny Roberts Jr. is becoming a MotoGP Legend!

I know people will scoff at that one but he's one of a very small number of 500cc/MotoGP riders to win a title while not on one of the top bikes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
KR did have a very good year in 1999, too. Suzuki never got a hang of the 4-stroke era and that was it for KR's career (though he nearly won that infamous 2006 Grand Prix at Estoril on his dad's bike with a Honda engine)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

harperdc posted:

Now I need to go back and read again how that even happened. I think it was just consistency while everyone else threw things away.

There was a weak field factor there. Rossi had just debuted, Criville ran out of gas, Doohan was gone and the best of the rest was like Loris Capirossi, Alex Barros, and Max Biaggi.

With that being said, Aoki couldn't do poo poo with that bike and it was clearly the third best behind the Honda and Yamaha.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 7, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
:rip: Neuville

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lol Neuville crashed on a super-special, always hilarious when that happens

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Humbug posted:

Its only 3.8 seconds between Latvala and Tanak for the lead too after 15 stages. Always good when the standings aren't set going into Sunday. Ogier only 16 seconds down and may become a factor, but I hope he doesn't.

Østbergs rear wing fell off yesterday and he isn't in the overall contention. He changed goals to go for the record jump at Collins Crest. 42m and more than 160kph over the crest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isHqHdHxHEQ

I kinda love the bare bones nature of the WRC as well. The FIA™ WRC™ Certina™ Official Timekeeper for that stage was a slightly rusted Volvo 850 on the start line with a laptop in the back.

Tanak is seriously impressing me and I think he's in for a big season, I still remember him nearly winning that rally last year in the DMACK Ford.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tanak is the real deal. Ran Ogier harder than any teammate I can remember since Loeb at the Monte, and beat him straight up here.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
People are blowing that out of proportion, stages have been getting cancelled for having too high average speeds (which usually means it has way too many boring straight sections) for a long time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SVG on pole for Clipsal, early but can't think he'd be anything but a title contender this season.

McLaughlin in second for Penske-DJR is good, think he's the best young driver on the grid and could do great things with that team, potentially.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

You Am I posted:

God that man has become a huge hack the past few seasons. He truly has a view that he is the best driver out there, and everyone should get out of his way

He isn't even the best driver on his team anymore.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think 1000k races usually are about 6 hours, which is a pretty common endurance race time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well, Meeke won Rally Mexico but he sure as hell made it interesting on the last stage.
https://twitter.com/Mattzel89/status/841007620500705280

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah last season had a relative amount of parity too, it's just that nobody but Ogier was able to put together a full season of good results, despite all the different winners.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Spoiler alert, Vinales is the new Lorenzo and will make MotoGP boring again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The last 20 years has taught me that there is no point in there being an international touring car series. Just run it like the old Supertouring days and have there be a TCR World Cup involving all the international TCR series every year.

I think there was like, a three year period where ETCC/WTCC was good before it turned into a complete mess of works teams bitching to the FIA and playing team orders games with 6-car teams.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 1, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
When did Jeff Smith buy the Eurotech team from Mike Jordan, anyway?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fun BTCC weekend. Good to see Andrew Jordan back on form, awesome drive by Turkington in the second and third races, and some fun opening-weekend trademark BTCC chaos in race 2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Symmons Plains loving owns

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Neuville finally won a rally in 2017. Have to think he's a favorite to win the title if he doesn't revert to crashing in every rally like the first two rounds, that Hyundai has been quick everywhere.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Good work in Super GT Honda.

Repsol Honda had a double retirement in MotoGP so it was a great weekend all around.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
V8SC at Philip Island was hilarious. Something like 30 tire failures across both races in the weekend.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Plato got roundly beaten by Turkington last year, he may just be too old.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Interest in Supercars may just be down. Them moving off FTA TV was a big mistake.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

julian assflange posted:

Turn on your monitor

:coolspot:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bad luck Alan.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
GRID was the best of Codemasters recent games, I love any racing game that encourages you to race like a dipshit and wreck people.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It looks like Project CARS

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I figure that would just lead to GTs becoming quasi-prototypes like in the 90s FIA-GT years. The Ford GT's already halfway there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Norns posted:

I see nothing wrong with this.

Yeah but isn't the appeal of GT that they at least sort of look like road cars? I think you kinda lose that when "GT" cars end up looking like this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the GT1 homologation rules at some point were one road car (which you didn't have to actually sell), with enough cargo space to hold a briefcase. Toyota successfully argued that you could hold a briefcase in the fuel tank.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Group A died because of the evolution rule, where the number of models in the range of cars in production went from like 2,500 to something like 100. On the other hand, it gave us some insane homologation specials like the Skyline GTR, the various Lancer Evos, and the Sierra Cosworth.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC Mercedes just built a completely inaccessible cubby hole near the wheel well, under the car.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't think it was for GT1 but didn't Porsche once argue that since they had the amount of cars necessary in parts that they met the homologation requirements?

In Group A people would do poo poo like build 500 evolution models and immediately strip them of all the race parts before they went on sale as normal sporty models, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
When's the last time Audi ran a major program without Team Joest?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Really weird to see Joest involved with a non-German manufacturer.

e) really, has that ever happened? Joest was with Porsche/Audi for decades in Le Mans, and was briefly running the factory Opels in DTM/ITC. About the only German manufacturer they didn't touch was BMW, probably because Schnitzer is the BMW house team.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The time is now, for ByKolles

• Locked thread