Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Michael_Cohen13/status/1023993992264998913

https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/status/1023995819513528321

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1024015094651543553

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
God, training camp injuries are the worst. Here's to hoping he's alright.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jazz hands!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
who could have ever guessed that Jay Cutler's future would be in reality TV, and that he would be a Natural.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story?id=24236607&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B"ref"%3A"https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F"%7D

So the Bears are the late in signing their top draft pick partially because of the new penalty for lowering the helmet.

First off: I'm terrible about following football. This seems like a rule to save players from dying early.

B) why does this matter so much to Smith? Don't players get fines regardless of what they sign in their contracts?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
1) the new tackling rule isn’t very clear and there is a lot of concern about its enforcement.

2) the bears want to be able to reclaim guaranteed money in the event smith is suspended.

so basically, if he is ever suspended for an reason, such as for violating an ambiguous tackling rule, the bears want to be able to void guaranteed money in addition to a fine.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Lions saw a guy have a seizure on the field and thought “let’s use a first round pick on him”

I'm sure they were on the fence for that decision.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

curious to see the overall numbers. Vikings have a lot of guys signed through 2020 at this point and while Barr’s future is an obvious question, I’m more curious about Wayne’s. He turned a significant corner this year but the Vikings have a lot of young depth. If Hughes and Hill follow through on their (very) early flashes, I wonder if Waynes could be traded in the offseason since he’ll be in his option year.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I just want to take back any benefit of the doubt I was giving the Bears. On the radio, they were discussing the offset language on the contracts and holy gently caress.

If Roquon Smith is fined by the NFL, his guaranteed money can be voided.

If Roquon Smith says anything bad about the team, his guaranteed money can be voided.

If something the team hasn't thought of occurs that is considered negative towards the team and is done by Roquon Smith, his guaranteed money can be voided.

What is really insane to me is this is a league-wide thing. Most rookie players don't think twice about signing poo poo like that.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I don't know what I'm talking about.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sataere posted:

I just want to take back any benefit of the doubt I was giving the Bears. On the radio, they were discussing the offset language on the contracts and holy gently caress.

If Roquon Smith is fined by the NFL, his guaranteed money can be voided.

If Roquon Smith says anything bad about the team, his guaranteed money can be voided.

If something the team hasn't thought of occurs that is considered negative towards the team and is done by Roquon Smith, his guaranteed money can be voided.

What is really insane to me is this is a league-wide thing. Most rookie players don't think twice about signing poo poo like that.

Seriously? Good for Smith for not signing that bullshit . There's a real chance he never gets another contract playing this insane bloodsport, make sure that money is guarantee

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

Seriously? Good for Smith for not signing that bullshit . There's a real chance he never gets another contract playing this insane bloodsport, make sure that money is guarantee

Yeah, pretty sure the agent is leaking that to ensure Smith doesn't look bad.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
If someone wouldn't mind putting up a new NFC North division thread for the new season sometime soon I'd be appreciative.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Sataere posted:

Yeah, pretty sure the agent is leaking that to ensure Smith doesn't look bad.

It's completely true though, Roquan is just lucky that as a first round pick he has the pull to fight this kind of clause. Darnold held out over something very similar (not related to the helmet thing specifically but wanted to prevent the voiding of guaranteed money in case of fines or suspension) and from what I've heard most of the other first round rookies don't have this thing in their contract.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Athanatos posted:

If someone wouldn't mind putting up a new NFC North division thread for the new season sometime soon I'd be appreciative.

We like this one though :smith: It's comfy and well loved.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This needs to be in the new thread.

SKULL.GIF posted:

3-13-GB 25(8:09) (Shotgun) M.Trubisky pass short right to B.Cunningham pushed ob at GB 2 for 23 yards (M.Evans). Chicago challenged the runner was out of bounds ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) M.Trubisky pass short right to B.Cunningham to GB 2 for 23 yards. FUMBLES, ball out of bounds in End Zone, Touchback.

Enshrine this play immediately in NFC North lore.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Did they fix that rule yet? I know it happened like 2-3 times last year and it 100% is more stupid/annoying than "the process of the catch" that everyone always focuses on.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

American McGay posted:

Did they fix that rule yet? I know it happened like 2-3 times last year and it 100% is more stupid/annoying than "the process of the catch" that everyone always focuses on.

You mean the one about fumbling out of the end zone? Or some review thing?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The one where if you fumble the ball through the end zone somehow the defense gets possession. I understand the touchback thing because you can't advance a fumble forward, but the change of possession makes absolutely no sense and just penalizes offensive players trying to make a play at the goal line.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

American McGay posted:

The one where if you fumble the ball through the end zone somehow the defense gets possession. I understand the touchback thing because you can't advance a fumble forward, but the change of possession makes absolutely no sense and just penalizes offensive players trying to make a play at the goal line.

Don't think it's changed and it probably won't be. As frustrating as it is, it results in some really exciting plays on defense so I say keep it. Protect the drat ball near the goal line and only extend uit when you're sure you can make it in; that seems reasonable

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

American McGay posted:

hold on to the ball better, MEAT

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Play posted:

Don't think it's changed and it probably won't be. As frustrating as it is, it results in some really exciting plays on defense so I say keep it. Protect the drat ball near the goal line and only extend uit when you're sure you can make it in; that seems reasonable
Every other fumble out of bounds ends up going to the team that last possessed the ball. Having the end zone suddenly behave the exact opposite is weird.

Also it's not even consistent with both end zones. If the offense fumbles out of their own end zone it's a safety. It's madness I tell you.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

American McGay posted:

Every other fumble out of bounds ends up going to the team that last possessed the ball. Having the end zone suddenly behave the exact opposite is weird.

Also it's not even consistent with both end zones. If the offense fumbles out of their own end zone it's a safety. It's madness I tell you.

On the one hand, this rule is stupid. On the other hand, I'm sure it contributed to John Fox getting fired.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

American McGay posted:

It is madness but what you're forgetting is madness makes for good, entertaining football.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
All loose balls out of bounds should be turnovers like in rugby, including the defense having to chuck it in from the sidelines to guys being lifted up by their teammates

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

blackmongoose posted:

All loose balls out of bounds should be turnovers like in rugby, including the defense having to chuck it in from the sidelines to guys being lifted up by their teammates
Now this is something I can get behind.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

blackmongoose posted:

This guy gets it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah I'd be more than down for that (not the throwing thing but the fumbling out of bounds thing). I always had a bad feeling when a dude fumbles forward out of bounds and the defense doesn't quite get to it. Fumbles need to be punished, dammit

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

As long as we're cleaning up the fumble out-of-bounds scenarios, we oughta address the batting the ball situations as well. Imagine the shenanigans that would happen on defense with every fumble.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

blackmongoose posted:

all loose balls out of bounds should be live balls that can be fielded by anyone in the stadium not currently legally involved in the play on the field

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Sataere posted:

On the one hand, this rule is stupid. On the other hand, I'm sure it contributed to John Fox getting fired.

I haven't seen the game or moment since it happened, but I like to think there was a Ralph Wiggum type moment where it occurred to him just how hosed that challenge was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Have the new thread in case you're blind as gently caress:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864742

• Locked thread