Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

grack posted:

I'm still wondering how Dallas' goaltending isn't yet dead last in the league

it's because the team has legitimately tightened up their play 5 on 5, and both Niemi and Lehtonen have had decent runs 5 on 5 this year.

But yeah.. Dallas is on track to have the worst 4 vs 5 (SH) save percentage in recorded history by a wide margin. Mostly owing to Lehtonen running a sub .700 save percentage 4 on 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
*Runs in through wall*

OSHDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWG

*Runs out through opposite wall*

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I love this Washington broadcast, they're so unapologetically homerist but they are likable.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!

"Starsfan" posted:

Mostly owing to Lehtonen running a sub .700 save percentage 4 on 5.

good lord that's hilarious. I'm so sorry

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Starsfan posted:

it's because the team has legitimately tightened up their play 5 on 5, and both Niemi and Lehtonen have had decent runs 5 on 5 this year.

But yeah.. Dallas is on track to have the worst 4 vs 5 (SH) save percentage in recorded history by a wide margin. Mostly owing to Lehtonen running a sub .700 save percentage 4 on 5.

I admit I haven't really looked at the spits but I swear every time I pay attention to a Stars' game their goalies' SV% are truly horrific.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Holy motherfucker that was a great save by Grub

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Holy poo poo Gruby.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Holy eff, Grubauer.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

z0331 posted:

Holy poo poo Gruby.

That was a hell of a blocker.

He's going to Vegas, isn't he.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

take me you ANIMAL posted:

That was a hell of a blocker.

He's going to Vegas, isn't he.

That would be the best case scenario for the Capitals (short of Orpik going). That means Orlov and Schmidt are both still in DC. Vanecek is ready for the NHL backup role, and by the time Holtby's contract is up Samsanov will be coming from the KHL.

EDIT: Wilson going would be fine too.

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 22, 2017

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

mindofme posted:

good lord that's hilarious. I'm so sorry

If you think that's bad, the Stars save percentage at 3 on 3 this year is (fittingly) 33.3%

the 2nd worst team in the league is running 54%

Also the Stars have the 3rd worst save percentage in the league when they are on the powerplay.

Like I said, the Stars actually have the 7th highest 5v5 save percentage.. but they do really really bad whenever it isn't 5 on 5.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/unlikelyfanatic/status/823008705369276418

heh

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mike Smith now 6-0-2 this year when facing 40+ shots

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/alex_prewitt/status/822626324850372608

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Gunjin posted:

That would be the best case scenario for the Capitals (short of Orpik going). That means Orlov and Schmidt are both still in DC. Vanecek is ready for the NHL backup role, and by the time Holtby's contract is up Samsanov will be coming from the KHL.

EDIT: Wilson going would be fine too.

Yea, I know everyone says, Orpik/Wilson, but I know that poo poo isn't going to happen. Haven't kept an eye on Vanecek, just on Samsanov being the next big guy after Holtby. drat our goalie drafting has been good.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Starsfan posted:

If you think that's bad, the Stars save percentage at 3 on 3 this year is (fittingly) 33.3%

the 2nd worst team in the league is running 54%

Also the Stars have the 3rd worst save percentage in the league when they are on the powerplay.

Like I said, the Stars actually have the 7th highest 5v5 save percentage.. but they do really really bad whenever it isn't 5 on 5.

Christ, do Niemi and Lehtonen just fall asleep if there aren't enough players on the ice to keep them entertained?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

grack posted:

Christ, do Niemi and Lehtonen just fall asleep if there aren't enough players on the ice to keep them entertained?

earlier this year the Stars were actually the 2nd best team save percentage at 5 on 5, and something like 23rd overall. This lead to a bizarre argument on twitter amongst analytics types and fans about whether the Stars' goaltender was terrible or excellent.

Most people in the analytics community seem to believe it's just a bad run of luck in a small sample size away from even strength, and the Stars goaltenders have actually been fine this year. Seasoned Dallas fans aren't buying it.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Legit heard people at work saying that the media was lying and that trumps attendance was way higher than obamas, and when I showed them the side by side comparison photos they said they were fake. loving hate these old assholes I have to work with.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Goal maybe kind of!!!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

well congrats on your first win in Dallas In a decade caps.

**holy gently caress they scored before I could even finish typing my "entering OT" joke

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I dunno what the confusion was but hell yeah beat the Stars!

Haha Caps peacing out, Stars sitting around.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Was that the first shot in OT?

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Starsfan posted:

well congrats on your first win in Dallas In a decade caps.

First game there in three years I don't go to also... and in 15 I went to both the home and away games.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
holy the Caps are good

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

grack posted:

Yep. First like 9 seconds.

But a weird end to that.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Yea, I know everyone says, Orpik/Wilson, but I know that poo poo isn't going to happen. Haven't kept an eye on Vanecek, just on Samsanov being the next big guy after Holtby. drat our goalie drafting has been good.

Orpik would take a hefty draft pick bribe, with Wilson there is the faint chance that GMGM is still enamored with him .

Vanecek is probably Grubauer quality (at least as well as I can predict, since goalies are loving voodoo).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jay :regd09:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
BEAGLE!!!!!!!!!!

gently caress, that was fast.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

grack posted:

of our 9 OT loses this year, I think 6 or 7 of them were won on the first shot.

fire Ruff tonight! (i'm going to keep positng this every night until it comes true)

Just another of countless special teams loses this year.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Starsfan posted:

fire Ruff tonight! (i'm going to keep positng this every night until it comes true)

:stonk:

I can't decide if that's terrifying or just really, really funny.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
nice couch hank

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Gunjin posted:

Orpik would take a hefty draft pick bribe, with Wilson there is the faint chance that GMGM is still enamored with him .

Vanecek is probably Grubauer quality (at least as well as I can predict, since goalies are loving voodoo).

Well with Gruby putting up Holtby numbers in his limited starts, it seems a pretty smart move to take him and another of the exposed goalies and have them 1a/1b a season to find a starter when you get to pick a player from each team. But I ain't no GMGM Forsberg for Erat genius.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Starsfan posted:

Hey starsfan, now that our game is over, go Stars in the West! Had to skip my baby Stars tickets tonight because wife is sick, but am going to the next like 8 weekend games so will cheer for the prospects.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Hey starsfan, now that our game is over, go Stars in the West! Had to skip my baby Stars tickets tonight because wife is sick, but am going to the next like 8 weekend games so will cheer for the prospects.

Atleast you know my pain then, from what I've heard the babby Stars have the same awful goaltending the pro Stars do.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
c-mac :krakken:

mindofme
May 19, 2003

pretty sure that's not interference

mindofme
May 19, 2003

chiasson looks even more 12 than nuge

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Starsfan posted:

Atleast you know my pain then, from what I've heard the babby Stars have the same awful goaltending the pro Stars do.

Yea, Legace is gently caress awful, but Bow is still young and the two games I saw him in he looked OK.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
rip!!

rip and tear!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindofme
May 19, 2003

fits posted:

rip!!

rip and tear!!

Stick more forks in it. MORE FORKS :fork:

• Locked thread