Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

The title says it all. Surely you have watched a movie that just about everyone loves, a film that is by all accounts a fine piece of work and yet it just doesn't click for you on an individual level.

I hate The Godfather. Really, I just hate it so much I can hardly stand it. This movie is borderline unwatchable. It is gruelingly slow and needlessly long and the cinematography felt lazy and uninspired. How this is one of the most critically acclaimed films of all time I will never understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Did you watch The Godfather on a shiny PC monitor? Because I can understand not liking the cinematography when you spend half the time seeing a reflection of your own face.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Do this thread in reverse and you'll get way more replies, OP.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If you can't understand why The Godfather is a great movie, you probably don't have much of a foundation in what good cinema is.

It's not even a matter of whether you like a film or not. I don't care for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but I think it's a good film that deserves its accolades.

Anyways, I think Independence Day is garbage. I get why people like it, but I can't stand it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The first one that comes to mind is Possession (1981). Opinions are nearly universally positive, but I found it unbearably grating. I get that the outpouring of exaggerated emotion is intentional, but it got on my nerves like few movies have. It took me two tries to get through it, and when I finally did I thought my brain was going to explode.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't much care for The Fountain or Black Swan. I don't really remember enough about either to elaborate though.

psychic chasms
Oct 23, 2012

SCREWED UP CLICK TILL THEY LAY ME IN MY CASKET
birdman is a loving insufferable movie that everyone inexplicably adores

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think it should be, "Movies that are well-liked that you also like"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think it should be, "Movies that are well-liked that you also like"

Hell yeah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Movies that you only like because they were on TV all the time.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

A thread where I watch the entirety of M. Night's middle period for the first time and slowly realize that I love every one of them

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Finally, I can paste the Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins megapost ive had cued up for so long

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I like Lars and the Real Girl a great deal

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spatulater bro! posted:

The first one that comes to mind is Possession (1981). [...] when I finally did I thought my brain was going to explode.

Yeah, that's what is so fantastic about it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Spatulater bro! posted:

The first one that comes to mind is Possession (1981). Opinions are nearly universally positive, but I found it unbearably grating. I get that the outpouring of exaggerated emotion is intentional, but it got on my nerves like few movies have. It took me two tries to get through it, and when I finally did I thought my brain was going to explode.

Possession is a movie that you have to grow to like because it's incredibly uncomfortable to watch especially if you've been through that sort of break up or divorce. It just really nails the emotions regarding that.

Citizen Kane is a boring slog and I've never really liked any of Welles films.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't know if I'd say I hate it, but I find Big Lebowski really boring. Which is weird, because there's so much in it that I theoretically enjoy, but it never comes together. It's kind of oddly subdued.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
I think I would like Big Lewbowski better if I had seen it without any preconceptions. When I first came to it the internet had already talked about it to death, so it didn't seem as surprising if I had went in blind.

I still like it, but I prefer several other Coen brothers films over it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hollismason posted:

Out of curiosity, have you watched it on your own terms or as part of a film class? Not that that necessarily makes a difference, but it's a really entertaining movie that works perfectly fine outside of an academic context.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Apes-Ma posted:

I think I would like Big Lewbowski better if I had seen it without any preconceptions. When I first came to it the internet had already talked about it to death, so it didn't seem as surprising if I had went in blind.

I still like it, but I prefer several other Coen brothers films over it.

I had an friend of a friend in college who was literally obsessed with Big Lebowski (he looked like Walter), something about that movie really grabs people.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Citizen Kane would be better if the news reel opening was like 90% shorter.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Hollismason posted:

Ted, is that you?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I had an friend of a friend in college who was literally obsessed with Big Lebowski (he looked like Walter), something about that movie really grabs people

It's an eminently quotable film, the kind you can very easily incorporate into a casual conversation. Probably the same reason Monty Python and the Holy Grail has proven so enduring.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's totally insufferable when anyone quotes either and then makes this face like "oh i'm so original".

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Birdman had some good scenes but overall seemed pretty uninspired and pretentious. I would appreciate it for the consequent, meta career resurgence of Michael Keaton but I think that distinction belongs to The Other Guys.

I saw a lot of love for Berberian Sound Studio on this forum but Jesus Christ what a snoozefest. I think it's the only film that actively put me to sleep.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The Night of the Hunter bored me. A few scenes look really good but the rest of the film is a slog. I don't get its critical resurgence in the past 15 years, either - the contemporary reviews were pretty spot-on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

A thread where I watch the entirety of M. Night's middle period for the first time and slowly realize that I love every one of them

What's your favorite, I can't even picture a good guess right now.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

God Hole posted:

I saw a lot of love for Berberian Sound Studio on this forum but Jesus Christ what a snoozefest. I think it's the only film that actively put me to sleep.

How familiar are you with Giallos? I liked Berberian Sound Studio quite a bit, but I don't know how interesting it would be for someone who doesn't care much about Italian horror.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's totally insufferable when anyone quotes either and then makes this face like "oh i'm so original".

Overexposure has ruined a lot of great comedies, sadly.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The Witch set out to make a horror movie without jump scares, only to remove the scares part as well.

If I ever had a Fury Road itch, I'd just load Fallout: New Vegas, spawn a bunch of random Raiders, and have them chase me through the wasteland for a few hours. Generic after-the-end cars populated by genetic mooks, chasing after generic hot women. Yee-awn.

(to be fair I'm not sure if these really count. Witch got relatively negative cinemascores from people leaving the movie and my audience reaction was similar, and FR couldn't beat Pitch Perfect 2 at the BO.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Man of Steel.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I didn't hate Fury Road, but after it had been hyped to high heaven, especially by goons, as the greatest action film EVER!!! I was a bit deflated when my reaction was "It was.. okay, I guess." Better than Battletruck, but no Mad Max 2.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Spatulater bro! posted:

Out of curiosity, have you watched it on your own terms or as part of a film class? Not that that necessarily makes a difference, but it's a really entertaining movie that works perfectly fine outside of an academic context.

No I watched them all on my own. I'm not saying the films are not well directed , but overall I just find them "MEH". Obviously the man was a brilliant director. I just don't care for his movies I find them boring.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Guardians of the Galaxy is a movie I had forgotten everything about as I left the theater. It's got pretty colors, and the characters are somewhat memorable, but, for the life of me, I couldn't tell you what happens in that film, or why it happens. All Marvel movies are disposable to an extent, but, the fact that this one is held in such high regard has always confused and angered me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I haven't seen a Marvel movie that wasn't impossibly dull and empty.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ElNarez posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is a movie I had forgotten everything about as I left the theater. It's got pretty colors, and the characters are somewhat memorable, but, for the life of me, I couldn't tell you what happens in that film, or why it happens. All Marvel movies are disposable to an extent, but, the fact that this one is held in such high regard has always confused and angered me.

I really enjoyed Guardians because it was every bit as fun and as disposable as every other Marvel movie but I had no reason to actually care about any of the characters (unlike, say, Iron Man or whatever) and had zero idea who anyone was. It was still disposable and still fun.

I'm gonna go with Blade Runner. It has everything I should like about a movie. But despite many attempts to watch it, directors cut, theatrical cut, other versions, I always fall asleep. I'm sure it's good and all that but I can't not fall asleep watching it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Big superhero-Star Wars movies is cheating.

I've been TRYING to think of something but it's like, I don't usually even bother with Oscar-bait movies but you take some pompous much-parodied stuff like Goodwill Hunting and I find something I like about it. Ehhhh.... Forest Gump, I guess?

e: Arrival! I mean, I didn't hate it at all, it was just kind of like, "set up logic problem: resolution, The Movie." I wouldn't see it again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This list has to begin and end with Shawshank. I'm convinced it being on TNT every other Saturday for like ten years is the sole reason it's embedded in the public consciousness.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm looking through Academy Award nominees/winners but it's like, is there anybody out there who doesn't roll their eyes if you mention Crash?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I'm looking through Academy Award nominees/winners but it's like, is there anybody out there who doesn't roll their eyes if you mention Crash?

My wife's mom and grandfather think it's one of the most powerful movies they've ever seen.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I really didn't like The Pianist.

It was like a bunch of tearjerker WWII stuff but nothing really beyond that. It was a weak reply to "Life is Beautiful" which is a great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shbobdb posted:

I really didn't like The Pianist.

It was like a bunch of tearjerker WWII stuff but nothing really beyond that. It was a weak reply to "Life is Beautiful" which is a great movie.

I'm more surprised someone is out there riding for Life Is Beautiful.

• Locked thread