Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Release Date: 1/20/2017
Platform: Playstation 4

Gravity Rush 2

or

Falling With Style: Fall Harder

Gravity Rush 2 (or Gravity Daze 2, as it's known in Japan and in the above image), is the sequel to former Vita exclusive and later PS4 port Gravity Rush. It continues the story of amnesiac girl and compulsive do-gooder Kat, who woke up without memories one day and discovered she could float around with the help of a mysterious space-cat. She then used this power to help random passersby, stop a military coup, plumb the innermost depths of her strange tiered world, and sleep in a sewer pipe.

After she does all those things, some other things happen that lead into Gravity Rush 2. These things appear in an animated short that was release online. You need to watch this if you want to have any idea why the second game starts the way it does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFeXtu-3u78

Gameplay

Gravity Rush is an open-world mission-based action/adventure title that focuses mostly on different uses of Kat's gravity-shifting abilities. Kat can float away from the earth at the press of a button, after which she'll refocus her center of gravity and start to fall in whatever direction she's aimed at. The result is a "flight" mechanic that's more of a series of carefully controlled falls, with Kat freewheeling through the sky only to crash-land on whatever surface she's headed towards, at which point she'll root herself to that surface and start walking around. After pulling off a series of particularly deft maneuvers, it's easy to forget which way is up.

When Kat's not exploring, she's fighting the Nevi, strange blobby black monsters who randomly show up and terrorize people. GR2's combat mechanics are simple but diverse - Kat can kick baddies to death (if she's on the ground), flying-kick them to death (if she's floating in the air), or lift up debris with gravity fields and launch it at foes (if she's over here but they're all the way over there and ugh, come on people, we're not getting any younger). The sequel also augments her skillset with a couple of extra styles that let her do things like teleport around foes or create screen-clearing shockwave stomps.

The game's activities are varied but unambitious - you get collectible pickups (purple gems used to boost Kat's various skills), fetch quests, time trials, and so on. The crazy geography of the game world keeps things interesting, though, and GR2 also introduced a photography mechanic that acts as asynchronous multiplayer, of sorts. Photographs other players have taken of treasure chests scattered throughout the world appear in your inventory, from time to time; you can then select those photos and use them as clues to find the treasures for yourself, and then snap a pic of your own to continue the cycle. Photographs can also be taken anytime and uploaded, and might win you goodies if other people approve of them. GR2's locales are huge and Kat's ability to float sky-high on a whim can make for some stunning vistas, so people who enjoyed the photo mechanics of games like Mad Max or Shadows of Mordor should find some entertainment here.

Aesthetic

Gravity Rush is a pretty-rear end game.

The series combines an obvious anime look with influences of French comic artists (Enki Bilal and Jean Giraud in particular were named by senior artist Yoshiaki Yamaguchi) which creates a vibrant, colorful look full of interesting architecture and varied character designs. Even the first game's PS4 port was nice to look at, but the sequel takes it to the next level - the central city of Jirga Para Lhao is huge, with no load times, impressive draw distance (it's easy to find quest NPC's from entire islands away just by floating above the skyline and panning the ground below), and no frame rate hitches despite a ton of particle effects. Every stomp or impact clouds the screen with splinters and debris on a scale I haven't seen since Resogun, and while the demo hitched when combat got especially chaotic, everything's been buttery-smooth in the full release with a base PS4 model. The music sounds similarly Parisian at points - lots of accordion, seems like - and is mostly pleasant to hear, though the "quest complete" jingle is a little too blaring for me.

Cutscenes largely consist of 2D comic stills, and voice acting is vaguely Frenchy babble, with lengthier in-game cutscenes being fairly sparse. I prefer that, personally. Keeps the story moving at a brisk pace.

Speaking of which.

Story

Whoa, boy. Strap in.

As said, the world of Gravity Rush exists in tiers - a giant "stalk" of different locales and cities vertically sectioned off by impassable storms full of electricity and chaotic gravitational forces. In the first game, Kat wakes up in one such city, Hekseville, that has been largely eaten away by the gravity storms, and spends most of the game restoring it piece by piece. Along the way, she's harried by the Nevi and by Raven, another gravity shifter who's antagonizing her for unknown reasons, and assisted by a lone-wolf cop and a hobo who claims to be God and has an interdimensional portal instead of a torso.

It gets way weirder from there.

Gravity Rush's last act had a huge number of bizarre rapid-fire plot points that mostly stayed coherent but received absolutely no closure, with most of the game's larger mysterious left hanging. Gravity Rush 2, on the other hand, is supposed to answer all of these, since the developers didn't believe they'd be getting a third game. I'm not too far in, but we'll see.

Besides that, while the plot does achieve that type of obscure ridiculousness that only anime can offer, it's mostly fun and light-hearted throughout. Kat herself is an excellent protagonist, bizarre bejeweled leotard aside - bubbly but not ditzy, kind-hearted but not particularly naive, her inability to let a single good deed go undone gives some much-needed context to the series' busywork, and it's nice to see the side cast warm up to her as she proves herself to them.

As noted above, Gravity Rush 1 and 2 are also bridged by an animated special that was released shortly before the sequel's release. Watch it here.

Should I play the first game before trying this one?

Yes.

Even if I-

Yes. GR2 does not give a poo poo about explaining itself, and without the first game a lot of stuff in the second will be way more confusing right off the bat. It's still perfectly enjoyable and the basic gameplay loop hasn't changed, so if you have fun with the first, the second should be up your alley.

Oh my god I just started and everything is brown and grey and I can't even shift, why do you lie

Yeah, the sequel does take its time getting started, and the first locale is a glorified tutorial area. The full city opens up after an hour or so, if you mainline the plot.

I checked out the mines and this one has 54,000 gems to collect, are you loving kidding me?

GR2 includes a number of "mines," which are basically gigantic dungeon areas full of high-level Nevi and, as cited above, unreasonably large numbers of gems. They're mainly for people who want to get some extra combat and collecting in, and seem to be totally optional besides. Don't lose your mind trying to 100% them.

I keep losing my super meter whenever I try to throw something.

The tutorial on this mechanic is a little vague. In order to lift and toss debris, you can either tap Circle, or hold it. Holding it will change your throw to a "Piercing Throw" that turns the projectile into a homing attack that strikes enemies repeatedly, but also chews up your Super Meter. It's sensitive, so lightly tap Circle to pick up stuff without losing meter.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

You can apparently play the whole game in First Person just by tapping left on the direction pad. I enjoy making these wide screenshots more than what I've done playing with the camera. For now anyway. I'm only in the first area.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This game is a good game. Both for playing and taking awesome and weird pictures.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I want to pick this up so bad but due to work for the next six months my only gaming will be on a laptop. No room for the PS4. :smith:

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 22, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just got the Lunar Style and was impressed to discover that it has a lot more features than were apparent in the demo. I'm already getting the feel for naturally switching back and forth between the two styles. Can't wait to get Jupiter!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Regy Rusty posted:

I just got the Lunar Style and was impressed to discover that it has a lot more features than were apparent in the demo. I'm already getting the feel for naturally switching back and forth between the two styles. Can't wait to get Jupiter!

Jupiter is a lot of fun, and it's your real heavy-hitter combat set. The Gravity Kick becomes something you charge up that unleashes a brutal shockwave on-impact to take out clusters of enemies. Or clear out clusters of Ore in one shot :v:.

Can anyone tell me what the costume next to Shifter 2.0 is though? I'm pretty sure I've gotten all the non-Dusty Coin ones except that. Is it the preorder bonus skin?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can anyone tell me what the costume next to Shifter 2.0 is though? I'm pretty sure I've gotten all the non-Dusty Coin ones except that. Is it the preorder bonus skin?

Inbetween Shifter 2.0 and Jazz Singer is Worker.

I hope somebody puts up a guide for the photo collections because god drat am I bad at finding them.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This game and the remastered first one are my favorite "zip around and open world" type game since I played Spider Man 2 on my Gamecube

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Question for Story Mission 14: How the gently caress am I supposed to get to the Auldnoir station? The game keeps kicking me back to my pipe every time I get within about 100 yards and I've tried every sort of approach possible.

Is something glitched?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Inbetween Shifter 2.0 and Jazz Singer is Worker.

I hope somebody puts up a guide for the photo collections because god drat am I bad at finding them.

So far the only one that's given me trouble is the swing set one. Why the hell wouldn't you have a swing set in the actual park rather than in a random spot way down below?

I'm still perplexed about the "Central Port" location but I assume I'll know it when I see it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

So far the only one that's given me trouble is the swing set one. Why the hell wouldn't you have a swing set in the actual park rather than in a random spot way down below?

Oh god it's down there? Mother gently caress. I must have flown around that drat park for a good 40 minutes looking for that loving swingset.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can go long enough in this game just doing stuff like that that I'll forget that its a series about fighting monsters and stuff.

Also it's about smashing the state too. Timely!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh god it's down there? Mother gently caress. I must have flown around that drat park for a good 40 minutes looking for that loving swingset.

Yeah it pissed me off haha.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can go long enough in this game just doing stuff like that that I'll forget that its a series about fighting monsters and stuff.

Also it's about smashing the state too. Timely!

Yeah, it jumps headlong into "NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR" with surprising verve.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm an enemy of the state in a classy evening dress

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm an enemy of the state in a classy evening dress
Speaking of which did the US version get a bunch of game store tie-in photo props like the Japanese did?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of which did the US version get a bunch of game store tie-in photo props like the Japanese did?

Haven't seen anything like that yet

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

Haven't seen anything like that yet
It's a free DLC on the Japanese store, I should say.

edit: why the hell is distance measured in yards in this game, even in Japan?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 22, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hahaha oh my god, game, I love you, but there is an absolute limit to the amount of dumb unfun bullshit I am willing to put up with from you and you are riding that limit.

Pushing an hour after working around a game breaking glitch that required a reinstall and redownload of saved data, and to be greeted by the dumbest of forced bullshit sections. Come on here, give me an inch, please.

Edit: And it turns out it was another glitch! I am just having all the luck today :negative:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 22, 2017

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm only on story mission 8 because I try to do a couple side missions between them and then I'll wind up flying around for an hour looking for gems because the map is huge. It makes the first game look so tiny

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Question for Story Mission 14: How the gently caress am I supposed to get to the Auldnoir station? The game keeps kicking me back to my pipe every time I get within about 100 yards and I've tried every sort of approach possible.

Is something glitched?

I just ran into the same issue, saving, exiting the game, and reloading my save fixed it. My game had been running since yesterday, with the PS4 spending the night in rest mode, so I wonder if that did it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Pro tip for when you do Online Treasure Challenges (the ones out of Announcements, not ghosts in the game world); go search around a little before you actually go hunt down the chest. It's an instanced world, so all the Precious Gems are reset.

Also, when you land (ie; plummet at terminal velocity) you can actual turn it into a roll by tapping R2 just as you hit. Practice this as much as you can, you will thank me later when you run into a certain side-quest in Hekseville.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Hahaha oh my god, game, I love you, but there is an absolute limit to the amount of dumb unfun bullshit I am willing to put up with from you and you are riding that limit.

Thankfully Mission 14 is the last one with any degree of bullshit in its gameplay gimmicks. The rest are straight gravity fun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I forgot how much I loved Pleajeune's music.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 22, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I am REALLY not feeling lunar mode. "Floaty" is never a good adjective to describe game controls and this is deliberately that for some reason. Also, gravity kicking has never been precise enough to do it repeatedly against one target and have it actually stay on target.

edit: does anyone know the conditions for your uploaded pictures being seen by others and vice versa? I figured I'd be seeing lots all over the place and lots more people would have looked at mine. Is it like Dark Souls where the game is making random P2P connections in the background all the time and you just get lucky or not?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 22, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Welp, I burned through Gravity Rush 2 and finished it :munch:. All I will say is the developers deliver on their promise and the ending does actually answer every question raised by the first game.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I am REALLY not feeling lunar mode. "Floaty" is never a good adjective to describe game controls and this is deliberately that for some reason. Also, gravity kicking has never been precise enough to do it repeatedly against one target and have it actually stay on target.

The style names refer to the respective planetary bodies' gravity strengths :ssh:.

Lunar's not great for combat, most of the Nevi you can use it against die to stuff hucked at them anyway, it's only real use is platforming. The real trick is learning not to overcorrect your jumps out of habit. Jupiter, ironically, is a much better Style for getting around because you fall so much faster.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The style names refer to the respective planetary bodies' gravity strengths :ssh:.
drat I wish I was as clever as you!

From your description it isn't made for combat OR platforming. That's been my experience so far. I guess you can conserve gravity energy with it somewhat?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 22, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

drat I wish I was as clever as you!

It took me ages to figure that one out, but it's so blindly obvious you hate yourself for not working it out sooner :cripes:.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Is the first Gravity Rush still worth playing or should I just skip straight to 2

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's worth playing

Especially if you care about having the slightest idea what's going on in the story. But even if not it's a good game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This game seriously encourages irresponsible falling.

edit: and martial arts photography! Haiyaaaaa!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I will spoil one minor part of the ending, you get a very silly emote as a reward for completing it. It's completely unrelated to the ending, but if you don't want to know what it is, I'll leave it spoilered; Kat pulls an apple out of her cleavage, takes a bite, then stuffs the apple back between her tits.

Samurai Sanders posted:

This game seriously encourages irresponsible falling.

edit: and martial arts photography! Haiyaaaaa!

You gotta get on the next level, Sanders!

Inverted photos taken on ceilings!

Photos on walls!

Photos with donuts!

Photos on walls with donuts!

Only boring non-Shifters take photos on the ground :colbert:.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Inverted photos taken on ceilings!

SCARAB PERSON

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

SCARAB PERSON

I...scarab..girl..

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just found out about the photo-album collection and hahaha, no, no thanks. The city's so dense that trawling it for little sights like those must be torture.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I just found out about the photo-album collection and hahaha, no, no thanks. The city's so dense that trawling it for little sights like those must be torture.

I think it's pretty fun. They give you good clues

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Kat is pretty cold blooded just picking up dudes and tossing them off ships thousands of feet to their deaths

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just got a talisman that automatically grabs items in stasis field range.

That is way too silly. I'd just be idly flying by, and because I flew over a river or something I'd pick up a bunch of water. :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Photos on walls with donuts!
I just got meat on a stick so mainly doing that now.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like this game but if I play it for too long at a time I get nauseous. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do the online parts of the game update on some kind of schedule or something? Sometimes I go a long time without getting any info about treasure hunts or whatever and then a bunch all at once.

• Locked thread