Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

share your favorite books here or don't

I've read recently -

- Rules for radicals - Saul Alinsky which is free https://archive.org/details/RulesForRadicals
- ABCs of Political Economy https://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Political-Economy-Modern-Approach/dp/0745318576/

I hear for history the Caro books on LBJ are great, what else???

Others I've heard of

- The Kingfish - Huey Long history
- Those game change things

????

The bible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
The Battle of Algiers is a good politics movie! So is Network and Primary Colors and even Man With a Movie Camera!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I like the Chilean movie 'NO' which is about how Pinochet was defeated in a plebescite thanks to his opponents marketing tactics on how to sell people on democracy:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJUk_6hN-s

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Any Ken Loach

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I highly recommend mein kampf

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Panzeh posted:

I highly recommend mein kampf

and it's sequel.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

capital. close thread.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Caro on LBJ and Perlstein on Goldwater/Nixon/Reagan.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Al-Saqr posted:

and it's sequel.

the sequel is a better political polemic but it doesnt have the autobiographical quality of the original

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

jarofpiss posted:

capital. close thread.

You forgot the manifesto and 'What is to be Done?'

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
All of those are mainly-irrelevant relics of the 19th century imo

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

jBrereton posted:

everything you need to know that's newer than that you can get by watching zizek youtube videos

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

jBrereton posted:

YOU'RE a mainly irrelevant relic of the 19th century.

You want relevant books? FINE.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/138332.Joseph_Vissarionovich_Stalin

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/170288.On_the_Art_of_the_Cinema

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2930945-on-the-juche-idea

HAVE AT YOU.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
The Game Change books are very entertaining and I really hope that we get multiple volumes on this recent shitshow

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

rear end cobra posted:

The Game Change books are very entertaining and I really hope that we get multiple volumes on this recent shitshow

Wasn't Mark Halperin basically exposed as a total fraud?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Yossarian-22 posted:

Wasn't Mark Halperin basically exposed as a total fraud?

He's always been all about access and nothing else, but I enjoyed WADR and I still want to believe that the books are true

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
bump

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
is there a GOOD book that is a comprehensive history of the 2003 iraq war or at least its origins. please help me

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

rear end cobra posted:

Caro on LBJ and Perlstein on Goldwater/Nixon/Reagan.

hell yeah

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

also i always post network in this threads, see that if you havent

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

is there a GOOD book that is a comprehensive history of the 2003 iraq war or at least its origins. please help me

Imperial Life in the Emerald City.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
z is cool and good

meisners maos china is a good in depth look from a not unsympathetic perspective

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If you have like 6 hours of your life to spare Novecento is good.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

maos china [...] good

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I realise this may be more from a historical perspective but I would recommend A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Imperial Life in the Emerald City.

Seems good so far. Also when I looked at the cover I remember the daily show having the author on way back when the book came out. Cool thanks

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

plunkitt of tammany hall is good, just a collection of speeches by a tammany hall boss that are pretty interesting

don't buy it! available for free on project gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2810

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Decision Points by George W Bush

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I tried to read Das Kapital the other day but HOO BOY is marx a lovely boring writer

jesus christ 50 pages about 10 yards linen = 1 coat, but 1 coat = 10 yards linen, but 10 yards linen = 10 yards linen means nothing but is true. dude, i got it within the first of your thousand paragraphs on the subject

i want to continue reading it so I can pretend to be a snarky intellectual but it's really painfully bad

maybe im just not woke enough

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I tried to read Das Kapital the other day but HOO BOY is marx a lovely boring writer

jesus christ 50 pages about 10 yards linen = 1 coat, but 1 coat = 10 yards linen, but 10 yards linen = 10 yards linen means nothing but is true. dude, i got it within the first of your thousand paragraphs on the subject

i want to continue reading it so I can pretend to be a snarky intellectual but it's really painfully bad

dry and bad aren't the same thing imo. his writing is on the turgid side but for a serious work of economics and philosophy at the time the style is totally unremarkable.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Bitter Lake and Hypernormalisation by Adam Curtis

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

The Very Hungry Caterpillar raises a lot of thought provoking points about the body politic, essential reading

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

The Very Hungry Caterpillar raises a lot of thought provoking points about the body politic, essential reading

This is a great book about Marx's concept of CMC: caterpillar, moth, (baby) caterpillar

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Decision Points by George W Bush

Reading the "enemy's" side is actually a good thing to do to gain perspective about them. Though I haven't read that so I don't know if its propaganda trash or not.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sylink posted:

Reading the "enemy's" side is actually a good thing to do to gain perspective about them.

:jerkbag:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Skip the book and watch Metropolis instead. The mediator between the head and hands must be the heart.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

jsut read moby dick instead

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Skip the book and watch Metropolis instead. The mediator between the head and hands must be the heart.

And that heart was Hitler.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

plunkitt of tammany hall is good, just a collection of speeches by a tammany hall boss that are pretty interesting

don't buy it! available for free on project gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2810

this is dumb as hell and its great id swear trump was using it as an instruction manual but lol reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Sylink posted:

Reading the "enemy's" side is actually a good thing to do to gain perspective about them.

if you are opening a book with this mindset and are not a writer looking to pan it for the purpose of selling your own books you really need to re examine why you are reading in the first place. you impress nobody by scanning over texts with a closed mind.

• Locked thread