Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Higher Education is completely bonkers and Preposterous Sketches is a great card to put in your 0xp deck and then replace with Cryptic Research down the line. I mean they both draw 3 cards, but for spending 4XP you get the following upgrades:
1. Costs 0 instead of 2 resources
2. No longer require a clue on your location
3. No longer require an action
4. Can target another investigator at your location

The only drawback is losing the 2 skill icons. It's a pretty insane value upgrade.

I also really like Prepared for the Worst as a way to cut down on XP you need to invest in weapons and Lone Wolf is great for anyone with a deck which can reliably investigate and fight on their own.

I really like the way they're building Survivor as well, where you're going to just constantly be able to do things that you shouldn't be able to do at first sight. From that perspective Ashcan Pete is actually a bit of an odd survivor, as he can reliably do things he obviously can do because of the doggy. Survivors did get the worst permanent skillbooster of the lot though imo. Ofcourse on the other hand, between Scrapper and Dig Deep, they are the only faction to have boosters for all 4 stats in faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm outright surprised how god the rogue permanent skillbooster is. I mean, I know it's Jenny's thing, but still, I'd expect some strings attached like other classes have.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm outright surprised how god the rogue permanent skillbooster is. I mean, I know it's Jenny's thing, but still, I'd expect some strings attached like other classes have.

It's very flexible, but the +Agi rather than the +Com means Keen Eye might be better. In case anyone missed it, note Keen Eye is a boost until the end of the phase rather than the end of the test.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Oh, that makes more sense now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Blood On The Altar came out YESTERDAY and it's sold out everywhere except CSI. That's ridiculous.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

COOL CORN posted:

Blood On The Altar came out YESTERDAY and it's sold out everywhere except CSI. That's ridiculous.

Just find a place which does subscriptions. My FLGS didn't but I talked to the guy running it and now they do; I don't want to be bothered with chasing down packs, there are better things to do with my time :)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
My FLGS had it, but they've started ramping the price up cos of demand - the gouging bastards!

You know, I support local gaming and supply/demand economics etc., but that still leaves a bitter taste.

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010

Baron Snow posted:

I feel like I'm playing Rex Murphy correctly.

edit: but I'm not. gently caress.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

All aboard the Essex County Express! Here we go again, turn 1, loyal, furry kickball and concussion-riddled dropout ready to go. What could possibly go wrong this time?

fake edit: Ashcan Pete, the drifter, the loving homeless box car boy, managed to walk all over this one like it was nothing. This train-hopping hobo knows his goddamned trains.

What sleeves are you guys using? I've used Fantasy Flight sleeves in the past for other games but find that they stick out above the top of the card a bit much for my liking.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

lummawks posted:

What sleeves are you guys using? I've used Fantasy Flight sleeves in the past for other games but find that they stick out above the top of the card a bit much for my liking.

I've been using Dragon Shields clear matte for the investigator decks, and a combination of old leftover Dragon Shields clear (glossy) and FFG sleeves for the encounter decks.

The FFG sleeves do have a bit too much extra room for my taste as well, but they're cheap as hell and I keep everything sleeved for easy mixing of the encounter sets on a whim, so I use up a lot of sleeves.

COOL CORN posted:

That is ridiculous and I'm sorry. My store was only able to get a hold of twelve copies, and it's been a similar story with the other packs (and other games--Destiny is just as abysmal). If I could send you a copy I would, but Asmodee licensing is dumb, so I can't. :(

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Plavski posted:

My FLGS had it, but they've started ramping the price up cos of demand - the gouging bastards!

You know, I support local gaming and supply/demand economics etc., but that still leaves a bitter taste.

If these stores want to be stupid, then let them suffer. Let's say they mark it up $5 per pack, but then that causes a customer to not want to buy anything else for like a month because they were pissed. Was that really worth the $5 extra they made? I mean, how many packs do they even get assuming the packs are being heavily allocated? I have no sympathy for gaming stores like this. I wonder if FFG/Asmodee NA has some policy about something like this since they're so keen on supporting local stores? For sure, it looks bad for the company as well.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Plavski posted:

There's no point in supporting such a business. I thought FLGSes had a hard time already, without actively scaring customers off.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Plavski posted:

What were they charging?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Covenant has a subscription program and it's painless.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

What were they charging?

Mine also started marking up the arkham packs, I wanna say they're like, $17.95? What's MSRP, $14.95? It's petty and inconsequential but it irritates me and now I just order them online assuming they're ever in stock anywhere at all.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

lummawks posted:

I use Dragon Shield clear for encounter cards and Dragon Shield clear matte for investigator cards. Lets me tell them apart quick just by feel. Also Dragon Shields are just good sleeves in general.

And the new investigator cards are all pretty good imo. The permanent skillboosters all have a place if you can afford them, and I really like what the non-xp cards do for each faction.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Plavski posted:

That'd be the end of the line for me, it's already more money and more work to get most things from my FLGS

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah that's absolutely bullshit.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Dr. Clockwork posted:

What were they charging?

€15.50 for MM, €16 for Essex, €19 for Blood. I'm not exactly crying over an extra 3.50 a month, but packs are a fiver cheaper on chaoscards now, so I don't think I'll bother with there any more.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I love supporting B&M stores, but sometimes their pricing is absurd. One of my local shops has a game for $110 that I can get online for $64.99, and it's not out of stock anywhere or anything. Completely absurd.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Picked up Dunwich Legacy, but all the good builds I've seen use 2 core sets. :negative:

Guess I'll have to pick up another core set! Anyone else out there only using 1 core + Dunwich? How's it going for you? Any decklists to share?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

COOL CORN posted:

Picked up Dunwich Legacy, but all the good builds I've seen use 2 core sets. :negative:

Guess I'll have to pick up another core set! Anyone else out there only using 1 core + Dunwich? How's it going for you? Any decklists to share?

I just proxy anything I need that I can't do with one core.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Got incredibly lucky in our Blood on the Altar run and were in the endgame on turn 3. In and out in less than 30 minutes. It looked like a really cool scenario, but we walked right to the endpoint without breaking a sweat or even visiting most locations. Daisy got Pathfinder and Encyclopedia out and pulled the key and the hidden chamber on her first two locations, Zoey had nothing to do so set herself up with a shotgun and Leo de Luca. We went into the chamber on turn 3 and killed Silas with zero trouble. I know luck's the nature of the game for both good and ill, but I wish there was a little bit more balance to rule out extreme cases of success or failure.

That said, I'm still having a blast, and we ran Carnevale afterward, which we hadn't done yet in our Dunwich campaign. That scenario still might be my favorite so far.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Preview article for the Path to Carcosa deluxe expansion: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/17/the-path-to-carcosa/

Nothing terribly new for anyone who looked at the leaked spoilers earlier in the thread, but the new "hidden" mechanic on some of the encounter cards is an interesting design space to explore.

Also really looking forward to giving Lola Hayes a shot. I hadn't realized she could use level 0-3 from any class, so that will open up a whole host of options for interesting builds, moreso than the original level 0 only that I thought she was restricted to.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Preview article for the Path to Carcosa deluxe expansion: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/17/the-path-to-carcosa/

Nothing terribly new for anyone who looked at the leaked spoilers earlier in the thread, but the new "hidden" mechanic on some of the encounter cards is an interesting design space to explore.

Also really looking forward to giving Lola Hayes a shot. I hadn't realized she could use level 0-3 from any class, so that will open up a whole host of options for interesting builds, moreso than the original level 0 only that I thought she was restricted to.

This is going to add some weird multiplayer interactions.

"Okay so just use Pathfinder and you can get out of there"

"Nah, I'm not going to."

"What? Why not?"

"I'm just not, OK?"

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm not sure how you can really hide cards in this game since they usually go in a specific place.

Also playing two handed.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

COOL CORN posted:

I've just been proxying, but if you do turn the difficulty up a bit. We can faceroll through 'normal'

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Just played through Blood on the Altar on my solo run. That was... one concussion too many for Ashcan Pete's forgetful football friend. While Duke was busy gnawing on monster bones, Peter wandered off with a "friendly local nutritionist" who offered to show him, "this fabulous new diet to make you big and strong! Just come down to my cellar and I'll show you..."

:rip: Peter Sylvestre, I hope you're throwing a pigskin with the elder gods in the afterlife.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Haha, I just realized that Sylvestre forgets about the horror he's seen because of concussions, that's why the mechanic is what it is

...now I'm sad.

edit-- Have a 2nd core set coming to me, and I have all 3 mythos packs being set aside for me when more copies come in to my FLGS tomorrow. Woohoo, I'm gonna be caught up!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Haha, I just realized that Sylvestre forgets about the horror he's seen because of concussions, that's why the mechanic is what it is

Also why his health is so low.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

bobvonunheil posted:

This is going to add some weird multiplayer interactions.

"Okay so just use Pathfinder and you can get out of there"

"Nah, I'm not going to."

"What? Why not?"

"I'm just not, OK?"

This sort of thing happens in the Mansions of Madness 2nd edition game with the insanity cards and it works as awkwardly as you describe and it's not great. Honestly the effect here will end up being "you can't do [X]" which other players won't be aware of until you have an opportunity to do [X] and can't instead of just being public knowledge.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That kind of thing is sometimes what I do to really aggressive quarterbacks. Just do the opposite to teach them not to play out my turn for me. Collaboration in a co-op game is great, but some people get really extreme with the QBing.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
When I spend XP to upgrade a card, is the XP cost per copy of that card, or per playset of the card?

EDIT: Thank you! That makes more sense than per playset

Chairman Pow! fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 20, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Chairman Pow! posted:

When I spend XP to upgrade a card, is the XP cost per copy of that card, or per playset of the card?

Per copy. You don't have to upgrade all versions of a card at once.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey, is there an image pack for the OCTGN module? Trying to play with a friend but its a pain to have to remember what slots things take and the like

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
If there isn't one readily available, you might have to take the time to just go through arkhamdb.com and grab the images yourself.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 23, 2017

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah I downloaded all the images but have no idea how to put them into an art file for OCTGN. If anyone makes a pack, let me know!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah I downloaded all the images but have no idea how to put them into an art file for OCTGN. If anyone makes a pack, let me know!

If you have premium or wherever it's called, you can just drop the pictures into OCTGN itself for each card.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think you have to be a subscriber to make image packs

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Actually, looks like you can while unsubbed but its a pain in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

Actually, looks like you can while unsubbed but its a pain in the rear end

Yeah you have to make a folder for each card using its long UID string and it's just... ugh. Not worth it.