Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

It probably sounds ridiculous, but I shouted 'yes!' and slapped my knee when they announced Adam. I thought he was the weaker of the Logan-Adam team.

The Circus Freak family was goddamn awesome.

TV jumped right to the Cosplay show. Anybody know if the teams stay the same next week and Tyler/Emily/Logan are down a man, or will there be some kind of reshuffling or going down to individuals now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I like to think that Ben realized that he was being mediocre and bumped it up a notch because that wheelchair kid was creepy and awesome. It was my favorite individual look of the night.

But yeah, I really like Adam, but I agree that it was his time to go. Even in his original season he's been hit or miss, and he's been having way too many misses this season.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:lol: at Adam pushing for his team to switch the models around to make them more interesting (they were) and getting eliminated for it.

LadyPictureShow posted:

TV jumped right to the Cosplay show. Anybody know if the teams stay the same next week and Tyler/Emily/Logan are down a man, or will there be some kind of reshuffling or going down to individuals now?

I got the sense that it's going to be the teams formed in this episode. I'd rather they just deconstructed the teams and made it individual at this point.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The continuous flirting between George and guest judge Marcus Nispel was hilarious but also :3:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Shneak posted:

:lol: at Adam pushing for his team to switch the models around to make them more interesting (they were) and getting eliminated for it.

Go big or go home. Adam managed to do both.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It was pretty hilarious how Adam jokingly screwed over his team to start with ("No I'll choose the map! Ha ha I took the map you didn't want!") which directly lead to them getting the less fun option which sucked all the wind out of their sails. Then everyone else came up with all the character ideas and he just bitched and whined about how he didn't like those ideas without suggesting anything else, then he made one change which elevated someone else's character but pretty much ruined the character he was working on and got him booted out.

Evan and Ben made a reeeeeally smart move when they realised it was a wacky horror challenge and immediately teamed up with Cig and George before anyone else could say anything. :v:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Yeah Adam was needlessly a dick this episode and I was glad to see him go. Loved the circus family. Felt kind of bad for that model having to drool on herself the whole time (unless it was part of the makeup and I didn't catch it.)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I assumed the drool was some kind of makeup effect, like how SFX artists make slime for creatures, but I dunno.

Missed about the first 20 mins last night, hahaha Adam totally hosed himself/screwed the team.

E: Evan still wearing the Ben shirt/all of them wearing shirts w/their own faces at elimination was both hilarious and sadsack.

I had a dream the other night related to this show. My boyfriend and I were on the show and our draw for the challenge was 'electric skeleton'. Pretty much all of it was 'how the gently caress have we not been eliminated yet?!'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 22, 2017

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Labes for days posted:

Yeah Adam was needlessly a dick this episode and I was glad to see him go. Loved the circus family. Felt kind of bad for that model having to drool on herself the whole time (unless it was part of the makeup and I didn't catch it.)

That model always seems to really get into character so I wouldn't be surprised if that was her doing. Just watch her again during the close-up inspection, she was really selling a character that was in a panic from all the attention.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Adam was a poo poo that episode and self sabotaged.

With that said, the model who stood in for the father figure on that team really did zero with the character. Yeah just stand there, stare, perfect.

Also the midget in the wooden wheelchair on the Circus Freak Family was probably the grossest thing I've ever seen on this show. Straight up disturbing. That huge malformed head was just the nastiest thing I've ever seen and really hope it's exaggerated and no one has ever had to deal with something like that in real life.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Cosplay Melee show was also pretty good, it had pretty much the same tone as Face Off (contestants are friendly and supportive of each other, judges give good critiques) and the quality of the costumes was surprisingly good. I'm in for the rest of the season.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Not to get all :tinfoil: but I'm pretty sure Adam has wanted to go home for a few episodes now. He's been so negative, and then just started beaming when they announced he was eliminated.

At the end of the episode, I was kind of thinking the whole conceit of just eliminating one person on a week when, according to pattern, no one should have been eliminated might have been in order to accommodate him. Maybe a lucrative gig/opportunity came up, or maybe he just decided he hated it there after a few episodes.

Eliminating one team member and keeping Logan around feels to me like Adam wanted to leave the show, but Logan didn't, so rather than eliminate them as a team, they decided to let Logan hang around. I bet on the production schedule this was not supposed to be an elimination challenge.

The question now is, what the gently caress do they do with Logan? It's pretty unfair to make him do challenges meant for 2 people by himself, but it's also unfair to make a 3 person team.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

LabyaMynora posted:

Not to get all :tinfoil: but I'm pretty sure Adam has wanted to go home for a few episodes now. He's been so negative, and then just started beaming when they announced he was eliminated.

At the end of the episode, I was kind of thinking the whole conceit of just eliminating one person on a week when, according to pattern, no one should have been eliminated might have been in order to accommodate him. Maybe a lucrative gig/opportunity came up, or maybe he just decided he hated it there after a few episodes.

Eliminating one team member and keeping Logan around feels to me like Adam wanted to leave the show, but Logan didn't, so rather than eliminate them as a team, they decided to let Logan hang around. I bet on the production schedule this was not supposed to be an elimination challenge.

The question now is, what the gently caress do they do with Logan? It's pretty unfair to make him do challenges meant for 2 people by himself, but it's also unfair to make a 3 person team.

I would be really, really surprised if it wasn't planned that they would go to individuals this week. Didn't Mckenzie say it would be like that with eliminations every week from now on?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lifts cats over head posted:

That model always seems to really get into character so I wouldn't be surprised if that was her doing. Just watch her again during the close-up inspection, she was really selling a character that was in a panic from all the attention.

that model alongside the ballerina girl from a few episodes ago are by miles the best models in the later series', the last time I remember a model being so vividly good in everything they put them in was the lanky bony dude who did RJs bellhop tim burton character way back when

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i'm glad adam is gone even though I really like him a lot because I didn't like a single thing he did this week, I know the judges liked putting the kids makeup on the bigger model to give it more pop but even that I think was insane and was part of why his father character sucked so bad

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I know that, for the sake of TV drama, they have to make it seem like both teams are doing awesome, but Team Tylemilogan blew the other team out of the water this week. Really did not seem close at all to me.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I was hoping Evan would go home I really hate that loving brain hat.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dr Zaius posted:

I was hoping Evan would go home I really hate that loving brain hat.

I'm wondering if that stupid hat is like a good luck charm or something. It looks dumb, but c'mon, all of Team Sadsack's judging phase fashion choices were hilariously sad.

I was bummed to see Ben out this week, especially after he did such an amazing job on the hydrocephalus sculpt/makeup last week.

It seemed like the team sadsack curse still holds; Ben and Evan can nail it one week, but not the next. I kinda hope they split off the superteams and just go 'Logan and Evan, you're never gonna win, but have fun!'

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I liked the rat witches, but the tree witches were individually more interesting.

My husband and I really saw Ben's elimination coming though, because he'd been on the bottom more than once and then his makeup was the least well-realized this week.

The cosplay show is fun. I know nothing about Game of Thrones but the winning costume totally looked like a dwarf and we thought that was great. The white walker armor was pretty sick, too.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Johnny Longtorso posted:

I know that, for the sake of TV drama, they have to make it seem like both teams are doing awesome, but Team Tylemilogan blew the other team out of the water this week. Really did not seem close at all to me.

I thought it was really close. Rat Coven looked more unified as a concept but nothing stood out. Tree Coven had three makeups that all stood out individually though it didn't match the challenge as well. Tyler's witch might be my favourite of the season so far.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

For a while there it seemed like they were editing it to make it look like Emily was going home, but after a while it became pretty obvious that it was Ben's time to take a hike.

Both teams did pretty awesome in that challenge though, that was a cool episode.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

So is cosplay melee a competition more like face off, or more like Chopped, where each episode is a self contained contest? I fell asleep when it came on and forgot to record it. :(

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Cosplay Melee is more like Chopped. Four different contestants each episode; one gets cut after the first round, and after the second round they announce a winner.

The one thing I'm not clear on, is the show self-contained every episode, or will they take the winners from each episode and later in the season have them compete?

I like both Faceoff and CM, not only because it's interesting to see people make cool stuff, but a lot of the contestants seem really good-matured and helpful to one another. I haven't seen every season of Faceoff, did Syfy try to insert false drama on the show in early seasons? I feel like the most critical thing people have said about other contestants is like 'He spent too much time making a prop'

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I'm really liking Cosplay Melee as well.

LadyPictureShow posted:

The one thing I'm not clear on, is the show self-contained every episode, or will they take the winners from each episode and later in the season have them compete?

I'm guessing that they aren't going to have playoffs between the winners to find a grand winner because I'm pretty sure they'd have been hyping that angle from the start if they were. From googling around it looks like they're only going to have 6 episodes in this season so maybe they'll expand the concept in future seasons.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Labes for days posted:

My husband and I really saw Ben's elimination coming though, because he'd been on the bottom more than once and then his makeup was the least well-realized this week.

I like Ben but I knew he'd never make the finale. I'm glad he went out on a makeup that was "Really pretty good but just not QUIIIIITE as good" and not something lovely. Somehow there's way more pride going out in a "everybody's done really well this week" battle than there is hitting bottom.

I'm worried for Emily now though, if they drop super teams. She's a great painter but only a good molder (not exceptional) while Tyler is a great molder and, again, an acceptable painter. I think the reason their team has been dominating is they totally cover their weak spots perfectly and have the same taste in aesthetics.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm worried for Emily now though, if they drop super teams. She's a great painter but only a good molder (not exceptional) while Tyler is a great molder and, again, an acceptable painter. I think the reason their team has been dominating is they totally cover their weak spots perfectly and have the same taste in aesthetics.

Yeah, Emily and Tyler pretty much did solo work this episode and although Tyler covered all the bases Emily struggled with her sculpt which held her final result back. I think Evan will be the next to be eliminated but after that it'll really come down to whoever has an off day.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Shneak posted:

I thought it was really close. Rat Coven looked more unified as a concept but nothing stood out. Tree Coven had three makeups that all stood out individually though it didn't match the challenge as well. Tyler's witch might be my favourite of the season so far.

I agree. While I personally liked the rat cursed coven more because it felt more on the mark to the challenge, the tree cursed coven were good makeups as well.

I think that the only thing that tripped up the tree coven was that they were looking at each of the ingredients as individual components ( "we gotta do something that is a breath of a dying man! We gotta cover the willow and the sap!") instead of ingredients of a single curse. However, that's just nitpicking and doesn't detract from the final result too much.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

I haven't seen every season of Faceoff, did Syfy try to insert false drama on the show in early seasons? I feel like the most critical thing people have said about other contestants is like 'He spent too much time making a prop'

I don't think they ever tried to insert fake drama, but in season 1, the eventual winner and some girl seemed to be getting involved and there was speculation that he was helping her out a lot. She really ate poo poo in the challenge before the finale, where the contestants had to disguise themselves from a loved one and it was obvious that her mom recognized her right away and tried to act like she didn't.

So drama, but I don't think it was the kind the producers of the show tried to make happen.

Oh, sometimes Glenn gets weird and does poo poo like, "I HATE this makeup... for making it me LOVE it so much!" but I think that's more that he's bored than actually trying to do reality show fake drama poo poo. He's definitely the biggest ham of the judges and probably why he always announces the winner.

EDIT: Just remembered, there was a season where they seemed to have an actual crazy person as a contestant. When they introduced him and his previous work, it all looked like lovely claymation, and in the first episode of that season he flipped out on his partner and absolutely destroyed his sculpt. He walked off the show after being critiqued but before he could be officially eliminated. It seemed awkward and terrible for everyone involved. That may have been a producer's attempt at creating a "villain" that blew up in their face.

Rod Hoofhearted fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 3, 2017

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I think the closest they've come to a villain was that annoying woman(Autumn?) on Anthony's season

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

Cosplay Melee is more like Chopped. Four different contestants each episode; one gets cut after the first round, and after the second round they announce a winner.
If they're going to do it like chopped, go all the way and force them to use batshit crazy ingredients too.

"For this challenge, you must incorporate the following:

A clown wig
A cricket bat
A pair of used crocs"

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Mob posted:

I think the closest they've come to a villain was that annoying woman(Autumn?) on Anthony's season

Autumn had a poo poo attitude, but her work from before the show wasn't completely terrible. I think in her case, if she had no time limit, she could do competent work, but having to churn out big projects in less than 20 hours really exposed her as an amateur.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My boyfriend asked me if any contestants from previous seasons ever didn't complete a look for a challenge? Not things like Ben covering the rat-witch hands with fingerless gloves or a not so stellar paint job, but like a catastrophic gently caress-up.

Nothing's coming to mind except that one guy from season 5(?) that threw a fit and left on the first episode.

I'm betting Evan, Logan, or Emily is getting the axe tonight. But at the same time, with Adam gone, Logan had a pretty good showing on his own last week.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

Nothing's coming to mind except that one guy from season 5(?) that threw a fit and left on the first episode

That dude made a documentary about how faceoff is rigged and then made up his own documentary awards ceremony to give his film the prize

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

drowned in pussy juice posted:

That dude made a documentary about how faceoff is rigged and then made up his own documentary awards ceremony to give his film the prize

That's the genuine crazy person I was talking about... the man was so obviously unhinged that there's no way whoever evaluates talent didn't know it when they signed him on.

Just looked it up on wikipedia, and it was Season 3 (Laura's first season), his name was Joe Castro.

LadyPictureShow posted:

My boyfriend asked me if any contestants from previous seasons ever didn't complete a look for a challenge?

Laney walked off in the Rookies vs. Veterans season. She was good, but only wanted to do goth/anime female make-ups. After being called out on it a few times by the judges, there was a challenge where she was forced to do a male make-up and she just bailed. She was the last rookie standing. She was also a Suicide Girl and girlfriend to former Marilyn Manson guitarist Twiggy Ramirez.

After seeing that a few years back, where the Vets just dominated the rookies, I was shocked when Top Chef pulled the same thing this past season. And of course, the Vets fuckin' dominated that, too.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

My boyfriend asked me if any contestants from previous seasons ever didn't complete a look for a challenge? Not things like Ben covering the rat-witch hands with fingerless gloves or a not so stellar paint job, but like a catastrophic gently caress-up.

Nothing's coming to mind except that one guy from season 5(?) that threw a fit and left on the first episode.

I'm betting Evan, Logan, or Emily is getting the axe tonight. But at the same time, with Adam gone, Logan had a pretty good showing on his own last week.

There was a female contestant from I think season 5(?) named maybe ... Miranda ( all I really remember is her name started with an m) who put a makeup onstage with an incomplete paint job (as in, there was still unpainted skin showing), and everything she did paint was a flat, one-tone acid green. She came back in the vets vs. rookies season and did a lot better, if I remember correctly.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Not to get too technical here, but Evan's looked stupid as gently caress.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
Dear Face Off, unless the planet is covered in Dom Perignon, I don't think "liquid diamonds" is a thing.

That crooked turkey nose on Evan's was terrible.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Actually it's theorized that Neptune is covered in liquid diamond. But yes, Evan's was terrible on every front.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh drat, I was actually worried for George there. I don't usually get that invested in TV shows.
:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dr Zaius posted:

Not to get too technical here, but Evan's looked stupid as gently caress.

From far away it looked like a dick.

• Locked thread