Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Not to get all :tinfoil: but I'm pretty sure Adam has wanted to go home for a few episodes now. He's been so negative, and then just started beaming when they announced he was eliminated.

At the end of the episode, I was kind of thinking the whole conceit of just eliminating one person on a week when, according to pattern, no one should have been eliminated might have been in order to accommodate him. Maybe a lucrative gig/opportunity came up, or maybe he just decided he hated it there after a few episodes.

Eliminating one team member and keeping Logan around feels to me like Adam wanted to leave the show, but Logan didn't, so rather than eliminate them as a team, they decided to let Logan hang around. I bet on the production schedule this was not supposed to be an elimination challenge.

The question now is, what the gently caress do they do with Logan? It's pretty unfair to make him do challenges meant for 2 people by himself, but it's also unfair to make a 3 person team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

I haven't seen every season of Faceoff, did Syfy try to insert false drama on the show in early seasons? I feel like the most critical thing people have said about other contestants is like 'He spent too much time making a prop'

I don't think they ever tried to insert fake drama, but in season 1, the eventual winner and some girl seemed to be getting involved and there was speculation that he was helping her out a lot. She really ate poo poo in the challenge before the finale, where the contestants had to disguise themselves from a loved one and it was obvious that her mom recognized her right away and tried to act like she didn't.

So drama, but I don't think it was the kind the producers of the show tried to make happen.

Oh, sometimes Glenn gets weird and does poo poo like, "I HATE this makeup... for making it me LOVE it so much!" but I think that's more that he's bored than actually trying to do reality show fake drama poo poo. He's definitely the biggest ham of the judges and probably why he always announces the winner.

EDIT: Just remembered, there was a season where they seemed to have an actual crazy person as a contestant. When they introduced him and his previous work, it all looked like lovely claymation, and in the first episode of that season he flipped out on his partner and absolutely destroyed his sculpt. He walked off the show after being critiqued but before he could be officially eliminated. It seemed awkward and terrible for everyone involved. That may have been a producer's attempt at creating a "villain" that blew up in their face.

Rod Hoofhearted fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 3, 2017

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Mob posted:

I think the closest they've come to a villain was that annoying woman(Autumn?) on Anthony's season

Autumn had a poo poo attitude, but her work from before the show wasn't completely terrible. I think in her case, if she had no time limit, she could do competent work, but having to churn out big projects in less than 20 hours really exposed her as an amateur.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

drowned in pussy juice posted:

That dude made a documentary about how faceoff is rigged and then made up his own documentary awards ceremony to give his film the prize

That's the genuine crazy person I was talking about... the man was so obviously unhinged that there's no way whoever evaluates talent didn't know it when they signed him on.

Just looked it up on wikipedia, and it was Season 3 (Laura's first season), his name was Joe Castro.

LadyPictureShow posted:

My boyfriend asked me if any contestants from previous seasons ever didn't complete a look for a challenge?

Laney walked off in the Rookies vs. Veterans season. She was good, but only wanted to do goth/anime female make-ups. After being called out on it a few times by the judges, there was a challenge where she was forced to do a male make-up and she just bailed. She was the last rookie standing. She was also a Suicide Girl and girlfriend to former Marilyn Manson guitarist Twiggy Ramirez.

After seeing that a few years back, where the Vets just dominated the rookies, I was shocked when Top Chef pulled the same thing this past season. And of course, the Vets fuckin' dominated that, too.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dr Zaius posted:

Not to get too technical here, but Evan's looked stupid as gently caress.

From far away it looked like a dick.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Miz Kriss posted:

If you wanna talk crazy contestants, who was it that was pretty poo poo, only liked doing goth/horror makeups, and when she was eliminated, she kept saying they eliminated her because she was fat.

And for the record, I liked George's makeup, even if it was colored like an action figure. I didn't like Emily's actually. It felt like the big chunks of black veins covering 80% of the top of the head distracted from the overall look, but whatever.

Missy Munster. She was a full-on juggalo. Still not as crazy as that Joe guy from season 3.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

JuniperCake posted:

They just need to never do shops again.

I think the original idea was to have two established shops go against each other, losing a person every week. That would have been cool, and I feel like the one guy who owns a shop and is really good probably signed on to do *that* show. I can see how something like that would fall through for many reasons. No one wants to be the shop that lost Face Off. And while you're dicking around on Face Off, you're business is not making money.

But this season has just been abysmal. If they want to do nothing but team challenges, they need to completely redo the teams every week. No more of this send one person from the winning team to the losing team when the numbers get too uneven. Declare a winner and a runner-up every week and make them team captains next week and pick their team one at a time.

At this point I'm just hate-watching this show to see how they break their own rules in an attempt to keep it interesting. The guy who owns his own shop is going to win.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm kind of interested in the behind the scenes stuff for coming up with this season, like how they decided who would be placed initially on which team, and if they realized things would roll so ridiculously lop-sided.

I had to go to Syfy's website 'cuz I can't remember any of these contestant's names worth a poo poo... I think at some point the thought process was that Alan (the old guy) would balance out Andrew (the guy who owns a shop). But then they cut Alan after the second challenge, and whelp! (Not that Alan really seemed as formidable as Andrew in the first place...)

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Labes for days posted:

The finale was apparently worthy of so little notice that my DVR didn't record it. :v: Did Andrew win?

of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

GameFace... I dunno. I just watched someone get $10,000 for 3 lousy-ish make-ups. The final two were a real Sophie's Choice between two atrocious makeups. One of them literally stuck a drat rubber hose up their model's nose!

I've been saying for years, Face Off has been running into real talent issues the past few seasons. Not enough GOOD amateurs out there to sustain this show, especially twice a year.

This season's winner, Andrew, wasn't even an amateur! He owns a shop with 20 full time employees!

So instead of two Face Offs per year, they're going to try to bring back past Face Off contestants for Game Face to help replenish the talent pool for a yearly Face Off. I dunno if I'm going to keep watching GameFace tho.

Also, the photography or whatever of GameFace looks weird. Maybe they were trying to make it look like a gameshow, like Wheel of Fortune or whatever, but it just looks like crap. Kind of a local evening news look/feel to it.

• Locked thread