Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Welcome to Face Off! Face Off is a reality competition show where artists compete in weekly challenges to complete a SFX makeup in regards to pre-determined challenge themes and props. In case you thought you missed the last season you probably didn’t. Last year only one season aired at the beginning of the year and with the momentary break, season eleven looks like it will breathe new life into the competition again.

Why? Because it’s All-Stars! Believe it or not, this is the first ever season with a cast of alumni. Season Five had a Veterans vs. Fans theme and it produced some of the show’s best work.

CREW |

Mackenzie Westmore
Host and Creator of Westmore Beauty cosmetics.

Michael Westmore
Mentor and Oscar & Emmy Award-Winning Makeup Artist

Glenn Hetrick
Judge, Artist, Designer and CEO of Optic Nerve Studios

Ve Neill
Judge and Oscar & Emmy Award-Winning Makeup Artist

Neville Page
Judge, Concept Artist and Design Consultant

CAST |

Gage Hubbard
Runner-up from Season 1
Hometown: Willard, Utah
Residence: Los Angeles, CA

Cat Paschen
9th Place from Season 6
Hometown: San Francisco, CA

Niko Gonzalez
4th Place from Season 6
Hometown: San German, Puerto Rico

Tyler Green
Runner-up from Season 6
Hometown/Residence: Litchfield, Connecticut
Occupation: Special Effects Make-up Artist, Inventor and CEO of Creative Genius, LLC

Cig Neutron
Runner-up from Season 7
Hometown: New Castle, IN

George Troester
4th Place from Season 7
Hometown: Buffalo, NY
Residence: Panorama City, CA

Keaghlan Ashley
9th Place from Season 7
Hometown: Oxnard, CA

Rachael Wagner
7th Place from Season 7
Hometown: Chapel Hill, NC

Stella Sensel
5th Place from Season 7
Hometown: Milwaukee, WI
Residence: New York, NY
Occupation: Freelance Make-up Artist, specializing in special effects

Emily Serpico
Runner-up from Season 8
Hometown: West Palm Beach, FL
Residence: Orlando, FL

Logan Long
Runner-up from Season 8
Hometown: Park City, UT
Residence: Salt Lake City, UT

Adam Milicevic
5th Place from Season 8
Hometown: Merrillville, IN
Residence: Los Angeles, CA / Osaka, Japan

Ben Ploughman
Runner-up from Season 9
Hometown: Austin, TX

Evan Hedges

Runner-up from Season 9
Hometown: Boulder, CO
Residence: Denver, CO

Jasmine Ringo
9th Place from Season 9
Hometown: Atlanta, GA
Residence: Las Vegas, NV

Mel Ebbe
Runner-up from Season 10
Residence: Milwaukee, WI
Hometown: Milwaukee, WI

Season 11 begins on January 24th and airs weekly at 9 EST on SyFy and Space.

Shneak fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Reserved just in case.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm actually really stoked about this cast (seven runner-ups will be a bloodbath) except for Cat and Niko who I assume were a package deal. If they can make at least some interesting stuff then all power to them.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Oh this is a bizarre format. Teams of two and there's separate episodes for immunity and eliminations.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So I made an odd mistake: completely thought Melissa was Mel from last season who had short hair and glasses whereas Melissa didn't. Realized this halfway through the episode.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Cat and Niko are doing well to prove they deserved a spot in this cast. Their makeup was somewhat cliche and didn't display their character traits as much as Emily and Tyler's but it was definitely well made.

Jasmine and Stella deserved to go. Eliminations are going to be hard to swallow this season.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I like the two-person teams as well mostly because I can see them throwing 2+ makeups challenges at them not even halfway through the competition.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I hope they work with some of the contestants instead of just stealing ideas because there were some great makeups. Cig/George's looked fantastic, especially the wig and the beauty makeup that used prosthetics well. I don't know anything about Monster High but I'd like to have seen adaptions of other monsters (see: kaijus) and how bizarre that could look without a pre-designed doll.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Let's just pencil in Emily and Tyler for the finale goddamn

I actually found the bottom two about equal and neither were quite bad. The ice sculpture concept could have been good if it didn't look like marble and didn't use 2D paper forms in the crown. Even though Cat and Niko got eliminated faster than they did in their original season they had way better makeups in just the few that they did this season.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Second week where Adam fabricates a needlessly huge accessory that looks awesome, but needs texture work. They look so obviously hollow and plastic.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Crazy Ted posted:

That...was...the...clumsiest product placement I have ever seen.

"I hope y'all find inspiration in the most generic slogan ever."

I like how the judges threw Emily and Tyler under the bus to make it look like they didn't dominate another week. How it didn't fit the concept is beyond me. For real though, I loved Rachel literally just hacking off her own clothing during Second Last Looks.

I see Keaghlan and Mel easily going.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I thought it was the headdress and wig getting that attribution but now that I see the facepiece and forehead crown design, yeah, fair enough. I guess Mad Max needs some more inspiring radiated mutants.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Emily shaving and painting cotton onto the face is an insane technique. That's a texture I cannot even describe let alone create and apply myself.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

CommaToes posted:

I have only really watched this season.

Any recommendations on previous seasons that were fun and good?

Season 5 was a pseudo all-star season and is probably still the benchmark for the show. Season 7 also has an extremely talented cast with big personalities.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:lol: at Adam pushing for his team to switch the models around to make them more interesting (they were) and getting eliminated for it.

LadyPictureShow posted:

TV jumped right to the Cosplay show. Anybody know if the teams stay the same next week and Tyler/Emily/Logan are down a man, or will there be some kind of reshuffling or going down to individuals now?

I got the sense that it's going to be the teams formed in this episode. I'd rather they just deconstructed the teams and made it individual at this point.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Johnny Longtorso posted:

I know that, for the sake of TV drama, they have to make it seem like both teams are doing awesome, but Team Tylemilogan blew the other team out of the water this week. Really did not seem close at all to me.

I thought it was really close. Rat Coven looked more unified as a concept but nothing stood out. Tree Coven had three makeups that all stood out individually though it didn't match the challenge as well. Tyler's witch might be my favourite of the season so far.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So Season 12 starts on June 12. From a hiatus to barely a month's break in between.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Johnny Longtorso posted:

Looks like this was another case of past performance overcoming a bad week, because based solely on this week, Emily should have gone home.

Why do people keep violating the first rule of Face Off: "Never Do Lava"?

Nah. I thought Emily's face was rather good. Logan's was bad to the extent that I laughed every time I saw it. Way too much contrast in the face with the cracking + the fake plants + the moulded flowers.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:wtf: at George not getting eliminated. That 'wing' was unacceptable. It was a piece of foam painted barely metallic and attached with a rope? Conceptually Tyler's gargoyle looked more gothic than victorian but it was made super well. Just odd to see a better technique lose out to concept.

Emily's art deco bird is my favourite of the season. So good. I want her to win but I feel like Cig will slip by and defeat her.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That finale actually seemed anti-climactic to me. I expected it to be harder, and George may have lost for reasons beyond his control. I really wanted to see Emily finally win this one but Cig did deserve it. Props.

Next season looks weird. Two makeup companies against each other?... why should we care?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Pre-emptive bump because the new season starts on June 13th and there's been no cast reveal or anything :psyduck:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Man, I thought I fell super behind in this season but I've only missed two episodes. It feels like I've missed two month's worth.

Disappointed in the fairy tale challenge but the Dante's Inferno one was interesting. Only getting winning potential from Faina or Joseph though.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Shneak posted:

Only getting winning potential from Faina or Joseph though.

Well then...

I have no idea what happened there. His Winter was absolutely terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Suzanne's lady was the bizarre combination of a trainwreck but with a concept that probably could have got her top looks if she did it well. The stroke face and the plexiglass obscuring everything except the parts without makeup were... a choice. Props to her for finishing all that work in two days though :lol:

• Locked thread