Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I.N.R.I posted:

I do. I dont want to watch people getting possibly permanently messed up because of someone elses mistake

Agreed. As much as Browne sucks, I was glad to see him standing for the announcement. I'm still going to worry that he'll fall asleep backstage and never wake up after that. Even if you hate Browne, you need to acknowledge that if he dies as a result of a fight, there will be tons of Travis Browne tributes for months.

Bad refereeing. Sadly not even the worst this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Let's throw a few in here:

Knockout of the Year
Marc Diakiese def. Teemu Packalén KO (punch) UFC Fight Night: Manuwa vs Anderson

Post-Fight Interview
Marlon Vera and Brad Pickett have a tearful love-in after Vera secures a come-from-behind KO in Picket's home-town retirement fight on Fight Night: Manuwa vs Anderson:

Le Saboteur posted:

gently caress now I'm crying.

Soothing Vapors posted:

its just dusty in here

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MacDougall posted:

Whittaker smoking Jacare has to be nominated for something surely. Also that video of the girl nearly dying before the COACH jumped the fence to stop the fight almost made me throw up.

Then pick something and nominate him for it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I'm sure it won't win, but I think UFC 211 deserves a nomination for Card of the Year.

It has the unfortunate blemish of a Dave Branch UFC fight, but rather than second I'll give Alvarez-Poirier Rd 2 a round of the year nomination, even with the clusterfuck of a finish.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Let's throw Gus vs Glover in for some nominations here. Might not win, but we need nominations to make this poo poo function, right?

UFC Fight Night: Gustafsson vs. Teixeira
Fight of the Year - Alexander Gustafsson vs. Glover Teixeira

Knockout of the Year: Alexander Gustafsson

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skjorte posted:

Though I'm biased because he used to train at the same gym as me, I think Damir Hadzovic's KO of Marcin Held from Fight Night: Gustafsson vs. Teixiera deserves a nomination just for the sheer novelty of it. Other than Hellboy a decade ago, I don't think I've ever seen an Imanari roll countered like this. Looked like a video game with collision detection issues: https://twitter.com/UFCEurope/status/868834830292623360

It's a good nomination, too, as it got a POTN bonus, whereas Gus didn't.

Plus if oyu nominate you're now morally obligated to vote at year end.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

chaleski posted:

Till vs Cerrone, upset of the year? It wasn't THAT crazy but there aren't a lot of other candidates.

Nominations doesn't have to be the best, just good enough to discuss.

Maybe Till could be some kind of breakthrough nominee.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Knockout of the Year - Matt Brown flattens Diego Sanchez with a classic Matt Brown elbow at Fight Night: Poirier vs Pettis.

Big gently caress up award
The UFC Truck cuts to an empty press conference just as Matt Brown administers the above elbow.

The Kimbo vs DADA 5000 Memorial Award for Comedy in MMA
Andrei Arlovski fights a gigantic babby in a poo poo diaper at Fight Night: Poirier vs Pettis.

Let's add Round of the Year: Pettis vs Poirier round 2

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 12, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I guess we need "Jon Jones Award" nomination for Conor being coked up and scuffling with officials at Bellator 187 too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Worst card of the year - UFC Australia Tybura vs Werdum

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Knockout of the Year - Whoever the gently caress did this spinning hook kick as a counter to a high roundhouse:

https://i.imgur.com/Opy1ANV.mp4

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Yep, apparently that was one of only TWO strikes that Ngannou landed in the whole fight too :gonk:

the second one was the follow up on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fentry posted:

I'll make a new thread once the awards are done, if anything cool happens in tonight's fights post them here and they'll be added to the new thread

You know how to do your job, but I want to float the idea of reducing the number of awards. I was able to get it down to 11. A shorter core ballot could increase participation:

KO
Sub
Fight
Performance
Round
Fighter
Breakout
Comedy
Bad officials (refs + judges)
Event
Goon Favourites

• Locked thread