Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
I like the idea behind it, but since they can pile on so heavily it can ruin many situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Early game when your squishies are dying, tanks are great.

Later on you'll have made your team and they won't be so squishy or be better at dodge tanking.

Anyway, not every enemy in the game has hidden weapons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Debuffs is only really a thing to worry in Conquest. What's an unexplained thing in this game is that the enemy AI will not attack your unit if they literally can't damage it, so having a great tank is actually a detriment at times because its use as bait is effectively nullified.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'm pretty sure that AI quirk is CQ only. I feel like I remember enemies on BR charging into my dudes for 0 damage.

BR also doesn't have as many debuffs thrown around. Some of the maps in CQ really like their debuffs.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

It depends on the situation.

In defense chapters where waves upon waves are beelining for the end, you'll ideally want the enemy to suicide on you.

But sometimes you're just clearing the enemy, so you can just put your tank at a choke point and chip away at the enemy.
Sadly this doesn't work if you're trying to save the green npcs who will rush along into danger.

I guess it depends on the situation, just like every other strategy game.

There are chapters tanks are very useful. And some where they're not so useful.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Am I the only one who dislikes hidden weapons and the constant stat debuffing? I find it's far too easy to not have any tanks in this game as the debuffs pile on.

Poison from ninjas is way worse for tanks than debuffs are.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017

Cuntellectual posted:

I second this, while debuffs can be very detrimental (especially when stacked), poison is guaranteed to take out 1/5 of your unit's health as long as the user of poison initiates the attack, even if they miss. Even worse is when you have both of these things working in conjunction on a unit with low HP and Def. Then things will go to poo poo very quickly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Also, screw stacked poisons. Isn't there a combo that drops the target down to one health?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

Also, screw stacked poisons. Isn't there a combo that drops the target down to one health?

There's a few traits that do automatic percentile damage after a successful attack even if it hits for 0 damage. The first time I played through Conquest, I got Savage Blow and Poison Strike on a character, meaning that every time she attacked, she did 20% mHP damage to the target, and then another 20% mHP to the target and every enemy two tiles around the target. It was like she had a rocket launcher instead of a bow. :v:

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Not without some finicky personal skills coming into play, a handful of units could stack up 60% flat damage on the attack; but that involves the unit logbook realistically speaking.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Every run I've had with a particular tank you get on the Conquest/Revelation routes has made me go "are you a knight or a myrmidon where did that speed come from," so if it's not abnormal and she actually DOES get that growth normally, well...

I'd say the game has a way of making your tanks proper tanks when factoring the new mechanics.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Effie's (not sure why we're acting like this a real spoiler but whatever) speed growth is like 55%, so yeah, it's weirder if she doesn't turn out with at least average speed since her base isn't godawful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shei-kun posted:

Every run I've had with a particular tank you get on the Conquest/Revelation routes has made me go "are you a knight or a myrmidon where did that speed come from," so if it's not abnormal and she actually DOES get that growth normally, well...

I'd say the game has a way of making your tanks proper tanks when factoring the new mechanics.

The pink one? She's got 55% speed growth in that class. About 20% less def/hp than the other option, but it takes relatively few good rolls to turn her into a monster.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, she's actually probably a Mercenary/Samurai in disguise (makes sense since she's basically the counterpart to another character on the Birthright route).

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
A lot of characters have really strange growths in this game, relative to their classes. Most of those characters are in Birthright, but there are some weird ones in Conquest as well.

While growths aren't as ridiculously high as they were in Awakening, especially HP growths, they are still high enough that it's pretty tough for any character to get so badly RNG screwed that they are unusable.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cuntellectual posted:

My least favorite thing with hidden weapons is when they're combined with Lunge (I think that's what it's called?)- the skill that swaps positions of the attacker and target. Yeah, I really wanted to have my nice chokepoint formation utterly ruined, and now my tank got pulled into the middle of a swarm of enemies and is slowly getting plinked and debuffed to death. Thanks, game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Waiit
Debuffs
Hidden weapons
Bullshit skills

I thought these were all universally agreed upon bad ideas when they were discussed in FE threads, and especially in FE romhack/fangame design.
Mainly because the flow of the puzzle gameish gameplay of FE gets disrupted by all of those things and throws much more to random chance.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Waiit
Debuffs
Hidden weapons
Bullshit skills

I thought these were all universally agreed upon bad ideas when they were discussed in FE threads, and especially in FE romhack/fangame design.
Mainly because the flow of the puzzle gameish gameplay of FE gets disrupted by all of those things and throws much more to random chance.

I wasn't a part of any of those conversations, but I have zero issue with debuffs. As long as you prepare yourself for worst case scenario, they are not very difficult to deal with. Even in the rare cases where debuffs can stack, they only make you take a few more turns to deal with it, at worst.

In terms of puzzle-like flow of FE, I think Lunatic Conquest is the best it has ever been in the series. They took out a lot of the random elements that was in Lunatic+ Awakening, and the enemy formations are tightly designed. There is only two skills that can really be considered unfair in the hands of the enemy (which only show up in Lunatic Conquest anyway) and both are fairly simple to play around.

My only issue with Hidden Weapons is that by being 1-2 range weapons with no drawback besides slightly lower might, they make the other physical weapon types in this game much less useful, to the point of almost being the only weapon type worth using. The change to 1-2 range physical weapons is also what makes a couple units strictly better than most others, but we'll get there when we get there.

ohmygorgon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 30, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Waiit
Debuffs
Hidden weapons
Bullshit skills

They are complications, but they can be adjusted for. Throwing them in without accounting for them is the bad idea. Generally Birthright is a straight "my numbers are bigger" brawler, Conquest has enemy skill gimmick fights (one map's full of low-strength guys with hidden weapons for example, while another has traps where an enemy can pull you out of a choke point) where there's fewer enemies but you need to check them before charging in, and Revelations has more of an emphasis on terrain gimmicks. In all cases they avoid "oh, this random guy has lethality" or other RNG screw-overs.

Whether they do *enough* to balance out the potential bullshit when it occurs can be a matter of opinion, but it's something they tried to design around.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Waiit
Debuffs
Hidden weapons
Bullshit skills

At least in Conquest the game feels really well-tuned in terms of the overall power level of skills and weapons, both in terms of what's available to the player and what's available to the computer. I'd consider myself to be an average player and I had a hell of a time beating the game on hard/classic. A *lot* of people get stuck on the final missions, and it's not because of RNG bullshit; the game throws enemies at you that stack skills and equipment in interesting and challenging ways and you have to think to overcome it instead of it just feeling like a turn-based Musou game like Awakening or Birthright.

That being said there's still some really overpowered stuff the player has access to, and even Conquest can be bruteforced if you abuse the multiplayer stuff to get tons of skills way before you should have them.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Heya Mantis! If you don't mind, could you have the link to my FE4 LP mention that it's an AAAA Ranked Run? So instead of it seeming like it goes to a regular playthrough, it goes to an AAAA Ranked run instead? I'd appreciate that, but you don't have to :) .

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
No problem Fionorde! I'll adjust it when I get home tonight. I apologize for my lack of activity but the last few weeks have been chaotic. Ch. 3 is in progress and I hope to release it soon.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Mantis, if it's not too much, can you give your opinions on each individual personal skill we have? Right now it's just Corrin's Supportive and Gunter/Jakob's Forceful/Evasive Partner.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
Hey everyone. I just want to apologize for taking so long with this update and let you guys know this LP is not dead. Due to some personal issues that have been taking up my time I haven't worked on this LP as much as I would've liked to but I intend to have the next update posted within the week. Thank you all for your understanding.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Don't worry about it - real life is always more important that playing video games for strangers on the internet :)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mantis314 posted:

Hey everyone. I just want to apologize for taking so long with this update and let you guys know this LP is not dead. Due to some personal issues that have been taking up my time I haven't worked on this LP as much as I would've liked to but I intend to have the next update posted within the week. Thank you all for your understanding.
Hope you come back to this. The low effort LP is a bit too low-effort for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017
Things have finally started slowing down and I'm on spring break so I've got some free time. I'm going to bust my butt to have an update by this Sunday!

• Locked thread