Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
i'd hope not, because if people with bad opinions went away to gulags then somethingawful wouldn't have anybody to make fun of, except people in gulags, and that gets old after awhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think its probably ok for it to be illegal. Fortunately legality and morality are so far removed that we can keep punching stupid racist neo nazis and other conservatives in the face and laughing at them.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I don't think we're supposed to tolerate evil by definition.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Yes, but Nazis are the exception, OP. Don't be an non-patriotic pussy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's good that the law and morality are two different things, because it should not be legal to assault people, but it is morally correct to assault Nazis.

Not an emptyquote.

Antifa have been punching Nazis for ages. It's a good thing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

serioustalk: i had no idea who richard spencer was until he got punched in the face, now suddenly i'm seeing him everywhere and he has a platform to play victim on and be listened to, because he got punched in the face

i suspect i'm not the only person who learned about richard spencer this way

what i'm saying is that punching people because you don't like their opinions seems pretty dumb and counterproductive, moral arguments notwithstanding

shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

serioustalk: i had no idea who richard spencer was until he got punched in the face, now suddenly i'm seeing him everywhere and he has a platform to play victim on and be listened to, because he got punched in the face

i suspect i'm not the only person who learned about richard spencer this way

what i'm saying is that punching people because you don't like their opinions seems pretty dumb and counterproductive, moral arguments notwithstanding

I'm sorry you haven't been paying attention to the news. He had a huge article on NYT not too long ago.

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

shut the gently caress up

This is place is going downhill fast. You should kill yourself.

Or maybe I should? Ah, who knows shut the gently caress up.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

BlackIronHeart posted:

If you sympathize with Richard Spencer for getting punched in the face, that literally makes you a Nazi sympathizer. If you're okay with that, you should consider punching yourself in the face.

punch this nazi scum

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Deep Thought posted:

Quoted so you can't edit it out later.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Deep Thought posted:

Actually instead of killing himself he should punch Nazis.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

I'm sorry you haven't been paying attention to the news. He had a huge article on NYT not too long ago.

yeah i don't read the ny times, like most people, and i suspect i didn't see the article linked or tweeted or anything because drawing attention to articles written by nazis is considered kinda weird and bad

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
like maybe not weird enough to punch someone over but weird enough to say "dude stop retweeting that nazi poo poo"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

yeah i don't read the ny times, like most people, and i suspect i didn't see the article linked or tweeted or anything because drawing attention to articles written by nazis is considered kinda weird and bad

Really?

I'm sorry you are proud of your ignorance and seem to be happy surrounding yourself with ignorant people.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/richard-spencer-speech-npi/508379/

Here's an Atlantic article on the guy. This was big news for a while.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

people aren't problems, yo

maybe their opinions are lovely but opinions aren't problems either unless those opinions get acted on in a harmful way, then those actions do get pretty punchworthy

no one's listened to a spencer interview and immediately gone and thrown all their jewish neighbors in a concentration camp afaik, could be wrong though, things can get pretty fuckin weird in the rednecky parts of the 'states

Nazism is harmful. There's no non-harmful way to put nazism into action. Some opinions, like nazism, are dangerous and harmful on their own and you shouldn't just stand around going "well they haven't actually carried out their horrific ideals yet." Try to think of nazism as essentially conspiracy to commit genocide.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Edit: Please don't post links to crowdfunders

Donate to help an antifa that wasn't punched by the forces of reaction.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Really?

I'm sorry you are proud of your ignorance and seem to be happy surrounding yourself with ignorant people.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/richard-spencer-speech-npi/508379/

Here's an Atlantic article on the guy. This was big news for a while.

cool, i admit i've been a bit lost as to what news sites to follow lately, was reading cnn for awhile and it seemed to be nothing but "Trump tweets a thing" 24/7

might start following the new york times if it's considered trustworthy

Higsian posted:

Nazism is harmful. There's no non-harmful way to put nazism into action. Some opinions, like nazism, are dangerous and harmful on their own and you shouldn't just stand around going "well they haven't actually carried out their horrific ideals yet." Try to think of nazism as essentially conspiracy to commit genocide.

it might be that i don't quite understand neo-naziism the same way as naziism, which has a horrible, twisted logic that once managed to convince people but i don't see it as capable of doing anymore, particularly not in the us

having read about naziism a bit, my own opinion of it is that its ideas such as "germans are the ubermensch" and "mass collectivization and nationalization of the population and erasure of the individual" were once new and untested and thus managed to persuade a shitton of people to do a shitton of horrible things, but those ideas lack the mass appeal they once had

i don't know what neo-naziism uses to spackle over naziism's shittiest and most obviously hosed ideas, and should maybe read about it to figure out what makes it so dangerous :shobon:

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Calls for ethnic cleansing should have serious consequences. Racists should be scared. The resistance in WWII engaged in extreme illegal and unethical behavior that would make the average liberal today blanch and it turns out that's what's effective at combating fascists. The ones who insisted on fighting with words and a call to morals watched their countries get swept up in the turmoil by the nazis they failed to oppose. Whether it should be legal is not what should be focused on in this scenario, Spencer is afraid now, you will never convince me that's not loving worth it.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Well the main difference between nazism and neo-nazism is the neo kind don't care so much about the economic parts of nazism and just jump straight to the white supremacy and kill all the untermenschen parts.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
There's no actual serious economic parts to nazism, they tried to be everything for everyone and ultimately just kinda ended up having to loot the poo poo out of everything to even maintain a semblance of a functional economy with no economic program in sight. The first thing they did in power included privatizing just about everything that was formerly nationalized.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Just because your economic policies are terrible doesn't mean you don't have them. Ask Republicans.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
white nationalism at least hides itself in good feeling economic populism very often

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Legal if it is against open Nazis.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Higsian posted:

Well the main difference between nazism and neo-nazism is the neo kind don't care so much about the economic parts of nazism and just jump straight to the white supremacy and kill all the untermenschen parts.

cool, that's a good summary of it to start on

the issue, i suppose, comes down to the question of how many people are susceptible to taking up and acting harmfully upon white supremacist ideas if exposed to those ideas

and that question is one i'll have to think about

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

cool, that's a good summary of it to start on

the issue, i suppose, comes down to the question of how many people are susceptible to taking up and acting harmfully upon white supremacist ideas if exposed to those ideas

and that question is one i'll have to think about

All you need is one rear end in a top hat true believer and a bunch of other gullible assholes good at following orders.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SSNeoman posted:

Okay gently caress it this topic is a piece of poo poo anyway so I'll :shrek: it up.

When the gently caress did you Pure Leftists™ become such loving pussies? You were uncompromising in your beliefs leading up to the election, but now with protests and Nazis being punched you're suddenly clutching your pearls. What the gently caress happened? Did your balls drop?

EDIT: I assume you're leftists cause if not then you're a Nazi supporter in which case go gently caress yourself.
Hogge Wild is a boring concern troll, which isn't quite as bad as being a Nazi supporter but it's close.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

TomViolence posted:

All you need is one rear end in a top hat true believer and a bunch of other gullible assholes good at following orders.

the problem i have here is that if one true believer is all it takes to make an idea too dangerous to be allowed into the public, questions get raised about an assload of ideas besides basic white supremacy

basically every religion ever, for instance, and only particularly weird and fat people think religion is worth punching over

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
i saw a video of one of those people pouring hot oil all over his dick once

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Guys like Spencer are going to start arming themselves in public and someone is going to end up getting shot.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

blowfish posted:

one day you will be out of your depth and you won't know how to politics about a particular issue and then a nazi will punch you in the face and install a dictatorship
no he won't because we punched him in the face first and now he's whining about being scared to leave the house, and trying to save face by accusing the person who punched him of being a poo poo-eating masochist sex-haver

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

AARO posted:

Guys like Spencer are going to start arming themselves in public and someone is going to end up getting shot.

discharging a firearm in washington dc under any circumstance sounds like a great way to get capped by a police sniper

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

the problem i have here is that if one true believer is all it takes to make an idea too dangerous to be allowed into the public, questions get raised about an assload of ideas besides basic white supremacy

basically every religion ever, for instance, and only particularly weird and fat people think religion is worth punching over

There are vanishingly few religions that openly advocate genocide these days. I mean I'm sure there's a couple and a pedantically literalist reading of any major religious text could probably turn up a few calls for ethnic cleansing, but come the gently caress on. If somebody's out there being politely indulged by the mainstream media while they try and put a respectful gloss on the wholesale murder of blacks, jews, gays and the like while appropriating the symbols of one of the most brutally efficient genocidal regimes in history I reckon a punch to the face is the bare minimum of what they're owed.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

discharging a firearm in washington dc under any circumstance sounds like a great way to get capped by a police sniper

The punchers will still be shot.

AARO fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 22, 2017

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

TomViolence posted:

There are vanishingly few religions that openly advocate genocide these days. I mean I'm sure there's a couple and a pedantically literalist reading of any major religious text could probably turn up a few calls for ethnic cleansing, but come the gently caress on. If somebody's out there being politely indulged by the mainstream media while they try and put a respectful gloss on the wholesale murder of blacks, jews, gays and the like while appropriating the symbols of one of the most brutally efficient genocidal regimes in history I reckon a punch to the face is the bare minimum of what they're owed.

genocide's a hell of a lot more difficult to pull off than just murdering some poor fucker, like in order to start a right and proper genocide of some county of the united states you'll need thousands of thoroughly indoctrinated neo-nazis working surreptitiously

whereas to murder some dude, or a bunch of dudes, you just need some radicalized rear end in a top hat who screams Deus Vult and has a gun and/or truck, and that happens all the time as opposed to nazi killings, which at least to my knowledge aren't as common as they used to be

granted, it's funner to punch out nazis than christians, i'll give you that

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"Genocide requires absolutely committed nazis", says person who has never heard of Hannah Arendt

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
yeah we tried to genocide platte county the other day but not everyone was committed enough so we just threw all our razor wire and zyklon b back in the pickup and went home

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
People who unironically advocate genocidal policies - like, literally, in real life - probably don't have much room to complain if they get punched by someone who objects to their "mass murder of minorities" policy, I M H O.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

[gazing upon aged pictures of cattle cars filled with bodies, mass graves filled with women and children, and black bodies swinging in the summer breeze]

"if you punch them you're only lowering yourself to their level!"

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
i think this might be more productive if we do a thought exercise: what would a modern-day organized uprising of neo-nazis in the united states look like, how would that work/get anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
They won't have to do an uprising. Neonazis won through an alliance of convenience with center-right parties in the Reichstag. Then every horrible policy they wanted to enact became law.

• Locked thread