Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
now i'm just confused, are you talking about neonazis later in history or just nazi nazis doing their nazi thing in the twenties and thirties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

i think this might be more productive if we do a thought exercise: what would a modern-day organized uprising of neo-nazis in the united states look like, how would that work/get anywhere

Um, I think their candidate was just inaugurated.

Less glibly, American nazis would probably commit their pogroms by proxy through giving blanket support to agents of state power that discriminate against and violently attack minority groups with relative impunity as a matter of course.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also any of you guys going "i had never heard of him until now" should probably keep it yourselves because it makes you look pretty ignorant about following the election and poo poo.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

i think this might be more productive if we do a thought exercise: what would a modern-day organized uprising of neo-nazis in the united states look like, how would that work/get anywhere

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I'm saying that neonazis have been working on cleaning up their image to get back in power the exact same way the original nazis did. And it's working. So yes, they should be made afraid to show their faces in the streets.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

probably by getting a candidate elected that already has ties to the neo-nazi movement, and then working to make sure that person's cabinet / advisors are all members of the movement. once you have that initial influence you pass laws that suppress dissent and make it harder for political opponents to get elected. slowly, step by step, you then fill elected offices with movement members. then you wait for a catastrophic event or if necessary engineer one and use that to pass state of emergency laws that make sure power is fully in your hands.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

TomViolence posted:

Less glibly, American nazis would probably commit their pogroms by proxy through giving blanket support to agents of state power that discriminate against and violently attack minority groups with relative impunity as a matter of course.

like is this the kind of thing that can be done by a few committed nazis working in secret who found out about the nazi thing from a joseph spencer (wait is his first name joseph) article, or would it take a hundred thousand nazis with a secret plan to first install and then control a leader they can count on to do their bidding

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

nice one

botany posted:

probably by getting a candidate elected that already has ties to the neo-nazi movement, and then working to make sure that person's cabinet / advisors are all members of the movement. once you have that initial influence you pass laws that suppress dissent and make it harder for political opponents to get elected. slowly, step by step, you then fill elected offices with movement members. then you wait for a catastrophic event or if necessary engineer one and use that to pass state of emergency laws that make sure power is fully in your hands.

and is this possibility proximate enough to justify reflexive violence against people expressing neo-nazi ideas now, or is the violence happening simply reflexively because it's fun and acceptable to punch a nazi

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

like is this the kind of thing that can be done by a few committed nazis working in secret who found out about the nazi thing from a joseph spencer (wait is his first name joseph) article, or would it take a hundred thousand nazis with a secret plan to first install and then control a leader they can count on to do their bidding

Actually I was mostly referring to the system of white supremacy that already exists, in which police unaccountably and disproportionately murder and imprison black people and have a great deal of support from the general populace in doing so. So, you know, since the policy of state terror and repression is already in place all the nazis have to do is work to intensify it by participating in grass roots right wing politics. And doing media interviews to give it a presentable face.

A presentable face which needs punching.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

nice one

and is this possibility proximate enough to justify reflexive violence against people expressing neo-nazi ideas now, or is the violence happening simply reflexively because it's fun and acceptable to punch a nazi

violence against people who think we should genocide the black population is always justified, regardless of the current political situation. but on top of that the scenario i described is also plausible enough to make direct action justified in any case. that it's fun is a bonus, imo.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

nice one

Yes it is.
It's already well established that they're going to start with the courts, too

Start loving up Nazis today

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

botany posted:

violence against people who think we should genocide the black population is always justified

What other thoughts justify violence against the thought criminal?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

TomViolence posted:

Actually I was mostly referring to the system of white supremacy that already exists, in which police unaccountably and disproportionately murder and imprison black people and have a great deal of support from the general populace in doing so. So, you know, since the policy of state terror and repression is already in place all the nazis have to do is work to intensify it by participating in grass roots right wing politics. And doing media interviews to give it a presentable face.

A presentable face which needs punching.

see, whether or not our system is innately white supremacist/controlled by white supremacists is somewhat contested, and not something i know enough about to have a debatable opinion on

i'm afraid we're starting to reach an impasse, though discussing this sort of thing is enjoyable

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

see, whether or not our system is innately white supremacist/controlled by white supremacists is somewhat contested

anyone who contests it is wrong.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

AARO posted:

Hey, people can think what they like. When they decide to get up on a stage and get everyone doing roman salutes while spouting white nationalist rhetoric, however, that steps beyond thought or even speech and becomes political action. Politics is power, and whether abstracted or not in the end political power translates into violence.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

see, whether or not our system is innately white supremacist/controlled by white supremacists is somewhat contested

yeah so is global warming

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

You know they're already in the white house, right? That Trump was endorsed by the KKK before the election? That his speech was written by a white supremacist anti-semite who is also one of his closest aides? That the "america first" slogan was used in WWII to discourage retaliation against the nazis?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

AARO posted:

"Agitating for genocide on national media is really just another idea"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It's not really hard to get a lot of influence in local or regional government, and one of Trump's senior advisors is a white supremacist.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

TomViolence posted:

Hey, people can think what they like. When they decide to get up on a stage and get everyone doing roman salutes while spouting white nationalist rhetoric, however, that steps beyond thought or even speech and becomes political action. Politics is power, and whether abstracted or not in the end political power translates into violence.

Actually botany said just the thoughts themselves justify violence against the thinker. I'd like to know what other thoughts people have I can justifiably inflict violence on them for.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

AARO posted:

that guy openly, repeatedly called for the genocide of black people and you're indignant about him getting socked in the face.

edit: jesus christ, let me spell it out for you then since my post was apparently so difficult to understand: i don't give a poo poo about your innermost feelings, i care about actions. openly calling for genocide gets you punched in the face. hope this helps clear up this unavoidable confusion

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

AARO posted:

Actually botany said just the thoughts themselves justify violence against the thinker. I'd like to know what other thoughts people have I can inflict violence on them for.

Quit the tedious concern trolling and try sitting at the grownups' table for a bit. I might let you have some of my beer if you behave.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

yeah so is global warming

at this point its probably also ok to commit violence against any persons or institutions that are climate deniers because of the danger of potential life lost due to climate change

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

botany posted:

that guy openly, repeatedly called for the genocide of black people and you're indignant about him getting socked in the face.

You said it was justified to inflict violence on him for what he thinks. Are you changing your mind now and saying it's only ok to do violence against people who "call for" X?

edit: Ok I see now that you are sloppy and imprecise in the things you say.

AARO fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 22, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Deep Thought posted:

Yes their balls dropped. They're adults now and don't go for the 'I must be a stong man because I endorse violence by proxy' thing.

It sounds like you don't understand puberty and that deflates your rhetoric. It either skipped you over or you are too young. Or you could be an alien with a bare patch, I don't know. Ok, that's an insensitive remark to make. I'll just assume you're not a real SS 'new' man but are in fact a hot-blooded woman who wants her 10 nazi scalps now, but must use feminine intuition to get them, which is to say by psychologically kicking men in the balls until they agree to do it for her.

I could be wrong on all counts, maybe you have a complex viewpoint where non-violence is a sign of maturity but also of being a pussy?

its like looking into a shitposting kaleidoscope

goddamn dude

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Doorknob Slobber posted:

at this point its probably also ok to commit violence against any persons or institutions that are climate deniers because of the danger of potential life lost due to climate change

Global warming has no bias, maybe it'll kill more nazis than liberals would? Bring it on

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not really hard to get a lot of influence in local or regional government, and one of Trump's senior advisors is a white supremacist.

how many steps removed is it from expressing an opinion to someone hearing and adopting that opinion to becoming influential in a government position, and how many more steps is it from there to enacting or reinforcing potentially white supremacist or genocidal policies

yellowyams posted:

You know they're already in the white house, right? That Trump was endorsed by the KKK before the election? That his speech was written by a white supremacist anti-semite who is also one of his closest aides? That the "america first" slogan was used in WWII to discourage retaliation against the nazis?

this is getting a bit weird

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

AARO posted:

pretty much anything where you're directly calling for the organized mass murder of human beings, unless those human beings are themselves en masse calling for organized mass murder

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's good that the law and morality are two different things, because it should not be legal to assault people, but it is morally correct to assault Nazis.

This is basically where I am at.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

AARO posted:

You said it was justified to inflict violence on him for what he thinks. Are you changing your mind now and saying it's only ok to do violence against people who "call for" X?

when people call for the dehumanization and genocide of other people and turn it into their sociopolitical platform?

HELL

YEAH

I

loving

DO

That's what you X is in that example. please remember that. it's not something up in the air, it's Literal Nazi rhetoric

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Which parts? America first? Trump endorsed by KKK? Trump's speech written by a white nationalist?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

AARO posted:

edit: Ok I see now that you are sloppy and imprecise in the things you say.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

everything he said is true.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
this is what civil society defending itself from barbarism looks like, maybe you should deal with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn_XZeQRdts

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

how many steps removed is it from expressing an opinion to someone hearing and adopting that opinion to becoming influential in a government position, and how many more steps is it from there to enacting or reinforcing potentially white supremacist or genocidal policies

You're talking about white supremacists getting into power, but they never really got kicked out of power in the first place. There are already plenty of white supremacists in influential government positions pushing white supremacist policies, they're just limited in how much they can get away with being open about it. That's why Jeff "too openly racist for the 1980s" Sessions is being floated for a cabinet position again, and making sure to point out how many civil rights cases he signed paperwork on this time.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i like that most of the goons in favor of assaulting richard spencer are afraid to express that opinion in any way other than whiny sarcasm

I support the guy who punched Richard Spencer and would still support him unironically if he had murdered Spencer instead. Is that better?

Nazis don't deserve life imo

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
You guys are just making up your own rules. Why should anyone listen to you? You have no principles, you just make up your own morality as you go along.

"He 'calls for' genocide so I can justifiably punch him." This is incorrect. Those who respect constitutional rights know that "No matter what he 'calls for' you cannot justifiably punch him solely based on that act of calling for something." It is not ok to inflict violence on people solely on the basis of them expressing their thoughts, regardless of how abhorrent their thoughts may be.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

AARO posted:

"He 'calls for' genocide so I can justifiably punch him." This is incorrect. Those who respect constitutional rights know that

The constitution is a loving joke that mostly only applies to privileged people anyways

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

maybe he shouldn't advocate genocide if he doesn't want to get hit? the blame lies ultimately with him, not the puncher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AARO posted:

You guys are just making up your own rules. Why should anyone listen to you? You have no principles, you just make up your own morality as you go along.

"He 'calls for' genocide so I can justifiably punch him." This is incorrect. Those who respect constitutional rights know that "No matter what he 'calls for' you cannot justifiably punch him solely based on that act of calling for something." It is not ok to inflict violence on people solely on the basis of them expressing their thoughts, regardless of how abhorrent their thoughts may be.

Constitutional rights just mean the government can't punch you for saying things. The First Amendment doesn't immunize people from any and all potential consequences of their speech, it only prevents the government from punishing them for speech. If private individuals want to punish someone for their speech, go ahead, there's no law against that.

• Locked thread