Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Who What Now posted:

It wasn't saying MLK didn't accomplish anything, it was saying MLK was wrong on this specific issue. You don't think he was literally infallible, do you?

No, of course not. I think he was right in terms of his non-violent approach. But this is a road we've been down on this thread, and I'm not sure what we could do to convince each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

you should punch nazis because it increases risk of both hemorrhagic and ischemic stroke

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

enki42 posted:

No, of course not. I think he was right in terms of his non-violent approach.

Can you point to any specific instances of Nazis being defeated with non-violence?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

enki42 posted:

Don't deflect. Why should people punch Nazis? Why is it effective?

In my opinion, it doesn't seem to make them stop (it either has no effect or maybe escalates violence), and I don't think it wins people over to your cause (either normal folk or people affiliated with Nazis). So what does it do? And how is it more effective than non-violent action.

Re: your quote. That's very specifically about violence in response to violence, which is not what we're talking about. Speech isn't violence, and saying it is as bullshit as the people who call property damage violence. It's not acceptable, but we should meet speech with speech, and violence with violence.

never ever see any neonazis committing hate crimes nope

violence isn't actively a thing minorities are facing

you've already seen the numbers rising, pigdog and blew it off because you're an idiot who hates the splc

you are the embodiment of the nice people that naomi shulman talks about, ignoring their neighbors getting carted away

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

enki42 posted:

No, of course not. I think he was right in terms of his non-violent approach. But this is a road we've been down on this thread, and I'm not sure what we could do to convince each other.

glad you finished elementary school

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

enki42 posted:

Why though? I thought the point was to punch them so that their opinions are abhorrent and unacceptable in society.

The reaction to Spencer getting socked in the face has been overwhelmingly positive so the point stands.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

enki42 posted:

Don't deflect. Why should people punch Nazis? Why is it effective?

There's a character in the Iliad named Thersites. Basically the Greeks have been sieging Troy for some long rear end time like 20 years. They're not making any progress towards breaking the town's defenses and a lot of the Greeks are tired and want to go home. This dude Thersites smacktalks the Greek brass and says, "Yo dudes I say unto you that we should leave this motherfucker and go home because a lot of us ain't hosed our wives in like, 20 years and also the Trojans are blueballing us even worse so anyway yeah we should leave, gently caress this scene it sucks."

So Achilleus, who is an insanely bad motherfucker, walks up to Thersites and punches him in the mouth.

And that's the end of the Greeks wanting to go home because all the rest of the Greeks are way too busy pointing and laughing at Thersites to pack their poo poo on the boats. They are drawing funny pictures of Thersites and passing them around and poo poo. He's so embarrassed he never gets laid again for the rest of his life. This is just like that.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

enki42 posted:

Cool, why don't you show me an example of Nazis cowering in fear as a result of this punch, because last time I checked Richard Spencer was still posting / giving interviews / etc.

I have yet to hear how you are going to convince nazis to not be nazis.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!
there's a powerful effect to a nazi getting punched and everyone with a conscience finding it at least funny if not righteous. Sympathizers wouldn't know this because they are walking self fulfilled prophecies. You don't want nazis getting support for being punched? Don't support them. Don't tell people it isn't self defense. Don't give them the honorific of a political ethos. You're placing yourself on the side of the discourse that the nazis prefer: unsure of what to do. You'll sit in your loving house through the whole thing smug as poo poo thinking there's still a high road.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why do you think the alt righters' first step in damage control was stuff like this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806936&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Long past time this wrapped up, sadly we may never reach a consensus on if it's okay to punch Nazi's or not.

• Locked thread