Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
People who unironically advocate genocidal policies - like, literally, in real life - probably don't have much room to complain if they get punched by someone who objects to their "mass murder of minorities" policy, I M H O.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

like is this the kind of thing that can be done by a few committed nazis working in secret who found out about the nazi thing from a joseph spencer (wait is his first name joseph) article, or would it take a hundred thousand nazis with a secret plan to first install and then control a leader they can count on to do their bidding

It's not really hard to get a lot of influence in local or regional government, and one of Trump's senior advisors is a white supremacist.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

how many steps removed is it from expressing an opinion to someone hearing and adopting that opinion to becoming influential in a government position, and how many more steps is it from there to enacting or reinforcing potentially white supremacist or genocidal policies

this is getting a bit weird

You're talking about white supremacists getting into power, but they never really got kicked out of power in the first place. There are already plenty of white supremacists in influential government positions pushing white supremacist policies, they're just limited in how much they can get away with being open about it. That's why Jeff "too openly racist for the 1980s" Sessions is being floated for a cabinet position again, and making sure to point out how many civil rights cases he signed paperwork on this time.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AARO posted:

You guys are just making up your own rules. Why should anyone listen to you? You have no principles, you just make up your own morality as you go along.

"He 'calls for' genocide so I can justifiably punch him." This is incorrect. Those who respect constitutional rights know that "No matter what he 'calls for' you cannot justifiably punch him solely based on that act of calling for something." It is not ok to inflict violence on people solely on the basis of them expressing their thoughts, regardless of how abhorrent their thoughts may be.

Constitutional rights just mean the government can't punch you for saying things. The First Amendment doesn't immunize people from any and all potential consequences of their speech, it only prevents the government from punishing them for speech. If private individuals want to punish someone for their speech, go ahead, there's no law against that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AARO posted:

There are laws against punching people who said things you don't like. It is not legal to punch people except out of necessary self defense.

"not legal" is not the same as "not moral". The government could very well arrest someone and charge them with a crime for punching a Nazi, but "punching Nazis is illegal" isn't the same as "punching Nazis is morally wrong".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AARO posted:

In the USA in the 1950's a man who openly said he was gay could very easily get punched in the face by any white Christian male onlooker. Even it it wasn't legal to punch this man for his mere act of saying he was gay, I'm sure large parts of 1950's America would have said the assault was moral.

Richard Spencer is a disgusting rear end in a top hat and I hope he dies. However, I don't think we should normalize punching people for mere speech. I think it sets a dangerous precedent. We need to be a people who values free thought so much that we tolerate even the most abhorrent despicable speech of assholes.

In your example, the person isn't getting punched for saying he's gay, he's getting punched for being gay. He's not getting punched because of what he said, he's getting punched because of an unchangeable inherent part of who he is. That's completely different from punching a Nazi for holding Nazi opinions. You're comparing apples to rotted disgusting oranges.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AARO posted:

Arguing against the analogy is embarrassingly sophomoric drivel.

No, your analogy was bad and wrong, and now that you've been called out on comparing Nazis to gay people, you're blaming everyone else for your poor argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AARO posted:

I guess we're at an impasse. I really am trying here to understand what the hell you're saying.

Punching someone because of how they were born isn't the same as punching someone for the beliefs they hold. The fact that in both cases they told the puncher about the thing they got punched for doesn't make the two situations somehow equivalent.

• Locked thread