Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Did you do the slot car thing yet?

If not do it ASAP.

I just did, holy poo poo that was amazing.

His reaction when getting lapped (I picked a completely wrong setup) is also pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

If not do it ASAP.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The American Psycho-esque business card holder is some of the coolest game swag. Can't wait to play this later, I'm taking note of the sweet tips and tricks in here.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ImpAtom posted:

If not do it ASAP.

Where is the slot cars activity? Do you unlock it through the story?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

The combination of Pat from two best friends shilling this, and seeing a clip of Maejima breakdance fighting caused me to cave and get this.

Sure hope I don't hate it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Night Blade posted:

The combination of Pat from two best friends shilling this, and seeing a clip of Maejima breakdance fighting caused me to cave and get this.

I'll be surprised if you regret the decision.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

tap my mountain posted:

Where is the slot cars activity? Do you unlock it through the story?

After the first chapter, go to the upper left corner of the map. You should get an event leading you to it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus that first boss fight, even for a veteran of the series it took me a dozen tries but I enjoyed every minute of it because aside from occasional stun lock it felt harsh, but fair. Switching stances is such an awesome new wrinkle to the gameplay

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

precision posted:

Jesus that first boss fight, even for a veteran of the series it took me a dozen tries but I enjoyed every minute of it because aside from occasional stun lock it felt harsh, but fair. Switching stances is such an awesome new wrinkle to the gameplay

yea I was worried it'd be too easy but then I got him down to his second bar and he started throwing those flaming combos more and it felt like a more classic yakuza boss fight.

Also that whole section was great. The bathroom fight and it's ending was beautiful.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm really enjoying this game, but I have a couple of questions for anyone who has finished it before.

1) What's a good chapter to start focusing on doing side stuff? I don't want to get too far into the game and find out I missed something.
2) I hear this like loud ding noise from the map once in a while or the controller rumbles. What is that about?
3) Should I sell anything where the description says it's worth a lot and I should just sell it?

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

My only gripe with the money instead of experience points thing is that the rewards for doing sub-stories are pretty bad now. Occasionally you'll get a useful item but sometimes you get nothing at all.

It's a good thing the sub-stories have been really fun to do so far.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm really enjoying this game, but I have a couple of questions for anyone who has finished it before.

1) What's a good chapter to start focusing on doing side stuff? I don't want to get too far into the game and find out I missed something.
2) I hear this like loud ding noise from the map once in a while or the controller rumbles. What is that about?
3) Should I sell anything where the description says it's worth a lot and I should just sell it?

Chapter 2 is when the game first opens up. I believe, at that point, you can do a pretty significant amount of sidequests. None of the sidequests are missable or failable, iirc.

e: oh, right, Impatom's right, it means you came within radar range of your next plot objective.

Generally, selling poo poo is fine. In fact, now that materials have their own page on the inventory, I don't think those things will have any use except more money.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 25, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

I would not stress very much about side stuff until you unlock your businesses. That is the point things really pick up.

2) That just means you've approached minimap range for your next quest objective

3) Sell anything that says it exists to sell AFAIK.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Does 6 have as good comedy writing as 0? Is the localization just loving awesome on this one that it seems extra special?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Housh posted:

Does 6 have as good comedy writing as 0? Is the localization just loving awesome on this one that it seems extra special?
I'd say most of the games have consistently funny writing for sub stories, yeah. Same as 0 or any others there were a few times in 6 when I couldn't stop laughing.

Edit: I've only ever played these games in Japanese, no idea the consistency of the English translation from game to game.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

The substories may not pay out much, but just doing them tends to be a reward in itself. It's been a while since I've laughed out loud at a video game :3: I'm one of those people who normally hates sitting through cutscenes too.

How have I never heard of this series until now?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brick Shipment posted:

How have I never heard of this series until now?

SEGA.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Heavy Metal posted:

The American Psycho-esque business card holder is some of the coolest game swag. Can't wait to play this later, I'm taking note of the sweet tips and tricks in here.

I know! I ordered the physical version from Amazon not realizing I was going to get some sweet swag. I might actually this card holder, it's pretty swank.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Oh hey, finally a game in which we'll play as Kiryu actually in the Yakuza for more than the first chapter!
...I got rused.

I want a refund from the Dream Machine. I dumped a million yen into that and what I got back was a weapon Kiryu can't even use. :ohdear:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Night Blade posted:

Pat is wrong 99% of the time,but not about Yakuza.

I suck at Disco. Bad.

I'm saddened that Ruby Plates apparently crashed hard in the digital age. They would've made hostesses that much easier.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 25, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pick-e posted:

Oh hey, finally a game in which we'll play as Kiryu actually in the Yakuza for more than the first chapter!
...I got rused.

I want a refund from the Dream Machine. I dumped a million yen into that and what I got back was a weapon Kiryu can't even use. :ohdear:

That is why it's the Dream Machine~

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I love the sub stories in this one. I just helped some kid get his copy of Dragon Quest 3 that his father stole (??) and lifecoached a yankee band on how to be super huge posers. I only have like 4 hours logged but it is already my favorite Yakuza. It has social links. Social Links!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So is anyone else getting lost due to not having Millennium Tower as a landmark? Anyone?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Is this game supposed to be insanely difficult? I can barely make it through random encounter fights against 2-3 guys early in the game, on normal difficulty. They just kick the poo poo out of me nonstop. And I'm really not someone who's bad at video games.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is this game supposed to be insanely difficult? I can barely make it through random encounter fights against 2-3 guys early in the game, on normal difficulty. They just kick the poo poo out of me nonstop. And I'm really not someone who's bad at video games.

I take it it's your first Yakuza game? R1 for soft locking,beast and pickups will wreck stuff in seconds, rush is good for bosses due to triple quickstep.

You wanna play this like a Dragonball Z fight and punch people in the back after quickstepping around them. Brawler also has a counter after you are a hit. But yeah, don't shy away using pickups, rush cannot pick stuff up tho.

Blocking is a trap tho,you just get staggered to hell outside of beast style.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I take it it's your first Yakuza game? R1 for soft locking,beast and pickups will wreck stuff in seconds, rush is good for bosses due to triple quickstep.

You wanna play this like a Dragonball Z fight and punch people in the back after quickstepping around them. Brawler also has a counter after you are a hit. But yeah, don't shy away using pickups, rush cannot pick stuff up tho.

Blocking is a trap tho,you just get staggered to hell outside of beast style.

I've played tons of brawlers and fighting games and am good at them. But it feels like I don't even have a chance to get a single attack off.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I've played tons of brawlers and fighting games and am good at them. But it feels like I don't even have a chance to get a single attack off.

You aren't quickstepping then.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You aren't quickstepping then.

I am. I just get swarmed anyway.

Seriously, is the game supposed to be crazy hard? Something feels off. I handled the first few fights in the game and Kazu's level no problem, it feels like things spiked like crazy once I got to the open world.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Are you trying to block? Don't block. Either take the hit so you can counter (in Brawler style) or quickstep. Or don't let enemies hit you because you're constantly stunlocking them with your manly powers.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I am. I just get swarmed.

Seriously, is the game supposed to be crazy hard? Something feels off.

I dunno. You can end most fights on the street in under 5 seconds and enemy attacks are pretty telegraphed. If you get cornerfucked, chain quickstepping around them in rush helps, brawler does more damage so switch to that when you have air.

Also,never not pickup bicycles,the are weapons of mass destruction.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I am. I just get swarmed anyway.

Seriously, is the game supposed to be crazy hard? Something feels off. I handled the first few fights in the game and Kazu's level no problem, it feels like things spiked like crazy once I got to the open world.

Are you countering? In Brawler, if you're getting swarmed, mash any button except Square and you'll counter and should knock them back.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Are you playing on Hard? I'm on normal and it seems about the same as the old Yakuza games.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Welp I figured it out. I was using an accessory called "Charismatic Autobiography" that gives good good stats but apparently makes enemies like 10x as aggressive. It's definitely not clear that's what it does in the item description. I took it off and I can clear fights without getting hit now :doh:

So yeah, gently caress you guys. I knew something was off.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Welp I figured it out. I was using an accessory called "Charismatic Autobiography" that gives good good stats but apparently makes enemies like 10x as aggressive. It's definitely not clear that's what it does in the item description. I took it off and I can clear fights without getting hit now :doh:

So yeah, gently caress you guys. I knew something was off.

Well. You still got hit. Kiryu never would've gotten hit even with that accessory.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Well. You still got hit. Kiryu never would've gotten hit even with that accessory.

Tch. *lights cigarette*

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Where did you get that thing tho?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Where did you get that thing tho?

Don't remember. The DLC clown at the shrine gives you a bunch of items, so maybe it was one of those.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Really not feeling the gameplay in this one. Feels like they took 3/4 of the moves out and split the rest among the 3 stances

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ok need help with something else now. I can't seem to stop dancing. :moonrio:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Really not feeling the gameplay in this one. Feels like they took 3/4 of the moves out and split the rest among the 3 stances

There is a second character who also has three stances. Also there are four stances for each character.