Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

I don’t remember any rape jokes in 4 (remaster) so that’s definitely gone at least. It was probably always a bad translation anyway since the joke is Hana describing herself as a delicate wallflower when Akiyama knows she’s perfectly capable of defending herself.

Actually I was surprised how genuinely nice Akiyama is to Hana, what with that one substory that in a lot of other things would be “gee, Hana’s depressed about her weight, that means she’s not gonna get any work done I should get her a man” but instead is “hmm, i think Hana’s just fine the way she is but if she feels self-conscious about her weight I should engage in wacky hijinks to find her a man who appreciates her the way she is. :)

It was from the original. It was something like 'haha rape you?' It was just a weird intro to Akiyama's and Hana's dynamic since he's pretty chill to her after that. I heard they took that out and a lot of other lovely elements from the original ps3 games like the transphobic substories so good on the yakuza team.

Yeah, despite him complaining about her trying to make him do his job, Akiyama is pretty thoughtful towards her. I also liked that her desire for weight loss wasn't entirely framed around wanting to be attractive for getting a partner. She also wanted to be able to wear popular fashion styles that weren't being made in her size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yakuza is also very respectful towards the homeless which I honestly didn’t expect

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I feel like the Y5 remaster actually looks worse than the Y4 remaster.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
While I'm asking dumb things, how exactly are you supposed to do darts in 6? The darts seem to just go to random spots on the board no matter what.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
IIRC if you time the release perfectly it should go exactly where it's pointing.

Better darts widen the window so it gets much easier.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
hi I'm playing Yakuza 0 for the first time, it is my first Yakuza game and I am dying laughing this is amazing

I am permanently breakdancing with Majima, with Kiryu I hit people with bikes but if there are no bikes I use Rush.

I just got the "I'll make them an offer... IN CASH" cutscene and had to pause and take a minute, what the gently caress is this game. The saccharine sweet and wholesome subplots and then I just beat a person with a motorcycle. Tonight I got the Arakure Quest and it was the most over the top wholesome poo poo at the end. Kids shows have less wholesome messages. Holy moly. Also the Pizza quest.

I love everything about this game and just had to take a minute to appreciate it directly into this thread.

I am struggling with fishing tho I'm not gonna lie.

Edit: oh my god did I just hire the band member I taught hooliganism to jesus christ this game

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 9, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Settle in friend, Kiwami 1 is a little dry since it’s such a faithful remake, but otherwise you have a long, wild ride ahead of yourself. Feel free to post all your reactions :)

Also fishing is just kind of slow with the basic rods and you should just buy the Super Duper Awesome Rod at Ebisu Pawn. Or get the second best one by owning Sushi Gin (the owner automatically gives it to you when you finish his friend event if your already at the point where you’re buying stuff)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It warms my heart each and every time someone new discovers the Yakuza series

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Taintrunner posted:

Yet another reason that AIKA is best girl.

Correct

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
New ranking -

Everyone rank the YK2 hostesses.

Aika/Shoko > Koyuki > Kirara > Yua > Kana

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Aw jeez, I’m doing the substories I never knew existed in 0 since I have the Trouble Finder now and (Kiwami 1 spoilers) gently caress man. I never even knew Shinji was in 0. That poo poo hits real loving hard :(

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

K2 hostesses:

Aika - Kirara - Koyuki - Shoko - Kana - Yua

0 hostesses:

Yuki - Hibiki - Ai - Chika - Saki - Mana

These rankings are definitive

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Last Celebration posted:

Aw jeez, I’m doing the substories I never knew existed in 0 since I have the Trouble Finder now and (Kiwami 1 spoilers) gently caress man. I never even knew Shinji was in 0. That poo poo hits real loving hard :(

I knew very little about later Yakuzas when I played 0 and I naturally happened upon that substory, so I was actually really pleasantly surprised when I booted up Kiwami and Shinji was in the first cutscene, I was like "oh poo poo I didn't expect him to pop up again! That's really awesome!" Obviously if you played 1 before 0 the implied tone of that substory is a lot more grim than it actually is in-game

There's also the pants thief substory but even I knew who that kid was right away.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
the pants thief one is weird to me because majima is doing epic heat moves stabbing a knife through a 12 year olds stomach and snapping his neck. i know majima is a weird guy still underneath the exterior in 0 obviously but throwing bowling balls at young teens seems a bit like he has some bad issues to work out even by majima standards

man nurse posted:

It warms my heart each and every time someone new discovers the Yakuza series

it owns

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Gameplay is broad strokes canon and you know it, just ask all the bullets Kiryu has spent painstakingly not killing anyone

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

HebrewMagic posted:

...just ask all the bullets Kiryu has spent painstakingly not killing anyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKzWB3sDFc&t=16s
He was just safely storing them.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

HebrewMagic posted:

Gameplay is broad strokes canon and you know it, just ask all the bullets Kiryu has spent painstakingly not killing anyone

yes. the joke post is similar to the thing that people joke frequently with the series. i was hoping that would make it even more obvious it was a joke. but thanks for soothing everyone's extreme anxiety surrounding majima potentially being a public menace who should be locked up forever in an omi torture dungeon for murdering children

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Carlosologist posted:

Yakuza is also very respectful towards the homeless which I honestly didn’t expect

I think one of my favourite Akiyama-isms is when he buys beer for the homeless and then just plops himself down and drinks it along with them.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

excuse me that was clearly a case of an impromptu dance move gone awry

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Gort posted:

I think one of my favourite Akiyama-isms is when he buys beer for the homeless and then just plops himself down and drinks it along with them.

akiyama loving rules that they made his character get rich and yet he spends it on personally going out and buying beer for homeless people

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And yet he couldn't give a woman trying to escape her abusive husband some money because she didn't pass his arbitrary test.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

I just started 5 and oh good lord this is great, I fear this may be my longest haul yet

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
akiyama might hang out with homeless dudes, but he doesn't seem to have ever done the tiniest thing to help them.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

akiyama might hang out with homeless dudes, but he doesn't seem to have ever done the tiniest thing to help them.

he gives them beer

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

he gives them beer

when he wants something!

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
you're underestimating exactly how fully ftw it is to get beer given to you when you're homeless regardless and info is a small price for a good transaction like that

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

yes. the joke post is similar to the thing that people joke frequently with the series. i was hoping that would make it even more obvious it was a joke. but thanks for soothing everyone's extreme anxiety surrounding majima potentially being a public menace who should be locked up forever in an omi torture dungeon for murdering children

You doin' ok there, SA user Literal Nazi Furry

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Look, if those homeless guys want money they can do the same thing Akiyama did, hang out by the Millennium Tower and wait for it to rain money. It's already happened twice so far so there are good odds it will happen again. (I haven't played 5 or 6, don't tell me if it happens again)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

robot roll call posted:

Look, if those homeless guys want money they can do the same thing Akiyama did, hang out by the Millennium Tower and wait for it to rain money. It's already happened twice so far so there are good odds it will happen again. (I haven't played 5 or 6, don't tell me if it happens again)

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a special move in 7.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Hey what the poo poo dick is up with the loving forklift chase in 5? It's bad enough that during the story all I could do was get rammed up the rear end over and over again, but Sprint Match 3 is bullshit because I have one minute to get across the whole drat map because getting hit means I'll run out of time right before finish line. Is it like pool where the minigame isn't properly optimized for PS4 so no human can actually win without stupidly good luck? (edit #2: not impossible, but still bullshit. somehow the Mack chase is easier)

edit: also, regarding the "Secret of" abilities that give benefits when you hit the attack button at "the right time"; what the hell is "the right time"?

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 10, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm just before the final battle in 5 and boy has this game just not really come together at all.

There's a lot to like about Yakuza 5, but overall, it feels like a step down from Yakuza 4 in almost every way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Captain Walker posted:

edit: also, regarding the "Secret of" abilities that give benefits when you hit the attack button at "the right time"; what the hell is "the right time"?

IIRC for any of he defensive sounding ones it's just before an attack connects like instead of holding block you hit block just as an attack connects and you don't get knocked back. For offensive ones you hit the button again just as your prior attack connects with a blocking enemy/etc.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Paramemetic posted:

hi I'm playing Yakuza 0 for the first time, it is my first Yakuza game and I am dying laughing this is amazing

I am permanently breakdancing with Majima, with Kiryu I hit people with bikes but if there are no bikes I use Rush.

I just got the "I'll make them an offer... IN CASH" cutscene and had to pause and take a minute, what the gently caress is this game. The saccharine sweet and wholesome subplots and then I just beat a person with a motorcycle. Tonight I got the Arakure Quest and it was the most over the top wholesome poo poo at the end. Kids shows have less wholesome messages. Holy moly. Also the Pizza quest.

I love everything about this game and just had to take a minute to appreciate it directly into this thread.

I am struggling with fishing tho I'm not gonna lie.

Edit: oh my god did I just hire the band member I taught hooliganism to jesus christ this game

As a fellow Yakuza neophyte I'll warn you that Yakuza Kiwami 1 is way more sedate in tone with only a few wacky things happening but it's still worth seeing the plot through and fighting is still fun

Kiwami 2 throws you right back into zanyville where you get to beat up a man who loves his car until he starts naming it after you and have a heartfelt conversation about lovely self help books

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/563Chan/status/1292276749615509507

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Neo Rasa posted:

block just as an attack connects and you don't get knocked back.

I don't recognize these terms, I'm playing as Saejima

fake e: it does look like you get the benefits of all your character's timing-bases abilities when you hit the attack button just as your last hit connects. It's actually easiest with Shinada, which is handy because it's tough for him to build up Heat or guard break otherwise.

Mordiceius posted:

There's a lot to like about Yakuza 5, but overall, it feels like a step down from Yakuza 4 in almost every way.

Yakuza 5 is overly ambitious for sure, but in the charming RGG Studios way instead of the bland Ubisoft way. Y4's focus was on designing the new characters and their fighting styles, so the world was constrained to just Kamurocho; it got old eventually. 5 has the opposite problem, especially in the narrative department; there's a massive, sprawling plot with like a dozen antagonists with multiple villainous plots working at cross purposes, but the new localization does a ton of heavy lifting by making character motivations clearer.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like Y4’s Kamurocho since it’s the most in-depth. You get the rooftops, the sewer, and the underground! If they had done a Kiwami version it would have been intensely good. Somehow they’d get the Cabaret Club in there with Akiyama running the show instead of Kiryu

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I feel like for as big, bold, and ambitious Yakuza 5 is, the story is kind of stretched thin. It doesn’t have nearly as many twists and turns as some of the other games and spreading it across five cities stretches it to the breaking point.

There are multiple points where it just feels like there is story missing as if they ran out of time/budget.

I really like the premise of the story, but the execution leaves something to be desired. The Yakuza series is all about dramatic and exaggerated realism but there was a lot in this story that caused me to give it a side eye.

I’ll have deeper thoughts after I finish it later today. I generally know about who the final boss is, but I’m curious to see the execution.

Carlosologist posted:

I like Y4’s Kamurocho since it’s the most in-depth. You get the rooftops, the sewer, and the underground! If they had done a Kiwami version it would have been intensely good. Somehow they’d get the Cabaret Club in there with Akiyama running the show instead of Kiryu

That definitely helped IMO. It’s the most “immersive city” the game has been. There’s stuff to like about the other cities in Yakuza 5 but they’re all extremely underdeveloped since they each are only for a single character in a single game and are small on scope compared to Kamurocho and even Sotonbori.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 10, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

my heart

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

When Nishiki joins them :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Just finished Yakuza 3, onto Y4 :getin:

Y3 spoilers: I was absolutely gutted that they killed off both Kashiwagi and Rikiya though :smith: