Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Way of the Samurai especially hurts because they have a new game, Katana-kami, and it's a very interesting merger of Way of the Samurai with Diablo and Recettear, but they only made it because no publisher would give them the money to make WotS 5 and when asked about the current wave of samurai games they were like "yeah, I really wish we could have been a part of that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Man, I almost done with Majima Everywhere in Kiwami but I can't get idol Majima to spawn. Its baffling that he has such a low spawn rate. (I know you can go in and out of smile burger repeatedly to force him to spawn eventually, but its taking forever for that to happen)

Majima Everywhere is so baffling for not just having made the super obvious choice to replace Thug/Slugger/Breaker Majima with Zombie/Officer/Idol Majima completely. I know Kiwami is kind of a budget remake but still

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Majima Everywhere was a fun concept that quickly outstays it’s welcome when you’re just trying to get somewhere and then surprise, time to fight three health bar breaker majima

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The funny cutscenes of Majima Everywhere injected some life into a story I really did not enjoy so I'll always appreciate it for that, regardless of how repetitive actually fighting Majima was (which I was surprisingly ok with for most of the game, because he's one of the only fun bosses in Kiwami, assuming he's not in Breaker). I don't have much trouble compartmentalizing aspects of media if need be, so it being completely incongruous and ill-fitting with the actual story and what Majima's character was in Yakuza 1 didn't bother me in the slightest. I just regarded it separately from the plot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, had a thought. If there isn't a new yakuza in the next few months, then this'll be the first time they take a year-break since 0 in 2015. Kinda really hoping they're taking their time to make the next step up in the Dragon Engine really take advantage of the new consoles and maybe even have something closer to a worldwide release.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

MorningMoon posted:

So, had a thought. If there isn't a new yakuza in the next few months, then this'll be the first time they take a year-break since 0 in 2015. Kinda really hoping they're taking their time to make the next step up in the Dragon Engine really take advantage of the new consoles and maybe even have something closer to a worldwide release.

Do we even know what they are working on now?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Lareine posted:

Do we even know what they are working on now?

Fully featured stand-alone Yakuza Kart Racer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dewgy posted:

That was Sekiro, actually.

It's really not.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's really not.

Well, literally, Sekiro started out as a Tenchu sequel early in its development. They changed their minds to give it its own flavor and history (and with good reason) but I can totally feel it when I play the game.

Admittedly I like those kinds of weird connections though, like how it’s arguable that Red Dead Redemption is a sequel to the old NES/Arcade game Gun.Smoke. :v: Red Dead Revolver was intended as a Maximo-from-Ghouls n Ghosts style soft reboot of Gun.Smoke until Capcom cancelled it and the rights got sold to Rockstar.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Well, literally, Sekiro started out as a Tenchu sequel early in its development. They changed their minds to give it its own flavor and history (and with good reason) but I can totally feel it when I play the game.

Admittedly I like those kinds of weird connections though, like how it’s arguable that Red Dead Redemption is a sequel to the old NES/Arcade game Gun.Smoke. :v: Red Dead Revolver was intended as a Maximo-from-Ghouls n Ghosts style soft reboot of Gun.Smoke until Capcom cancelled it and the rights got sold to Rockstar.

:thatsrad:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dewgy posted:

Yeah I know it started as one but it really doesn't feel like it to me at all outside of some very minor stealth elements and a grappling hook. The entire thing was a disappointment for me, even though I think it's good game, because Tenchu was what I wanted.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Just beat 5, 47 hours with 26 percent completion. That includes all side stories (except Amon) and all the main side job missions. Hell of a game! The plot is a total mess but each individual section was so enjoyable that I don't really care. I think the fact that all the side jobs were actually fun is what impressed me the most. My HD Trilogy ranking is 5>4>3, although I could see putting 4 over 5 if you like the multiple characters but you're looking for something a little more traditional and to the point. I didn't find 3 to be as bad as a lot of this thread does either, it's just kind of bare-bones compared to 4 and 5. At any rate, even at full price the HD Trilogy is an insane game per dollar ratio. Can't wait to get started on 6!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Policeman: There's this street racing gang causing all sorts of havoc. We, the police, can't do anything about it though. We want you, a taxi driver, to street race them so good that they go away.
Kiryu: Makes sense.

God I love these stupid games.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
its unreal how good the taxi stuff is.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I didn't expect the plot in the taxi subgame to make me cry but it totally did.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Taxi stands way up there with 0 and K2 Cabaret for both fun factor and quality of the story arc.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Except for the people who dash out on to the road, I don't think I've ever not hit them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trouble with taxi game is only like 1/3 involve the actual driving bit, the rest are just the boring 'person in the back talks to you' ones. Well they're not really bad just not the driving ones.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I get why the did them (it’s way the gently caress easier to program them than normal driving stuff, which is probably even harder than car racing) but it’s still lame

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What was Tanimura's taunt in 4 supposed to be? Every time I used it, I never got the impression that my heat gauge went up at all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think his default taunt is firing his gun in the air?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Kinda disappointed now that I have the QR code finder in Judgment that 95% of the codes are just drone-parts related after a couple I grabbed that were amazing (Tiger Drop of course and that one where you knock off an entire health bar in EX mode). I also still haven't found the skill book that lets you spot random encounters and the gang threat level system sucks and I hate it but those are my only real complaints!

The part in Chapter 7 where they bring back the cabaret menu just to play as Saori for twenty minutes was amazing and the disguise you get after that in Chapter 8 is almost as incredible as the vampire outfit. I also really appreciate how a lot of the little friendship quests are cute and normal stuff like taking selfies with that one burger store employee but then the game throws some poo poo like Giant Impact at you that's so ridiculous it's like I'm right back in 0 :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I think his default taunt is firing his gun in the air?

Yeah I do it and I never felt like it did anything for me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Kinda disappointed now that I have the QR code finder in Judgment that 95% of the codes are just drone-parts related after a couple I grabbed that were amazing (Tiger Drop of course and that one where you knock off an entire health bar in EX mode). I also still haven't found the skill book that lets you spot random encounters and the gang threat level system sucks and I hate it but those are my only real complaints!

The part in Chapter 7 where they bring back the cabaret menu just to play as Saori for twenty minutes was amazing and the disguise you get after that in Chapter 8 is almost as incredible as the vampire outfit. I also really appreciate how a lot of the little friendship quests are cute and normal stuff like taking selfies with that one burger store employee but then the game throws some poo poo like Giant Impact at you that's so ridiculous it's like I'm right back in 0 :allears:

The random encounter book is I wanna say locked behind the oldschool Japanese gambling parlor prizes in the homeless tower (I really should remember the name since it’s been a thing from K2-5, the place you buy not-steroids on the top floor). Savescumming is pretty easy in this game compared to the older Yakuza games though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Wolfsheim posted:

My biggest complaint is that the game doesn't let you use outfits outside of specific scenarios, but that's an issue with the entire series. They give you cool costumes but you can only use them after you already beat the game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

My biggest complaint is that the game doesn't let you use outfits outside of specific scenarios, but that's an issue with the entire series. They give you cool costumes but you can only use them after you already beat the game.

At least you got to wear those outfits in Premium Adventure. Bram Sylvania can never truly terrorize the Keihin, and that's a crying shame.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my biggest complaint re: costumes is that the unlockable ono michio costume in 6 has a weird tiny head. or rather, a normal human sized head but that's no good.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah I do it and I never felt like it did anything for me.

Never failed to remind me that Tanimura, a detective who legally carries a police-issue revolver, can’t equip guns of any kind. You’re not alone in being disappointed with the piddly amount of Heat it generates, though. Picking up Golden Dragon Spirit early as Tanimura is pretty important.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finally finished Judgment just now. Really enjoyed it, one of my new favorites in the extended series. The extended cast rules, I really loved how Higashi ended up as one of the main bros, and the very last scene put a big dumb smile on my face.

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

GhostDog posted:

Policeman: There's this street racing gang causing all sorts of havoc. We, the police, can't do anything about it though. We want you, a taxi driver, to street race them so good that they go away.
Kiryu: Makes sense.

God I love these stupid games.

the line that is something like "im a traffic cop and i give you permission to street race" is probably my favorite line in the series

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Trouble with taxi game is only like 1/3 involve the actual driving bit, the rest are just the boring 'person in the back talks to you' ones. Well they're not really bad just not the driving ones.

yeah this was a huge disappointment for me, the actual driving taxi missions were such a chill palette cleanser but there were only like... 8? of them? I would love to see taxi driving come back in a future game

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
One of the party members in LoD is a corrupt cop, maybe they could include police patrols for that same itch.

id say they could also bring back gang racing but apparently 7 already has Kiryu Kart in it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

QUEER FRASIER posted:

yeah this was a huge disappointment for me, the actual driving taxi missions were such a chill palette cleanser but there were only like... 8? of them? I would love to see taxi driving come back in a future game

I was OK with the amount of taxi driving there was - the transition from driving/driving with conversation/conversation felt like the game saying, "This is Kiryu getting to the point where driving is automatic and natural to him, now he just thinks about the conversation".

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Well I preordered a PS5 now so what I need is a firm date for next gen 7 before I end up buying the PS4 version and just playing that instead.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought the PS4 version came with a free Pro upgrade or something? Doesn’t that make the PS4 version the better buy then?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah you get the PS4 version now, play it on PS5 with any bonuses inherent with that through BC, and eventually they release the PS5 version which gets you a free upgrade.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Have they confirmed a free upgrade on ps5?

Everything I’ve seen just says the ps5 version is coming “at a later date”, which could mean an upgrade or could just mean ‘please pay another :50bux:’ as far as I can tell.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Actually games are gonna be :70bux: on the ps5

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
After 7 is out I will have spent an embarrassing amount of money on this franchise in just a couple of months. I started playing Y0 on a whim because it was on Game Pass and now six weeks later I'm on Y4 because I can't stop playing. These games are too good and it's ruining my budget :mad:

e. question about Y4, at least two characters have pointed out that Majima's accent is inconsistent (Saejima and I think the guy who captures young Majima before he can join in the hit on Ueno Seiwa). Is it just a way of saying Majima is kind of shady/playing a role, or is it a reference to something in-game? I feel like I'm missing something.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

question about Y4, at least two characters have pointed out that Majima's accent is inconsistent (Saejima and I think the guy who captures young Majima before he can join in the hit on Ueno Seiwa). Is it just a way of saying Majima is kind of shady/playing a role, or is it a reference to something in-game? I feel like I'm missing something.

He's absolutely playing up a role with the whole Mad Dog thing and the accent is part of it, yeah. There's uhhh a lot going on with Majima