Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Kojiro posted:

Y6: I still don't get why Akiyama was even there and weirdly ride or die for Kiryu to the point of being willing to kill for him? His whole role should have gone to Majima, it would've made 10000% more sense for his actual longtime yakuza buddy to be like that rather than the money lender he met literally twice before

Akiyama rules and I am not sure of how much time passed between 4 and 5 but come on! Dude took care of Haruka at a very precarious time in her life, Kiryu and Akiyama are bros for life as much as Kiryu and Majima are

e: also I love that I have gotten to the point where I can read all the spoiler tags in this thread

robot roll call fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i get the feeling that akiyama gets involved with situations like the main stories of the yakuza series all the time. he's got a very strict schedule with equal time allotted for playing cruel games with desperate people seeking loans, elaborate yakuza conspiracies and napping.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm not gonna hover any Yakuza 6 spoilers, because I just started playing it recently, but I'd like to share some of my impressions so far.

Substories seem to have taken a hit writing-wise from previous games. Many of them are weirdly formulaic to the series to the point you can see the "twist" coming a few seconds after one starts. It was good to see a couple of callbacks to earlier games in the form of the sham cult leader of Y0 and the Pocket Circuit Fighter. I don't know if everything being voiced is also adding to the problem since it makes the slow ones with a ton of exposition even slower.

Running. Jesus, it sucks so hard. I know Kiryu is older now, but he seems to do everything else fine. Even boosting up the dashing stat to the max, running anywhere still manages to feel like a chore.

Clan battling. If some substories were a hit and miss, everything about this in turn is godawful. I don't care about any of these people. I don't care about the JUSTIS' edgy lieutenants. I just keep mashing X to get over with any part of these people talking, which is sad -- I never did this before, even in Y3 or Dead Souls. The gameplay is also not that interesting. I expected some kind of RTS, but it's just a very basic tower defense deal where you field the right units in the right order.

Baseball management. I don't know how to feel about this, because so far it doesn't seem like there's much to manage? I walk over the town and recruit someone who wants a bottle sake. I walk a bit more and there's a dude that wants one million yen and I thought it was a joke, but it's apparently deadly serious. Well, I guess I haven't seen anything to spend money on the game so far other than this, so I guess I'll accept this guy's price?

Spear fishing feels pretty arcadey and I like it. I imagine the later stages will probably become impossibly hard, but right now it's enjoyable trying to beat my previous scores.

Though the side content isn't leaving me with a particularly good opinion on the game, I like seeing old man Kiryu in his final story doing what he does best: being a clumsy dad who just can't resist punching idiots around.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

stev posted:

The karaoke in Kiwami 1 is so disappointing and low energy after Judgement and 24 Hour Cinderella.

yeah well... given whats happened to everyone kiryu knows during 10 years... it fits.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mikedawson posted:

I've been picking back up on Kiwami 2. I loving love Osaka Castle. Why the gently caress does the Omi Alliance have a secret Zelda dungeon guarded by samurai and ninja. I knew there was tiger fight but I figured it was going to be against like, a billionaire with an illegal exotic pet. Holy poo poo. Holy gently caress. I hope it shows up again in 7. It's the only game where it would actually fit.

the idea of it all being a fever dream makes a lot of sense when you consider that kiryu has never killed anyone (YK2 chapter 12 spoilers i guess)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Clan battling. If some substories were a hit and miss, everything about this in turn is godawful. I don't care about any of these people. I don't care about the JUSTIS' edgy lieutenants. I just keep mashing X to get over with any part of these people talking, which is sad -- I never did this before, even in Y3 or Dead Souls. The gameplay is also not that interesting. I expected some kind of RTS, but it's just a very basic tower defense deal where you field the right units in the right order.

Baseball management. I don't know how to feel about this, because so far it doesn't seem like there's much to manage? I walk over the town and recruit someone who wants a bottle sake. I walk a bit more and there's a dude that wants one million yen and I thought it was a joke, but it's apparently deadly serious. Well, I guess I haven't seen anything to spend money on the game so far other than this, so I guess I'll accept this guy's price?

Clan battling is average at best but the JUSTIS leaders are all real life famous Japanese pro-wrestlers, which is why they’re so prominent.

Did you actually go play baseball yet? Recruiting people is literally the least engaging part of the mini game, once you’re actually playing games you do more management-type stuff.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I was criticizing the gameplay of 3 but i'm at around chapter 9 and the story has been good and the substories are actually pretty entertaining and I find myself more hooked on doing them than the previous games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
People complain about the substories in 3 along with everything else but I liked a lot of them. I probably would have cleared most of them (gently caress pre-0 caberet club) except even with the remaster you still need a guide since so many of them are connected to completely unrelated ones and I found at least one that was completely unmarked by doing the massage parlor once and then stumbling into a bar.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

robot roll call posted:

Akiyama rules and I am not sure of how much time passed between 4 and 5 but come on! Dude took care of Haruka at a very precarious time in her life, Kiryu and Akiyama are bros for life as much as Kiryu and Majima are

e: also I love that I have gotten to the point where I can read all the spoiler tags in this thread

Still Y6 spoilers: I like Akiyama, don't get me wrong, but was that really the relationship we needed more time and elaboration on, out of all of them? This is your big Kiryu closure game and you pick to chill with Akiyama?! I'd have taken more time with Majima, Saejima or Daigo in an instant over that, and I'm still really baffled and honestly kinda pissed that we didn't get it. If Haruka was actually conscious through the time spent with Akiyama about I'd agree, cus I'd have liked to have seen more time with Haruka and Shabby Uncle Akiyama but we didn't get that either cus Yakuza 6 really loving hates women.
The thing is that the post-credits bit with the letter hit like a truck and it's just a real loving shame we didn't get more like that, I dunno.

Also last thing but it's an actual federal crime that they had a whole lovely baseball minigame and didn't pull in my boy Shinada, goddamn
I have a lot of feelings about Y6 and many of them are kinda negative, I'm sorry :smith:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Y6 baseball mini game rules

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

People complain about the substories in 3 along with everything else but I liked a lot of them. I probably would have cleared most of them (gently caress pre-0 caberet club) except even with the remaster you still need a guide since so many of them are connected to completely unrelated ones and I found at least one that was completely unmarked by doing the massage parlor once and then stumbling into a bar.

i liked a bunch of 3s substories but i feel like the combat system kinda killed the motivation i had to try and finish alot of them. im glad the later entries eased up on the permablocking counter machine enemies because it just made battles really tedious. also the big final assault at the end of 3 was badass as hell.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
For Y3 I just wish they'd have devoted a bit less time to the politicians/CIA, I found the parts with the Tojo lieutenants much more interesting. Mine was a legitimately creepy character with a weird, original motive and I care infinitely more about Tojo stuff than what the minister of defense's secretary has been up to lately or whatever. The final showdown and the conversation between Mine and Kiryu is a really cool moment that is completely ruined when that loving Black Monday boss comes in again and makes everything a remake of Y1.

But I really like Y3 and would personally fight anyone to save my pixel children

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 21, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Y6 baseball mini game rules

I hope this is true. I'll be playing more later on.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ASenileAnimal posted:

i liked a bunch of 3s substories but i feel like the combat system kinda killed the motivation i had to try and finish alot of them. im glad the later entries eased up on the permablocking counter machine enemies because it just made battles really tedious. also the big final assault at the end of 3 was badass as hell.

My understanding is that 3 is a bizarre anomaly wrt blocking and that enemies in PS2 1/2 just sort of melt too quickly for the clunky combat to become unbearable most of the time. But yeah, not just restarting and noping out to Easy or even Normal was a big mistake when playing 3, but I will say that playing a game that becomes an unbearable slog (as opposed to just often tedious) if you just mash square/triangle made me better at these games!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure how much time kiryu spent socializing with anyone after nishiki. like, the bar chats in 6 were probably the most normal friendships kiryu ever had.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

For Y3 I just wish they'd have devoted a bit less time to the politicians/CIA, I found the parts with the Tojo lieutenants much more interesting. Mine was a legitimately creepy character with a weird, original motive and I care infinitely more about Tojo stuff than what the minister of defense's secretary has been up to lately or whatever. The final showdown and the conversation between Mine and Kiryu is a really cool moment that is completely ruined when that loving Black Monday boss comes in again and makes everything a remake of Y1.

But I really like Y3 and would personally fight anyone to save my pixel children

:yeah:
Y3- I really didn't know what I was expecting with Mine but full-on Misery mode was not it, so it was a hell of a ride. The stuff with Joji Kazama was interesting too and got kinda sidelined by the other CIA crap. Infinitely interested in Kiryu's dead dad's twin brother appearing, but they did pretty much nothing with him ultimately

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 21, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Mine is cool solely because of his English language phone call giving absolutely zero fucks about how it would sound to american players

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i cant wait to play 6 because i want to play an entire game as kiryu again. the haruka chapter is making me miss seijimas :froggonk:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

That fact that the game doesn't even let you absolutely destroy the producer guy who tries to coerce Haruka into sleeping with him is an absolute crime.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Admiral Goodenough posted:

That fact that the game doesn't even let you absolutely destroy the producer guy who tries to coerce Haruka into sleeping with him is an absolute crime.

so many people in this chapter deserve to be hit with bikes

edit: oh poo poo akiyamas back hell yeah!

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 21, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not sure how much time kiryu spent socializing with anyone after nishiki. like, the bar chats in 6 were probably the most normal friendships kiryu ever had.

To be fair he spends most of the time between the end of 1 and ending of 6 being a foster dad, so really he’s not worse off than the tons of irl parents whose social lives go to poo poo after their firstborns.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Playing Yakuza Kiwami 2 on my PC after playing 0 and 1. It's great. I have one problem: I'm using a ps4 controller on steam and sometimes (not all the time!!! so its intermittent) the camera spins around or pans up. I'm not sure if its panning up to show me "hey this is a building you can go into, because, look at the sign!!!" or if it's just controller issues. Like I'm not sure if it's part of the game or not.

I normaly use ds4tool but I'm not right now, and it's mostly? working. Next time I play I'll try with ds4tool turned on.

I think I enabled (or disabled) the ps4 controller compatibility in steam because it fucks with streets of rage, and I have to turn it on for streets of rage and off for everything else, and vice versa.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

redreader posted:

Playing Yakuza Kiwami 2 on my PC after playing 0 and 1. It's great. I have one problem: I'm using a ps4 controller on steam and sometimes (not all the time!!! so its intermittent) the camera spins around or pans up. I'm not sure if its panning up to show me "hey this is a building you can go into, because, look at the sign!!!" or if it's just controller issues. Like I'm not sure if it's part of the game or not.

I normaly use ds4tool but I'm not right now, and it's mostly? working. Next time I play I'll try with ds4tool turned on.

I think I enabled (or disabled) the ps4 controller compatibility in steam because it fucks with streets of rage, and I have to turn it on for streets of rage and off for everything else, and vice versa.

That sounds like stick drift

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

redreader posted:

could you be brushing against the touchpad, causing it to be interpreted as a mouse?

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

redreader posted:

I had a more dramatic version of this where the look flipped straight up to the ceiling and stayed there until I unplugged a flight stick that had never troubled any other game up to that point. It's one of those games that'll accept input from pretty much anything you have connected, so check that first, otherwise as mentioned it's probably just stick drift and you need to manually add a bigger deadzone in whatever app you use.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I calibrated my gamepad on steam, decreased the sensitivity to in game to 2 and it seems to be fixed. You can also increase the dead zone in the steam big picture settings.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

ive played so much of this series i can almost perfectly predict when the guy about to reveal really important plot info to me is going to get shot and killed but i did not see crushed by construction equipment coming lol

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ASenileAnimal posted:

ive played so much of this series i can almost perfectly predict when the guy about to reveal really important plot info to me is going to get shot and killed but i did not see crushed by construction equipment coming lol

Dang you're also pretty good at posting untagged spoilers for those of us who are just about to start that game lol lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Get over it dude. Someone dies before revealing details in yakuza what a spoiler.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Finished Y5, onto Y6.

I love how Kiryu hands Haruto to random bystanders so he can smash street punks with mopeds. Also, the convenience store microwave heat action is amazing.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Not Yakuza, but the Dice & Cube game in Judgement is so addictive :eyepop: For a mini game, it's up there with the Y0/Y2 hostess game for me. I normally never pay for stuff in phone games, but SEGA could make a million dollars off me buying play passes if this was available as an app.

The theme song has been playing on a loop in my head for the past 24 hours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XnKufRx0EM

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wish every part of Yakuza 5 ended with you dealing with a 100 dude brawl.

Okay, now that I think about it, not Shinada's section though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RareAcumen posted:

I wish every part of Yakuza 5 ended with you dealing with a 100 dude brawl.

Okay, now that I think about it, not Shinada's section though.

It'd be an awesome moment if that happened though as long as he's just like gently caress it and uses a baseball bat for the entire fight.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Magic Mango posted:

Finished Y5, onto Y6.

I love how Kiryu hands Haruto to random bystanders so he can smash street punks with mopeds. Also, the convenience store microwave heat action is amazing.

This was the real shocker for me. Surely these punks won't start something when I'm literally holding a baby, right?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Y6, just started doing the bar stuff and it's pretty neat to finally do past game activities like karaoke and darts that now have an impact to the people around you. Plus, it's great that Kiryu's finally making friends at bars instead of just going there to drink everything in the drinks checklist.

Also, just finished the spear fishing quest line (I think) and of course Kiryu would first punch a gigantic shark in the face instead of trying anything else.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I beat Kiwami 2 so I'm wrapping up Clan Creator and Cabaret. I've run into a small problem. Early on in the game I did the first date with Koyuki and did really badly. I'm now about to do the Executive's League's Grand Prix match, I've completed Kana's substory and and close to doing Aika's, but I've yet to get another chance to another date (or a repeat date) with Koyuki. Is there something I need to do that I'm missing?

Also I love the Comedian outfit. I love Clark Kent Kiryu.

Also also I think it's really funny that Kiryu watches all his DVDs at the porn theatre because it's the only place he knows that has a DVD player.

E: Beat the Executive's League and now the Koyuki date is showing up!

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 24, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

OK, this one was just savage.

"Not all heroes wear cape. Apparently, some wear really outdated suits."

Kiryu isn't saving anyone's rear end anymore <:mad:>

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Stairmaster posted:

how the hell am I supposed to remember to do that a year from now

Hey stairmaster did you remember to watch Giri/Haji? I'm reminding you even though it's been on netflix forfuckingever now

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah watch it it's really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Man, I wish Yakuza had an interpretive dance section.

Carved a pumpkin.