Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The credits are rolling for Kiwami 2 and WHAT THE gently caress

Do i even want to bother with the Majima Saga story before going on to 3?

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah. majima doesn't have a lot of gameplay options, so you end up spamming his only two heat actions over and over through a very simple story.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nah. majima doesn't have a lot of gameplay options, so you end up spamming his only two heat actions over and over through a very simple story.

I'm so bad at remembering and pulling off the high level heat actions. In Kiwami I ended up just using the shoulder dislocation one at every opportunity since it was the only climax one I could reliably do and didn't constantly forget about. It also looks rad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes, it has some much needed closure for Majima's story from 0

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Shame Boy posted:

The credits are rolling for Kiwami 2 and WHAT THE gently caress

Do i even want to bother with the Majima Saga story before going on to 3?

You might as well, it’s a neat little conclusion to Majima’s story arc in 0, and, well, you’re playing 3 next. It’s not the Antichrist of gaming but it’s definitely something to play on Easy even if you like the combat in these games, and it’s generally pretty divorced from much of anything in 1/2 aside from Haruka.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I think i might split the difference and watch a lets play or something, unless this is truely something i want to experience to get the most out of Majima. I'm a little burnt out on the guy after 3 games in a row of him though.

What is the big deal about 3 anyway? I know from light thread viewing that people don't like the most because of combat changes or something?

Edit: Regarding 2's ending I knew the whole bomb thing woulden't stick because Kiryu is obviously in future games but really? The bomb was a fake all along? Terada was alive and behind the whole thing all along? Everything just kinda felt...slapped together at the end to throw more twists at you after all the "obvious" ones with Ryuji were out of the way. Or maybe they felt there needed tobe more to the whole Jing Weong mafia business. Which weren't very wiped out for a group that was suppose to be wiped out entirely in japan.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 28, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yakuza 3 is a game from 2009 (and Yakuza is rarely on the cutting edge of gameplay design anyway) mostly unchanged and it shows.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the combat is terrible, the main story is kind of a mess even by yakuza standards, and there are tons of incredibly bland substories, some of them available only during very brief windows. however, it is still a yakuza game so it is still pretty decent overall.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Yakuza 3 is a game from 2009 (and Yakuza is rarely on the cutting edge of gameplay design anyway) mostly unchanged and it shows.

Good LORD does it show! Going from Kiwami 2 to this is jarring to say the least. I feel like i had finally gotten used to the engine change from Zero and 1 to 2s Dragon Engine and now it's like i'm playing on an Xbox 360 again.

I also went ahead and put the game on Easy as suggested. Although the difficulty has not stopped the bombs this game's opening drops on you.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
One strange thing going from Kiwami 2 immediately to Y3 is the abrupt change in pace. You're going to be playing a pretty chill, relaxed game in the beginning of Y3, nothing like the intense tempo of the last chapters of K2.

Crack open a cold one, relax and don't forget to enjoy the Okinawa sun :frogc00l:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Majima Saga takes like an hour or two, in case you're like me and thought it was a whole 5-6 hour thing.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Im on chapter 12 of y3 and it took getting used to, ive done about 98 of the substories most are pretty boring with a few exceptions, ive only done them because they net a decent amount of xp for upgrades.

I dont think it is bad at all after getting re-used to ps3 graphics, after a few upgrades most of the fights arent too difficult. Its only kind of annoying when you catch a boss in an opening and land a couple hits only to be like unflinchable and counter you with some nasty combo. This happens in all the Yakuza games so far though

of course Kiryu and Sayama cant just live happily ever after

infraboy fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 28, 2020

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

infraboy posted:

I dont think it is bad at all after getting re-used to ps3 graphics, after a few upgrades most of the fights arent too difficult. Its only kind of annoying when you catch a boss in an opening and land a couple hits only to be like unflinchable and counter you with some nasty combo. This happens in all the Yakuza games so far though
As a Y3 defender I gotta admit that the fight with Lau Ka Long loving sucks rear end for this exact reason

quote:

of course Kiryu and Sayama cant just live happily ever after
Start of y3 spoilers: she's one of the only women to make it out of the series with dignity intact and not eating a cutscene bullet, so imo good for her, go fight that crime ma'am

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Wait this thread suggested NOT to do Majima saga? If you played 0 it provides closure to that storyline, just put it on easy and get through it.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

derra posted:

Wait this thread suggested NOT to do Majima saga? If you played 0 it provides closure to that storyline, just put it on easy and get through it.

Yeah for real, it's also got one of the best little boss intro name drop animations in the series. It's not arduous or difficult, it's just a much simpler combat system than 0 cus you only play it for maybe 2 hours tops

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Majima Saga is short and I cried at the end

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
lmao at skipping Majima Saga to dive headlong into Orphanage Adventures

And this is from somebody who fuckin' loves Orphanage Adventures

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
You're a big dummy if you don't play Majima saga, it's good. I don't know why anyone would skip it, unless you really hate Majima for some reason.

rt4 posted:

Majima Saga is short and I cried at the end
Same, the last scene really got to me :smith:

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 28, 2020

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Gimped Mad Dog Majima is really not fun to play and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to experience that. The story is great though.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Went back a few pages to see if this was answered but I couldn't find anything:

Having just played 0, K, K2, and 3, am I OK to get into Yakuza 7/Like a Dragon? I'm really excited to play it when it comes out but I also don't wanna spoil 4-6 too much for myself. I heard it was kind of a soft reboot of sorts, and that Ichiban and even the setting is largely unrelated, but like... am I gonna visit Kiryu's grave or fight Majima's ghost or whatever?

And yeah, Majima's sidestory in Kiwami 2 wasn't super fun to play but it was worth it to get that bit of closure I think.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Supposedly it has no real links to previous stories, allowing PC players to play it without worrying about spoilers

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

rt4 posted:

Supposedly it has no real links to previous stories, allowing PC players to play it without worrying about spoilers

Great, thanks!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
some old characters show up, but i dunno how important they are to the story or if they are mostly summons (there are summons in 7)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

some old characters show up, but i dunno how important they are to the story or if they are mostly summons (there are summons in 7)

Does anyone know if the summons are actual characters being involved in the story or just Ichiban hallucinating about cool Yakuza during combat? I saw a few spoiled in a YouTube thumbnail.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah I will be the Xth person to say Majima Saga is a wonderful resolution to his plot in 0 (imo having played Y0-3 this is still the best part of the series so far) even if the combat is bland. I also liked the ridiculously over the top final boss intro cutscene.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yeah. Majima saga takes 90 minutes at most. I powered through the entire thing in an evening without breaks. I was expecting something 3-5 hours. It’s 90min at best.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

More like the Majima Interlude

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Can't wait to get my hands on this drat game! Thanks for the answer.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. Majima saga takes 90 minutes at most. I powered through the entire thing in an evening without breaks. I was expecting something 3-5 hours. It’s 90min at best.

the rest of the time is spent perfecting his karaoke

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Welp, yall told me might as well do it. I did it, i'm crying like it's Yakuza Zero all over again.

Anyway back to Orphan Adventures i guess. We can't start dinner without her!!!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

just finished playing 6. that was one hell of a ride and now im even more hyped for 7. also started judgement and im digging the new guys combat style.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wow, the people who said Kiwami 2 was a step up from the first weren't kidding. What a gorgeous game. Guess I'll put buying 7 on hold until I've gotten through this one!

Kiryu's mouth moves funny though.

stev fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 29, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

stev posted:

Wow, the people who said Kiwami 2 was a step up from the first weren't kidding. What a gorgeous game. Guess I'll put buying 7 on hold until I've gotten through this one!

Kiryu's mouth moves funny though.

2 was good enough that i dont think i could stomach 3 so im just not playing 3-6 until theyre available on pc and if thats never well.. then thats what it is

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
From game to game sometimes the facial animations are really loving bad. Yakuza 6 suffers from it too where the head and face are completely frozen and only the lower jaw is moving. It’s incredibly distracting once you notice it.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Verviticus posted:

2 was good enough that i dont think i could stomach 3 so im just not playing 3-6 until theyre available on pc and if thats never well.. then thats what it is

"I can't stomach 3 so I'll wait until it's available on a system even more hilariously overpowered to play a completely unchanged 3"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
pc has the advantage of cheating past the minigames you don't like

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m of the opinion that 3-5 don’t play significantly worse than 0 or Kiwami. 3 had some bullshit blocking enemies but they’re all well worth playing and have not aged poorly at all.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

man nurse posted:

I’m of the opinion that 3-5 don’t play significantly worse than 0 or Kiwami. 3 had some bullshit blocking enemies but they’re all well worth playing and have not aged poorly at all.

This is a bold faced lie.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

man nurse posted:

what helped in 3 and to some extent 4 and 5 was to always try and get behind whoever youre fighting and on bosses never go for long combos because youll get blocked/countered. 3 was annoying because your attacks and heat moves did kinda poo poo damage in general so fights really dragged. it was the only one i ended up playing through on easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Once you get back to Kamurocho, you could bait setups for Parry or Tiger Drop. After blocking certain Kiryu strings enemies will stick out a limb that you can punish. Depending on the enemy and difficulty you would use different strings, but that really only applies to coliseum bouts anyway. I know I’ve posted this in the thread before when Y3 was fresh in my mind if you want to check the strings.

Honestly I found it harder to adjust to Yagami’s style, where blocking is much more important than it is for Kiryu.