Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I want the drat PS5 version

Sony please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want the PS5 version, but also at the same time I can't decide if I care since it's not like I can use my PS4 version save to do NG+ with it :negative:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m gonna play the entire motherfucker over again. It was good enough and it’s been long enough that I’d like to revisit a shinier version.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I probably will at some point, I was just excited to go back through on Legend difficulty with all my leveled-up jobs and strong gear and was waiting for the PS5 upgrade before I started. This has resulted in me being quite owned, unfortunately.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Is there any place I could buy the Like a Dragon soundtrack? I can't seem to find anything other than the karaoke songs on spotify. I want the whole thing either on a disc or digital mp3s

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fun little thing for you to read about today: Yakuza aesthetic is seeping into whole other possibly inappropriate games with the release of Dead by Daylight's newest chapter "All-Kill," which is also a collaboration with K-Pop group BTS.

This is Ji-Woon Hak, who looks a hell of a lot like and has a pretty similar name to Joon-Gi Han, and he likes to use baseball bats and knives to bludgeon and stab people to death. He's a psycho who laughs a lot, especially when pulling out his knife, and he kills you in a spooky overgrown horror Kamurocho. He's basically a Yakuzasona of Majima and Joon-Gi, and I am all for it. DBD has special licensed crossover costumes for some characters (i.e. Legion gets Silent Hill's Robbie the Rabbit) so deep down I'm hoping this dude gets a Majima conversion costume.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there any place I could buy the Like a Dragon soundtrack? I can't seem to find anything other than the karaoke songs on spotify. I want the whole thing either on a disc or digital mp3s

I looked it up on VGMDB and apparently the only available LAD soundtracks available right now are short karaoke discs featuring the hits from the past and LAD itself. No official soundtrack release yet.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Thanks for checking. That sucks. There are a ton of bangers in this game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Loved LAD, but 80+ hours was good for me. If I were to download the PS5 version it'd be to load up my save, put on the turn-off-random-encounters item and just walk down Osaka a few times, drooling at the restaurants.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

PS5 upgrade is live, for anyone who was waiting on it

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I'm playing Yakuza 4, and enjoying it. Except I am annoyed with being Saejima and hiding from the police when I want to move anywhere, or else get an instant game over and reload.
Also, is this the one that everyone recommended getting sacred tree armour before the final boss?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you gotta finish everyone's training and give the items you get to the cop

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Also stock him up with staminan sparks/royales because he's useless without heat

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Alright next up on the road to yakuza 5 completion: doing the arena with Shinada: man this is going to suck

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Policenaut posted:

This is Ji-Woon Hak, who looks a hell of a lot like and has a pretty similar name to Joon-Gi Han, and he likes to use baseball bats and knives to bludgeon and stab people to death. He's a psycho who laughs a lot, especially when pulling out his knife, and he kills you in a spooky overgrown horror Kamurocho. He's basically a Yakuzasona of Majima and Joon-Gi, and I am all for it. DBD has special licensed crossover costumes for some characters (i.e. Legion gets Silent Hill's Robbie the Rabbit) so deep down I'm hoping this dude gets a Majima conversion costume.

Yeah, wow, that's basically Joon-Gi. Whenever he gets close to a player, Theory of Beauty should just start playing.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

bro even the trophies are separate for the ps5 LAD upgrade

i guess that kinda pairs well with the whole non-transferable save data thing

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Raine posted:

bro even the trophies are separate for the ps5 LAD upgrade

i guess that kinda pairs well with the whole non-transferable save data thing

The trophies are separate for all PS4 -> PS5 titles.

For the ones where you can import your save it unlocks all the trophies you’ve already done when you do the import, I was sat on the menu screen for the Spider-Man remaster with trophy notifications popping for like 3 minutes.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Raine posted:

I plan to go back to 100% y0, even if i gotta do the dirty and finally learn how to play mahjong.

update on this now that i got 100% completion (saved mahjong for the last 6 CP):

mahjong is actually :krad: and i play it for fun now (my wife used to play rummy a lot and is now also hooked)

imo shogi should be getting a worse rap, because even slightly more interesting chess sucks. Luckily, the completion metrics were easy.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I like Shogi actually, the way you can place captured pieces adds a lot of complexity to the chess formula

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Raine posted:

update on this now that i got 100% completion (saved mahjong for the last 6 CP):

mahjong is actually :krad: and i play it for fun now (my wife used to play rummy a lot and is now also hooked)

imo shogi should be getting a worse rap, because even slightly more interesting chess sucks. Luckily, the completion metrics were easy.

once Mahjong clicks for you, you really just become an old asian grandma sitting around her mahjong table. It is known.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's also really popular as a Fighting Game Community retirement home game.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

mahjong has turned out to be super fun, and probably makes me a boomer or whatever, but it seems like it would be a nightmare to play in real life

probably weird to say but it has strong poker vibes, just longer and with added twists

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Raine posted:

mahjong has turned out to be super fun, and probably makes me a boomer or whatever, but it seems like it would be a nightmare to play in real life

probably weird to say but it has strong poker vibes, just longer and with added twists

Nah they have these awesome tables that do all the work for you nowadays https://youtu.be/N1fY2xH062w

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/YulinKuang/status/1346374253378039808

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I could never play Mahjong in real life because in like every mahjong video game I play I rely hard on like prompts and being able to see the full board at all times perfectly and such. "Hey can I maybe win this round?" mashing square to see if the RIICHI prompt appears.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

These are cool as hell, but once you get the hang of it, building a nice neat wall is extremely satisfying.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 3, 2021

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Nah they have these awesome tables that do all the work for you nowadays https://youtu.be/N1fY2xH062w

yeah that poo poo is sick, but i think the absolute worst part about playing mahjong in real life wouldn't be the tiles themselves

i was thinking more the fact you have to memorize the weird scoring system and every tile combination to declare when you win, since there are combinations and situational bonuses which can stack or be upgraded depending on the winning hand

the game does all that nerd math/memorization poo poo for me so i can turn my brain off like god intended

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What purpose does the wall in mahjong actually serve

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's an elaborate anti-cheating mechanism.

Alternatively, because it's cool as hell.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So you use it to obscure your hand? What tiles do you use to build it with?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Essentially you set up the wall and East rolls a pair of six-sided dice. Starting from the dealer, count each side of the wall counter-clockwise until you reach that number. Then, from that wall, start counting from the left hand side of that wall until you hit the number again. Make a break, count back 7, make another break. This forms the dead wall, a set of tiles that are never drawn (and also form the dora indicators). Then people start taking tiles from the left of the dead wall, and play starts.

Allegedly this is to prevent cheating, because even if you manage to rig the wall partially you have no control over where drawing tiles starts or what the dead wall is.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Iirc in the Mahjong documentary Akagi cheating is integral to the experience however

I should learn how to play enough to actually complete a game in Yakuza someday, but the cheating tiles just seem so much easier..

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Iirc in the Mahjong documentary Akagi cheating is integral to the experience however

I should learn how to play enough to actually complete a game in Yakuza someday, but the cheating tiles just seem so much easier..

no cheating tiles in y0 at least

how to win at mahjong ez pz: discard tiles with the goal of making 4 melds (a meld is either a run 1,2,3 etc or a triplet 3,3,3 etc) and one pair (two identical tiles) without stealing

the reason not to steal is because if you press square when you're one tile from winning (just press square every turn if you're not sure), you can declare riichi, which auto-plays the game until you either draw a winning tile or someone discards it so you can steal

also if you steal it becomes harder to win as it lessens the value of your hand in most cases

there's more to the game and i still suck, but it's pretty easy to consistently win at given a bit of luck

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Just started Fist of the North Star in earnest, this is pretty great but I think the constant mentioning of the moves is gonna grate on me after about 10 hours

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Once you unlock perfect channelling you won't hear them as much but yeah it gets old quick lol

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Elvis_Maximus posted:

My dream is to understand enough of mahjong to watch Akagi someday

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm obviously behind everyone else but I finally finished Yakuza 3 Remastered after putting it off for several months and I have...some thoughts! I think the reason I stalled out so much the first time is trying to play it right after Kiwami 2 and Judgement which makes the tech downgrades way more painful.

-Okinawa is pretty good? All the little island tourist life touches and subquests and such really set it apart, and if it was slightly bigger and you could actually move around the map more freely a la K2/6 it would be great. I assume it's been memory-holed like the lady cop and Kazama's secret twin, but they should totally bring it back at some point.
-The combat is dogshit, even after finding every master and unlocking most of the secret moves. Just dreadful. That one cigarette heat action you can learn from VR Majima is neat though!
-I really liked the detective subquest even if it's a little clunky (everything in this game is), it's like a little proof of concept for Judgement. It also had more work put into it than like...several parts of the main plot.
-I liked the hitman subquest, though it's weird that the longest subquest in the game revolves around a secret yakuza-retirement organization founded by Kashiwagi in a giant castle that's been in every game but is never used or referenced again before or after.
-I liked the orphanage parts, but it's funny how low stakes the Tojo aspect of the plot is. The final boss has a horse tattoo on his back, as if to say 'look, this guy is just a speedbump to Kiryu, let's just wrap this up'. You don't even fight one of the three liutenants! He just vanishes and then awkwardly shows up for a few minutes at the end! You never even see his cool back tattoo!
-Speaking of, I haven't played YLAD yet, but I thought it was funny that so much of the plot involves a shady yakuza from Yokohama and his triad connections. I assume literally none of this is ever referenced in the game actually set in Yokohama though.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm obviously behind everyone else but I finally finished Yakuza 3 Remastered after putting it off for several months and I have...some thoughts!
-I liked the hitman subquest, though it's weird that the longest subquest in the game revolves around a secret yakuza-retirement organization founded by Kashiwagi in a giant castle that's been in every game but is never used or referenced again before or after.

Pretty sure those guys are back in 4 but I don't remember in what way

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I love playing Mahjong but its so much easier with cards its ridiculous.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Pretty sure those guys are back in 4 but I don't remember in what way

One of them dies saving Saejima, I think....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

One of them dies saving Saejima, I think....

that's a different guy, the assassins just come up in a "hey remember these guys" substory

anyway in yakuza 5 i just spent the last two days driving a taxicab, sometimes safely, sometimes not