Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm obviously behind everyone else but I finally finished Yakuza 3 Remastered

I'm still playing Yakuza 3 and haven't even gotten out of Okinawa yet :sweatdrop:

I'm gonna beat that Aqua Sky staff member for the crime of being very pleasant and accommodating in playing rotation pool with me :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sensible Taxi is oddly a joy

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

anyway in yakuza 5 i just spent the last two days driving a taxicab, sometimes safely, sometimes not

I've spent an obscene amount of time hunting in the mountains.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I really enjoyed the baseball stuff but it was the shortest of the bunch unfortunately

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I really enjoyed the baseball stuff but it was the shortest of the bunch unfortunately

I like the Shinada section in general. Your sidekick is a loan shark who's only helping you to ensure you don't die before you pay off your debt. The concept of an ex-baseball star who leaves the game in disgrace and becomes an adult entertainment reviewer reminds me a lot of Eastbound & Down. The expansion of the batting cage minigame's good. It's just a very fun section.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Do they run out of the actual driving Taxi missions fairly fast? After the first like 4 or 5 the rest of these have been just dialog choice missions and the street racing side of things that i still haven't done much with yet.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

About to start Kiwami this weekend, I seem to remember someone saying to just stick it on Easy and breeze through?

Or was that Yakuza 3? Either way I'm excited to continue my best friend Kiryu's adventures after completing my other best friend Ichiban's story

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Elvis_Maximus posted:

About to start Kiwami this weekend, I seem to remember someone saying to just stick it on Easy and breeze through?

Or was that Yakuza 3?
Both, honestly.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Shame Boy posted:

Do they run out of the actual driving Taxi missions fairly fast? After the first like 4 or 5 the rest of these have been just dialog choice missions and the street racing side of things that i still haven't done much with yet.
i learned extremely late that the top choices in the mission list are always driving and the bottom ones are always therapy sessions. so if you always just pick the first mission offered (like i indeed did) you will first complete all driving missions and then all the dialogue missions.

but yeah there aren't a huge amount of them either way. better that way than a bunch of repeat routes and tasks, imo. nagoya (uh, that's the name of kiryu's city, right?) isn't that big.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Or was that Yakuza 3? Either way I'm excited to continue my best friend Kiryu's adventures after completing my other best friend Ichiban's story

Play on easy and don't get sucked into grinding Majima fights. I must have spent more time fighting him than on the actual game and I still didn't get to the end of that dumb story.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Both on easy theyre the worst two on combat by miles

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kiwami was the first and only time in this series where a boss made me look up walkthroughs because i thought i had to be doing something wrong

nope, just lousy design

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I still haven't played 4-6 but my hot take is that, other than the terrible regen boss mechanic in K1, 0/Kiwami's combat is better than Kiwami 2's simply because switching between three styles is much more interesting for all the inevitable random encounters than K2's singular floaty-chargey style

3's is absolutely terrible though, yes

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

kiwami was the first and only time in this series where a boss made me look up walkthroughs because i thought i had to be doing something wrong

nope, just lousy design

Was this the rooftop fight with the guy who mercs Shinji and Reina? I hated that fight with a passion.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

God that dude doesn't even attack, he just runs around for 30 minutes dodging every punch you throw it's infuriating

Kiwami doesn't have bad combat but its encounter design is poo poo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Chieves posted:

Was this the rooftop fight with the guy who mercs Shinji and Reina? I hated that fight with a passion.

no, the battle with shimano in the early game, where he's constantly regenerating health because you don't yet have the skill that stops bosses from doing that

Weedle
May 31, 2006

god drat that shimano fight was so bad. i had mentally blocked it out but yikes

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What happens if you don't fulfill Nick's conditions in the management game for Y7?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Oxxidation posted:

no, the battle with shimano in the early game, where he's constantly regenerating health because you don't yet have the skill that stops bosses from doing that

Thats the fight at the funeral, right? You can absolutely get the skill that stops that during that fight, but if I remember right it unlocks the ability to buy it pretty much at the start of that fight (or possibly slightly before it), so if you have saved some skill points you can buy it and use it. Problem is of course that it doesnt tell you you might need to do that, so you might very easily have spent your skill points on other things already. I always tell people to save enough skill points to buy the kiwami move then buy it when they need it. I think someone said that any weapon heat move also stops the regeneration, but I havent tested that myself.

To be honest the decision to make the kiwami moves purchasable skills that cost skill points in YK is really really dumb. They should have been automatically locked through progression; Have a mid-fight cut scene where Shimano starts powering up, Kiryu gives a "gently caress that noise" frown, Kiwami move unlocks, heat bar fills up and button prompt appears.

I may be misremembering, but I think you use a kiwami move in an earlier fight to tutorialise you about them? Which compounds the problem because you may then reasonably assume its an ability you have rather than 3 moves you have to use XP to unlock.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I may be misremembering, but I think you use a kiwami move in an earlier fight to tutorialise you about them? Which compounds the problem because you may then reasonably assume its an ability you have rather than 3 moves you have to use XP to unlock.

No, you’re not misremembering this is definitely a thing that happens and it’s dumb as gently caress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bogart posted:

What happens if you don't fulfill Nick's conditions in the management game for Y7?

IIRC it resets your progress to the loan point and tells you try again.

The reason nobody knows is because this is basically impossible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the kiwami heat action skills are cheap to purchase and are available immediately. it's very easy to come into that fight with all of them learned already, it's just that the game doesn't actually tell you this.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah if you know you need to buy them it’s no big deal, the pitfall is the game showing you how it works and not then saying “but Kiryu forgot how to do that in prison so he’s going to need to buy it again”.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Before you've even finished the game you'll be sitting on a mountain of EXP but no way to spend it, and I didn't finish it because the loving fight in Shangri-La broke my patience for getting constantly knocked down.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

As I recall the Kiwami thing is even more insidious: if you don't grind at least a little bit, and really only maybe like 5-10 minutes, but if you don't you're gonna have enough XP for one of the Kiwami moves so if you just naively play normally you have a 2/3 chance of walking into the fight with a heat move, but with the wrong one.

And the section in which you can "grind" is a single stretch of road so you'll automatically want to move on as soon as you can to open the game up a bit more.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Is it obvious where that happens? Don't wanna get stuck with the wrong one!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Just beeline the Rush style kiwami move, that's the one you want. Alternately, any heat action will cancel the regen so bring a stack of knives or something.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kiwami 1 was the only game where i bothered to carry around tauriners

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Is it obvious where that happens? Don't wanna get stuck with the wrong one!

Actually you can just buy a random weapon from a guy at the funeral and then pull it out and do a heat move whenever the boss starts to regenerate health if you don't have the right heat move yet (or can't be bothered to switch around). I used an umbrella and kept it on me the entire game for that reason :eng101:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or does everyone in 4 have gigantic hands?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All the better to punch you with

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Finally found time to beat the postgame in LAD yesterday and it was extremely easy. Now I'm in the post post game and taking everyone's advice to get ready for it. I also found a decent guide on gamefaqs that gives some good advice. The grind is gonna suck but it'll be worth it to finally have a hard challenge.

Even if it's too hard and I give up I still loved the hell out of this game. I had so much fun.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

rt4 posted:

Is it just me or does everyone in 4 have gigantic hands?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
https://twitter.com/SpookyMajora/status/1367677631731281921?s=20

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Just beeline the Rush style kiwami move, that's the one you want. Alternately, any heat action will cancel the regen so bring a stack of knives or something.

I'm pretty sure the Shimano fight has a bunch of lanterns everywhere anyway so you could just use those.

You'd have to have the creativity to try and activate another heat move on a regenerating boss though, which is a lot to ask in the heat of an enemy recovering 70% of a health bar.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm pretty sure the Shimano fight has a bunch of lanterns everywhere anyway so you could just use those.

You'd have to have the creativity to try and activate another heat move on a regenerating boss though, which is a lot to ask in the heat of an enemy recovering 70% of a health bar.

There are two lanterns.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I couldnt help notice in 4 how many thugs were wearing nice sweaters.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Speaking of 4 I recall hearing something about when playing as Saejima to not pick up locker keys. That is right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

goblin week posted:

There are two lanterns.

I must've been thinking of the mob run in 0 then.

I like the heat moves so I bought a bat or pipe or something from Le Marche super early into the game for Majima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I couldnt help notice in 4 how many thugs were wearing nice sweaters.

Open skull!!