Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shinada is a baseball paladin, fueled by his reverence for the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Putting Kiryu's story last was a great idea since you get to build up Akiyama and Tanimura into brick shithouses, then they try and get in Kiryu's way and he just completely bulldozes them, and they're left lying on the floor going,"What the gently caress was that!?!? :stare:"

Oh in Like a Dragon takes that fun power differential and plays well with it. Really resonates. spoilers, that mysterious punch guy is kiryu and like they really commit to that bit I love it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished Y4, man that ending is a poo poo show. With the rubber bullets, nonstop doublecrossing. loving makes Y2's twist seem standard(terada shennigans) . I did like the 4 way boss fight that was fun. Saejima's fight was particularly fun.

All in all it was a very good experience throughout. I really liked Saejima's character and alot of the plot has to do with his backstory so I enjoyed the story more evenly than say Y3. The different styles of the characters made it so the combat didn't get stale. Even though you can do different stuff with Kiryu in Y3, usually once you get that one strong ability you just spam that and it gets rid of the variety. I was waiting for a multiple protag game since I first played Y0. The sidequests were fun, although I kinda felt rushed to do them with all the character swapping, I know at the end they let you complete any missing stuff but by that point I think I had gotten 90% of the sidequest and was just edging to see the finale.

Maybe I'll play Fist of the North Star before heading to Y5.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The ending is a mess, but I do have to tip my hat to "everybody pick an rear end to kick" as a pretty solid one liner

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The jankiest part of the ending is probably that everyone gets a 1 v 1 fight they probably clown on if you kept up with substories/training (and not even that with Kiryu) except Tanimura, who gets the actual climatic fight against a small army, which ends up retroactively working as a send off with all the BS drama that killed his chances of coming back but still feels off

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Last Celebration posted:

The jankiest part of the ending is probably that everyone gets a 1 v 1 fight they probably clown on if you kept up with substories/training (and not even that with Kiryu) except Tanimura, who gets the actual climatic fight against a small army, which ends up retroactively working as a send off with all the BS drama that killed his chances of coming back but still feels off

Lol this kinda rules though

Kiryu as he effortlessly tiger drops Daigo's entire health bar in ten seconds: Hey Tanimura you're good fighting an entire SWAT team while a guy shoots hundreds of bullets at you, right? I'll just be hanging out down here, let me know how it goes.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm finally picking up on YK2 after waiting to upgrade my PC first aaaaaand... It still has a lot of hitching and the title screen lags like mad. I'm beginning to think the problem was never my old PC and this port might have issues!

The game's good when it's running so far, made it to chapter 2 and began running around loving people up and devouring whole restaurants for XP

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Lol this kinda rules though

Kiryu as he effortlessly tiger drops Daigo's entire health bar in ten seconds: Hey Tanimura you're good fighting an entire SWAT team while a guy shoots hundreds of bullets at you, right? I'll just be hanging out down here, let me know how it goes.

father of the year kiryu knows that his kids won't grow if he solves all their problems for them

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/Rainbow6Game/status/1552715661863968768

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wherever Kiryu goes, Majima is never far behind him

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I went 0-6-K1-K2, skipped 3-4-5 and I don't feel like I'm missing much. I just wish I could have waited on 6 til after the Kiwamis.

Playing LAD now, about 20 hours in and loving every bit of it. Just unlocked the 5th party member Eri, I had no idea she was a PC! Are there class recommendations out there? Should I be switching around after I hit X rank?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I will say you will save yourself some frustration in the hardest fights in the late game if you put in the effort to get the cross-class lightning and ice attack skills on all your active party members. Elements don't matter much in LAD until suddenly they matter a lot.

You can wait to do this until you can hit those levels quickly though. Just experiment with jobs or pick what looks cool early on.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Trucker Hat posted:

I went 0-6-K1-K2, skipped 3-4-5 and I don't feel like I'm missing much. I just wish I could have waited on 6 til after the Kiwamis.

Playing LAD now, about 20 hours in and loving every bit of it. Just unlocked the 5th party member Eri, I had no idea she was a PC! Are there class recommendations out there? Should I be switching around after I hit X rank?

Well Eri's default class is definitely strong enough that the only reasons to swap her out are to pick up crossclass skills and stat boosts, or to make her your dedicated Dealer. Darts Airstrike is the most busted boss killer skill in the game bar none and Saeko is probably better as a healer so switching Eri to Dealer is how a lot of people run her. Not that people don't run double Dealer with Saeko swapped in, too, it's just after a certain point having higher heal throughput than a Musician's party regen or Ichi bring Ichi comes in pretty handy.

Not that the main story is hard enough to require abusing a blatantly OP skill, it's just nice to know it's an option.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Trucker Hat posted:

I went 0-6-K1-K2, skipped 3-4-5

No offense, but you're a monster.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nothing is unworkable.

I was a freak that used gardening to get 20/10 Kiwami Lunchboxes. I used them, I actually used them. Suddenly, with kinda warning, you will too.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

Nothing is unworkable.

I was a freak that used gardening to get 20/10 Kiwami Lunchboxes. I used them, I actually used them. Suddenly, with kinda warning, you will too.

Disgusting, what if you'd needed them for a boss later in the game!!

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
just completed 4 myself and i gotta say i like how the mechanics seemed to make you atleast as sly as boss characters with all the evasion/counters/super armor even though it seemed to weaken the tigerdrop from 3. kiwami 1 finale still my fave at the moment wrt mechanics between me and the boss.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Nothing is unworkable.

This was the tech I wasn't going to mention

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Disgusting, what if you'd needed them for a boss later in the game!!

He's what you need em for.

Runa posted:

This was the tech I wasn't going to mention

You are right, maybe I should spoiler But that is the tech that let me keep Saeko in her base class kungfu-ing people rather than turning her into Haruko-healer. I configured most of my dudes to pick up the self heal and ice move from Host or their base class.

I also experimented with making Adachi a musician in the early game. I do not think that heal over time would scale well and I never could get the Volt mechanic to work.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ulio posted:

Ya when I think back at it, the Kiryu Morning Glory bits were some of the best writing in that game. It's basic stuff like high school bullying or puppy love but its done so well. Most games can't make you care for side characters such as the kids who get very little screen time but I think in Y3 they do a good job. Y3 is definitely a slog though because of the overarching plot. Like couldn't have Kiryu just asked Daigo for some money and moved somewhere. Ya it sucks for the orphans to "lose" their house but way less people could have died that way. Y3 in a lot of way feels like a spinoff.

Going through Y4 now and having played Judgement as well, I definitely can tell Yokoyama's writing bias. Everything has to be connected to some event years ago, atleast one baddie flipping to become good. I mean it's done well so I can't complain but hopefully they try some newer things in the end of Y4.

I'd rather play a whole game of Morning Glory than drag Kiryu back out to Tokyo. They could still find plenty of excuses for fights, but it 100% feels bad to go from being orphan caretaker to janky ps2 puncher. Let Kiryu raise these drat kids, give me more heartwarming foibles to help them sort through. Don't get anyone saying it's a slog. How is that a slog, but going back to kabukicho to do... the exact same crap you always done there, except this time the combat isn't fun, not a slog?!?

The worst part of yakuza 3 is picking up items with your two slot inventory.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Let Kiryu beat up that dick principal in 3

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

He's what you need em for.

I know, I was just making a joke because I can never bring myself to use items :shobon:

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

SpiderLink posted:

No offense, but you're a monster.

Turn 3-4-5 into Kiwamis and I'll be all in.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

5 honestly holds up, it's just 3 and 4 that are a little uneven now

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

holding out for Kiwami Kiwami, personally

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ainsley McTree posted:

5 honestly holds up, it's just 3 and 4 that are a little uneven now

Yeah, 5 is just a genuinely good (even great) game.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Parts of Yakuza 5 are great (especially Kiryu's) but 5 playable characters is way too many (two is the perfect number, and 0's the best game. Coincidence?) and big parts of the plot basically just get fridged for ~forty hours.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
5 is my favorite because there's an insane amount of poo poo to do in the game the plot is nonsense lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Randallteal posted:

big parts of the plot basically just get fridged for ~forty hours.

To be fair, the way I play these games, the plot is frequently sidelined for scores of hours while Kiryu helps a local shop owner teach a big corporate executive trying to run them out of business an important lesson about the value of community and the importance of hand-crafted goods made with love over factory assembly goods.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

5 is my favorite because there's an insane amount of poo poo to do in the game the plot is nonsense lol

:hfive:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Haruka stuff could be a little shorter, mostly because it's really repetitive and it's the same song over and over.

Saejima's is the one that felt like forever for me, but that's because they stick an entire hunting game in between a jail section and a whole town for him.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yakuza 5 is just 4 completely stand-alone stories and then one does of top-grade pure-strain Yakuza nonsense to cap things off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
saejima's problem in 5 is flow. you can ditch the mountain town almost immediately, but then you go to the worst city in the entire franchise that is an enormous pain in the rear end to traverse. there is also no reason to go back to the mountain, story-wise. so they make doing saejima's side content as unappealing as possible.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Shinada's portion could be removed and I wouldn't miss it at all. It's probably the first time I just mainlined the story so I could be done with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really dug Saejima's hunting adventures, even if it absolutely completely derails the pace of the story as presented. I also found his prison stuff in that game far better than it was in 4, I was initially dreading going back but felt like they'd figured out how to make it far more palatable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
saejima's second prison escape ends with a big awesome brawl instead of a nasty boss followed by a nastier boss. unfortunately, while it was the same thing done better, it was still the same thing.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Shinada's story was the best precisely because it had nothing to do with anything else. Just a nice little self-contained story about a total loser who fucks more than every other Yakuza protagonist combined.

My full ranking goes Shinanda > Kiryu > Saejim'a Hunting Sidequest > Haruka/Akiyama > The Rest of Saejima's Chapter

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really don’t understand why they sent him off to jail again, like, when I first booted up his chapter I thought it was all gonna take place offscreen as an excuse to have him out of the picture while poo poo hit the fan, and then his chapters would be about investigating a new town while working through the fallout of the events that happened while he was gone. You know, like they did with Kiryu in Yakuza 1. And Yakuza 6. And with Ichiban in Yakuza 7.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Sujimon Sensei's voice is bugging me. I know that drat voice but it's uncredited as far as I know and once I figure it out or get told I'm gonna be like "oh yeah of loving course"

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Shinada is the only plot in Yakuza 5 that actually works since he's not connected at all to the raving nonsense that is most of the main plot or the idol garbage with Haruka.

5 is a good game but the plot barely manages to outdo 4 by at least being pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm not sure if the Haruka stuff is annoying because there's like two songs ever, or actually brilliant because being a pop star means performing the same song sover and over