Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does Zero keep the ability to avoid literally every random encounter by walking slowly? That made 5 so much less annoying when doing sidequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oxxidation posted:

The combat in this game seriously makes me wince.

Batman would tell these guys to take it down a notch or five.

This game feels like Ramses Smuckles the Video Game.

"A gang of delinquents was found severely beaten behind a Don Quijote earlier today. They said they did not wish to press charges on their attacker and instead thanked him for a valuable lesson."

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

does the game ever show you on the mini-map where the substories are like 5 did or do i have to go around the map searching for em?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Word to the wise: the game doesn't have a permanent autosave, which I learned the hard way. I lost over 3 hours of progress because despite having continue points for deaths etc, all these autosaves are lost when you quit playing unless you loving manually save your game.

In 2017.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Der Shovel posted:

Word to the wise: the game doesn't have a permanent autosave, which I learned the hard way. I lost over 3 hours of progress because despite having continue points for deaths etc, all these autosaves are lost when you quit playing unless you loving manually save your game.

In 2017.
The game is from 2015 though. 6 does have auto save.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's always safe to assume that you need to manual save with all Japanese games.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I guess it says a lot about Yakuza 0 that despite having to replay a ton of poo poo I'm loving every minute of it.

Seriously, this is one of the most fun gaming experiences I've had in ages.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Chexoid posted:

How, after 7 yakuza games, there's still a street thug in Japan who will just pick a fight with Kiryu for no reason is beyond me.

My personal theory is that challenging Kiryu is like some kind of practical joke for the thugs, Yakuza, and other denizens of Kamurocho. Like everyone got beat up by Kiryu when they were younger and when they get new recruits they're like "hey if you see this dude you should go shake him down it'll be easy!' and they just sit back and laugh.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Policenaut posted:

My personal theory is that challenging Kiryu is like some kind of practical joke for the thugs, Yakuza, and other denizens of Kamurocho. Like everyone got beat up by Kiryu when they were younger and when they get new recruits they're like "hey if you see this dude you should go shake him down it'll be easy!' and they just sit back and laugh.

4's gang encounters were a good explanation as well, with a ton of people deciding this is their chance to make a name when they learn Kiryu's back in town and then it turns out they're all being manipulated behind the scenes specifically to gently caress with Kiryu anyway.

I really don't know who sees Saejima and decides he's the bum they want to take their aggression out on, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Policenaut posted:

yea there has to be a dude hanging around being all 'hey you know that dude? Yea he's a complete pushover, his whole tough guy look is just an act to keep out of trouble, go shake him down and you'll look really cool' and then just laughing and laughing as their 'friend' gets picked up and slammed through a lamp post

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I think the Artful Dodger does exactly that. I remember him throwing shade on Kiryu to the other protagonists
Or it's the Karaoke Girls who tell Stories of a grey suited man singing enka.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

They also just might not know what he looks like, despite hearing about him. Kiryu was able to work somewhat anonymously as a taxi driver.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
I can't seem to find Yakuza 0 on the PSN store for europe,
anyone got a clue about that?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Only 12 hours to go :sweatdrop:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

precision posted:

Only 12 30 hours to go :sweatdrop:

Dammit work :negative:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ok realtalk: is there any other series in videogames that goes into all the heavy poo poo this one does? Like I got to the point where whoremonger helps a victim of buman trafficking and its just like, in this game alone we've dealt with sexual violence in the idol industry, sexual slavery and other poo poo

The only one I can even vaguely remember was Watch Dogs, which had you murdering traffickers and Saints Row where you were one

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Hello, please find attached your standard issue shitposting tool from now on.

Unrelated, the kids and teens in this game feel way more crazy than usual.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I actually didn't know this was coming out in America until a couple of days ago- I never got into this series much but this seems like as good a starting point as any. Preordered.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fadderman posted:

I can't seem to find Yakuza 0 on the PSN store for europe,
anyone got a clue about that?

There no preorder you have to wait until it's actually out.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I went and preordered the game. Clerk pulled out a sealed, shelf-ready copy (with price tag and all) to verify the data. So close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJHaq_7gFXg

Guess I'll just have to loop Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan main theme for the rest of the day.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

FutureFriend posted:

does the game ever show you on the mini-map where the substories are like 5 did or do i have to go around the map searching for em?

Just got to Majima's starting chapter (Thank you, street date breaking store!), and as far as I can tell starting sub stories are not marked. They do have markings once you started it, though.

Also, even relatively early on there are very aggressive enemies that could stunlock you into submission if you are not paying attention. Triple so if you're in Beast style.

If you are in Beast style and near a large pickup, a fight could be over in seconds. Otherwise...pretend I posted that gif of Homer Simpson being beat up by Not-Mike Tyson.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 23, 2017

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

precision posted:

Does Zero keep the ability to avoid literally every random encounter by walking slowly? That made 5 so much less annoying when doing sidequests.

You can throw money into the air and they'll go chase after it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Been dying to get into this series ever since 5 came out, so I loving leaped on the chance with 0. Super stoked for it, this series looks fresh as hell

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Dreams come true.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Unlucky7 posted:

Just got to Majima's starting chapter (Thank you, street date breaking store!), and as far as I can tell starting sub stories are not marked. They do have markings once you started it, though.

uuughhh noooooo

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Wait what? This game has no patch or install? Amazing!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's been out for two years in Japan so there wasn't likely to be a new patch at launch unless they caught a big gently caress up in the localisation too late. There's always an install on PS4 games but I guess it's quick enough to not be noticeable.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Policenaut posted:

Also, street thugs just can't resist fighting anyone who has that old man smell.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

You can throw money into the air and they'll go chase after it.
Both a good feature and username/post.

Unlucky7 posted:

That sounds like a bizarre step backwards to take.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think getting the poo poo kicked out of you by Kiryu is just a badge of honor for the yakuza

It's a badge that literally everyone has at this point but still

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hope Revelations are still in this game but since its 1988 and you cant blog yet you furiously write a postcard and then mail it to the dude's zine.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

GameStop near me started selling a couple games at 9pm so I got my copy already :getin:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's time.

I'm ready.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Der Shovel posted:

In 2017.

Fans should be relieved then since this is exactly like Resident Evil 4.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So I booted up the game and after some cutscenes and tutorial fights a strange man in a bowler hat taught me how to inject cash into my body to gain martial powers.

This is a good video game, I think.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

projecthalaxy posted:

So I booted up the game and after some cutscenes and tutorial fights a strange man in a bowler hat taught me how to inject cash into my body to gain martial powers.

This is a good video game, I think.
It's not dubbed right? He still calls Kiryu "boy" in that bizarre voice, right?

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's not dubbed right? He still calls Kiryu "boy" in that bizarre voice, right?

Nah, not dubbed. Enjoy.

What am I supposed to do with all these UFO catcher prizes besides make my inventory super cute?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I like the new motion-comicish cutscene you get occasionally with the ultra high res models sliding around.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Brick Shipment posted:

What am I supposed to do with all these UFO catcher prizes besides make my inventory super cute?

If it's like the previous games, some are needed in sidequests and others can be gifted to hostesses.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

projecthalaxy posted:

I like the new motion-comicish cutscene you get occasionally with the ultra high res models sliding around.
Weird thing about this game: those just stop not very far into the game and give way to the normal kind of cutscenes.