Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Just chug a potion to make enemies ignore you, there isnt any penalty to just letting the timer run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of gang invasions. In YK2, the Omi invasion... When they showed two hundred cars on the motorway headed to Kamurocho I got hyped up. Then it turned out to be six dudes in a bar. Ya'll shoulda carpooled!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

And Tyler Too! posted:

Okay the Keihin gang invasions got old quick. I wish I could put a bullet in these assholes and be done with them forever.

hey! guns are illegal, you know!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

monsterzero posted:

Speaking of gang invasions. In YK2, the Omi invasion... When they showed two hundred cars on the motorway headed to Kamurocho I got hyped up. Then it turned out to be six dudes in a bar. Ya'll shoulda carpooled!

the other 199 cars were destroyed by Majima

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Finally finished Judgment, game loving ruled. The cutscenes during the last chapter and battle were soooo good. I think that might be my favorite end run fight/cutscenes they've ever done. Not just the fighting and battle cutscenes and the location but the slow parts too with the brief flashbacks? Game fuckin' rules.

I really like that they still managed to end this on a bittersweet note with the system being irrevocably broken and instead of there being hope of rooting out "just a few bad apples" there's an entire rotten horde with like two or three sort of good people in it. I did have one complaint with that though, it felt weird that Yagami is so perceptive and they have him do all of this extra-legal and on the sly stuff to figure out different angles to meet out justice from but then at the critical moment Hamura just magically does the right thing out of nowhere. It felt like they had written themselves into a corner with that like they had put all the players into place but then forgot to have an organic way to link that particular witness to that particular situation with evidence Yagami could find himself. At the same time that was a rad twist and of course it was cathartic to see certain folks go down.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the most straight up what the gently caress moment in this series is everything about Osaka Castle

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

the most straight up what the gently caress moment in this series is everything about Osaka Castle

I want to say that's when Yakuza jumped the shark but Kiryu would punch those too.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sega you cowards

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Kiwami 2 is such a good fukkin game. Goddamn.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Mordiceius posted:

Kiwami 2 is such a good fukkin game. Goddamn.

Agreed. On Ch. 9 now and I love it so far.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Neo Rasa posted:

Finally finished Judgment, game loving ruled. The cutscenes during the last chapter and battle were soooo good. I think that might be my favorite end run fight/cutscenes they've ever done. Not just the fighting and battle cutscenes and the location but the slow parts too with the brief flashbacks? Game fuckin' rules.

I really like that they still managed to end this on a bittersweet note with the system being irrevocably broken and instead of there being hope of rooting out "just a few bad apples" there's an entire rotten horde with like two or three sort of good people in it. I did have one complaint with that though, it felt weird that Yagami is so perceptive and they have him do all of this extra-legal and on the sly stuff to figure out different angles to meet out justice from but then at the critical moment Hamura just magically does the right thing out of nowhere. It felt like they had written themselves into a corner with that like they had put all the players into place but then forgot to have an organic way to link that particular witness to that particular situation with evidence Yagami could find himself. At the same time that was a rad twist and of course it was cathartic to see certain folks go down.

hamura didn't seem magically to me, it was more he realized the boss's dream when he died protecting him that made it change heart, given that he was trying to follow his dream but went too ruthless with it, i enjoyed the redemption. i keep meaning to check out that scene in the unedited japanese version, see how the old actor did it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vikar Jerome posted:

hamura didn't seem magically to me, it was more he realized the boss's dream when he died protecting him that made it change heart, given that he was trying to follow his dream but went too ruthless with it, i enjoyed the redemption. i keep meaning to check out that scene in the unedited japanese version, see how the old actor did it.

Oh yeah all of those scenes are straight up great and I like the character, just it felt like a jump compared to how ruthless that particular person gets in general.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm replaying Kiwami 2 and actually taking my time on the Cabaret and trying to work up the enthusiasm to do more Clan Creator- I don't think I can do it. I've done like five or eight now and I'm only at 2 stars, this thing looks monstrously long.

I might've been a moron back in 0 too, is there a way to give your cabaret girls a break besides playing a round with different ones or still no?

Also, why the hell do you actually have stamina in long battles? I'm trying to attend a funeral here and I'm huffing and puffing like Link fresh out of his coffin in BotW.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
Playing a round with different girls is still the only way to give them a break.

A super easy way to do it is just have one match where you have only one girl on the roster, not serve anyone, and just let the clock run out. There's no penalty for a lovely match. In fact, you'll get about 90% of the fans as you would if you played well. Just pick one of the bronze hostesses, start the match, and walk away for a couple minutes.

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 23, 2019

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm replaying Kiwami 2 and actually taking my time on the Cabaret and trying to work up the enthusiasm to do more Clan Creator- I don't think I can do it. I've done like five or eight now and I'm only at 2 stars, this thing looks monstrously long.

I might've been a moron back in 0 too, is there a way to give your cabaret girls a break besides playing a round with different ones or still no?

Also, why the hell do you actually have stamina in long battles? I'm trying to attend a funeral here and I'm huffing and puffing like Link fresh out of his coffin in BotW.

I got all the DLC so clan creator is a fuckin breeze. There's only like 20 missions total. It feels like it moves so loving fast. Certainly faster than Cabaret club (though Cabaret club is my favorite mini game in any game ever).

For Cabaret club, I do two session before alternating. I try to split my hostesses into two equal groups and do two session each before alternating. So it might be 2 platinum, 3 gold, 4 silver, then 3 plat, 2 gold, 3 silver, or something like that. Generally equal splitting. One session will take them from big pink smiley to slightly reduced smiley. Then after the second session, I switch off and go with the other group. I mean, you could switch every session, but that is exhausting. One rank down from pink smiley is barely any stat penalty.

I would still loving kill for a Cabaret Club Grand Prix iOS game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

gently caress the rear end in a top hat who added -dice spaces to dice & cube.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Okay. The intro to Osaka castle was stupid.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I maintain that most of that section was a fever hallucination from getting stabbed about 20 minutes prior.

Although, some of the NPCs on the street mention it ahead of time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I would have been fine with the tigers, ninjas, and samurai. It's the loving splitting castle that is dumb as hell.

That being said - I would loving kill for like a Netflix/Amazon/HBO series of Yakuza with fight choreography done by the John Wick guys.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I would have been fine with the tigers, ninjas, and samurai. It's the loving splitting castle that is dumb as hell.

That being said - I would loving kill for like a Netflix/Amazon/HBO series of Yakuza with fight choreography done by the John Wick guys.

Imagine the Shangri-la fight as a continuous sequence, following Kiryu as he moves from room to room dropping fools left and right until it smash-cuts to Majima driving the truck through the front door.

Also, unlike a lot of those examples, Kiryu just being a glacier of a man. No super-athletic flips or showy dodges. Just one dude bulldozing through a horde of yakuza punks.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yep. I think a pretty good picture of Kiryu in a movie is Agent Smith from the first Matrix. Lots of blocks, counters, and straight power punches.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's actually Rocky, including a scene at the end where he yells NISHKIIII and they get married

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'd be up for Kiryu and Nishiki working out their differences with a beach running montage, complete with crop tops

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

Imagine the Shangri-la fight as a continuous sequence, following Kiryu as he moves from room to room dropping fools left and right until it smash-cuts to Majima driving the truck through the front door.

Also, unlike a lot of those examples, Kiryu just being a glacier of a man. No super-athletic flips or showy dodges. Just one dude bulldozing through a horde of yakuza punks.

Right up until someone comes at him from behind with a bat and he busts out a hitherto unseen roundhouse kick.

isk posted:

Yep. I think a pretty good picture of Kiryu in a movie is Agent Smith from the first Matrix. Lots of blocks, counters, and straight power punches.

I imagine Netflix Punisher but even more durable somehow.

Well, a few more flips than that, if they use the Kiwami 1 and 0 Dragon Style as reference.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Right up until someone comes at him from behind with a bat and he busts out a hitherto unseen roundhouse kick.

During the last sequence when he is chasing down Jingu, having a JSDF Special Forces Soldier run up only to get Tiger Dropped into two others, sending them sprawling as he just keeps walking.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

A Yakuza 1 movie that does not liberally abuse Tiger Drop is a waste of everyone’s time

There also needs to be a scene where Kirby walks into a drug store and walks out with bags full of staminan

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why the gently caress is Jingu so loving buff? He's just some govt nerd!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Man going from 0 to kiwami makes majima seem weird

Also kiryus side burns....

Also these fmvs aren't that good

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
There was a Yakuza movie, and it focused almost entirely on stuff not connected to the main plot, as is fitting for Yakuza.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

Man going from 0 to kiwami makes majima seem weird

Also kiryus side burns....

Also these fmvs aren't that good

They're the exact same animations and camera angles as the PS2 ones so they're very much a product of that era.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Doing New Game+ in Kiwami is hilarious.

Majima: Kiryu, you have gotten weak in jai-
Kiryu Tiger-Drops Majima flying sixty feet into the Millennium Tower which instantly collapses on top of him.
Kiryu: drat he's right, I have become pathetically weak! :cripes:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm shocked they didn't put in new dialogue for that and the first mr.shakedown fight for the new game plus

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I think I'd rather have an animated movie or series than live action. No one can possibly do Kiryu justice.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I'm shocked they didn't put in new dialogue for that and the first mr.shakedown fight for the new game plus

There is slightly different dialogue in case you win Majima or get Shakedown to 50٪.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how much of majimas screen time in kiwami wasn't in the original yakuza??

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

98%

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Stairmaster posted:

how much of majimas screen time in kiwami wasn't in the original yakuza??

From watching the Kiwami lp, I'm pretty sure the only parts that were in the original were when when Majima shows up in cutscenes and the subsequent boss fights. Which is why he flips back and forth between being your best friend and an absolutely bloodthirsty mook.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

As a new Yakuza player, it feels like Majima being "a thing" is only a recent development with these remakes. I don't know what anyone who played the original games even had to latch on to wrt Majima.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

And Tyler Too! posted:

gently caress the rear end in a top hat who added -dice spaces to dice & cube.

they are only on the short routes, if you take the long route you wont get any but will raking in the cash (on medium at least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

this is not an exaggeration, people who have not played the ps2 version.