Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

I want more dance battles so I can flex on all those teenage girls.

It's also a crime that other characters aren't able to do the dancing games even in premium adventure mode. :mad: That Akiyama dancing substory was just a big old tease.

Namnesor posted:

I want Haruka to inherit her adoptive father's legacy and dispense parental justice across Kamurocho

https://youtu.be/Xgvvmytm2Vs

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is well known that moms are tough.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Peragus posted:

It's also a crime that other characters aren't able to do the dancing games even in premium adventure mode. :mad: That Akiyama dancing substory was just a big old tease.

The worst part is how 5 and 0 are on the same engine so we could have had Majima dance battles instead of those lovely breaker battles

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

Kojiro posted:

The worst part is how 5 and 0 are on the same engine so we could have had Majima dance battles instead of those lovely breaker battles

Cool. Another thing to be sad about.

At least 0 had the disco minigame.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I want to see Haruka hit at least one person over the head with a bike.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Peragus posted:

Cool. Another thing to be sad about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-GIzWLhNXY

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

are some of the Y4 substories known to be glitchy? I got to the finale and realized I’ve done enough of them that I might as well try completing them all, but I can’t get some of them to activate even after looking up guides and such

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

QUEER FRASIER posted:

are some of the Y4 substories known to be glitchy? I got to the finale and realized I’ve done enough of them that I might as well try completing them all, but I can’t get some of them to activate even after looking up guides and such

Which ones? I know I’ve had trouble getting some of Saejima’s to show up even after going to some of them on the map, but I did all of them besides the hostess ones. Iirc the substory markers before initiating a substory being on the map is a remaster thing so that might not always be 100% accurate either.

oh, and if you’re in the finale and trying to do Akiyama’s I think like half of them require Hana, which requires you going into bizzaro world from Sky Finance to bring her back

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
There might have been some crazy logical leaps that happen in Yakuza 4, but I'm right at the end of Part 3 in Yakuza 5 and I still have very little clue what is going on at all. So far, they haven't done much to make anything connect.

Also the Osaka detective guy keeps reminding me of Nick Fury. Because it sure as gently caress seems like he's trying to recruit a special team of remarkable people.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

There might have been some crazy logical leaps that happen in Yakuza 4, but I'm right at the end of Part 3 in Yakuza 5 and I still have very little clue what is going on at all. So far, they haven't done much to make anything connect.

Also the Osaka detective guy keeps reminding me of Nick Fury. Because it sure as gently caress seems like he's trying to recruit a special team of remarkable people.

Yeah, Yakuza 5 be like that. It’s probably overall a stronger game for it since it gives Kiryu/Haruka/Shinada’s individual story arcs time to breathe but the end is pretty eh as a result.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Which ones? I know I’ve had trouble getting some of Saejima’s to show up even after going to some of them on the map, but I did all of them besides the hostess ones. Iirc the substory markers before initiating a substory being on the map is a remaster thing so that might not always be 100% accurate either.

oh, and if you’re in the finale and trying to do Akiyama’s I think like half of them require Hana, which requires you going into bizzaro world from Sky Finance to bring her back

gotcha thanks, your spoilered text definitely addresses it, the one I was struggling with was Beware of Imposters as Akiyama

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, Yakuza 5 be like that. It’s probably overall a stronger game for it since it gives Kiryu/Haruka/Shinada’s individual story arcs time to breathe but the end is pretty eh as a result.

I actually feel like it, so far, for me, is weaker than Y4, if only slightly.

Since everyone is segmented off in their own towns, we get zero interplay between protagonists, some of the towns just ducking terrible to navigate, a lot of the side content ends up being basically copy/paste busywork with zero depth (chef guy, tourism guy).

I feel like Y5 is a loving impressively expansive game, to its detriment. Mild wide, inch deep sort of thing.

I’ve only just started Shinada’s part so my opinion could still change but if I were to add it to my ranking based off my experiences so far, it would line up like this:
Y0/YK2 >> Y4 > Y5 >> YK1 >>>>>>>>> Y3.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Serious question: do you feel the need to rank all the media you interact with? Not a gotcha or anything but I found that these days we're pretty much conditioned by the Internet to make rankings out of every loving thing and it's a serious detriment to just enjoying things at your own pace.

That said 3, 4, 5 have pretty bad, disjointed stories that clearly were changed a lot during the development. What I do love about all of Yakuza games is watching how Kamurocho changes. Like going somewhere in Judgment and remembering there used to be a bar there or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I only rank stuff if other people start it and I disagree

Speaking of

Y0>K2>Y6>Y5>K1=Y3>>>>>>>Y4

Judgment probably equal to Y0

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think it comes more naturally to rank installments within a series against each other, but it's a good question and raises a very valid point.

e: not least because it brings up the question of what constitutes "a series." I'd be comfortable making a ranking to figure out what I think the best Yakuza is, but not what the best GTA or the best Final Fantasy is, at best I'd tell you the best PS2-era GTA or the best SNES Final Fantasy.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 6, 2020

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I really liked 5's ending :shobon: It's actually my favourite Yakuza game, mostly because i was sold on the characters so much at that point. For me it's 5 > 0 > K2 > 4 > 6 > 3 > k1 but honestly the top three are very neck and neck, and if 3's jank was fixed I'd happily put it above 6.

It's pretty cool how everyone's got different rankings, shows there's value in the whole series. Can't say as I have a problem with ranking them either unless you're getting in some shitfit over someone else's opinions, but when would that ever happen on the internet?!?!

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 6, 2020

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
For all the poo poo Y3 gets, I'm just starting chapter 6 on my playthrough and I am enjoying it a lot. The jankiness coming from Kiwami 2 is pretty jarring at first, but I've gotten used to it pretty quickly. If this is the worst Yakuza game, we are all pretty spoiled, as it's still a drat good game.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Outlaw Mailman posted:

For all the poo poo Y3 gets, I'm just starting chapter 6 on my playthrough and I am enjoying it a lot. The jankiness coming from Kiwami 2 is pretty jarring at first, but I've gotten used to it pretty quickly. If this is the worst Yakuza game, we are all pretty spoiled, as it's still a drat good game.

I'm on chapter 5 of Y3 and I agree completely. Having just played 0, K1 and K2 it does take getting used to, and I did drop the difficulty down to easy because I've heard that the combat is tedious due to constant blocking, but I really enjoyed the prologue in Okinawa and what little I've done in Kamurocho so far.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Aren't Kiryu and Majima special summons in Yakuza 7? Do they have spoken lines that might be dubbed in the western release? Is there a chance they might bring Mark Hamil back?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

Does a fire extinguisher count?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

And Tyler Too! posted:

https://youtu.be/RV9RrdIUpTI

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Outlaw Mailman posted:

I mean, it’s a bad Yakuza game (at least insofar as the series has come a long way and retroactively purged itself of most of its jank with the Kiwamis) but it’s not the worst thing ever. I’m probably as harsh as I am on it because it just needed a little more effort put into everything to make it on par with 4, maybe even 0/K2. Like, if the story were just brave enough to ditch Kamorocho and scale it’s story back in scope, enemies were easier to avoid, and they didn’t block all day every day it would be pretty drat good.

As is, it has enough enjoyable aspects that I won’t just plain question how anyone found enjoyment in it overall (unlike, you know, those madmen that somehow enjoyed their time with 3’s cabaret club, which turned out to be one of those “we took it out because it was real fuckin bad things”) but it really could have used a Kiwami

A good poster posted:

Aren't Kiryu and Majima special summons in Yakuza 7? Do they have spoken lines that might be dubbed in the western release? Is there a chance they might bring Mark Hamil back?

iirc Hamill’s retired from voice acting aside from uncredited cameos in Star Wars cartoons. I mean I have absolutely no doubt they tried to get him back if they’re casting guys like George Takei, but personally my hopes aren’t super high.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

As much as I like Mark Hamil's voice acting, he really did not do a good job of voicing Majima.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

IShallRiseAgain posted:

As much as I like Mark Hamil's voice acting, he really did not do a good job of voicing Majima.

Disagree! But part of that is due to Majima being a very different character in 1 than he was in any of the other games.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Chapter 10 boss in Kiwami might be the worst boss i've fought in a game in a loooong time

also does Dragon Style ever get good? I've got Majima Everywhere up to like rank A, i think, and the style just doesn't do anything for me

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Doesn't Mark Hamill still show up in cheap CW shows (not a diss I love that about him)? It's not impossible .

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Kinda hating the idea of Majima played by anyone but Hidenari Ugaki, because the dude is just so perfect already.

That said, the guy who played him in the movie didn't quite look the part but drat he had the exact right energy and willingness to bounce baseballs off Kiryu's rock hard abs for two entire minutes that the role required

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Just beat 4, loved the finale. Kind of dumb plot wise RUBBER BULLETS but how can you not get hyped when all 4 dudes hop out of the helicopter in Reservoir Dogs suits and Akiyama says "Alright, everyone pick an rear end to kick" as you all go into your separate showdowns. This game can definitely hang with Zero and Kiwami 2. Side note, I was having a bit of trouble with Akiyama's Suicidal Running training and questioning whether it was worth it to get the Sacred Tree set for Tanimura and all I can say is yes, yes it was.

I was gonna take a break but I had such a good time with this game that I'm going right into 5 and I'm really going to take my time with it. The goal is to have 5 and 6 finished by the time Like a Dragon comes out. From what it sounds like, 5 is going to take me a month on its own...

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

Now that I've finished 5, I can finally participate in yakuza rankings. I was going to do a breakdown on my feelings for each one, but that got to be long so here is a list.

0 > 1 > 3 > 6 > 2 > 5 > 4

The games between 0 and 5 are very close and I have to rearrange them all the time.

I don't think any of the yakuza games are bad. Even the ones lower on my list have sections I liked a lot. My feelings on them just range from 'really loving good' to 'eh'.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

mycot posted:

Doesn't Mark Hamill still show up in cheap CW shows (not a diss I love that about him)? It's not impossible .

I know for sure he was in CW's The Flash, but that was probably because he was playing an older version of a character (The Trickster) that he played back on the 90's Flash and I get the sense he's a sucker for stuff like that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Peragus posted:

0 > 1 > 3 > 6 > 2 > 5 > 4

This ranking is absolutely fascinating to me. Thank you for this.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
0 > k2 > 6 > 4 > 5 > k1 > 3

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah I think I'm identical to this with the caveat I just do tiers of 0/2/6 , 4/5, 1/3/judgment

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yeah 4 and 5 are on even ground imo, but i'd put judgment there with them.

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

This ranking is absolutely fascinating to me. Thank you for this.

Glad to be of help.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
6 is probably my favorite Yakuza, between the new engine and how pared down it was. Also no enemies with a shitmillion health bars.

Yes, there’s not as much content as 0 but what content is there kicks so much rear end.

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

6 is probably my favorite Yakuza, between the new engine and how pared down it was. Also no enemies with a shitmillion health bars.

Yes, there’s not as much content as 0 but what content is there kicks so much rear end.

I played 6 right after finishing 4 so a more compact game was very welcome.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mister No posted:

Chapter 10 boss in Kiwami might be the worst boss i've fought in a game in a loooong time

also does Dragon Style ever get good? I've got Majima Everywhere up to like rank A, i think, and the style just doesn't do anything for me

Dragon Style sucks for like 90% of the game until you unlock the last few crucial nodes, at which point it becomes a warcrime.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I haven’t played 6 yet, but this list minus 6 is pretty close to how I feel about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Stop rating fav to least liked, from now on we rate on quality of the sidekick character

In this regard Rikiya takes the lead for 3 right out the gate