Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

You can throw money into the air and they'll go chase after it.
Both a good feature and username/post.

Unlucky7 posted:

Just got to Majima's starting chapter (Thank you, street date breaking store!), and as far as I can tell starting sub stories are not marked. They do have markings once you started it, though.
That sounds like a bizarre step backwards to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I liked rush style in the tutorial, it seems ideal for dealing with bosses when they go into heat mode and can't be stunlocked, which is always the hardest and most annoying part of these games.

I just really really wish the lockon was a toggle instead of a hold button thing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Since people are talking about it, I noticed this interview with the guy at Atlus who lead the Yakuza 0 localization: http://michibiku.com/interview-localizing-yakuza-scott-strichart/

EDIT: The base translation was done by the same guys as the previous games apparently, then the Atlus guys did a second localization pass on it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I stopped when I got to Majima last night so can't comment on him yet. But for Kiryu, I'm diggin' Rush more than I thought. I absolutely creamed Kuze and Oda with it. Feels like Hajime no Ippo's DEMPSEY ROLL.
I really wanted to use Rush on the first boss but it felt like my fists were pillows. Then I tried brawl and easily defeated him by button mashing and never blocking or dodging thanks to more hitstun and free counters every time I got hit.

I want to like rush but it feels really bad.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there some trick to dizzying people with it since it seems to happen so rarely at the moment, they're usually dead before it happens.
It seems to take about 1.5 full square combos but if you knock them down it resets.

I've discovered Rush is actually good for earning cash early in the game since the stunned heat move can get you the double KO bonus if you whittle down all the guys' health beforehand.

ImpAtom posted:

I wish I could remember where I got it because the Trouble Finder is top tier equipment.

(It shows you where sidequests are on the map.)
oh god someone please tell me how to get this. I'm going to go insane without it.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 27, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I have to say the CP and money systems are a clever way to encourage players to explore all the side stuff and I'm going to end up doing a lot more of it in this one than any of the others.

Probably still not going to learn Shogi or Mahjong though. :effort:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Please tell me how to cheese Mr Shakedowns they are loving BULLSHIT and I've never even come close to winning. I don't have the patience to run around tapping them gently for several minutes.

They seem to be immune to grabs and all heat moves? I tried using a katana as Kiryu and no heat prompt popped up. Does Kiryu just not have a katana heat move in this game?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Am I crazy or is there something kinda off about the timing on the disco minigame?
It took me a while to get too. I found I had to aim to hit the buttons when the shrinking square was just a tiny bit smaller than the grid.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

I'm glad they made baseball even more obnoxious this game compared to previous, that was a good change worth doing.
The minute I noticed there's no CP for batting, just mediocre items, I was out the door.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Go to the big empty lot in the north east part of Kamurocho. You might need to do a little more of the main story first if there's no trainer icon there yet.

Actually I don't think it's possible to miss any of the styles or trainers. You get railroaded into them while doing the main story.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 7, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Miss Tatsu is worth the drive alone.
Once I met her I immediately agreed with whoever said a few pages ago she should have been Kiryu's one true love.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Is the third disco sidequest the last? You guys had me all scared and then I beat Kiryu's on my first try. It was close though.

The key seemed to be just not missing. The AI gets good at doing lots of movement but drops combos pretty frequently, even on easy song difficulty. In the final stats it had like 3x my total moves but a max combo of less than 10 while mine was ~30.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I have no idea if any others even exist but you can get the best one from the pawn shop for 30m.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Can anybody explain how to use the "body counter" move in the brawler tree? It says block and then hit triangle when attacked but the timing seems impossible compared to any other counter move in the series, including tiger drop. I once got it to work three times in a row exactly as I expected it to but before and after that I tried a dozen times with every possible timing and it never worked once. I'm starting to think it's actually bugged.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I really hated Outrun because it took me a lot of tries to learn to hit the breaks any time anything scary happened, like trying to pass a truck on a turn. Just stay behind it until the road straightens out again and you can speed up and pass safely. Slowing down is way better than flying off the road or hitting something and spinning out.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I got a little annoyed the toughest pocket races seem to have a significant random element with how the physics and stabilization work, but it sure beats the extremely transparent grind of real estate battle.

EDIT: I just got warned that to progress further against the gambling king I need to unlock something, which won't happen until later in the main story. If I keep pushing the gambling % higher will I be locked out of collecting money completely when I hit 60% and can't meet him or will it let me max the % and then immediately give me the challenge and then final fight events when possible?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 12, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The telephone girls always answer certain questions (like their job) the same way, right? I can just distinguish them by that instead of their voice? I noticed they definitely share some lines, but I'm hoping at least that is unique.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

And without getting into spoilers as I imagine by the end I'd know for certain but is the most Majima has ever been subdue? I haven't played the other games but every time I see a video of him he's batshit over-the-top nuts. While that's entertaining, he seems pretty one-note unless the more subdued stuff people aren't interested in showing off from the other games.
He has a few normalish moments with Saejima in the later games, since they're best friends.

Overall it is pretty weird seeing normal guy Majima going around helping people with their problems after several games of cackling knife goblin Majima though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Kiryu seems to have a new kind of counter where if you block at the exact moment an enemy attacks and press Triangle you do this jumping knee attack that does a ridiculous amount of damage

Managed to take down the final boss' last health bar just by accidentally mashing that one out
Is that the same one you buy in Brawler? I spent ages trying to get it to work by holding block and pressing triangle at various times during the block animation, the way the block counter works in every other Yakuza game. You're saying it only works if you hit L1 at exactly the right time?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If it's possible to unlock catfighting in chapter 5 it's very well-hidden. I had the sidestory finder and it didn't show up, and the khhsubs guide says you can only find that sidestory in 6.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

precision posted:

How do you befriend the stop and frisk guy? I gave him a gun the first time and it raised the meter, but I've given him 3 different things and it's not going up any more.
I think after the first time only non-dangerous things raise the meter for some reason.

You'd think he'd be excited to learn about the honest and law-abiding uses of nunchucks and shotguns.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

precision posted:

I still cannot loving win the first Pro-Am race, it's only like the 4th or 5th race total? Either my car is too slow and literally gets stuck in the track because of the Stabilizers, or my car is too fast and runs off the track even if I don't boost. It's driving me sideways.
All the races except the final ones should be fairly easy with the motor from the secret password shop guy. It gives enough extra acceleration and speed that it mostly becomes a matter of picking the fastest frame that won't cause you to fly off the track.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Do enemies get new moves around Chapter 4/5? Enemies now seem like they have fast swirly hands and hit me a lot more often.
Random street guys definitely level up as you progress through the story, and they have a fair variety of fighting styles too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Unlike 5 I don't think it's possible to fail side stories in 0. Either you just get different dialog or have to repeat the choice until you pick the correct one.

Side stories from earlier chapters generally persist into later ones. Worst case scenario once you finish the main story you can load your completed save into an adventure mode where all the side content is available, and do them there.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I unlocked Majima's fourth style and I don't understand the purpose of the circle move. It seems to drain all 3 heat bars to do almost no damage?

The fights at the end of the business side stories really illustrate how bad the combat is in Yakuza games. I wish they'd go back and fix it some day. There's no excuse to be this lazy when there's years of Platinum games to look at.

Also I'm super annoyed the removed or nerfed all the counter skills until they're practically useless.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 27, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

verbal enema posted:

another thing what is with pocket tissues?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tissue-pack_marketing

Immersion!

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 30, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I did the zap gun cheese because gently caress you I just want the actual good moves that are all hidden away in the final tier.

I've decided I liked 4's advancement system the best, because you could buy anything at any time and got enough XP/orbs for almost everything just from the main and side stories.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That reminds me, Majima's interjections for the karaoke songs is the best voice acting ever recorded, for anything.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's totally random. You might have to try dozens of times to finish all the side stories since there are 9 possibilities. And if you can't differentiate between the voices to retry quicker it's going to take you forever.

My resolve to complete all side quests broke after getting the same woman literally six times in a row. It's awful.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 1, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Weapons are about the same as in the previous games. But like previous games they're good for cheesing really frustrating fights. In particular, you might want to get the "zap gun" shotgun if you find it tough to beat Mr Shakedown fairly.

EDIT: Once you find/craft a weapon once you can buy infinite copies, so ammo/durability isn't much of a problem.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 2, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Shakedowns gain a health bar every time you beat them, but the reward for beating them ramps up exponentially (especially for Kiryu, since he has a CP perk that increases the payout based on how much cash you lost to him.) Don't beat him too much until you have billions of yen from the business side quests.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I finished the game and was like "huh, some of this stuff really felt like a call forward to Yakuza 1," so I read the wiki and learned everything was a call forward to Yakuza 1, and I was really missing out because I'd forgotten almost everything about the game since watching an LP of it years ago.

I kind of wish Kiwami had come out first.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 7, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
When you notice a boss is blatantly auto-dodging your attacks in the basic style, you either have to play defensively (lock-on and dodge when they attack to get behind them) or try the other fighting styles to see if they have a harder time countering those. The bat and beast styles can pretty much button mash anyone down once you've upgraded them enough.

Yeah the Yakuza fighting system is super bad and outdated when it comes to bosses but that's how you work with it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That's normal. I think it might be the best minigame in the series since there's actual time pressure and non-obvious strategy to it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
there's an app that lets you know where to go to beat up thugs named "troublr"?

that's the most Yakuza thing conceivable

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Feel free to just use up all your weapons and consumables against that boss if you need to.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I saw a trailer for Kiwami, does it just reuse most of 0's mechanics and assets?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I can't wait to date some cats.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Beating hundreds, perhaps thousands, of men half to death has a strong revitalizing effect on the human body.

If he wasn't constantly pounding unhealthy energy drinks at the same time he'd be immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I wonder what % of responses obviously just clicked through the rest of the survey to ask for Fist of Yakuza. :lol: