Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Ignis posted:

Question, I just beat Judgment and I can't really recall any moment where cat food was ever used for. Is there any point to it being sold everywhere? I see there's the cat café but you can't interact with them. I wanna pet some eCats :(

I think some of the extract recipes need cat food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Man the chase sequences in Yakuza 3 are just awful, especially coming from Judgement before this.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

I'm nearing the end of Y4 and Ive seen a lot of people posting that you want to get the special item from completing all the trainings for one of the characters. How essential is this compared with getting the best defensive stuff you can buy in the store? I skipped a lot of the trainings when they first showed up since they seem pretty tedious but if the boss in question is super bullshit then I guess I can slog through it to save frustration later.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Ugh I guess it's time to give suicidal running another attempt. Thanks

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Playing 5 and having Saejima sing karaoke on a date is one of the highlights of the series for me so far. I was not prepared for that level of enthusiasm.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Does anyone have a clip or screenshot of the screen in the darts minigame saying "NICE ONE"?

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

I finished 6 last night completing my run from 0 through 6. What a ride. I really enjoyed 6 but my main gripes are that:
1) Theres no Karaoke with your Hirose Family friends
2) Theres a baseball team building minigame and you cant get your pro baseball friend to help you out
3) The end game has you climbing the millennium tower but you dont actually fight on the roof of it

As for the ending I get why they did it the way they did but comeon Kiryu if youre gonna go back to the orphanage at least dont wear the same outfit you always do when sneaking a peek

Its kinda weird finishing 6 and not having any more to play through waiting for me. I got 0 in the summer of 2018 so its basically been perfect timing with the release of the remastered games for me to have a continuous feed of these wonderful games to play for the past two years.

Hard to pick a favorite game but I think 4 was probably my least favorite of the bunch. Not terrible but it had the most moments that would make me groan on a second playthrough.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

I consider 4 my least favorite because it has by far the most stuff I don't want to ever deal with again in it. 3 is really clunky but the characters were great. I really wish it got the kiwami treatment because I feel like it could really be polished up.

Also I'm trying to avoid spoilers for 7 but can someone tell me if one of the people on the cover is a guy who gets shot in the head in 6?

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

HebrewMagic posted:

From what I had spoiled I think he's an ex-Korean mafia grunt who got facial surgery to look like him for some reason. I think it was something like a failed body double scheme or maybe just really thinking he was cool.

Ahhhh figures I did really like the fights with him in 6 and the over the top music that went with it

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

I've been putting the osts on in the background while cooking lately and this series has a lot of good ones but I think Judgement has some of the best. the hamura boss fight is one of the best over the top boss themes I've heard

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

At first I thought and the Kiwami 2 hostess conversations were too boring and then

Also really like the weird 80s glasses you can wear in premium adventure, really plays up the weird pervert aspect of going to a seedy video store to watch movies in a small booth while your adopted daughter patiently waits outside

Those glasses are from a karaoke song in 6 I almost missed but is so absurd it really needs to be seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klfOoPEISyQ

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Judgement has the best final boss of the whole series

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

After you beat him it just restarts the level unfortunately

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Streets of Kamurocho was fun. Little disappointed that all 3 character are just axel but for a free game I cant complain

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

I unlocked the management game and im glad I saved before I started messing around because all the free characters it lets you hire really messed me up. I did really laugh when it told me Majima got a better offer from another company and was gonna leave if I didnt give him a raise.

Also this game is crazy if they think Im gonna trust Daigo to run a laundromat

Edit: also is it just really hard to get weapons for some jobs? I was gonna use Chef and the Shield Cop but theres no weapons available at any shop and the crafter needs 1.5x all the money I have to upgrade

Grundma fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 13, 2020

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Its definitely him and I love it

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Man you guys were not kidding about the difficulty spike with the boss in chapter 12. What level were you guys at for this? I definitely have to do some grinding. I thought I was doing pretty good, got Majima 1/2 way dead, got through the clones and then Saejima comes in and I just cant heal fast enough. The music really kicks rear end though

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

I've run into an annoying thing when fighting in wide open areas. Kasuga & friends will keep running back to where the fight was initiated after their turn, but the bad guy will remain wherever they are after being ragdolled and it reaches a point where my party will run allllllllllllll the way across a parking lot to attack, then run alllllll the way back when their turn ends. Repeat forever until the fight is over.

Ive been running into this a lot in the later chapters. Its also annoying when you're counting on hitting an enemy when theyre on the ground then the game decides they are too far away and teleports em back standing up.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

tensai posted:

I just started chapter 12. Taking advice from this thread and have a musician leveling up. But I'm starting the chapter at like level 35. Am I boned at that level? Should I just start the grind now?

The game seems to expect you to be about there and then to run through the arena once before hitting the boss. It should get you to a good level. It also will get you a bunch of rare materials for upgrades.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

I finished the game today, overall I really enjoyed it. The turn-based combat was fine but I would rather it go away for future games. Its functional but not very exciting. Some of the later fights were basically just waiting for the enemy health bar to get whittled away while they posed no threat to my team. Tendo in particular was an incredibly boring fight where my auto heal from the musician covered almost everything he could do to me but it still took forever to knock down that health bar. It felt like they planned for another dungeon or 2's worth of leveling then cut it and just added the arena and expected you to level there. Going to Sotenbori was pointless since the town was almost entirely recycled and had 0 substories.

Regarding the fanservice stuff I thought it was really lame the way they brought Kiryu back into the story and really undercut the ending of 6. If they were gonna bring him back it should have been a major plot point with you having to search for him and convince him to join you. It would have been OK if he was hidden in the background like he was a secret observer but for him to just jump back in felt really forced. When he stops Ichiban from beating the omi guy in the street it really should have been one of the party members doing that. It would have been a good moment to have some character development and have the party bond and help each other. I was kind of hoping that Kiryu would be the new Amon and would be a secret superboss if he was gonna be in the game at all.

I really liked the new city and characters and I think theres a lot they can do with it. Theres certainly a lot of open threads they can pull at for a sequel and Im looking forward to seeing what they do.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Amppelix posted:

but why is the takeaway here "it should go away" instead of "they should make it better"

there's some pretty obvious improvements they could make to the combat that they surely will for a second game in the style

I really liked the brawler style of the previous games and found it a lot more engaging. Picking up a bike and crushing a bunch of dudes is a lot more fun than picking an item from a menu then seeing them pull out whatever item they need. It also made for some really weird parts like the part at Omi HQ where there's a room full of guys standing still staring at each other during the fight but the cutscene is an all out brawl. The boss fights felt less fun to me when it's a slow grind compared to other games where you have to be more active with positioning and dodging attacks.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

One of my favorite things about this game was how it handled the early game stuff when you get to Yokohama. A lot of games where your character is supposed to be broke give out tons of money from random encounters but it really made you feel like you were just scraping by. It was nice to have the game make you actually feel broke and finding a 500 yen coin under a vending machine was genuinely a big deal.

I do think that in a 2nd playthrough I'll probably just find a save editor once I get through the Ichiban Holdings part and give myself a ton of cash. Once you get there I feel like theres no reason not to since you get free money and you need so drat much for upgrades.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

Yakuza 4 takes place in March for some reason

Another reason why it's the worst one

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

To offer a somewhat different opinion, it's been buttery smooth and stable for me on PC. It's been patched a lot.

So your mileage may vary.

Same here and it runs better than kiwami 2 did on my PC. The AA in particular is way better in Like A Dragon

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Im so glad for all the folks who get to play 3-6 now I really enjoyed them. 4 was definitely my least favorite. While it does have one of the best fights Saejima vs Majima it then has the worst boss in the whole series munakata

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Enforcer is the best for adachi but it's a long time between when you can first put him in the class and when you can actually get a useable weapon for him. I had him as host for a while and he makes a hilarious face when you do the rose throw.

Don't be afraid to experiment with changing classes a lot. By the time you get to where you will need a particular role you will be able to get job exp pretty easy so you can't really screw up.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

New Majima everywhere looks great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3js0HV1-VI&t=51s

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

He can get Tiger Drop which is just as good as it always is. To unlock use the drone camera in the little square area in the champion district and take a photo of the qr code on the poster

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

is that meant to be nishki or akiyama on the bottom right lol

I think it's the stardust guy who has the secret Korean doppelganger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

the worst part of 3 is that the cabaret sucks so bad