Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty much every combat style gets hilariously broken later on including the bonus styles for each character.

My favorite is the breakdancing style though. It oooooowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

My main issue with Beast is that it is easy to be surrounded and be completely shut down. If you have a large pickup nearby, then it melts faces. Otherwise, it has no real counter for agressive, fast attacking enemies (slow movement and dodge, block is worse than useless).

Beast gets several options for dealing with that as you level up and can eventually just tank through poo poo and then counter. You even get a Just Defend thing for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sindai posted:

I just really really wish the lockon was a toggle instead of a hold button thing.

I felt that way too but later on you unlock moves that are reliant on slipping in and out of R1 stance so I get why it isn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Freaksaus posted:

These animations whenever Kazuma wins a minigame are incredible. I forgot how much he gets into playing pool and stuff.

Did you do the slot car thing yet?

If not do it ASAP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm really enjoying this game, but I have a couple of questions for anyone who has finished it before.

1) What's a good chapter to start focusing on doing side stuff? I don't want to get too far into the game and find out I missed something.
2) I hear this like loud ding noise from the map once in a while or the controller rumbles. What is that about?
3) Should I sell anything where the description says it's worth a lot and I should just sell it?

I would not stress very much about side stuff until you unlock your businesses. That is the point things really pick up.

2) That just means you've approached minimap range for your next quest objective

3) Sell anything that says it exists to sell AFAIK.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pick-e posted:

Oh hey, finally a game in which we'll play as Kiryu actually in the Yakuza for more than the first chapter!
...I got rused.

I want a refund from the Dream Machine. I dumped a million yen into that and what I got back was a weapon Kiryu can't even use. :ohdear:

That is why it's the Dream Machine~

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Really not feeling the gameplay in this one. Feels like they took 3/4 of the moves out and split the rest among the 3 stances

There is a second character who also has three stances. Also there are four stances for each character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kiryu is great because he has no loving off button for ANYTHING. He takes literally every single thing with the exact same unrelenting sense of seriousness and it becomes fantastic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

man nurse posted:

So are there just not any hostess clubs in this one?

They are in Majima's section of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excuse me I think you'll find that Kiryu and Majima both have never killed a single person.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beast for Kiryu and Dancing for Majima.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ihatepants posted:

This is my first time playing a game in the Yakuza series and I am really liking it.

Just had a question, what does it mean when a purple border outline blinks around the minimap and it beeps at the same time?

That means you have walked within minimap distance of your next plot point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

titanium posted:

I want to like the Rush fighting style but not being able to grab people and do rad finishers unless they've fallen kinda sucks. Can you do them while they're stunned? Beast you at least get the awesome suplex.

Yeah, with Rush your big default non-upgrade Heat attack involves stunning them but NOT knocking them over. If you do this you can triangle in order to knock the one you stunned into two other enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Hot drat this game is good, fun going down every street and seeing what's going on.

Random question, does this Sea Bream fish I caught that says it brings good luck in the description do something?

You can give fish to the guy at Sushi Gen to cook

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish I could remember where I got it because the Trouble Finder is top tier equipment.

(It shows you where sidequests are on the map.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does the US version allow screenshots outside of premium adventure mode or something?

I just have a screen capture device so I don't worry about that bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I take it Rush Mode isn't that great against bosses, since it didn't work very well against the first one for me.

It depends. If you're good at bobbing and weaving it's amazing against bosses but it's probably the most effort to payoff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

So what's the relationship between Majima and Kiryu in the other games? They enemies or somethin?

He's basically his frienemy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Copper For Lyfe posted:

as Kiryu, how do you go about purchasing extra properties? I've got the first one that it gets you to buy, but how do I know whats for sale and what isnt, and then how do i go about buying them?

Honestly, you just look for buildings that kinda stand out, go up to them and mash X. (Or just look for Look prompt while walking past.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think this version of Majima is honestly my favorite. Majima in the other games is like at 11 at all times while here he's more like at 8-9 at all times and sometimes goes to 11, which I think works better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RandallODim posted:

I think they use him well to similar effect in 4 and 5, since he and Saejima as sworn brothers provides a good space for serious pathos as much as wacky Majima, which is how he works best. The whole end of Chapter 2 and beginning of Chapter 3 in 4 is maybe my favorite overall sequence of Majima material for just that reason.

Yeah, that's true. I think 0 is just fresher in my mind (and also Majima's introduction in 0 is perhaps my favorite scene in the series.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

I hope Majima gets a thing like Judgment Kazzy's postcards. I love when the idiotic quests in these games are summarized matter of factly like that.

He gets the exact same sidequest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

I think the sales are pretty good, or they should be considering just about every major YouTube reviewer has basically said "this game is loving incredible".

I thought I was gonna finish Kiryu's first chapter tonight, and then I discovered slot car racing. WHY IS THIS SO FUN

Is there supposed to be an embargo against streaming this? I noticed that everyone who streams it (including when I tried) has the "comments cannot be displayed because you entered a blocked scene" message. I'd hate my streaming career to get shut down right as I start it...

Blocked streaming is just something set up on a system level, it's trivial to get past it and Twitch doesn't kick you off or anything for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

plz dont pull out posted:

Sorry if it's been asked already, but where are the slot car races located? Are they marked on the map?

They're in the upper-left of Kiryu's area, pretty small and hard to notice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gyrobot posted:

People were longing for a game that says "this is what Japanese Game Devs can do when they are not porting games to the Vita which makes up mostly of horrible shovelware. Gio wanted someone that gives people reason to buy a PS4 and Yakuza 0 and 6 and by far definitions on why you should buy one.

The last 6 years had been a case of disappointment for those who like Japanese games but not crazy enough to buy the shovelware crap from Tamsoft or CH.

... Uh, what?

Even if you somehow thought that was true, I'm pretty sure the critically-and-commerically hailed Dark Souls/Bloodborne games would count as the 'proof that Japanese game developers can do well" before Yakuza would.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arbite posted:

I should really know this but who was Louis supposed to be?

I thought it was George Lucas?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like the only person that Kiryu really could have a relationship with is Miss Tatsu and the relationship would involve nothing but punching.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I handed him a loaded handgun and the most negative consequence was that it did not raise my friendship bar.

I gave him a magical katana and it did and he even gave it back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the basic premise of the series falls apart if you admit that yakuza are the scum of the earth. no one wants realism in yakuza games.

To be fair the series goes all-in on the idea that Yakuza are scum of the earth, Kiryu just keeps getting pulled back into the world of crime despite wanting to spend his days helping orphans and singing Judgment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Hahah, wow. I decided to redo the disco battle against the Media King because he just barely beat me and I knew I could beat his 5000-ish score. And I did.

It's just that he proceeded to put up over 6000, which I'm not ever touching. gently caress variability, just gonna grind this share up.

Yeah, I did the Media King 3 times and each time he came out juuuust ahead of my score so I said gently caress it, it wasn't worth it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Kiryu-san, what does going on a date with a woman actually mean?" "It means you help her with a problem and then she gives you an item! That's what Majima-san always told me!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Apparently it isn't. I was just unlucky, I was missing the polite one who speaks in keigo. I nabbed them all now.

I wish the Hostess Clubs are a thing in this, I get why they are not...but still....I liked hearing about their fictional hostess problems.

Majimas Management doesn't really count, imho.

... Why not? I mean you even do Special Training where you hear about their fictional hostess problems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I spent like an hour trying to learn mahjong, then I got a quest where a girl sold her underwear. In between I danced and fought a lot of people. My wife keeps googling things about the yakuza now. Good game

"GOOGLE: do yakuza really disco dance"
"GOOGLE: how many people die per year to yakuza street fighters"
"GOOGLE: chicken real estate management."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely think 0 is my favorite. It hits a lot of the right marks and has a strong cohesive feeling to it that I think only 4 approaches.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Majima didn't kill a single one of those people

Not even the guy he literally throws a knife through the chest of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Was anyone able to max out all four hostess stats via costuming? I tended to get to 3 maxes and one with kinda crap or straight-up X

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I had him reach level 3 a whole bunch and still beat him by nearly double. It sucks that it happens but he's actually really lovely at making money, he just slows your own income down a lot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

It feels so completely luck dependent. These last two attempts he seriously completely halved my money intake from what I had taken in on my first two competitive attempts (so from about 50 million to 25 million).

It was really loving stupid and really frustrating because I knew it was happening but there was just nothing I could do about it. Both of these last two attempts I did had his heat gauge just rocket upward the moment the thing started, only moving at a manageable level once I'd already been thoroughly sabotaged.

Are you spending money to recover your girls? It does take some cash but the amount it recovers undoes a lot of sabotage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Kiryu has some balls. The entire Dojima clan is out for his head and he's at the arcade with the boss's kid.

I am not sure there is literally anything on Earth that can stop KIryu from completing a sidequest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

For Majima's cabaret club game, when can you use the extend visit option and have the customer accept? Is it when the customer wants a long session?

From what I can tell:

The wealthier a customer is the more likely they are to accept an extension. Poor will almost never, Mega-Wealthy will all the time.
The happier a customer is the more likely they are to accept an extension.
Short Sessions seem less likely than Long Sessions but that may just be a coincidence.

Sankis posted:

I usually just try it on non-poors who have the purple happiness and it seems to work like 33% of the time. There doesn't seem to be a downside to trying.

Is there a way to rest my hostesses without opening the club without them working?

No, but once you get Busy Bee Saki you basically have someone who never needs a break and so you can have her and some gold-rank hostesses carry the club while your Platinums recover.