Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

What is Yakuza?
Yakuza is Sega's running series of open world 3rd person action-adventure beat-em-ups. A fusion of Shenmue's open world FREE concept with the pseudo-JRPG elements of River City Ransom and the high-speed beat-em-up action of Streets of Rage. Fight with your fists and feet! Pick up a bike or a beer bottle and smash them over someone's head! Throw people into walls or do super powerful HEAT moves to dispatch them with ease! Hit the town and fight thugs or check out the arcade and bars at your leisure. Go hard into the story, or get lost in the dozens of silly side quests! What once was considered to be Shenmue's spiritual successor, Yakuza has evolved into its own strange beast that, as a whole, can't be compared to any other game on the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1OppE7c_Vk

The series' main protagonist is a a man by name of Kazuma Kiryu, also known as "The Dragon of Dojima." He's a very serious, stern, and loyal man who fights to protect his friends, family, and those he trusts in his former Yakuza family: the Tojo Clan. Many of the games in this series occur in the fictional "Kamuro-cho" red light district in Tokyo, but over time the series has sprawled from Okinawa to Hokkaido! Many of his adventures are super-serious crime dramas surrounding the Tojo Clan dealing with struggles from both within and from other clans. Over the course of the series, new playable characters with their own unique storylines have been added to spice things up and they all have their own special fighting style to make them distinct from Kiryu, so you're sure to find at least someone you really like! Whether it's super fast flippy kicks, brutish bulldozer tackles, pro wrestling moves, knife play, CQC, you've got it all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSlQitUUWNc

But for all the serious crime stories and melodrama, Yakuza is mostly well known for its bizarre, off-the-wall sense of humor and side content! Go at your own pace and see the sights, because usually the games'll just wait for when you're ready! Don't wanna go save the day right now? Go hang out at a Pachinko parlor! Not feeling up to that boss fight? Go help Michael Jackson shoot a music video! Zombie apocalypse seem a little too humdrum? Go sing at karaoke! Manage a baseball team! Play slot cars! Go have phone sex! Recruit a chicken to help you with your real estate business! Take care of a baby! Go beat up a bunch of fat dudes DRESSED as babies! Go fishing! Create your own Clan!

Come for the gripping Japanese criminal drama with real world Japanese actors scanned into the games, stay for the trading card games and pro wrestlers!

What games are in the series?
Boy, am I glad you asked! Yakuza has a truckload of games just waiting for you to play and enjoy so here they all are! Most of these trailers do the heavy lifting in explaining what they're about and the gameplay, so there's minimal text underneath each one to give you a little additional information.

• Yakuza Zero (PC / PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMUr36dCRik

Chronologically the first game in the series and one of the most popular games in the franchise, and also coming to PC! :siren: If you're new to Yakuza, play this first! :siren:

• Yakuza Kiwami 1 (PC / PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Ez2HSaA8Q

This is a fully fledged remake of the original Yakuza 1 built on the engine for Yakuza Zero. It's a very faithful remake that keeps all of the original content and adds even more content from Yakuza Zero. It is suggested that you play this after Zero because of new additions to the story that tie into Zero.

• Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vng-2rETJK0

This remake of PS2's Yakuza 2 is the latest entry to the series and is the second game to be built on the all-new engine made for Yakuza 6. It's not as faithful a remake as Kiwami 1 with some locales and minor details removed but makes up the difference with an all-new Majima campaign and even more enhancements and additions on what Yakuza 6 built.

• Yakuza 3 (PS3/PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn5RtYfX8Q8

Kazuma Kiryu's official debut on the PlayStation 3! As the first true Yakuza game for its generation, Yakuza 3 pushed forward with an all-new engine and an all-new style that introduced many new features to the franchise. The Western release unfortunately suffered some content cuts because of Sega of America's strange ideas, so things like Hostess Clubs and Mahjong are not in this title. As of this thread's posting, Yakuza 3 is only available in the West as a disc-exclusive PlayStation 3 release but a PlayStation 4 HD Remaster has been announced and is almost guaranteed to come overseas.

• Yakuza 4 (PS3/PS4/PS Now)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpqEyoRKPiA

The first Yakuza game to really branch out and implement multiple protagonists! Meet a whole new cast of playable characters who you'll learn to grow and love across all the future Yakuza games (except one)! Much like Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4 also has a confirmed PlayStation 4 HD Remaster in the works. For PS4 owners who are too impatient though, you can play it through PlayStation Now.

• Yakuza 5 (PS3/PS4/PS Now)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5RAQ7FUDaA

The final main series game dedicated on the PlayStation 3, Yakuza 5 stands as to this date as the most content jampacked of all the PS3 games and undoubtedly has the story with the largest scale featuring five different protagonists having adventures across Japan. As you might have guessed by now, there is a PlayStation 4 HD Remaster coming at some point and you can play it right now on PlayStation Now if you don't have a PS3 and don't want to wait for the remaster.

• Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9xc4X-f49M

The final game in Kazuma Kiryu's story chronologically in the Yakuza franchise and the debut of the brand new style of Yakuza game, this game acts as the culmination of several previous games to create a dramatic finale that also kicks off a brand new generation of Yakuza games! With an even more streamlined open world and a new combat engine, Yakuza 6 takes the franchise in a bold new direction that would later be built upon by Yakuza Kiwami 2. Just keep in mind that this was the first game on the engine and as such it doesn't have much in the way of optional content.

• "New Yakuza Series" (PC / Smartphone / Consoles)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xn1PNNK_Q

With the end of Kazuma Kiryu's story in Kamurocho, Sega and Team Yakuza have a brand new series of Yakuza games to present to you! Very little is known about them at this point, but they star a brand new protagonist by the name of Kasuga Ichiban (who is a low level yakuza thug) and it will be a sequel story to Kazuma Kiryu's.

• Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RE-cWHtWNE

What do you do when you're Team Yakuza and you want to try making a shooter but want to make sure you've got the kinks ironed out before hand? You make a Yakuza spinoff! Yakuza: Dead Souls is the only third-person shooter in the franchise and tasks players with saving Kamurocho and the world from a growing zombie apocalypse centered in Kamurocho, featuring a cast of all-star Yakuza characters coming together to make an exciting if weird and kind of clunky non-canon zombie shooter! Team Yakuza later went on to make Binary Domain, which isn't in this thread because it's not a Yakuza/Yakuza-related game but I assure you it's actually pretty decent and you should go play that.

• Ryu ga Gotoku KENZAN! (PS3)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy8Y0COa33Y

This is Yakuza's debut title on PlayStation 3 and the game that kicked off Yakuza's march into full 3D, implementing many of the techniques like 3D environments and 3D facial scanning which the series would become known for. This Japanese-exclusive entry to the franchise stars the legendary samurai Miyamoto Musashi who, after being defeated by the army of Ieyasu Tokugawa at the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600, retires and changes his identity to become a bodyguard in the luxurious city of Gion where he goes by the name of Kazumanosuke Kiryu. His quiet, humdrum life as a rent-a-sword is thrown into turmoil when he encounters a little girl by the name of Haruka, who has a job for him: Assassinate Miyamoto Musashi!

Despite being lauded by the Japanese fans as one of the greatest games in the franchise, it is doubtful that it will ever see Western release... but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it yourself! Fellow Goon Egomaniac over in the Let's Play forum did an entire let's play for KENZAN! that you can enjoy here. If anything, please enjoy this kickass theme song the game has!

• Ryu ga Gotoku ISHIN! (PS3/PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZP8eduECw8

This Japanese-exclusive entry was a PlayStation 4 launch day game. Continuining with the theme of having new PlayStation console debuts with samurai-oriented spinoffs, ISHIN! takes place during the final days of the Samurai during the Bakumatsu Period in the mid-1800s with Kazuma Kiryu-ancestor (and real world samurai) Sakamoto Ryoma.

• Kurohyō: Ryū ga Gotoku Shinshō (PSP)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHV5Wa7-ogo

Kurohyo is a weird beast. It's a Japanese PSP-exclusive spinoff series that's about a punk teenager who really wants to get into MMA and gets swept up in some Yakuza shenanigans. I really don't know a whole lot about it and the only reason it's here is because I wanted to be somewhat thorough but there's virtually zero chance that the Kurohyous will ever come overseas and every attempt I've seen at a fan translation just peters out so just admire it as a curiosity. The sequel doesn't get any kind of write-up because what else could I really say other than "it somehow got a sequel?"

• Kurohyō 2: Ryū ga Gotoku Ashura hen (PSP)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPJcdzI4-oY

• Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise (PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH14wbODYO4

It's the crossover you never knew you wanted! A Fist of the North Star game made by Team Yakuza, with Kazuma Kiryu's voice actor playing as Kenshiro! All of the great Yakuza gameplay you know and love mixed with the uber-1980s manly Hokuto no Ken action and style known around the world. Featuring a whole slew of brand new mini-games and systems to play with, Lost Paradise takes players through an encapsulated Greatest Hits of all the best parts of Fist of the North Star with all the exciting and memorable battles with its classic villains in that classic Yakuza game style. You're Already Dead if you don't buy this game!

That's all the major, notable games in the Yakuza franchise and beyond! As mentioned before, if you're new start with Yakuza Zero! Other than that, welcome and please talk about Yakuza.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Chexoid posted:

How, after 7 yakuza games, there's still a street thug in Japan who will just pick a fight with Kiryu for no reason is beyond me.

My personal theory is that challenging Kiryu is like some kind of practical joke for the thugs, Yakuza, and other denizens of Kamurocho. Like everyone got beat up by Kiryu when they were younger and when they get new recruits they're like "hey if you see this dude you should go shake him down it'll be easy!' and they just sit back and laugh.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Just got to Majima's starting chapter (Thank you, street date breaking store!), and as far as I can tell starting sub stories are not marked. They do have markings once you started it, though.

uuughhh noooooo

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

PlayStation Trophies.org has a good trophy guide for Yakuza Zero that details all the missable trophies (there's 8 in all) for those of you who are completionists.

LEGEND difficulty not having access to the Golden Gun and not having Cheat items to skip Completion tasks on certain gambling games makes me weep.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

fadam posted:

What are they?

There's 8 of them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Night Blade posted:

FFFFFFFffffffuck

Look on the bright side: Yakuza 6 has Virtua Fighter 5!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

You should also be excited for Yakuza Kiwami this Summer, as they added Majima all over that remake.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the best part of dead souls was majima

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFoNwoMxjY

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sony America's effectively turned Yakuza into their little pet project thanks to Gio Corsi and Sony Third Party Production, so we'll probably get all the main games for the foreseeable future. I mean, if the same system exists to give David Cage work then goddamnit it can do some good by giving us Yakuza games. The only major ones we've missed now aren't even main games, they're all spin-offs like KENZAN!, ISHIN!, and the PSP games no one wants to play.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Speaking of is there a decent guide anywhere for Kenzan aimed at people who know no Japanese? I bought it on a trip there ages ago, but my attempts to play it never met with any great success.

Here's what I have.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Like every Yakuza game, once you give me unbridled freedom I will proceed to clear as much of the Completion List as possible. I should be going to find this Real Estate office, but right now I'm loading up on AppStim then binge and purging at every restaurant in Kamurocho.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Ceramics posted:

There's no reason to use appstims in this one really. There's a CP upgrade called bottomless stomach that lets you keep eating even if you're full. Much quicker then eating a couple things, leaving, popping a stim, and going back.

e: legendary drinker of ryukyu still serves a purpose though. no upgrade to keep drinking i don't think.

Oh dang, I haven't even seen that CP upgrade yet. I did manage to clear out a majority of the bars in Kamurocho though, and I'm currently grinding my face on Combination/Carom shots so I'll go check that out afterwards. Thanks!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I really like the Completion List this time around, what with it being less exhaustive about what it wants from you, being linked to Completion Points that you cash in for unique bonuses, and the game actually telling you if you've completed one, but I hate that there seem to be a bunch of "gotcha" ones. One in particular that bugs me is the one for the UFO Catcher, where it asks for 5 unique items and when you complete it they bump it up to 10 but there's no in-game listing as far as I can tell that says which UFO Catcher items you've already collected.

I do like that the List itself seems to be geared towards getting you to see the newest mini-game content rather than bashing your face into the entire plethora of it. The Coliseum getting drummed out to general completions and simple Yen Earned objectives on perennial rear end in a top hat games like Baseball while new games like Disco Dancing and Slot Car Racing get full treatment for CP is a great idea, mainly because gently caress the batting cages.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is there an easier way to find and buy new property than stopping every couple of feet to mash my guy into the nearest doorway and hammer x just in case that doorway is the magic doorway to a building I can buy?

Yeah here you go.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm still on Chapter 2 slumming around for Completion (just finished Super Hang-On!) and I've found Mr. Shakedown so far to be okay if a bit unforgiving for your screw ups. Getting some good defensive gear like at the clown at the CP shrine helps. If I don't have the HEAT I just stuck it out on Rush mode, quickstep aside from his dash, get a few swings in, bait out his punches and if he's doing the one punch I can get a full combo and if not I just hang back. Takes a couple minutes. Just got a 150 million payout on one.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I really enjoy Yakuza 0's take on prequel callbacks in some of these substories. I just finished the Disco Dancing substories and it only just dawned on me that the same "brother" of disco you meet turns out to be Haruka's dance instructor about 20 years later in Yakuza 5. Nice stuff Sega.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I missed that post but I just went to the base Completion List page, not delving into any of the submenus, and there's an option to hit Triangle for Completed Items. Very useful, thanks exploded mummy!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yakuza 5's crowd density is so terrible. I get that they wanted to flaunt these huge populations but they're so terrible in practice. There have been times where I run into a mob and they end up surrounding me and I spend a good 15-20 seconds trying to fight my way out of them.

This game does such a much better job with getting that crowd density right, there's a ton of people but they're not as packed together and you bowl them over like nothing even if they get in your way.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I think Yakuza 2 is kind of put over more than most for the ridiculous ending sequence, but that entire game is effectively non-canon at this point with how hard they try to ignore it ever happened. You'd think someone in Osaka might bring up the time a golden castle rose out of the ground but no, it's just business as usual for Sotenbori. It did have a story written by an actual crime author which made it a lot more interesting, in my opinion, but the classic PS2 games are just too archaic these days. I can't imagine going back to the original 2, especially with Kiwami coming this Summer and Sega of Japan saying last year that they wanted to give 2 the Kiwami treatment as well. Yakuza Kiwami 2 could probably turn out to be one of the series best.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I don't think they ever explain that feature, I just stumbled upon it by complete accident.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh yeah, if you're a trophy completionist it's probably a real bad time. I've long given up on trying to platinum a Yakuza game, there's always poo poo I'm just never going to bother to get any good at (looking at you, Shoji).

Believe in yourself. I have them all except for Zero and 5 (which I will go back to at some point after Zero) and I feel like a better person for it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is there a compelling real estate reason to leave chapter 5 or can I just grind out all the billionaires in a row like a madman before I move on

Go for it, but there's also

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, Zap Guns kind of make Mr. Shakedown irrelevant. I bought about 10 and just cycle through em, haven't finished Chapter 5 yet but Kiryu's just about maxed out on everything.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The balls thrown for the money ball game are static. You can go online to like the Japanese Yakuza 0 strategy wikis and see that they figured it all out.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Man, this telephone game is a real pain in the rear end. I hate trying to figure out the voices of which girls I've already spoken to. I know about the bikini colors but it's a pain to kill five minutes on this thing and find out you got the wrong girl and stick through a few more minutes of dialogue before you can try again. Yet somehow this takes less time and effort than Hostess Clubs so thumbs up.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Adaptabullshit posted:

The input prompt speed is a dead giveaway.

Eventually I figured that out, but thank you. I managed to get all 4 substories done and now I'm just wrapping up Beast mode training before boot up Nioh.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well, I had to fight them for the Completion Points!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Wow, this Catfight mini-game sure is trash.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Finally got a Catfight win after trying for an hour and a half. Pretty sure this is the worst thing Team Yakuza has done since Dead Souls.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who's still in chapter 7 at 60 hours in because I have to get both legendary styles as soon as possible.

Yeah, I'm approaching 90 hours in Chapter 7 because whenever I get a new mini-game I'm like "Yep gotta get completion on it" so here I am finishing Cabaret Club and I'm like ya know I gotta get 15 fresh water fish too...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

The Cabaret Club feels like the sort of thing I'm going to have to space out, it's decent but gets mind-numbing quickly.

Just finished it, unlocked the Mad Dog style, don't know where I'm going to find that last gold hostess...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Man, these Cabaret Club substories are a pain in the rear end. I've already finished the entire questline but two girls haven't finished their Special Training so I have to complete a training session then blow some time doing the cabaret club mini-game again before I can train again. The training isn't even helpful because the two remaining girls are like Lv. 20+ at this point so a perfect lesson doesn't even come close to leveling them up. Is there really no way to speed this up? Because I have to play this minigame at least 11 more times to finish these two girls.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

man nurse posted:

So where do you play fantasy zone? I can only find space harrier and outrun.

It's in Sotenbori iirc

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

God drat, getting Completion in Mahjong looks like it's going to be terrible.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

mikeycp posted:

It's not that bad! 1 good hand knocks out all the hard ones in one shot.

Getting 7 pairs did it for me, so now all I have left is to earn money and get out a few more times.

Wait all I need is 7 pairs? Like in Yakuza 3? Okay I'm down with that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Stelas posted:

You need a few baiman too, I think, but they'll come over time.

e; and a full straight iirc

Ughhhh I really hate goals going for specific hands.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

precision posted:

Ugh, I got the first one but somehow didn't get the second one. So the only way I could Platinum this game is to start a new game? Welp, maybe I'll Plat Kiwami.

You have to beat the game twice to get Platinum in Zero anyway, because you have to beat the game on Legend difficulty (which doesn't allow NG+ item carryovers)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Is the real estate stuff time gated or something? I unlocked the real estate mini game and I'm in chapter 6 but I've run out of purchasable properties and I only own like 46 % of the Leisure King district.

You have to advance the story more.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

My memory of 2 is that no one thought Daigo would be a good chairman (including himself), just that he was the only one left alive with a clear claim to it that wouldn't immediately lead to infighting. Basically the same problem as trying to find a new king of a country when the current king when a whole bunch of their family was suddenly killed or whatever.

The rest of the series is him trying to grow into that role without running back to uncle Kiryu.

It's been awhile since I played it, but wasn't Dead Souls the only Yakuza game where the villain outright says that Kiryu always coming back just screws everything up, leaves things in a greater mess than when he started, and if he actually cared about the Tojo Clan then he'd actually step up as Chairman? Kind of weird that the non-canon spinoff would be the only one to outright say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Awww :( The NJPW tie-in seemed like the obvious way to get new moves by Kiryu defeating each guy and learning one of his big moves in return.