Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Songbearer posted:

I'm coming up on the end of Kiwami and while I preferred 0 by far, I've enjoyed my time with it. The side missions definitely feel a lot less wacky and there feels like there's been a lot more grind for things that aren't that interesting in the skill trees, all of which I've maxed out except for Dragon which I'm building up. No spoilers, but how does Kiwami 2 compare in these regards? Also, just out of curiosity, how faithful is Kiwami to the original game when it comes to progression, sidequests, story etc?
Kiwami 2 is a better game all around- the combat's more fun and the new engine looks really good. Yakuza 2 was a better game than Yakuza 1 to start with (weirder sidequests, larger world) and the update did it justice.

From memory, the biggest additions in Kiwami compared to OG Y1 are the four combat styles, Majima Everywhere, Nishiki's backstory and slot car racing. Komaki's sidequest was different because Dragon Style wasn't a separate thing. There were also more hostesses to date in the original, although you didn't get a Sexy FMV as a reward at the end.

The actual main story and most of the sidequests are the same though and just reuse the old script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I've been replaying Kiwami 2 recently, and I gotta say that the final confrontation is One of the Greats. Every surviving villain shows up to explain their evil schemes! Kiryu fights a shitload of dudes! Everyone keeps getting shot repeatedly! There's a giant bomb for some reason! Kiryu hits peak anime just in time for the final final bossfight! "A real man... oughta be a little stupid"

It's so perfectly dumb while still having some real emotion, it might be my favorite ending of all the Yakuza's I've played (still need to do 5,6,7).

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's the point of no return for Akiyama's chapter in 4? I hear you only access his business for a tiny window of time before its locked until the endgame.
I think it’s when you go below Millennium Tower? That’s the final dungeon for Akiyama’s story.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Tanimura turns into a murder machine once you get the skill that lets you do a heat attack straight after a combo. No worrying about positioning just, punch - punch - punch - BREAK BOTH THEIR ARMS.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Gort posted:

Kiryu's endless cycle of:

* Save Tojo Clan
* I must take responsibility by leaving forever (wtf that's the opposite of taking responsibility)
* Inevitably come back to save the Tojo Clan next Christmas

has been repeated so many times that it's beginning to feel cowardly, like the devs are unwilling to take the consequences of their own plot decisions.

I'd probably enjoy it more if a character (probably someone like Majima) pointed out what a coward Kiryu's actions actually make him.
I think Yakuza 4 addresses this somewhat, Kiryu apologises to Daigo for dumping the Tojo on him with no support and the ending implies he'd be sticking around for a while to help rebuild. I've just finished Y4 so it's fresh in my mind.

Of course, by Y5 we're back to business as usual, oh well.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

if you're going to make a rhythm game-focused section then at least give me more than two drat songs. also the business side of the chapter feels more than a little slimy, it's got the same fawning outlook on idols as Mirage Sessions but without that extra layer of unreality to keep it palatable
It seemed pretty cynical/realistic to me (within the Yakuza definition of realism). Haruka gets bullied by her instructors and rivals, everyone assumes she's sleeping her way to the top (and she gets propositioned by a producer in one of her sidestories), Park and Yamamaura give her grim lectures about the price of fame, and most of the Idol work she does is an endless grind of shopping mall concerts and creepy handshake events. I don't think any design team that went to the effort of animating superfans sniffing their palms after shaking hands with Haruka has a rose-tinted view of Idoldom.

Agree that Haruka is too nice in general though. She definitely needed some wackier substories to bounce off.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Irony.or.Death posted:

I think I broadly agree with both of you, just...it feels like a stretch to call that the plot when it's all stuff we learn in the opening taxi ride. It's a fine premise. The individual segments contain some interesting beats that don't have any apparent connection to that opening premise so I was certainly curious about how it was all going to come together in the finale. But then it turns out the answer is terribly, in a way that makes no sense even by series standards. Reminder: the "villain" wanted to make sure Saejima was out of the way, and his approach to this starts with breaking Saejima out of prison and culminates with persuading Saejima to have a fist fight with Majima. I'm as happy as the next guy that Saejima punched a bear out along the way, but that's just breathtaking. We are left with some good vignettes inside of a really bad story.

I may still be really mad about the mis- and under-use of Majima.
Yakuza 5 finale stuff-
Kurosawa doesn’t want Saejima out of the way, he wants him in Tokyo to kill Katsuya, and when that fails he pits him against Majima instead. His whole scheme is decapitating the Tojo and the Omi simultaneously by manipulating all their top brass to kill each other, so his people can take control.

I don’t mind the stupidly convoluted villain schemes in Yakuza 5, but I really dislike the part where the heroes figure it all out in advance and... go along with it anyway, because :shrug:

Also, I think I’m the only person in the world who likes the Mandatory Final Boss Twist in Y5 just because I love it when the hero and the villain have similar motives. Gotta help your kid follow their dreams!

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

untzthatshit posted:

So here's my question, am I setting myself up even more tedium and failure if I try to just march on through the finale at this point? Or is it worth my time to grind the Majima Everywhere stuff until I've got the secret move that makes the finale way easier?
Nah. Majima Everywhere is mostly a tedious grind, and every boss in the finale can be blasted through with sufficient Staminan Royales. Tiger Drop is fun but not essential.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Is there any items in LaD that restore a good amount of HP alone? Everything is like 10 or 15 MP, except for the turaniers and you can only carry so many of those, so i don't want to waste them. Something that restores like 40 or 50 would be great. I have so many HP restoring items that are excellent, but there is a lack of MP ones.
Booze is the answer to all life’s problems. Alcoholic drinks restore a lot of MP and you can buy em from any convenience store.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Impressive Nugget costume there.

Question for the thread- is the Fist of the North Star game any good? How'd you rank it compared to regular Yakuza games? It's 50% on the PS store right now, and I'm tempted.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s in the 0/Kiwami 1 engine and it’s average for a Yakuza game (which is still a very good game). Definitely better than Dead Souls as far as spin offs go, and the combat is way less frustrating than some of the PS3-era games and their remasters IMO.

If you enjoy Yakuza it’s fun and you’ll enjoy it even more if you’re familiar with the source material, but I wouldn’t call it a must-play if you’re in a “take it or leave it” relationship with the overall franchise.

Yardbomb posted:

The Fist of the North Star game's pretty cool, got a lot of side content like you'd expect from a RGG Team game, the combat's fun, the heat moves are of course your [HOKUTO SHINKEN: HUNDRED CRACK FIST!] type deal with the super into it announcer, with both english and japanese voice tracks that are similarly fun, the JP voices are just straight up Kiryu as Ken, Majima as Jagi and so on. Also the Kiryu skin's funny, since he still has to match up to Kenshiro's gargantuan size at least height-wise, so he's extremely leggy and stocky-posed.

Also the baseball minigame this time is Ken home run swinging incoming bandits off of motorcycles with a girder. :allears:
Well, I'm sold. Time to explode some heads.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Just finished Lost Judgment. I thought it was pretty bad; the plot was stupid but not in a fun way, Yagami is boring, and all the School Story mini games sucked. And why the hell was the final dungeon not the cool old ship museum we had one fight in, but instead some generic warehouse?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EDIT: What in the flying gently caress is Haruka's "Running" mission even supposed to emulate? She's sprinting through back alleys while an unseen individual (who sounds like he's reading lines for a nature film) provides inscrutable narration; at the end, the director talks about the shot like their whole business is filming people running through alleyways, and that this is a very normal thing. I also feel like I got another sandwich as a reward.
"TV Asahi leaves the specific appeal of the program up to the viewer to decide"

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Gort posted:

The bit I find crazy in Judgment is that the villains act like the miracle drug is just one more test away from being perfect, when in reality it kills you graphically in literal moments. It's about as lethal as drinking bleach. It would never make it past its first animal test, it's basically weedkiller.

A villain could probably make a convincing argument that killing a hundred people to cure dementia in billions can be justified, but this drug has never been anything but instant death, let alone on the brink of a breakthrough.

Shono says that (like Theralizumab) the drug did get past animal tests, that’s why the ADDC held the big press conference and got the hype train rolling. It’s only lethal to humans, but I’m sure we can overcome that little problem with a few dozen murders! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

DO YOU WANT KIRYU INSURANCE?

(I wish I had the money to buy crap like this)