Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/Evitron/status/903675384914432001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does anyone have a hidden techniques and weapons guide for Kiwami 2? Even when I first played it I never unlocked all the skills because I have no idea where to look for a bunch of them. Playing it and 3 are making me appreciate Kiwami 2 and 0 more. At least in that one to get new skills it was just five training sessions with people they make a point of stopping things and making sure you note that they're important.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm replaying Kiwami 2 and actually taking my time on the Cabaret and trying to work up the enthusiasm to do more Clan Creator- I don't think I can do it. I've done like five or eight now and I'm only at 2 stars, this thing looks monstrously long.

I might've been a moron back in 0 too, is there a way to give your cabaret girls a break besides playing a round with different ones or still no?

Also, why the hell do you actually have stamina in long battles? I'm trying to attend a funeral here and I'm huffing and puffing like Link fresh out of his coffin in BotW.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

Imagine the Shangri-la fight as a continuous sequence, following Kiryu as he moves from room to room dropping fools left and right until it smash-cuts to Majima driving the truck through the front door.

Also, unlike a lot of those examples, Kiryu just being a glacier of a man. No super-athletic flips or showy dodges. Just one dude bulldozing through a horde of yakuza punks.

Right up until someone comes at him from behind with a bat and he busts out a hitherto unseen roundhouse kick.

isk posted:

Yep. I think a pretty good picture of Kiryu in a movie is Agent Smith from the first Matrix. Lots of blocks, counters, and straight power punches.

I imagine Netflix Punisher but even more durable somehow.

Well, a few more flips than that, if they use the Kiwami 1 and 0 Dragon Style as reference.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

rememeber majimas brother Saejima? turns out those guns were all loaded with blanks(unbeknowst to him) and another guy came in afterwards and executed all 18 of those guys.

Whoa, that's nuts. And I heard that there's supposed to be a time machine at some point in this series!

Well, Yakuza 4's gonna unlock in two days. Any advice/suggested Substories that's not in here? https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Yakuza_4

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

SUPER DUPER IMPORTANT: For completing different characters' combat training missions, you're gonna get three pieces of armor. When you wear them all together, it helps you resist bullets. Do NOT start the finale of the game without giving all three of those pieces to Tanimura, the cop. It will increase your enjoyment of the game 1000%.

Wow, okay then. Um, is it like Kiwami 2's Sacred Wood Armor where you just block all of them?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, got to Chapter 12.

Osaka Castle is the greatest thing holy poo poo it is a gold castle INSIDE a castle!

Kiryu Sengoku is a thing and I need those Kenzan/Isshin releases, cowards!

A GODDAMN TIGER! TWO GODDAMN TIGERS! Kiryu gives no fucks.

For a guy suffering from a massive abdominal wound, Kiryu is doing real well.

You can see how every game would go way differently depending on if you're playing Kiryu or Yagami.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You've gotta actually go to the store and download the game, which threw me off.

Anyway, 0 and Kiwami have spoiled me, I keep hoping the next game I play will have a run button, because I can't see how you can get away from fights without one. I certainly couldn't avoid any in 3. And I feel like it was tough in Judgment too but I might be misremembering.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

What are Kiryu and Majimas favorite meals?

Good question. I know Majima loves him some Karaage though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yakuza 4: drat, I can't believe they came up with something even more nerve-wracking than doing tournaments yourself with the dojo training side activity. I keep constantly whiffing attacks as Taiga even with the combo speed boost.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

My trick to Shakedown was to get the skill that increases whatever he's carrying by 50%. Pick a fight with him, lose on purpose. Rematch, beat his rear end. Repeat.

Yeah, if you do the first section of Kiryu's chapter 5 thing that unlocks the entire Brawler tree. So if you can get enough CP to unlock deep pockets on Mr. Shakedown you can easily start building a rad nest egg really fast. Use that to build his attack damage to the max and you can beat him down even with his max health and damage pretty consistently. Or that's what I did at least. Waiting on things to actually start paying decently on the real estate side of things took forever so I just used that as a side fund for health items while fighting Mr. Shakedowns repeatedly and losing every so often to bounce his cash total up to multiple billions of yen.

Also I greatly prefer the Yakuza 0 method of unlocking skills because it's straightforward. I don't have to hunt around for substories to get new moves or buy a book from some guy 7 chapters in, poo poo's just there and you pay for it and move on with your day. Or someone stops you and makes it very clear that they're important and will teach you a new thing if you train with them 5 times.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

yeah but that also owned.

Nothing makes someone look like they can take a beating than having them get up and fight you not 4 rooms later after you beat them. Well, that and them having Red Heat. Andre still surprised the poo poo out me though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Skeezy posted:

This is great and now I don’t have to be stuck on the PS4 anymore. Xbox Stays Winning.

Hoping they get the other games eventually.

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5, 2.5, and 2.8 headed to Xbox One in 2020 so that's a few.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Apraxin posted:

Lol I'd forgotten that exclusive of the *TRUE VILLAIN* bullshit in Saejima's backstory, the hit he went down for was him specifically trying to whack Yoshiharu Ueno and failing, but killing eighteen Ueno Seiwa goons as collateral damage on the way to shooting Ueno point-blank and then leaving without checking if his mortal nemesis was still breathing or not.

Why does everyone call him Eighteen-Count Saejima instead of giant gently caress-up Saejima.

Only like 3 maybe 4 people even know what actually happened. Everyone else just knows Saejima went in and 17 people died, it doesn't really seem like that much of a stretch to assume that clearly he murdered nearly a dozen and a half people.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Hey, so I am way at the end of Yakuza 0 doing the premium adventure mode. I want to get the CP to unlock my legendary styles but due to using it on the business sidequests (mistakenly I guess) I'm like 11 short and all I have left is minigame CP, which I really can't stand grinding. Don't get me wrong, the fact that there is a Mahjong parlor is awesome, but the idea of playing it or the other gambling minigames to get cp sounds like the most boring grindy nonsense. SO........I guess what I'm asking is there any other way to get the necessary CP, like can I reset certain substories or something?

Pocket Circuit is simple and gives tons of cp. Also, dont forget about all those medicine and eat food items ones.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Madmarker posted:

I have eaten everything at every restaraunt and completed everything for pocket circuit.....literally the only stuff left is the gambling and mahjong minigame stuff

I meant like, pork buns, or lunches, things that actually sit in your inventory so uhhhh, wow, I've got nothing, I never bothered with any of the gambling ever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm gonna need ya'll to come to a consensus on Yakuza 5 so I can know whether to look forward to it with dread or anticipation.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

With Judgment shelved I can finally get back to work on Y3 and it seems no matter what game I play there are chase sequences. I'm only in Ch. 5 of Yakuza 3, but please tell me I won't have to tail anyone. The tailing segments in Judgment were sooooooooooo boring.

I only remember the superior 'catch that fleeing scumbag!' version of things so I wanna say no? Also, don't ignore Mack, do go to where he's hanging out and do all his training to upgrade your stamina and stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm still mad about them getting rid of Tanimura's actor and therefore also anything related to the character as well as also taking Nair out with him. She was a really cool side character and also his combo into heat moves system was neat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I Before E posted:

It rules, don't try to 100% it

Yeah, no worries about that. The only games I've 100%ed are the supremely lenient Spider-Man and Control.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

The Kiwami 2 steelbook is gonna be $15 at several places on Friday (best buy, game stop, and othets I think). I know people poo poo them but I really dig the art on the K2 steelbook.

Kiwami 1's the only steelbook I've got that I really liked, personally. I haven't had much luck seeing good ones though. I've only got the Dragon's Crown one as the second. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

is the FotNS Yakuza game bad

I got burned out at around maybe 70-80% through. Couldn't avoid a fight to save my life, they picked a point in Kenshiro's life where he wasn't extremely exciting and they ruined the Caberet minigame by making it into an actual management thing and you've got cards to deal with rowdy customers and also the game doesn't pause while you're making a decision on what to do.

Protip: Turn off the Heat Action QTEs, they're not too fun in this game and it speeds battles up and makes them way more fun to do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xun posted:

Any tips for fighting Mr.Shakedowns in Yakuza 0? First time playing with a controller ever and man it is rough

All I ever did was use the Thug/Brawler style and just hit and run them till they died. Hover around close to them to hopefully bait out that big windmill attack and then do a good combo and back off.

Otherwise just buy 8 Zap Guns and keep shooting the problem till it pays you to stop.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xun posted:

Do I need to be using "lock-on" at all? I think it's RB but as far as I can tell it does nothing so I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

Also pulling off a stomp is pressing Y when a guy is down right? It seems like it randomly either stomps or does a normal attack

It depends on you man. Not using it just lets you run around wherever like when you're not in a fight and holding it down makes you focus on one enemy. I personally enjoy having a lock-on because it helps me not whiff attacks. I think there's some way to choose to stomp enemies without doing heat actions accidentally too but I dunno if I'm just making something up or not.

Also I just remembered I made a dumb short fight against a Mr. Shakedown for the PS4 thread because someone was having trouble in there too and no one ever uses the Share feature on the thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN2TOMnmUYk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/Evitron/status/903675384914432001

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

how's the dub for Judgment? I bought it in the current PSN sale and and was not expecting english audio to even exist.

If people didn't use honorifics I'd have no complaints.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Gameplay digest trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79sDRvm8yk8

Yoooo that Majima summon!

Oh good, everyone else gets to change classes too!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

does anyone think that boss fights will be in regular Dragon Engine combat? I can't imagine they'll let that aspect go away completely but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's just out

When you get really drunk or high you hallucinate the regular beat-em-up system.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wrex Ruckus posted:

This game has another prison segment?!

Was that something in 5? I don't get what you're referencing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I was making a joke about Japan's drug laws

Oooohhhhhhh

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

redreader posted:

Yakuza 0 hostess club challenge chat: so for the first challenge vs club mars (I think?) I made sure I had all of the hostesses I could get, bought 2 or 3 hostesses too, and then ground a little to level up, and the last 'match' I put all of my good hostesses off the roster so all of the gold and the one platinum hostess were all rested. Then I did the battle. I won by like 100k, which was a tiny margin. I didn't save beforehand so maybe it was close to a game over?

Is it worth buying the business CP stuff? What of each character can I ignore the most? Majima only has 3 CP categories.

The hostesses aren't essential, you can hold off on that. Also it's not a game over, they laugh and gloat and walk off celebrating their victory. You can challenge them again whenever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Corte posted:

I don't think I have time to play through them all and I won't have much patience for a system that is less refined, or involves more grinding, than Yakuza Zero. With that in mind would your recommendation change at all?

Oh, well if you don't have the time to get into every game in the series just jump in with Not-Judgment and use the video recaps of the other games to catch yourself up on the plot of the other ones.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I liked Kaito a lot more than Yagami, even though he has much more tying him to the story than Kaito does.

Would've preferred to play as him instead too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's the exact same character design working at the same bar. she's wearing the same dress, even! so either earth angel is passed down to a series of identical trans women or it is just a weird gently caress up that slipped through the cracks. mama isn't even a name, just a generic term for female bar owners.

Bartender Jenny

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Finished Y4, I feel they made a better decision keeping it to Kiryu or Kiryu + 1 as playable characters. Four feels like way too many, although it really beats home that as a fighter Kiryu really is on an entirely different level compared to the Yakuza universe.

Yeah thinking of it from a creative standpoint it's a nightmare.

Hey make a script in which the protagonist changes four times a fourth of the way through every time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

5 should be downloadable tomorrow but does anyone know when that'll start? Like, Noon, 3PM any idea?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I wish they'd hurry up and announce if they're putting 3-5 on Steam. If not, I'd buy it for PS4 immediately, but if they are, I'll wait.

Proably are but just, not going to put them on it ahead of PS4. I dunno if steam has game locks so you can't play it before the clock hits whatever but I'm guessing they're just holding off so people can't crack it ahead of time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What's all this about cracking? They haven't even announced a PC port. Best we got is "can't say it won't ever happen" and that was in August.

I mean that's my guess, but I don't know how any of this works. I'm just assuming that's why there's no PC version yet, because I'm assuming it's easier to hack a file to download on a computer than is on a PS4.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm so glad to be playing 5 and be able to pause cutscenes again. If there's one feature that really got the ball dropped it's getting that into the earlier games.

That loving rules. Always, more Majima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dewgy posted:

I was miffed about this too, then like...95% into my second run of Yakuza 4 I realized that the PS menu pauses cutscenes. Not exactly ideal, but it’s a whole lot better than not being able to do it at all.

This is the kind of out of the box thinking that I never come to. That would've been really helpful to know!

I'm sure I asked before but anything I should be wary about with 5? I think not picking up locker keys with Haruka was one but I can't remember.