Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I dont get all the mahjong complaints when KoiKoi is in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Any 3, so 1 2 3, 2 3 4, 3 4 t are all valid. Ron or Tsumo dont need to be a pair, they can be a sequence.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

Learning to play Koi Koi passably takes like 15 mins. Learning to play Mahjong passably (by CP completion standards) takes hours.

Turn on red dora (to increase the chance of Mangan), pretend you're playing Gin Rummy and ignore Pon/Chi, Riichi when you need one more tile. Prioritize getting a straight flush until you get one. I guess I knew how to read 1-9 in Kanji going in?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Overall I found Break to be Majima's best style. You can often spin to the rear of an enemy to break their guard.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I found out by accident that swapping hostesses table to table does not cancel Fever Time and proceeded to abuse the hell out of that.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

IDONTPOST posted:

Yeah this was the specific section I was talking about, some fight in that chapter against 12 guys who all have weapons that just stunlocked me over and over, Beast modes attacks have such a slow start up that I could never get in a single hit. Ended up having to scum it with some weapons I had and a lot of healing items.

Unrelated how the gently caress do I beat Mr Shakedown? He kicks my rear end everytime

Dodge a blow, 2 hit rush combo, grab weapons when you have heat.

Later, carry a couple of zap guns as necessary.

Endgame, Tiger Drop or whatever the brawler counter is actually called.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
So, I'm at the endgame in Kiwami 2, going for the plat. Besides gang leaders, I have Amons, Clan Creator, Bouncer and Coliseum remaining. What is the best order to tackle these?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for the advice! My wife loves running Cabaret for fun so I have several hundred million yen to drop on Kamiyama when I get home.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
There are way too many bouncer missions.

Played the whole game on hard but went down to easy to alleviate this grind.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kaboobi posted:

Holy poo poo getting 3000 points in baseball is gonna be a slog. Is the best way to do expert challenges with the serene bat? The home run challenge seems to take way way too long to ramp up

Expert Challenge 1 with the normal bat was easy for me, took a little more than half an hour total.

It seemed faster hitting 7 static pitches than fiddling with aim.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
You can steal if its a dragon, your wind, the table's wind, or if anything if you've already stolen one of the previous combinations. It tends to lead to a cheap hand, though.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Yakuza 5 was my first exposure to the series through PS+ and while it was pretty fun it was a lot of Yakuza. I got to Kamurocho and gor overwhelmed by having to learn a whole huge city that late and never finished it off.

Now I'm replaying it after platniuming 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 and it's great. I actually know who these people are (mostly, anyway), I know how combat works, I know how to just play more efficiently. I wanted more Yakuza and 5 is a lot of Yakuza. Shinada rocks.

gently caress Pachislots, though.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

remusclaw posted:

Baseball guy was, as mentioned regularly, not really all that fun to play as, though I found that his two square one triangle into a superman punch really helped keep him afloat when all else failed. I should probably go back to the game after a break to get through some of the stuff I skipped after starting to burn out. I finished all the obvious side stuff, but there was a lot a just messing around I normally do in these games that I ran past this time. I felt like Kamurocho was barely in 5, but part of that was the burnout and the feel in the finale that things were pushing me toward the end, making me loath to slow down and smell the roses.

I just hit the finale myself. Shinada was a blast to play as. His running sword heat trivializes randoms with efficient heat usage. SSSTC kills individuals, STC creates space / locks down bosses, and he has some solid heat moves and access to a lot of weapon ones if you need to do unconditional damage. The only thing he is missing is a strong counter, but u have no difficulty living without. I have more difficulty with Akiyama.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

When taken back to back Kiwami practically plays like an expansion of 0. Look and feel is identical, it feels silly to call it a polishing pass since it's a complete rebuild in a new engine with new assets but I guess that's what it is for the most part. There is new content but nothing earth shattering, Majima Everywhere and a few substories that link to 0 in particular spring to mind along with some extra background for why Nishiki is doing what he does.

People's main gripes are that it has less content than 0, but from the same perspective it's still expanded on from the PS2 original and it's at a budget price for fucks sake so what did they expect?

Watch out for the health regen mechanic on the bosses though, a tutorial will make you think you've unlocked the counter for it but you actually have to go in and buy the skill after the tutorial. No shame in turning the difficulty down for the first boss because it's brutal.

Any heat action will cancel the healing. Carry a weapon or use a pillar if you need to.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Shimano is a Mr Shakedown reskin and while he isn't fun to fight with the toolset you are likely to have at that point it shouldn't be too bad for returning Zero players.

Besides the Kiwami moves, pull out a weapon / use a object heat or just beat on them. Later in the game whenever a boss went down I'd go into Rush and combo into those slow-rear end charge attacks before switching to the appropriate stance and Kiwami'ing them, which was often enough to push them to the next QTE / regeneration.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
If you are new to Puyo -

Stack the right three columns as fast as you can, all the way to the top, creating groups of three Puyos. When they're full, trigger a grouping near the bottom, which will hopefully cause a chain. Repeat.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Shinada rules, is a great character and fun to play as (only Kiryu is better). Dump Akiyama instead.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

how very dare you

I admit, I haven't played 3 or 4, so I can't judge Akiyama fairly, but the only time I liked him was when he realized he was going to get the poo poo kicked out of him for trying to prevent Kiryu from kidnapping a baby, but doing it anyway.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I *did* plat 5 so I spent a fair amount of time in the arena & other assorted combat.

Saejima was boring but effective. No flinch on heat was so good that you didn't want to spend heat, so SSS charge TTT was almost always the correct move. It worked but was boring to play as.

Kiryu is a god of death. Heat actions for everything, including smoking for crying out loud. Counters, healing, toggleable invulnerability.

In a lot of ways Shinada does feel like a budget Kiryu, but Kiryu has so much that he doesn't lack for anything. Toss inweapons, though, and it's a different story. While it takes some investing, it's not that bad if you buy cheap ones along the way in randoms and train with his master, which gives him tons of durability. His Kali Stick attack is uninterruptable IIRC and destroys bosses even faster than Saejima, his running sword HA takes out 3 enemies with minimal heat use and he has many unique weapon HAs to keep them from going stale in a fight. Without weapons his options are limited, but still has healing to fall back on if required. Edit and STC is cheap as hell, you can poke with it and also use it on recovering enemies purposefully whiffing the S to lock them down.

Akiyama has good mook control with two easy HAs that hit multiple enemies, and good options on launchable enemies, but not all enemies are launchable. A lot of fights against bulkier enemies came down to spamming Launch Strike on the heads of downed enemies, which didn't seem right? For me he was less effective but more fun overall than Saejima, but less fun than the other two.

derra fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 25, 2019

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Controversial opinion: Park's actions were necessary for Haruka's dream to occur. Sure, Haruka spends most of 5 realizing she'd rather be with Kiryu than an idol after all, and Park did have some self interest in pushing her, but both Haruka and Kiryu told Park they wanted her to be on the stage, and Park actually succeded there.

I mean, Kiryu was obviously so good at not being drawn back into the criminal world, or keeping his family out of harm's way. Yup.

Haruka could've (maybe, possibly, well, there's a chance at least) lived a quieter life and still be around Kiryu, but not as an idol. Majima figured this out 0; it takes Kiryu much longer to realize it.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Was trying to be vague intentionally because some people are going through 6 but yes.

God I loved 6 so much, how it stripped out a lot of series baggage to tell a really personal story about Kiryu and his families and for sake of the people playing through now I'll stop there.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

widespread posted:

Yakuza 5: Mirei Park Did Nothing Wrong for the 5 remastered thread.

Park did plenty wrong ... but so did Kiryu, Haruka, and virtually everyone in these games.

Except Shinada, Shinada rules.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Caitlin posted:

Shinada was awful and the only character I actively hated playing as :toot:

he just has the charisma of a cardboard box

Shinada has so much charisma that he gets incels not just laid but actual girlfriends just by being in proximity to him.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
0 1 2 3 4 5 0 6

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Clan Creator is kinda fun, I dunno why everyone hates it

I liked the Kiwami 2 version, could get pretty intense. The Y6 one felt spammy and repetative (I did play the Kiwami 2 one first).

derra
Dec 29, 2012

widespread posted:

I know. I'm just saying gently caress actually playing that particular game of Mahjong out. Like, I think we all can agree it isn't cheating when there's a deficit of 33k for you to play out.

... I didn't know how many cheat tiles there were going to be ...

derra
Dec 29, 2012

mikeycp posted:

wow i thought i was alone

There are still games I haven't played, but I would also put 2's story towards the bottom.

2 (and vague 6) spoilers: It was clearly more ambitious than 1 was, and I appreciated that a lot, but the whole story left a bad taste in my mouth - the game never showed any real sympathy to the majority of Jingweon, the foreign literal dopplegangers who were infiltrating every institution around Kamurocho and could not be reasoned with under any circumstances, only slaughtered. After every major plot beat I asked myself if the game was presenting Dojima or Kazama as right, and more often than not the evidence presented pointed Dojima's way.

I don't expect a Japanese crime drama to be perfectly PC but this left a real sour taste in my mouth. There was ambiguity about a cop who literally performed summary executions, and the cops let him keep doing it (and Kiryu didn't seem exceptionally bothered by it IIRC). Ugh.

Later games had, being vague, much better takes on related subjects, to the point where 6 seemed to be outright apologizing for 2. 6 was a tragedy; 2 felt like an execution, and I didn't enjoy playing as that Kiryu.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I remember using it on 5's final boss and taking out entire health bars (of which there were, like, a dozen)

Yeah Tiger Drop was incredibly powerful in 5 and you can get it almost immediately upon starting the game.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
You can fight a second bear as well in that random-rear end substory, not that there is any real mechanical difference (nor mechanical differences in how to approach ANYONE playing as Saejima, to be honest).

God I thought about Saejima substories and remembered pratfall ramen and got myself mad again. My completionist tendancies make me hate that one so much.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think it's more that you get one chance to do that one, though Y5 (like the other Yakuza games) doesn't really make any distinction between failed/passed sidequests except the quality of the reward you get iirc

Its this plus you auto accept it if you walk near the chef, and I almost always immediately blunder into the first sliding salaryman, then realize I haven't saved since chapter start.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Policenaut posted:

I've been playing these games like 15 years now and I still think the most tedious part of any of these Completion Lists are the gambling points. I'm playing Kiwami 1, cleaned out all the lockers, and I'm just out here dumping yen into points for these dumbass tags and using cheat items to make more tags until I tick past the point they want. It's never been very interesting, like it's fun to do stuff like Pocket Circuit or MesuKing or Mahjong but stuff like grinding Cho-han until it lets you bet 1000 points a throw is so boring oh my god.

I forgot how easy Kiwami 1's List is too. I'm roughly 45 hours in and I'm 75% done already, with the lions share of remaining points being gambling games and miscellaneous accrued points like KM traveled and such. I could just knock out stuff like Eat 30 Food Items or get drunk at every restaurant fast with the sobering items but ehhhhhh. I'm fully aware Haruka's Requests are the secret second list designed to gently caress with you.

I think gambling is consistently very bad but never the worst. JCC, Y5 coliseum with 4 characters, max level spear fishing ugh. And when they would be the actual worst things on the list you have cheat items to help you. I’d rather play Koi-Koi than beat VF2 again.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
There’s often some banal poo poo that annoys me more than gambling even if it isn’t actually difficult or time consuming.

Visit New Gaudi 30 times - seriously it takes me half that
100 hits in baseball - can you even track this?

Oh, the stupid “beat the game on normal without dropping difficulty” trophies. I always play these in the hardest difficulty available, and learning about that one sucked.

I imagine rhythm completion can be hard if you don’t have a knack for it, but I think the only difficulty I ever had was taking 3 times to get Aharuka’s request down.

Oh yeah 5 also had pachinko / pachislot. IF8 grinding. Yeah I like 5 a lot but that platinum had some real low moments.

derra fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 25, 2019

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Lareine posted:

Almost 100 percented Zero. Want to know what is the only thing keeping me from hitting that mark?

Fantasy Zone.

Please, make it stop.

Take it slow, only buy the cheap engine and double bomb upgrades when you die, everything else goes into extra lives.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I love 5 but consider most of the takes fair, or at least based on truth. Haruka's section desperately needed more songs or a hugher difficulty option; even a more even distribution would help. The only good thing is that misses don't subtract points, so when you meet the requirements you could put the controller down and grab a drink.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Yakuza 2's story is a lot more ambitious/better than 1's, so I can understand the enthusiasm for it but it's not as good as the later games in the series.

Gameplay wise Kiwami 2 is stellar, however.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
First is a sprint, second is a marathon. Match your opponent then overpower him at the end.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
In K2 you can charge your light attack while striking with heavy and vice-versa.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yeah the infinite durability weapons are good. i bought the handgun once i finished the game and because my heat gauge is so high and my kiryu is so constantly drunk, every single street fight is just kiryu up and murdering someone with a triple-tap and a pistol whip

Most of the infinite durability weapons are a trap; they're so weak that they actively punish using a weapon. Best boy Shinada gets so much durability that it's not a huge issue, just have everyone use one or two types to get a high level and keep one or two in your inventory.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Policenaut posted:

You rapidly pile up three rows of puyos on the side then start matching from there and hope that you get chains. Sometimes I'd get like 7 or 8 chains in one go and dump them under an incredible amount of trash. If you YouTube search Yakuza Puyo Puyo there's a video demonstrating it in 6 but there's a bit of luck involved. Use the analog stick to pile the puyos up because it's faster than the dpad.

I tried to tell you guys!

derra posted:

If you are new to Puyo -

Stack the right three columns as fast as you can, all the way to the top, creating groups of three Puyos. When they're full, trigger a grouping near the bottom, which will hopefully cause a chain. Repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Hilariously, the only game where you actually get to run around inside Kamurocho Hills is the non-canon zombie shoother spinoff released between Yakuzas 4 and 5

Yakuza 5 has a endgame section in it