Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i don't remember this reaction when they put numbers over the kanji in mahjong

the tales variant having suit symbols as a reference was helpful as well

Mahjong is the Dark Souls of Yakuza minigames. You didn't learn, you didn't improve, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm 90 hours into Yakuza 0 and still have no idea how Mr. Libido's friendship gauge works for Kiryu or Majima.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Spalec posted:

Im pretty sure Majimas is based on watching the sexy videos and Kiyrus is on the photos cards.

I was worried that you needed the specific card/video that corresponded to whichever girl he was talking about at the time, but it turns out all I needed to do was spank it to more videos :v:

Another question: what's the song that plays for the final bosses for Real Estate/Cabaret Club? It's different from the regular (unbelievably good) real estate encounter song.
https://youtu.be/RlEGflonuZA

Edit: Found it. It's insane how many songs there are that play in incredibly specific contexts.
https://youtu.be/8oEtz0Ziij8

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 4, 2019

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Zushio posted:

See that's part of what I was expecting 0 to cover in some way when I found out about it. Instead we get to fight a giant 13 year old. Twice.

What in fresh hell is going on with Ryuji's genes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Petit Gregory posted:

Oh that dude.

For some reason I thought Zushio was referring to Nishitani.

When talking about Yakuza people are likely to be speaking literally and not metaphorically.

That fight really brings out how hilariously lethal Majima's heat actions are. When that John Wick maneuver of sticking the bat in his mouth and twisting it came out :stonklol:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ytlaya posted:

I actually appreciated how Tachibana taking a crowbar to the head wasn't something he could just shrug off with burning spirit or whatever.

I was sad that he wasn't ever mentioned in Kiwami 1 (or 6 for that matter).

I comfort myself with the fan theory that the Millennium Tower is cursed because it's haunted by Tachibana''s ghost.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Started Kiwami after finishing Yakuza 0 and even though I already know the loose plot of Yakuza 1 wow these cutscenes are already heavy aren't they :smith:

Reina, Nishiki, I'm so sorry.

mycot fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 11, 2019

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Hwurmp posted:

K1's got so many poo poo substories. They aren't all bad but it's still a shame.

Neo Rasa posted:

It's really bad, so many of them were "poo poo con artists do to tourists in every major city" and it's extremely obvious what stuff is from 2006 and what stuff was new to the remake.

This is no exaggeration I'm 15 hours in and have at least 6 substories that are just "Pay me" "No." cue fight. (That's not even including the multipart substories).

On the other hand

https://twitter.com/mycoooot/status/1150190915790737408?s=19

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Obviously 0 was written with 10+ years of hindsight but going from Majima/Makoto to Kiryu/Yumi is some Goofus and Gallant poo poo. You can really tell where the developers' priorities were too; Kiryu sings a beautiful love song about reuniting and never letting go of....Nishiki.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Taintrunner posted:

I bought a PS3 to beat Yakuza 3-5 with my wife after Kiwami 1 and now she's very mad at me that the new Yakuza news today is a remaster of 3

Thank you for being the sacrifice.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can see that but, why would I care about Nikishiyama without playing 0 first?

Yakuza 1 did not have the best written characters.

Shinjobi posted:

0 did more for Nishiki than anyone ever has.

:smith:

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 26, 2019

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

LorneReams posted:

There were many points where Nishiki could have exit ramped off the bullshit if only he didn't have such a hard-on for wanting to be Kiryu basically. Kazama laid a pretty good plan/trap where he could have succeeded, but he kept loving it up over and over.

Can you spell this out like I'm five because I can't imagine any outcome for Kazama's actions that don't lead to making Nishikiyama insanely bitter and Yakuza 1 playing out the way it does.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 26, 2019

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm sure I'll see Ichiban in his own eventually but for now hearing Nishiki's VA do the Nishiki voice makes me miss Nishiki immeasurably. :smith:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

lovely Wizard posted:

I think a lot of people would be more receptive if they chose an idea that wasn't just "hey we're turning Yakuza into a cookie cutter JRPG".

Yakuza Tycoon? Sure that'd be neat.
Yakuza 'Dungeon Crawler' with Online Co-Op? gently caress yeah.
Yakuza Racing? I'd give it a try.
Yakuza in caveman times? Yes.
Yakuza IN THE FUTURREEEEEE? Go for it.
Yakuza with upgradeable AI teammates and not turn based? DO IT.

Instead they went for a standard JRPG. At first I went "maybe it'll be fun still" but now that I've had a few hours to think about it this is LIKELY (not guaranteed, still hoping high) going to be a waste of an entry, and I think theres a good chance they go back to it in a few years and de-JRPG it.

Out of all the spinoffs I'm really surprised they've never made a co-op (or fake co-op + an ai partner) one since the series has such an emphasis on pairs of characters. It could even be titled...Double Dragon.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Every new tidbit about Ichiban makes him sound completely deranged* and I can't wait.

*not in a Majima "actually in on everything but just gives no fucks" way

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Heavy Metal posted:

So, there's a big Gundam statue, there's a RoboCop statue... will there be a Kiryu statue some day? Kiryu should be honored. Maybe a giant Kiryu painted on the side of a Sega building or something...

Made out of solid gold.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7yRwSnCAic

4gamer TGS stream for Yakuza 7 with live gameplay. There'll be another stream for Sega's side, too.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcCEUgv7NpA

IT'S TIME

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh my god that Dancer outfit.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Y0 Kiryu carjacking Nishikiyama's beloved sports car.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

It's a lovely day in Kamurocho

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordiceius posted:

What do you mean by that? I figured I could expect unevenness across the games, but moving forward, what should I expect?

Idk what's with the doomsaying Kiwami is basically Y0 with a poorly considered upgrade system and infinitely worse substory writing (other than the ones retroactively added by Kiwami). It's a must play after Zero because it will blow your mind how everything in Zero was actually setup for events in Y1/Kiwami.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 4, 2019

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone here say Kiwami 1 is bad. It's really faithful to the original game. It's just way outshined by Y0, and seems like a jarring shift in quality for any newcomers going from Y0 to K1. The combat doesn't feel as good, some of the systems are a downgrade, and also the lack of autosave.

Y0 has no autosave; Kiwami is actually an upgrade by actually letting you save at the menu instead of phonebooths

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordiceius posted:

I also appreciate how intensely loving bleak and depressing the main story of these games are.

Everyone is hosed up and damaged and nobody gets a happy ending.

I feel they really nailed that aspect of gangster stories.

Being a recurring Yakuza character is the most detrimental possible thing to your emotional wellbeing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordiceius posted:

2 - Majima is 100% gay for Kiryu, right? There has to be about a billion slash fictions of those two, right?

Google search Kazumaji and you'll have all your answers.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Blockhouse posted:

I think if I have one criticism of the franchise (other than, y'know, how women usually get treated) it's that they always feel deathly terrified to let protagonists do anything that might be even a little sketchy beyond "beat people up" or "cause property damage while beating people up".

It feels just like the sort of retcon that would happen in a long running comic book series but it's in the same game that created Saejima to begin with so instead it's insane.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

And Tyler Too! posted:

I will be forever miffed that all the characters who seem to come back from the dead are always the worst ones. Rikiya deserved better :smith:

We need a Dead Souls 2 for the sole purpose of bringing back more cool dead characters.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Zushio posted:

There is also that Telephone Dating mission where Kiryu get seduced by a trans-woman and kinda freaks out. Which resolves with the women's brother (who is also trans) attacking you. You end up fighting both.

The only problem with the Y0>YK1 combo is that you get a double dose of Y0's....weirdness towards the subject and the lovely substories from the original Y1. After I checked the dates of when this stuff came out IRL I do think the series generally got better after this point (the edits to the Y3 remaster were done after Y0), but whew is it a rough road if you enter the series chronologically.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The Pizza Pimp substory is worth it because it is Kiryu at his most himbo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

seiferguy posted:

After beating Kiwami, what game should I play next? Yakuza 0 or Kiwami 2? I haven’t played any other Yakuza games.

Play Zero and embrace all that sweet sweet dramatic irony.

Nishiki! :negative:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Mesuking also isn't actually rng, every npc enemy has a tell for what kind of move they'll do next.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I remember reaching the point where Kiryu goes to Sotenbori for the first time and feeling momentary terror at the idea of each character having a set of sidequests for both cities. But no the characters have all their content bound to their respective city. There's some funny flavor text though like Majima having no interest in the Pocket Circuit building because it's a game for kids.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe I missed it in the 2 hours of ending cutscene for Y0 but did they ever explain who set Kiryuu up?

IIRC around when Lao Gui is introduced there's a conversation where the characters mention that Kiryu being framed for murder and Dojima having a perfectly accurate super hitman on his payroll is probably not a coincidence.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ville Valo posted:

For the life of my I can’t figure out which phone line dates I’m missing to complete that series of sub stories in Y0. I’ve done the rest of the sub stories so I should really finish this out, but the repeats are killing me. Any tips?

There are 3 variations of each girl: a bad date, good date, and a result where Kiryu gets catfish'd that is shared by all 3 and only counts as one substory.

The easiest way of telling them apart is just watching the speed/strictness of the QTE to pick up the phone. The faster the QTE, the "better" the result.

I can't believe I did every substory in Yakuza 0.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

isk posted:

So include one or both as examples? People are bad at telepathy

I'm pretty sure they're asking about first-person pronouns that characters use for themselves.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Wolfsheim posted:

-The plot is....uhh, questionable. I know 0 also had a habit of the last 1/4th being lots of heavy exposition punctuated by shirtless fights but man, when you get to the boat and Kazama just dumps the entire plot on you at once it's a little much. It also feels weird that the end of 0 basically sets up this loving family of friends and a seemingly persistent villain and while I knew Nishiki was the villain in this one I didn't expect every major NPC still alive at the end of 0 to die here. It retroactively makes Shimano's scheming seem way more lucky than smart in 0 because his decade+ master plan here ended up with him throwing grenades at a boat and then getting shot like a dipshit. And then some guy takes over Tojo that I barely recognized as being friends with Kazama or something because he seriously had like four lines

I figured that from the point of view from those who played the series as it released Kiryu's ending in Yakuza 0 is just killer dramatic irony.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
From what I can tell the difference between Shenmue and Yakuza is that Yakuza is intentional comedy and Shenmue is unintentional comedy, if that makes any sense.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Gort posted:

I do think it's a shame that Clan Creator only lets you bring along like five named characters, and then has a zillion faceless goons you can spawn. Let me bring everyone!

Ngl I was severely tempted to buy the overpriced clan creator dlc just to get people to sing the Majima Construction anthem.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Doesn't Mark Hamill still show up in cheap CW shows (not a diss I love that about him)? It's not impossible .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
With that wording it's almost certainly updates to the Japan-only mobage.