Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hate Rush mode but it's handy for any places where you can't afford to take hits (ie the colosseum) because you can dodge forever. But its damage and range is poo poo and you get virtually no chance for heat actions during the 0.2 seconds it ever stuns people for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Switch to the style that's the same colour as their aura and hope you have at least one heat charge or some items to give you it. Also you need to unlock the skills, one for style, they're very low down in the skill tree though, I think three points each? Get Rush first.
You can lock on by holding down R1, it's kind of not that useful though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress Lau Kar Long ughhh

TheLoser posted:

I got whiplash from the sidequest with the horrible trans joke and then visiting the gay hostess. Both she and Kiryu are so matter-of-fact when talking about queer people; it's bizarre.

The hostess stuff is new, a lot of the side stories are from 2005.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlestonJew posted:

Just run around the room in beast style and break all his fancy vases on his head

I did it the exact opposite way and danced around him in Rush taking potshots :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is the Yakuza 1 story way more bloody than later games or am I misremembering?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's the way all the bosses dodge or block constantly and every two or three hits knocks you down so you have to tap X a lot.

Also if you like shitloads of exp wait til the end of chapter 9.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry you get cheesecake vids for at least both hostesses.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god the BADboy side story, I'm in tears

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah Dragon of Dojima style and Majima Everywhere isn't a great idea because it means that unless you deliberately grind it out you're never going to unlock any of the good skills before the end of the game and there's nothing to use them on. Even if you do try you'll sometimes find yourself gated by story progress.
Similarly Komaki moves being gated behind spending ages in the colosseum also sucks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fat Samurai posted:

At which point does Dragon style become good? I'm on C level Majima and it seems sluggish, with very short combos and slow to get Heat with.

I'm on 50% completion, 30 hours and Majima rank A and so far never.

Apparently Tiger Drop is broken but that requires me getting another like 10000 points in the colosseum and gently caress that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If he's stood outside the entrance to West Park he won't do anything until you move the story forwards.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol at the (chapter 11 spoilers) scene they added so it wouldn't seem weird that Majima turned up with a bandaged stomach at Shangri La.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Giving the final boss the red recharge aura was an assholish move even though it works thematically I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes because some require a certain time of day or Haruka to be with you, however they're all available in Premium Adventure after you finish the game afaik.
Also one of the early CP items is an accessory that makes side stories show up on the map.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Decided to go back and finish my probably more than 3/4 complete play through of Yakuza 3 that I haven't touched since the middle of last year, nothing can go wrong with this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How do weapon mods work again in Yakuza 3? I've got recipes but I've no idea how/where to use them, I thought it might be at the arms dealer but I can only sell and buy stuff there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not that I saw, other than the skill that stops you flinching from bullets in Climax Heat mode. And yes that boss sucked and was a pain in the arse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Caitlin posted:

Reading this thread is amusing to me. Lots of "the fights are too hard!" and I'm sitting here in chapter 3 stomping people's faces in because I am hopelessly addicted to sidequesting. It's like "yeah, I mean, I guess I should visit Serena like it tells me to, but did you SEE that sidequest"

Yeah I thought that in chapter 3 too lol.

Thinks change once you've maxed out every skill by chapter 10

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Yakuza 3, I was closer to the end than I thought. :v: Man all the end boss fights in that were way better than Kiwami, it even managed to make a gun boss fun (the CIA dude).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hah, thanks! I already found it by looking in the manual(!!) though.

Was there a thing I had to remember not to do in Yakuza 4, like wait until a certain character before I opened the lockers or something along those lines?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Music licensing in Japan is a nightmare

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool thanks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I figured out the rules of Koi Koi in Tales of Berseria, unfortunately all the pictures and suits oddly don't have Tales characters on them this time...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gutcruncher posted:

Playing Kiwami I got to a part I totally forgot about. Is Haruka psychic or something and they never follow up on that ver?

When I first got to that bit when I played original Yakuza 1 and my closest comparison was Shenmue I thought it was gonna introduce a fantasy element to it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also jesus Akiyama, not lending money to a mother who's run away from her drunken husband because she doesn't want to be a prostitute is a bit, uh...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess, this is the only time other than the 'get chased by an ugly trans person' side quest in 3 that something genuinely bothered me though. And even that ended with a typical Kiryu 'you are who you are that's all that matters'.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Caitlin posted:

I dunno, I was pretty bothered by their treatment of Hana too.

Oh yeah I forgot about that...

I want Kiryu back.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Makes sense that mister 'hard work, bootstraps, bootstraps' turns out to only be rich because of dumb luck.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The secret is to nudge it into the hole not grab

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well even putting aside whatever you think of the 'I asked you to get any job but you're a good looking gal and you didn't ask at the brothels or soapland or massage parlours so, sorry' aspect it was still incredibly dickish of him not to give her a loan when he's given more money to worse people for worse reasons.
I get that sub story is only there so you're like 'oh yeah he's not a charity and won't just give money to anyone' but they picked the worst way to do it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheCenturion posted:

Wouldn't the idea have been that by taking the unsavoury job, she'd have proven her worthiness for Akiyama's help, but he wouldn't have actually let her perform the work? He'd just get a call from the manager saying "Yeah, that woman you told us to keep an eye out for showed up today."

Like it's possible but it's never mentioned that's his plan at any point and he says earlier that one of his tests was to make someone work in the red light district so :shrug:

Anyway that and the constant use of 'tranny bar' is making 4 something of a chore so far but it's also still fun to play and I want to find out what going on so eh :/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

These Saejima prison guard fights are loving poo poo, Yakuza 4 is like nothing but low points so far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not, it's just incredibly tedious when he charges two full health bars back up without you being able to do anything about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

I thought in past threads it had come up that Akiyama's "rape joke" was a case of bad translation, in that he knew she's a martial arts badass and therefore the guys were idiots for thinking she was a pushover, and not "because Hana's fat"?

That's probably it (or hopefully) it's just that at the time you don't know that so Akiyama's little chuckle at her worrying about getting raped seemed like a much more mean spirited 'heh she's too fat/ugly for that' and it's only later that you find out that she's a badass and wouldn't really be in any danger.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gaz-L posted:

I know it's about 80% Japanese cultural sexism and 20% not wanting to show Haruka getting beaten up, but I think they could've done some kind of high school gang stuff with her to avoid having 40 year old dudes smacking her around. Have her fighting other teen girls that are being used as pawns in some kind of convoluted conspiracy.

Yeah if it's one thing the Japanese hate it's stories about schoolgirls beating people up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Deified Data posted:

I have never seen trans issues handled seriously or appropriately in a Japanese property.

Look up Wandering Son/Horo Musuko

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saejima killed like 18 unless that's going to turn out to be a huge twist down the line

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Betting he's a big Idolmaster fan

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's vaguely possible Sega might want to slot something in between 6 and Kiwami 2 but possible they won't want to go back to an older game either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wasn't Deep Silver working on bringing over Kiwami? I didn't see their name anywhere on the box or opening of the game.

For whatever reason Sega seems to like publishing Yakuza itself in Europe instead of leaving it Deep Silver like all its other RPG type stuff.