Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

harperdc posted:

It’s licensed, I’m not sure why people are so surprised Japanese devs made extremely accurate content based on licensed materials.

It's the kind of poo poo where if you didn't know any better, you'd think it was something they made up for the game because it's exactly that absurd. That's why people are reacting, mr. android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I ebayed a PS3 as soon as I finished Zero on PC.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
gently caress that, I picked up a used PS3 for 40 bucks. Figure by the time Kiwami 2 and 6 comes out on PC, I'll have finished 3,4,5 and kiwami.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it's gonna be called "Judgement" in the west and this is not going to be the theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEkwHrzPtOk

which is a fact we all have to accept

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Carlosologist posted:

So I started Yakuza 4 since it's available on PS Now

Akiyama is a cool guy, I like him! if the remasters make these games look like Y0 I'm gonna be pretty happy

Yakuza 4 is rough in parts for sure, but Y5, even on the PS3 is a better looking game than Zero imho. PS Now streaming really fucks with 4, rain for example completely breaks the codec. I found it so irritating I picked up a used PS3 and it's infinitely better.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Akuma posted:

Heads up, review embargo for Kiwami PC got pulled forwards to today, reviews are going up!

As you've now seen we back ported a lot of stuff we had the time to do in Kiwami to Zero, most notably much better ultrawide support.

I really pushed to back port auto save/save anywhere but I just couldn't get the support :( I... failed you...

You brought Kiwami to PC with better support than zero, backported improvements in a patch you didn't have to release, and you're selling both at a more than fair price. You're doing God's work, my friend.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i had to preorder kiwami for pc.

me too. if you're reading this, so do you.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yakuza 4 actually owns. the only way it could be better is if they let you play as Hana in the remaster.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El8LasOO-3Q&t=115s

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I started with Zero when it came out on PC, then played through 4 and the first 5 chapters of 5. Now Kiwami's out on PC, so I'm gonna play that in glorious 4K, then K2, then go back to 3, then finish 5, then play 6.

i'm just posting this so when they have to cut my dessicated corpse out of my couch, someone will know why.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Crabtree posted:

Wait, did they actually take out the anti trans Michiru sub stories in the Yakuza 3 remaster?

apparently yes, thank god. there's an interesting interview with the localization team about it:

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/01/02/a-conversation-with-segas-localization-team-on-censorship-consistency-and-comedy

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dessel posted:

Detroit... Yikes.

david cage is a garbage person

like, he's the sort of person that kiryu would meet in a substory and just shake his head and walk away from

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SpaceCommie posted:

That's a relief I thought something was broken.

Even with the black border round the screen it's ace to be back with Kiryu.

you should verify your game files, sounds like your shits all hosed up

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Gorn Myson posted:

its more of an expansion than a full blown huge game

It really isn't that. It's a total remake of the original PS2 game. Which is extremely awesome and is still more content and fun than I've gotten from $60 titles this year.

It just pales in comparison to Zero and Kiwami 2 because holy poo poo those games. I'm having more fun with Kiwami than 4, that's for sure.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
well yeah, it's a vidya game from 2005. you should check out the original english dub, it's a hoot

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

derra posted:

Dump Akiyama instead.

how very dare you

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Carlosologist posted:

0-2 would also be in the glorious Dragon Engine so that's a thing as well

huh? they're definitely not remastering zero or the kiwamis afaik, they're still for sale

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They're talking about a hypothetical game set in between Yakuza 0 and 1, not zero through two

oh lol

i'm super on board with that, but it would have to be majima only for three reasons

1. it would be v. weird if they made another kiryu game this soon after 6
2. the only remaining continuity problem between 0 and 1 is "wtf happened to goro"
3. it would be a majima game

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
tbf, if I knew Kiryu in real life I would spend basically all my time subtly messing with him because he's the most innocent perfect boy ever.

edit: it just occurred to me that in Yakuza the video game series, Kiryu is only technically a Yakuza for Zero and about 5 minutes of 1 (offscreen)

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 25, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
so i finish Kiwami and i'm like drat that was depressing but hell yeah let's jump right into Kiwami 2

start running around sotenbori and busting punks in the Poppo and i'm like holy gently caress this is the best

run around the corner to get some karaoke in, fire up the first song ok TONIGHT sounds good let's go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r-4KTsutXM

:negative:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
good lord

early kiwami 2 is giving me a real different opinion on daigo "douchechills" dojima after playing 4.

edit: oh my god poison mitsuo

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 27, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I would buy K2 again for PC in a heartbeat. The PS4 can just barely scrape together 30fps if you point a fan at it and pray. It's so loving pretty though, and the loading is way more seamless between environments in ways that drastically change the feel of the game.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Marry gently caress kill
Kiryu Majima nishiki

majima, majima, majima

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
just finished Kiwami 2.

it's a masterpiece remake of a masterpiece game. good lord. Easily the high note of the series story-wise, and the best ending, though I haven't finished 5, or played 3 or 6.

I'll go back and complete some more haruka requests and finish the cabaret story at some point but I doubt I'll get all the way through Majima Construction. The clan creator stuff is fine, but fine is hard to appreciate when everything else is excellent.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Expect My Mom posted:

I saw Kiryu throw like twenty dudes off of a moving truck yesterday but honestly they had it coming

i mean the last guy got his face run over by an 18 wheeler after kiryu punched him a lot, but that was clearly his fault for being so clumsy. The rest survived, I'm sure.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I think zero and k2 are tied for best in series, they're equally great in different ways.

but yeah if k2 isn't at least a close second i don't know what's going on with you, i think you might need to talk to someone.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Deadguy2322 posted:

God forbid you buy the primary platform the series is made for!

Why are you dunking on people for not owning a Sony PlayStation game console? That's not a very nice way to behave.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
"... but the problem with that, you see, is the property taxes."

"buk buk buk. buk buk BGAWK!!!"

"so we need to build an addition and take out a loan on the equity?"

"buk buk buk"

"Ok great, you work it out with the zoning board, I'll get the contract started"

"buk buk BGAWK buk buk buk"

"I hope you're not gonna tell him that to his face."

"BGAWK"

"drat nugget, you're stone cold"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm really having to try and get myself to finish Y3. I'd heard things about its story and they're all true.

I'm having a hard time starting it honestly. Going from K2 to Y3 is a real jump off a cliff. I don't mind the controls or the jank so much, but god drat the localization is a mess. It's still got a little bit of "sweary syndrome" from the PS2 era and why did they rename Kazama? It's loving subtitled, I can see and hear the characters using his name, you're not fooling anyone with this Fuma poo poo.

Relatively minor complaint I guess, but I might just skip 3 again and finish 5 and 6 while I wait for the remaster. I dunno how they can fix the opening scenes with Kaoru though. "Huh, welp looks like they're just friends after all" holy poo poo gently caress youuuuuu

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think the Kazama/Fuma thing was because they were concerned people might think (Kazuma) Kiryu and Kazama were blood-related.

Either 4 or 5 was the first Yakuza game with a good localization iirc.

I didn't notice anything weird about the localization for 4, which means it's excellent imo. The Fuma thing makes logical sense I guess, but whenever I'm watching something in a language I don't understand I listen for proper nouns so I can understand where they are in the script. It's not even entirely a conscious process which is why name changes like that throw me off so bad.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sakurazuka posted:

I dislike 4 much more but mainly because of the extra lovely way women get treated in that game.

I hope they rewrite Hana's last scene in 4. They made this badass character and just hosed it all up in the epilogue with a throwaway joke.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
hrm.

should i play through 3, then finish 5 and dive into 6, or save 3 for later and just get through 5?

Considering the last one I finished was K2, I might wait for the remaster for 3, the jank is real.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
good lord am I really gonna preorder K2 for PC like a week after finishing it on ps4?

why you gotta do this nagoshi-san

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

My Lovely Horse posted:

cause that stuck with me all this time and I was really expecting it to be an exaggeration

lol yeah no. End of 4 really feels like they ran out of ideas, but I like it that way (except that last scene with Hana can get hosed)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ryuga Death posted:

Anyone playing Kiwami 2 for the first time tomorrow, you should watch this trailer first!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuIDxjeIuVo

:thatsrad: as gently caress holy poo poo

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
but that steamy onomichi ramen hat! how could anyone resist?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

this was in the ps4 thread but it belongs here.

and in my heart forever

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
beat takeshi's doing some midnight baby tossing what's confusing about that

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

julian assflange posted:

Seems to be plenty of mini games at least (and arcade games) but I’m not sure if the tone of the side quests will be the same. I’d be surprised if they played it totally straight.

has RGG studio made a totally serious game, ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Is it weird that I just want them to bring back the Kamurocho parking garage? I've been trying to go down there since 4 and they never let us go in again. I just want those stairs to work, they're right there!