Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

This is my first Yakuza game and I would just like to say

Majima rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

the localization of this game is so goddamn good

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Ready Player One (2018)

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

man nurse posted:

Majima Everywhere wears out its welcome fast

I kind of blew through Kiwami to get to Kiwami 2 (highly recommended, Kiwami is good but 2 blows it out of the water) but I never got sick of Majima everywhere. I only got him to just under A rank though, I hear he becomes a slog after that.

As for the regenerating health, it never gave me too much trouble. Just make sure you buy the Climax skills for each fighting style ASAP and pump your XP into Heat upgrades. Also carry around a poo poo ton of Tauriner/ wail on them in rush style to build heat.

Anyways I just beat Kiwami 2 and it was amazing all around. I think 0 still has it beat on content but that new engine is just so pretty...

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I think we should all spend the next month til Kiwami comes out posting our DXdiag reports just to make sure our autism boxes can run it

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

If I exclusively feed Kiryu at Smile Burger I expect him to gain 80 lbs. I want to be fat Kiryu.

You know what really pisses me off about Kiwami and Kiwami 2? No free smile.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Random Hajile posted:

The Millennium Tower blowing up just means it's Takoyaki Tuesday.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Is Fist of the North Star worth 30 bucks if I love Yakuza but know nothing about the series its based on?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Ippatsu is when you win by either ron or tsumo in the first round of discards after declaring riichi. if the round gets interrupted by a discard call like pon/chii then you can't get ippatsu anymore

I feel bad because Mahjong guy is one of the earlier substories you run into in Kiwami 2 and I really want Kiryu to help everyone, but it's like, sorry dude, you're hosed

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Kiwami 2 is amazing at 30fps on the PS4, it's going to be mindblowing running at higher framerates

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Casull posted:

The crowds don't cheer for me during combat. This feels like a step backwards. :v:

Fight music's pretty sweet though, although I'm gonna have to get used to not switching styles during combat.

In Kiwami 2? Yeah they do, they just stand way further away.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

It's not even a mod, it's just a change in the settings file

Edit: Oh, didn't know they patched that out...

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

Today I learned that Kunio Ichinose, the president of Ikinari Steaks that you can befriend in Judgment, is the actual president of Ikinari Steaks. That sentence sounds super dumb now that I’m reading it back but I’m floored by the fact that the president of a steakhouse franchise has a cameo in one of these games and I’m not sure why considering how many other guest cameos this series is littered with.

https://twitter.com/triggerredd/status/1150417041167245314?s=21

I was actually wondering if it was a real place, that sidestory gave me the same vibes as the Cup Noodle quest in FFXV.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Greguisition/status/1163129610793553920?s=20

NANI??

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

wuggles posted:

Started Kiwami 1 finally.

I was frustrated by the opening difficulty, and then I remembered to switch out of Dragon style lol.

Majima showing up when I bought bento was hilarious.

When they say Majima everywhere they mean Majima everywhere

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not too surprised, the side story to unlock him has both befriending a character and bowling a few strikes in a row. I needed a guide to figure out how to get strikes consistently.

I liked the bowling because it's literally just Monkey Bowling from Super Monkey Ball 2

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Just beat Judgement after playing it on and off since it came out, definitely one of the best in the series. Really great stuff on the cutscene/presentation side of the game. Those missions where you follow people can get hosed though, the longer ones are so tedious.

Non spoilers for the point of no return but holy poo poo do they throw a lot at you. I maxed out my healing items (no medium or large medkits though) and bought an absolute fuckton of food from Poppo and I still was down to the wire by the end. They don't give you anything the entire time either, can't imagine what it's like on the harder difficulty. Now that I'm thinking about it the mortal damage system is bad too, they can feel free to not bring that back.

robot roll call fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 14, 2020

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

isk posted:

:same:

I liked most everything else about the combat; mortal damage attacks felt too unforgiving to me.

They might have been fine if they didn't make quickstep some bullshit in Judgement. I felt like I could never get out of the way in time and ate most of the mortal attacks.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Has anyone posted the Kiryu summon yet? It has to be AT LEAST as badass as that Majima summon, right??

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

folks it is friday

https://twitter.com/YakuzaFriday/status/1225842012525604865?s=20

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/punch_je/status/1250205999811575808?s=20

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

redreader posted:

I just finished Yakuza Kiwami 1. What a fantastic game. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for all of the help here. A couple of questions or observations.

It's worth getting majima SSS even if you don't get every single majima thing. Also as people said it's worth getting tiger drop. It sort of sucks for multiple opponents but it rules for single opponents. I got pretty much every majima ability except the final coliseum prize, both of the 'sexy card game' abilities (didn't try that game) and the 'final majima' ability. I suppose it might be worth loading the final majima cutscene for that fight to see what he has to say.

-Why would you get a koi tattoo? Is there some cultural thing I'm missing?
-How the gently caress is Nishiki so tough! He acted like a scared idiot the entire game! Oh well, I'm very glad I had tiger drop there.
-Why did Yumi immediately start dating that guy? I remember she said something lame near the end then said 'so... that's why I had to do it' and I was like ... clearly I wasn't paying attention? That sounded like a terrible reason!

I think there's a bit of input lag on my TV because it was often really tough to get tiger drop to trigger. I bought YK2 for PC though so that won't be an issue.

So what can I expect from YK2, now that I've played 0 and 1?

Cabaret is back and it ties into 0, it's amazing.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

If anyone is wondering when the 3-5 trilogy is coming out on PC, I am *this close* to buying it on PSN and they will announce it the second I do.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1253700226814291970?s=20

Well what do you know, it's on sale! Get ready for the PC release because I have it downloading now

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I'm on Chapter 6 of 3 and it doesn't feel as archaic as I thought it would, not really much worse than 0 or Kiwami. The Okinawa stuff was starting to drag a bit though so it's nice to be back in Kamurocho.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Brass Hand posted:

It’s not too bad really it’s just the relative sparseness of the gameworlds and character animations that reveal it’s age.

The heat animations are definitely still relatively grounded but there's been some wacky poo poo in the revelations and in a few of the bigger fights so far. The lack of restaurants really stands out. The lack of substory music is noticeable too, no little "it's over" guitar riff or very special episode music for the "I learned something today" moments. Some of the substories have been 0/Kiwami par though.

Really I'm just surprised how decent it looks and runs. How extensive was the HD remaster?

Edit: Went ahead and looked up a comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj52-D7gLhI

Way more sharp and smooth, looks like the localization got another pass too. The writing feels as strong as 0 through Kiwami 2, so that's cool. I thought I'd be blowing through 3 to get to the more "modern" ones but I'm really enjoying it!

robot roll call fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 25, 2020

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Judgement takes like 5 chapters to open all the way up

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Yakuza 3 got pretty wacky at the end there. Probably my least favorite so far but I still enjoyed it and it was worth the playthrough, I didn't really go out of my way to do any side stuff though. The combat wasn't really too bullshit outside of all the blocking everyone mentioned. I need a little break but I am excited to move on to these weird multiple character games

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Really I just loved all the lovely english voice acting

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Re: Shenmue

You know how Yakuza always feels like it's rushing you to the next plot point even though there are millions of side things to do? Shenmue has more of a cadence to it. You wake up, follow leads, kill some time here and there and come home before curfew. You'll develop little habits like stopping in the convenience store or grabbing a few capsule toys out of a machine you always walk past. Compared to Yakuza it barely has any fighting. Instead of the non stop bombast it's very straitlaced and earnest, almost in a corny way. I love the series, even 3, and I'd definitely recommend it, just be ready for something a bit slower and quieter.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I'm a ways into Tanimura's story and really enjoying Y4 so far. The combat is SO much better than 3 it's crazy and each new character has been fun in their own way. Saejima was a bit on rails but I think it's cool you can finally go down those stairs on the main drag, too bad those areas didn't stick around for the Dragon Engine games.

I really wish I got a screenshot of Majima saying "C'mon bro, strip" to Saejima when they fight in the batting cage, lol

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Y4: I'm in the finale. Tanimura is who I want the Sacred Tree set on, right?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Just beat 4, loved the finale. Kind of dumb plot wise RUBBER BULLETS but how can you not get hyped when all 4 dudes hop out of the helicopter in Reservoir Dogs suits and Akiyama says "Alright, everyone pick an rear end to kick" as you all go into your separate showdowns. This game can definitely hang with Zero and Kiwami 2. Side note, I was having a bit of trouble with Akiyama's Suicidal Running training and questioning whether it was worth it to get the Sacred Tree set for Tanimura and all I can say is yes, yes it was.

I was gonna take a break but I had such a good time with this game that I'm going right into 5 and I'm really going to take my time with it. The goal is to have 5 and 6 finished by the time Like a Dragon comes out. From what it sounds like, 5 is going to take me a month on its own...

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Look, if those homeless guys want money they can do the same thing Akiyama did, hang out by the Millennium Tower and wait for it to rain money. It's already happened twice so far so there are good odds it will happen again. (I haven't played 5 or 6, don't tell me if it happens again)

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Just started 5 the other night, very cool so far. I feel like I've finally "caught up" a bit, the gameplay/presentation seems about on par with 0. I love the taxi driving stuff, the contrast between extremely careful driving and insane Tokyo Drift street races is just so...Yakuza. I heard this is the biggest and most content packed game so I am really going to take my time with it. I've got what, 3 months to beat this and 6?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I recently beat 4 and I am almost done with Shinada's section in 5 and I'd say doing a Kiwami of either of those games would be a waste of time. They don't have any glaring issues the Dragon Engine would improve.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Just beat 5, 47 hours with 26 percent completion. That includes all side stories (except Amon) and all the main side job missions. Hell of a game! The plot is a total mess but each individual section was so enjoyable that I don't really care. I think the fact that all the side jobs were actually fun is what impressed me the most. My HD Trilogy ranking is 5>4>3, although I could see putting 4 over 5 if you like the multiple characters but you're looking for something a little more traditional and to the point. I didn't find 3 to be as bad as a lot of this thread does either, it's just kind of bare-bones compared to 4 and 5. At any rate, even at full price the HD Trilogy is an insane game per dollar ratio. Can't wait to get started on 6!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Taxi stands way up there with 0 and K2 Cabaret for both fun factor and quality of the story arc.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I just countered Nair into the walls over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

stev posted:

I do enjoy that Y0 spends more time explaining how Kiryu got his classic suit than how Majima turned into the Joker.

I see this take a lot and I kind of felt the same way until I played 3-5. Not only is Majima in those games way less than I would have thought based on 0 and Kiwami 1 and 2, but his characterization in the later games is a bit more buttoned down and pretty close to how he is portrayed in 0. It seems like they really amped him up for the Kiwami games.